AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-18, 23:39   Link #1501
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh by the way. Having that Ghost Ship stuffed in subspace is a perfect way for it to remain "hidden" for so long. So, I'll buy into that...

Except...

How can you have the technology to access subspace - but not light speed travel? As far as I know, you need something similar to "warp drive" to even get to subspace.

And as I double-check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subspace
And referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersp...cience_fiction)

So, I suppose it is possible (in the science fiction realm) to have a device capable of access subspace without light speed. Yet, I can imagine the energies required to do either would be similar.

As I get to the Macross/Robotech section... OK. I'll go with that explanation.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 23:45   Link #1502
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
That generally shouldn't work, unless someone else higher up in the royal family is in on it. Frankly, as seventh and eigth princesses, neither Gruelle nor Grunhilde should have any real authority to speak of, unless something untoward has happened to princesses 1 through 6. Neither of them would even be considered an heir to the throne so long as any of their older siblings were still alive, and it seems very unlikely that military forces would support a child as young as Grunhilde over her older sister, when she isn't even close to being an immediate choice for ruler. Unless, as I said, someone higher-ranking in the royal family is also supporting Grunhilde over Gruelle.
I think it all comes back to the Golden Ship. There is something about it that makes it very important and only a member of the royal family can gain access to whatever that important something maybe.

Be it data, riches, weapons, or any kind of lost technology...Grunhilde would seem to be the easiest target for manipulation being as young and impressionable as she is someone must be pulling the strings.
Old 2012-03-18, 23:59   Link #1503
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That assumes Gruelle and Gruhilde age normally. Also assumes they aren't clones.

Both are possible, despite Gruelle saying she's 13 years old. She had meet Marika's father before. While that shouldn't take much considering he just died and Marika isn't much older than Gruelle. Jenny has meet Gruelle before, so we know the Princess goes to important social fuctions.

Yet there is still something missing. Something about the Princesses and this colony ship. Something Gruelle would like to do alone, but Marika won't let her.

(Also it is Grunhilde de geso~)

There are some fictions that subspace differently than others. Space Battleship Yamato III had subspace submarines that "submerged" into subspace to say hidden from real space sensors. They could even fire torpeodes from subspace to real space and attack (though they needed a periscope to poke into real space to aim). Mind you that Space Battleship Yamato is usually refences as World War II in Space, in terms of how things work.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-19 at 00:10.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 00:11   Link #1504
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Except...

How can you have the technology to access subspace - but not light speed travel? As far as I know, you need something similar to "warp drive" to even get to subspace.
Hmm.. what if the golden ship that appeared is actually not the ghost ship that they were looking for, but a similar looking and recently built ship by the Serenity royal family? To hide the ship's production and identity, they camouflaged it with the story of a similar looking ghost ship. I mean, even the appearance is different (fat vs skinny).
Old 2012-03-19, 00:14   Link #1505
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actaully, looking more carefully at the two images of the ship...it has been extended. Every part of the original ship seems to be there, but the flat section in the middle of the ball looking parts has been expanded to make cylinder. The ship only looks smaller because whoever took it had to be farther away to get the whole thing into frame.

Old 2012-03-19, 00:41   Link #1506
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Maybe one explanation is that the second ship (cylinder one) was made with the intention of being very similar to the first ship (circular one), for the reason I mention above. Since the first ship was originally from Serenity as well, I'm sure they wouldn't have had any problems in making a very similar looking ship. I feel like everything would be explained if the above two ships are completely different ships. Why would the two princesses be looking for an obsolete ghost ship so passionately precisely at this moment, after so long? Of course, I could be completely wrong about this.

And sorry if this was already discussed to death before. I haven't followed the thread closely until now.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:40   Link #1507
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Taken by an ancient ghost ship in space, trapped and hidden in subspace....if I didn't know better this would be a horror story
Old 2012-03-19, 06:59   Link #1508
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Taken by an ancient ghost ship in space, trapped and hidden in subspace....if I didn't know better this would be a horror story
I know of several tentacle/monster hentai using this as a plot device.............
Old 2012-03-19, 08:00   Link #1509
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Let's hope Sam Neil is not the captain.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:28   Link #1510
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post
Spoiler:
In the novel it went like this:
Marika: Waa. I think Gruelle is already as cute as a doll, but the sister is very beautiful. (pg225)

Roschmann Nuclear Fusion Reactor is the most advanced technology pre-FTL. The Ghost Ship has three of this. When she started her journey, those reactors have been continuously maintained and improved . (pg234)

There was a ship wreck inside the hangar. It is visible in the anime. It belongs to Serenity Royal Investigation fleet and have the shape like Bentenmaru but older than her (more than 120 years). Meaning there were already people came in and out from the Ghost Ship

The next episode should be the last episode for vol 2. I mean, something is returning to somewhere . The reason why the Ghost Ship is a "Ghost Ship" and is able to go to subspace should be explained......if the anime doesn't cut those parts where the pirates make it to the Ghost Ship's main bridge. Although, I also doubt it if the anime will able to show one more character from the ED sequence.......

Interesting reads about nuclear fusion from wiki: Nuclear Fusion ITER

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-03-19 at 09:55.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 11:23   Link #1511
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

First I've heard about this fusion reactor project. All I remember is the research group at Lawrence Livermore Labs in the late 80s and early 90s was working on the concept.
Old 2012-03-19, 12:00   Link #1512
Funkatron
Highly irregular

It could be possible that the FTL drive is just on auto-pilot, set to appear randomly in space or is connected to some weird spacial anomaly that is taking it for a ride. Or whatever FTL drive it has is broken; it takes it into and out of subspace but doesn't have the means to specify a particular point of exit, so it just appears at random.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 12:10   Link #1513
justpassingby

Hmm. May be I should have mentioned that Roschmann is my take on ロシュマン. I don't know if it supposed to mean this Roschmann or this Roschmann, or may be it just some random name

Although, during the shooting training between Ririka and Marika, the guns are said to be as Rheinmetall and ArmaLite models (they trained with different beam guns in the novel)
Old 2012-03-19, 12:14   Link #1514
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I meant the project in France. I'd not heard about it. Though since it is under construction and not finished might be why I never heard of it before.
Old 2012-03-19, 17:30   Link #1515
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I meant the project in France. I'd not heard about it. Though since it is under construction and not finished might be why I never heard of it before.
ITER? Yea. Billions upon billions of dollars, multinational effort, and many years till completion...

I'm starting to think: Fusion can only be mastered when we have more space infrastructure.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 22:14   Link #1516
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Still... Fusion power being sufficient to warp space...? How much fuel is that going to take? I'll stick to matter-antimatter reactions if I want to go to lightspeed.

as for beamguns, you can never go wrong with BlasTech.
Old 2012-03-19, 22:17   Link #1517
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Fusion reactors: Three small stars as power sources. It isn't like small particles are rare. Might even be why they hang out in dense regions of space. More fuel. (Mr. Fusion)
Old 2012-03-20, 00:41   Link #1518
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

M-AM drives use stellar matter too, and buzzard collectors scoop these up while flying at FTL, so the ship only need to carry antimatter.

Even so, 3 small stars, matter or antimatter, is a heck lot of mass to move around... Which is why scifi fuel has always been this wonderous phlebotium that costs no energy to carry around. Trying to define it just exposes you to nerd butthurt.
Old 2012-03-20, 01:31   Link #1519
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

How much of that extra mass added to the vessel is storage tanks for the fuel? How much is just the collectors? They added a lot to the ship since it was launched many, many generations ago.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:33   Link #1520
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yeah... A ship dedicated to just engine and tanks... Functional? Yes. Efficient? Hell no. Necessary? Yes. After all, they are LOST IN SPAAAAAAACE.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri