AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-16, 01:19   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Magical Girl Equivalent of Super Robot Wars.

This is an idea I've recently had.

Given the huge popularity of Madoka Magica, the legacy of Sailor Moon, the memorable moe of Card Captor Sakura, the variety of the PreCure shows, and the longevity of Lyrical Nanoha, do you think it might be cool and/or successful to have a magical girl equivalent of Super Robot Wars?

I know that I definitely would check it out if one was made. What do my fellow anime fans think?
Old 2012-06-16, 01:25   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I think it could work considering that Magical Girl genres have always had an element that changes the story and its concept. If you take Rayearth, it's the a Mecha/Magical Girl hybrid, it was a really well done story that took the Magical Girl elements and mixed with Mecha. Madoka Magica was a Magical Girl title but sort of "betrayed" it in its own way because the story kept getting darker and more complex as times went on. The Magical Girl element was intact, but I think they focused on the complexity of the story a little bit to focus on the magic aspect.

Oh yes, it has to have great music like Senhime Zesshou Symphogear because it neatly combined song, dance, and music added with the Magical Girl status. It was a truly an enjoyable anime, at least to me. In other words, it can be cool idea but it has to have a great plot, key elements that keep the Magical Girl status intact, great music, and also characters that you can connect with.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:31   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There's already a game that has the concept of "magical girls joining forces".

The game is Magical Battle Arena.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 01:37   Link #4
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Well we already have something like this in Magical Battle Arena, but I would love to see a more polished version with a ton more characters. MBA is kind of Nanoha-centric which sort of diminished its value as an encompassing magical girl fighting game in my eyes.

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 01:53   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Actually it already exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Moon_Wars

Battle Moon Wars is a direct reference to SRW, with complete parody animations of SRW, like Fate Testarossa having the animations of Daizengar which she originally referenced.

There's also Queen's Blade and Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos, which were developed by Banpresto themselves.

EDIT: Actually seems like its another game, not Battle Moon Wars which had Fate and other Nanoha and Mahou Shoujo characters.

I don't play those games, but which ever they are, they are out there and are complete references and parodies to SRW.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 02:00   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'd only wonder how a game like this wouldn't be a success. It'd sell itself on brand recognition alone.

Whatever Japan might do for Super Magi Wars, just make sure they can work on balancing issues. I want to use Nanoha without being considered cheap.

Spoiler for For the lulz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Actually it already exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Moon_Wars

Battle Moon Wars is a direct reference to SRW, with complete parody animations of SRW, like Fate Testarossa having the animations of Daizengar which she originally referenced.
Battle Moon Wars is a Type Moon crossover not a Magical Girl crossover.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 02:11   Link #7
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Whatever Japan might do for Super Magi Wars, just make sure they can work on balancing issues. I want to use Nanoha without being considered cheap.
Homuhomu would totally be top tier. Godoka would be...well...god tier. PMMM needs a nerf.

Old 2012-06-16, 02:40   Link #8
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They are plenty of magical girls that can equal god and time skippers.
Old 2012-06-16, 03:00   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The concept would work, yes.

The one possible roadblock I can see is, compared to Robot Anime shows, Magical Girl genre has a lot more "anime based on source manga material", thus licensing issues are a lot more complex.

Most successful robot anime are actually Anime original produtions, where as Magic Girls are more often than not, based on printed material with publishers who hold the licences separate from the anime production studios.
Old 2012-06-16, 03:12   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Wait, Nanoha is already the equivalent of Super Robot Wars. But that would be the problem since that series probably has the most interesting abilities if it were to be a combat game. Well, it depends if you consider Mai-Hime to be a magical girl anime. Said game would be really colorful. But I have a bias towards platformers, if we're talking about that...

You'd have a lot of VA references, most definitely. One humorous one is probably Mami and Yuno or Homura and multiple characters (!) in Nanoha StrikerS

Nanoha probably needs a nerf. SLB's evolving from a bomb to a nuclear weapon as of late.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 03:26   Link #11
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They are plenty of magical girls that can equal god and time skippers.
I'll concede that there are more than a few time skippers/freezers, but which magical girls can purposefully will you out of existence like an actual creator being? And don't be smart and say Belldandy or someone (even as lulzy as that would be).

And I actually don't see why Nanoha would need a nerf. I mean as powerful as the magical pink uber beam of friendship is portrayed, it hardly is a hax ability. I mean, heck, why not nerf Hayate? Isn't she technically more magically powerful than Nanoha?

Old 2012-06-16, 05:37   Link #12
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
There's already a game that has the concept of "magical girls joining forces".

The game is Magical Battle Arena.
I second (or third ) Magical Battle Arena for a concept (and a game) that could be a rough equivalent of Super Robot Wars. I remember playing it some years ago, and while available characters were quite limited, apart from the main Nanoha characters, you could also play as Sakura Kinomoto from CCS, even a couple of main characters from Slayers, twin magical girls from a lesser known VN, and a few characters I didn't recognize.

Each of them had their own Story Mode. Unfortunately, I don't know if somebody ever got around to translating it all, but it was a lot of fun back then even if untranslated. It even has its own thread here on AnimeSuki.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:37   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I probably should have specified that I was thinking of an anime like this moreso than a game of it... although it is cool that there is a game like this (and Battle Moon Wars looks cool too).

About balancing any future games, that wouldn't be too hard. Grief Syndrome, I think, might provide a good basis for how Homura's time powers would work (and then just strictly limit how often this "Time Special" can be activated - Otherwise, yeah, it's hax ). Likewise, just limit the most powerful attack or spell or maneuver of each magical girl (Nanoha, Hayate, etc...) to a set number of "Special" uses. That should keep things reasonably balanced.
Old 2012-06-16, 13:32   Link #14
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makender View Post
I'll concede that there are more than a few time skippers/freezers, but which magical girls can purposefully will you out of existence like an actual creator being? And don't be smart and say Belldandy or someone (even as lulzy as that would be).

Sailor Moon....eventually (Sailor Cosmos). She and Madoka might be the same in many ways...save Moon had to go the long way through time while Madoka has Homura's time loops.
Old 2012-06-16, 15:14   Link #15
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I don't really like Super Robot Wars but I could see a crossover of this magnitude working if you you can get the licenses that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You'd have a lot of VA references, most definitely. One humorous one is probably Mami and Yuno or Homura and multiple characters (!) in Nanoha StrikerS.
You could take things a step further have the character interact in very interesting ways. Like Homura speaking with Fate or Usagi with Sakura but it has to be nartural and not contrived.
Old 2012-06-16, 16:50   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I don't really like Super Robot Wars but I could see a crossover of this magnitude working if you you can get the licenses that is.
As far as I know, you don't like mecha in general, so I take that as your reason for not liking SRW.

But here we are talking about the crossover format of SRW, which has proven over time to be an extremely successful formula that has influenced lots of other crossover turn based strategy games.

Character interaction and cleverly written intertwined plot are two of the reasons why SRW has been so successful. No mecha out there has a better plot than SRW simply because the writers always improve on the original plots and multiply them with endless possibilities of the crossovers.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 20:00   Link #17
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
You know there are lots of foreign magical girl shows such as the Winx Club or WITCH, could they go into the crossover?
Old 2012-06-18, 00:35   Link #18
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I know both series, but aside from having standalone games in much lower consoles (at best the Game Boy Advance, with Winx Club developed with better quality), they're not that famous.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 08:17   Link #19
gsilver

On the subject of magical girl crossovers, there is Magical Chaser:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical...ust_of_Dreams~
Old 2012-06-20, 19:53   Link #20
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I probably should have specified that I was thinking of an anime like this moreso than a game of it... although it is cool that there is a game like this (and Battle Moon Wars looks cool too).
There were some OVAs back in the 80s that had the Studio Pierrot magical girls cross over. I've only seen one long time ago (Alien X from A Zone), but it had Mami, Emi, Pelsia, and Yumi from Studio Pierrot's famous series. The story didn't really tie into any of the real stories, it was more of a fanservice thing (which I guess SRW is anyway).

Studio Pierrot probably had an easier time with the licensing since they did all the anime (and companies back then were probably less anal). Now it would probably be a clusterfuck.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote