AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-08-18, 07:02   Link #1
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Race issues: Privileges, Relations, Racism and other related stuff

I wanted to put a thread where people can talk about news/editorials/cases where race is prominently featured in the modern age.

I'm worried about the thread potentially turning into flame war. I'll just cross my fingers.

To start with, I've recently posted some article about a prominent literature writer named F. Sionil Jose whose anti-Chinese editorials towards the ethnic Chinese Filipino population due to the recent events in the Spratlys, which is understandably is making people nervous.

Though he has come forward via another editorial when he met with Chinese-Filipino businessmen, who had legitimate concerns to raise to him.

To tell truth about Chinoys and love of country are not racist

F. Sionil José and the crime of being born

----

Close the ‘Chinese schools’

A fellow alumni from my school has raised the matter about Jose's comments regarding the closure of ethnic Chinese-based schools, even though they do accept those who are non-Chinese since the 1970s.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-18, 10:54   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I wanted to put a thread where people can talk about news/editorials/cases where race is prominently featured in the modern age.

I'm worried about the thread potentially turning into flame war. I'll just cross my fingers.

To start with, I've recently posted some article about a prominent literature writer named F. Sionil Jose whose anti-Chinese editorials towards the ethnic Chinese Filipino population due to the recent events in the Spratlys, which is understandably is making people nervous.

Though he has come forward via another editorial when he met with Chinese-Filipino businessmen, who had legitimate concerns to raise to him.

To tell truth about Chinoys and love of country are not racist

F. Sionil José and the crime of being born

----

Close the ‘Chinese schools’

A fellow alumni from my school has raised the matter about Jose's comments regarding the closure of ethnic Chinese-based schools, even though they do accept those who are non-Chinese since the 1970s.
Well the hate for Chinks are real in SEA and growing.

I had an incident on the MRT which a lady told me to "go back to your f*cking China" for accidentally bumping into her. I replied to her in Hokkien that I am a Singaporean.

As long as the CCP continues being an ass around here, we Chinese are pretty much sitting ducks for racism. One thing we can do though, is riot outside the Chinese Embassy.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-18, 12:48   Link #3
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

I had an incident on the MRT which a lady told me to "go back to your f*cking China" for accidentally bumping into her. I replied to her in Hokkien that I am a Singaporean.

As long as the CCP continues being an ass around here, we Chinese are pretty much sitting ducks for racism. One thing we can do though, is riot outside the Chinese Embassy.
I think your problem and his problem is very different though the result look similar . Singapore is a matter of nationalism and growing discontent of your migration control while Philippines is suffering from an ethnic conflict.

Personally, that sounds very familiar to me (being Malaysian Chinese). We got our own nutcase brandishing their racial superiority in politics. Honestly, i wish i can give some assurance that it wouldn't turn into an ethnic genocide but I'm not that optimistic about humanity lately.

But i hope writer in Philippines would remind the people that majority of China doesn't view anyone outside of China as their own. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if China take advantage Philippines if internal conflict breaks out and when that does, all of Philippines would suffer irregardless of ethnicity.
Old 2015-08-19, 02:45   Link #4
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

You look very ah tiong meh

But on SEA...what can you expect when we have all this "Bamboo Network" investors running around...
Old 2015-08-19, 05:17   Link #5
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

True that.

This article has the earliest rhetoric on the anti-Chinese in Manila based on his experience dealing with the Japanese occupation.

Although Sionil says now that (and others like him) he just want to make it clear that Chinese-Filipinos should make their voice heard in terms of "I'm Chinese-Filipino, but I oppose to what China's doing in the Spratlys" type of message.

I'm related to one of the rich ethnic Chinese families 'cause of my mom, but he has investments in the mainland (and I think in Hong Kong too). Some people think that publicly, those families aren't willing to risk saying anti-mainland China stuff because of the potential risk of getting into trouble with Beijing.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2015-08-19, 06:43   Link #6
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
True that.

This article has the earliest rhetoric on the anti-Chinese in Manila based on his experience dealing with the Japanese occupation.

Although Sionil says now that (and others like him) he just want to make it clear that Chinese-Filipinos should make their voice heard in terms of "I'm Chinese-Filipino, but I oppose to what China's doing in the Spratlys" type of message.

I'm related to one of the rich ethnic Chinese families 'cause of my mom, but he has investments in the mainland (and I think in Hong Kong too). Some people think that publicly, those families aren't willing to risk saying anti-mainland China stuff because of the potential risk of getting into trouble with Beijing.
I'm not familiar with your political history but just looking at the language used in his article and the previous one, this reeks of someone that are willing to play the race card to push his agenda. I hope no one takes offense but to me, he looks like he is trying to politically blackmail the rich chinese families for money with the threat of ethnic violence/riot.

I assume there's a fairly noticeable economic gap between the ethnic Chinese and the rest of society? Does feel like there's some sort of social discord power keg waiting to be lit and Sionil is threatening that.
Old 2015-08-19, 07:28   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You look very ah tiong meh

But on SEA...what can you expect when we have all this "Bamboo Network" investors running around...
Actually yes. Until I start speaking dialect or Malay.

Most PRCs are nice people. The problem is with the loaded ones, like any other race. All the dosh got to their head, seep out of their eyelids and blinded them.

The problem is that China is also pulling no stops to their actions in South China Sea. Alienating their neighbours isn't the way to win support from us.

Maybe they are doing this to divert attention from their thinning economy. Like what Germany did when during WWII.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-08-19, 07:34   Link #8
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I'm not familiar with your political history but just looking at the language used in his article and the previous one, this reeks of someone that are willing to play the race card to push his agenda. I hope no one takes offense but to me, he looks like he is trying to politically blackmail the rich chinese families for money with the threat of ethnic violence/riot.

I assume there's a fairly noticeable economic gap between the ethnic Chinese and the rest of society? Does feel like there's some sort of social discord power keg waiting to be lit and Sionil is threatening that.
There is. Majority of those who are in the upper classes are ethnic Chinese. A few are in the middle class, but are well off.

As for the discord, the only thing the community worried about before was the mass kidnappings in the 90s due to a stereotype that they're rich and they won't risk talking to the police since the service was notoriously corrupt at the time.

Old 2015-08-19, 08:24   Link #9
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Actually yes. Until I start speaking dialect or Malay.

Most PRCs are nice people. The problem is with the loaded ones, like any other race. All the dosh got to their head, seep out of their eyelids and blinded them.

The problem is that China is also pulling no stops to their actions in South China Sea. Alienating their neighbours isn't the way to win support from us.

Maybe they are doing this to divert attention from their thinning economy. Like what Germany did when during WWII.
They don't need your support, your government are in their camp already

With US in a weaken state, this is China's opportunity to cow their neighbours into submission and start removing US influence in the south china sea. Might explain why Japan is suddenly trying to remilitarized itself.

Quote:
There is. Majority of those who are in the upper classes are ethnic Chinese. A few are in the middle class, but are well off.

As for the discord, the only thing the community worried about before was the mass kidnappings in the 90s due to a stereotype that they're rich and they won't risk talking to the police since the service was notoriously corrupt at the time.
Yeah, that's not going to help much with the state of economy these days. Discrediting Sionil might be the best choice to defuse the situation plus he's old, doubt he can beat off senility for much longer.

Well i don't think China is going to invade/annex the Philippines atleast like what Russia did to Crimea. But i don't see China losing out in contention for Spratly Island.
Old 2015-08-19, 11:11   Link #10
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

well this bamboo network is very irritating. they infiltrate our govt through beijing connection. Didn't they know if they are making enemies with their SEA neighbour?

I do see where will this conflict will go.
Old 2015-08-19, 22:20   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
well this bamboo network is very irritating. they infiltrate our govt through beijing connection. Didn't they know if they are making enemies with their SEA neighbour?

I do see where will this conflict will go.
Funnel our cash back to China..... and sink us along with them when the china bubble eventually bursts. Brilliant

I simply have no clue why businesses are willing to put all eggs into the china basket when that basket is as reliable as using empty air for a table.

That plenty of ethnic chinese in SEA have business ties to PRC simply is going to worsen the perception of other ethnic groups towards them

Quote:
They don't need your support, your government are in their camp already

With US in a weaken state, this is China's opportunity to cow their neighbours into submission and start removing US influence in the south china sea. Might explain why Japan is suddenly trying to remilitarized itself.
The stranger thing? Even fully re-armed, Japan will still be less militarized than say....most SEA nations. Yet you still have the irony of certain pockets of the local populace calling for Japan to repeal their security bills
Old 2015-08-19, 22:30   Link #12
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Now the funds are flowing out of China as they reverse investment relationships in order to put a few blackmail cards in their hands so as to influence foreign policy of governments.

The thing is, SEA will do the same they do to the Europeans and Americans - take the money, smile, and just wave the middle finger when their back is turned.

History repeats itself.

Old 2015-08-19, 22:41   Link #13
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I can tell you plenty in the region will be screwed and whining if china decides to crash now....Because they'll never give back more than they take. Not their style
Old 2015-08-20, 04:08   Link #14
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
That plenty of ethnic chinese in SEA have business ties to PRC simply is going to worsen the perception of other ethnic groups towards them

The stranger thing? Even fully re-armed, Japan will still be less militarized than say....most SEA nations. Yet you still have the irony of certain pockets of the local populace calling for Japan to repeal their security bills
Well, ethnic chinese are in a way, the jews of SEA. The world are trying to crack into the China market and majority of the financial power in a number of SEA countries is managed by ethnic chinese.

As for Japan, it doesn't matter if their current military at full strength is smaller than most SEA nations. If their bill passed, we are going to see another very fast growing military power in the east to counter China military supremacy. I think SEA will benefit a lot just having another player in opposition.
Old 2015-08-20, 08:05   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I can tell you plenty in the region will be screwed and whining if china decides to crash now....Because they'll never give back more than they take. Not their style
It already did I think. Thanks to the US graduating their 100k MBA from American universities.

As for militarising Japan, there seems to be quite some support from SEA given the Japanese capability in warfare over the past few centuries - the Americans had to throw every ship and cultist Marine they have at the IJN to beat them despite having a numerical advantage. They have the ability to keep China severely occupied even without Taiwan - we just don't let them out of fears of another post-Meiji militarisation and social regression that take decades to dismantle.

Old 2015-08-23, 15:03   Link #16
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

*blank look*

How can you even tell if someone is Chinese or not in Singapore from the looks?
Aren't East Asians the overwhelming majority there?
Old 2015-08-23, 20:08   Link #17
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
*blank look*

Mainland Chinese look.... Redder around the cheeks ?

But no, usually the only way I could really tell if they talk lol.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 22:24   Link #18
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Now the funds are flowing out of China as they reverse investment relationships in order to put a few blackmail cards in their hands so as to influence foreign policy of governments.

The thing is, SEA will do the same they do to the Europeans and Americans - take the money, smile, and just wave the middle finger when their back is turned.

History repeats itself.
The difference is SEA won't have the military capability or solidity to pose nearly as much problems as China will. I means it's not like in EU, where you have Germany and French as powerhouse. SEA is generally still quite a balanced play field, at least if you don't takes the account of 2nd tier Laos, Cambodia and East Timor. EU or US, or even China can just pay some of their members to do their bidding (in fact I think CHina just did with Cambodia over the South China Sea issue)

As long as they can channel their hatred of each other into SEAGAMES, rather than militarily or politically. I think it will be fine in the end
Old 2015-08-23, 22:35   Link #19
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
*blank look*

Paler skin? Different eye shape for northern mainlanders?
Old 2015-08-24, 02:10   Link #20
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
*blank look*

Well there are 4 major races in Singapore. Chinese, Malay, Indians and Euro(Asians).

The Chinese look all alike, but mainlanders tend to have yellower skin and less well-groomed. So does any Chinese doing blue collar for years.

I am a blue collar so some people mistake me for them until I start spouting Malay or dialect.