AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-01-05, 10:23   Link #1
ninja666

Action anime with highly unconventional weapons?

I want an action anime where the protagonist has a highly unconventional weapon of choice. Basically a thing you'd never think could be used as a weapon, but they use it and it's awesome as all hell. The dumber (in a good way) and more abiding to "the rule of cool" it is, the better.

The absolute best example of what I'm looking for was in the first episode of Ga-Rei: Zero, where there was this chick who used her motorcycle to fight - she did lots of tricks with it and used the wheels to tear the enemies apart. Here's a video of that scene, if you'd like to watch it.

I'd like something with that level of absurdity and awesomeness.

The plot should be something simple and easy to follow (I just want to turn my brain off and enjoy the action). There should also be tons of over the top violence, as it makes the action sequences all the more enjoyable for me. Bonus points for a pumping soundtrack that only makes those sequences more hype.

What I don't want is any sort of fanservice and/or ecchi. I just don't like it when a show focuses on nudity and sexual situations for the sake of "comedy". Some skimpier clothes are fine with me, as long as it's not a common occurence.

Other than that, I'd like the show to be complete and have a conclusive ending - it should not be required of me to read any manga afterwards.

Any suggestions? It can be something either old or new - everything from the late 80s up till now works, as long as it meets my criteria.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Last edited by ninja666; 2017-01-05 at 10:35.
ninja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-05, 11:09   Link #2
Shana

First, if you enjoyed Ga-Rei: Zero, you might enjoy Tokyo ESP. Second, both Gurren Lagan and Kill la Kill are incredibly over the top, with equally absurd weapons. Also, in any installment of Lupin the Third you'll find action, comedy and some clever gadgets.
Old 2017-01-05, 11:23   Link #3
ninja666

I got Tokyo ESP recommended to me on another occasion, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for since it seems to rely on gimmicky superpowers rather than gimmicky weapons. Poor reviews don't make it all that appealing either. Unless I'm just wrong about it - in that case, feel free to correct me.

As for your other suggestions, they're not what I'm looking for either. Gurren Lagann is just mechas, which is a thing very typical in anime, Kill La Kill has way too much fanservice for my liking (not to mention they fight with swords, which isn't something all that unconventional; sure, they do have crazy visual designs, but in the end they're just swords), and in Lupin III apart from those gadgets, they mostly rely on guns.

I know I might be overly picky here, but I'm really looking for something original you won't find anywhere else.
Old 2017-01-05, 17:32   Link #4
kitten320

^You clearly did not look in right place cause only MC and Satsuki use swords in Kill la Kill. Actually, Matoi uses half of scissors, not a sword. Satsuki's followers use musical instruments, computers, tennis rackets and etc. Fanservice vice yeh, there is a lot but it's not pointless since whole anime theme is about clothing that controls humans. Being nude means escaping clothing control, there is an actual purpose for the nudity.

Personally, was reluctant to watch it myself. I hate Gurren Lagan, don't like fanservice neither do I like over the top, illogical action. But Kill la Kill was a pleasant surprise. Nudity has a purpose and even ridiculous action has some logic behind it. I would give it a try.

Otherwise there is Akame Ga Kill. Some weapon's are normal but some not. There are characters who use massive Scissors as weapon or an adorable puppy. Violent as well.

D.Gray Man has slightly silly weapons like clock, strings, ball, tiny hammer, butterflies. Sadly manga is ongoing.

Hunter x Hunter also has some unique weapons like playing cards, chains, yoyo, spitting and etc. Manga ongoing too. Anime has two seasons, old and new. Old has longer start while new slightly rushes through things but I would go with new version except Spider arc. Old anime did it much better.
Old 2017-01-05, 17:56   Link #5
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Actually, Matoi uses half of scissors, not a sword.
"A rose by any other name...". It's a sword, except it has a visual design that makes it look like a half of scissors.

As for the other examples, they are creative and unconventional, I give you that. Still, I'm not going to watch that show. Ever. I'm not buying that explanation with some deeper meaning to all the T&A. The way you say it makes sense in the story and whatnot only makes the story appear to have been written around the concept of showing as much female body as humanly possible, which automatically rules out a show for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Otherwise there is Akame Ga Kill. Some weapon's are normal but some not. There are characters who use massive Scissors as weapon or an adorable puppy. Violent as well.
I gave that a shot, like, a week ago and dropped it after 3 episodes. I couldn't stand how generic and nonsensical it was. Also, most of the main characters just use a conventional melee weapon, and those that don't just use guns, so I wouldn't say it fits what I'm looking for.

The other two I'm not going to bother with since they're more or less glorified advertisements for the manga and I hate that with a passion. Plus, I'm not really looking for a superpower-heavy show either. Here's a much better explanation of what I want:

What I'm looking for is an action show where the characters (preferably main characters) use non-combat-oriented items in combat situations, but they use them so creatively, they're just as good as any other weapon. They also somehow make using it seem like the most awesome thing you've ever seen in your life because of how over the top and insane it is.

Can you think of anything that fits both this description and the rest of my criteria?
Old 2017-01-05, 21:24   Link #6
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I would say Sengoku Basara. They use classic weapons but in an overthetop way like Yukimura using two lances, or Masamune's six swords. Heck, there is even a giant robot.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 02:59   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja666 View Post
What I'm looking for is an action show where the characters (preferably main characters) use non-combat-oriented items in combat situations, but they use them so creatively, they're just as good as any other weapon. They also somehow make using it seem like the most awesome thing you've ever seen in your life because of how over the top and insane it is.
Hmm, I gotta admit that your request is pretty tough because there’s rarely any anime series with MC or characters from protag-team who use non-combatant item to fight, especially using it throughout the series. I myself had no idea (or maybe just forgot) that such series exists.

As a consolation price, I present you a GIF & image of a main character’s Gundam mecha that uses abnormal weapon (giant space-wrench-saw) that is supposed to be used for maintenance only, not combat. And the MC pilot (Mika) used it rather well:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If you want to see the episode where he used that weapon in full, just jump to episode 21 & 23 of Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. Those are where he used the giant wrench mostly to mercilessly slaughter his enemies.
Old 2017-01-06, 07:02   Link #8
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! comes to mind, with characters that use umbrellas and ladles, though it's more of a comedy.

Another option is Yumekui Merry, since one of the prominent characters uses a saw-like thing, but your mileage may vary with this particular anime.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 07:08   Link #9
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
As a consolation price, I present you a GIF & image of a main character’s Gundam mecha that uses abnormal weapon (giant space-wrench-saw) that is supposed to be used for maintenance only, not combat. And the MC pilot (Mika) used it rather well
Thanks, I guess... Seems like I'm going to have to look somewhere else. I really find it hard to believe not even one fitting anime can't be found in the library from the past 30 years. You probably just don't know one.

Feel free to throw any other suggestions if you have some. I'll still be looking over to this thread from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! comes to mind, with characters that use umbrellas and ladles, though it's more of a comedy.
Is it even worth considering if I can't stand moe in 99% of cases? Because this show couldn't look more moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Another option is Yumekui Merry!, since one of the prominent characters uses a saw-like thing, but your mileage may vary with this particular anime.
Looks kind of generic. Does it stand out in any particular way, or is it just a shonen like any other?

Also, sorry for doubleposting, but the post I'm replying to happened to be posted at the exact same time as my previous post.

Last edited by Flower; 2017-01-06 at 10:08. Reason: Please do not do multiple posts...use the edit button instead.
Old 2017-01-06, 10:21   Link #10
Shana

Quote:
I got Tokyo ESP recommended to me on another occasion, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for since it seems to rely on gimmicky superpowers rather than gimmicky weapons. Poor reviews don't make it all that appealing either. Unless I'm just wrong about it - in that case, feel free to correct me.
I recommended it because you enjoyed Ga-Rei: Zero. I wasn't too thrilled with Tokyo ESP either.

Your request is a tad too specific, but I guess there's Kaneda's iconic bike in Akira and you might wanna look into the Improbable Weapon trope.
Old 2017-01-06, 11:43   Link #11
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
I recommended it because you enjoyed Ga-Rei: Zero.
I never said I enjoyed it, though. I dropped it after 4 episodes because I didn't like how it constantly trolled you with the story progression. I just liked the awesome stupidity of fighting using a motorbike.

Quote:
Your request is a tad too specific, but [...] you might wanna look into the Improbable Weapon trope.
It's really helpful, but at the same time not helpful at all. I gave it a look and while there are lots of interesting concepts in there, the list itself is useless to me because I don't know which of those meet my criteria (and I'm mainly talking about criteria that cannot be checked anywhere, like conclusive ending, or lack of fanservice, because anime fans generally don't give a damn about those).
Old 2017-01-06, 12:08   Link #12
Shana

I see. In that case I'd recommend Hunter x Hunter, since it fits most of your criteria (the weapons, action, ending, no fanservice).
Old 2017-01-06, 17:04   Link #13
ninja666

Quote:
I see. In that case I'd recommend Hunter x Hunter, since it fits most of your criteria (the weapons, action, ending, no fanservice).
How exactly does it fit my ending criterion when it only covers a small portion of the manga, that's still ongoing?
Old 2017-01-06, 20:50   Link #14
BWTraveller
Born to ship

First thing that came to my mind is D4 Princess. It's an older show and not to my knowledge very popular, but it was pretty much built on the concept of unconventional weaponry. "Panzers" are people who use variants of power tools, hand tools and household appliances as weapons in martial arts type combat. You have pretty much all kinds of appliances, including vacuums, though the main character uses the "lame" drill. And for better or worse the fights are meant to be serious; one of the early introduced panzers is another drill user who's infamous because half a year ago she killed an opponent.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 06:04   Link #15
ninja666

^ Now that's a nice surprise. I didn't expect anyone on this forum to suggest something that's not a super mainstream and/or well-known title. I haven't heard of that show ever before. Might be something worth checking out. Thank you.
Old 2017-01-07, 11:31   Link #16
Tenzen12

The law of Ueki: While protagonist have pretty regular power (turn trash into trees, other characters response such things as towels, washing machines and suitcase full of money).

Durarara: Everything is weapon in Shizuo hands
Street lights, road signs... vans, buses...

Haiyore! Nyarko-san I think it's bit ecchi (I don't remember for sure), but it's mainly comedy. Protagonist can pacify Eldritch abominations... with forks. And his mother is actually pro with same weapon.
Old 2017-01-07, 12:19   Link #17
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
The law of Ueki: While protagonist have pretty regular power (turn trash into trees, other characters response such things as towels, washing machines and suitcase full of money).
It looks like every other run-of-the-mill shonen, to be honest. Does it have anything that makes it stand out, apart from those absurd superpowers?

Quote:
Durarara: Everything is weapon in Shizuo hands
Street lights, road signs... vans, buses...
I got it recommended elsewhere and gave it a shot. Gave up after 2 episodes. Turns out Durarara isn't even really an action show, but more of a character-driven thriller, even despite all of its absurdity and over the top nature. It definitely appeared interesting, but it's not something I'd like to watch right now.

Quote:
Haiyore! Nyarko-san I think it's bit ecchi (I don't remember for sure), but it's mainly comedy. Protagonist can pacify Eldritch abominations... with forks. And his mother is actually pro with same weapon.
I guess I'm fine with a little bit of ecchi, as long as the show isn't all "in your face" about it and it isn't the main driving force behind it. I don't know if that particular show is something I'd watch, though. Looks horribly generic and from the looks alone I can tell its humor appeals more to fans of cute schoolgirls, who always act way too over the top (in the annoying kind of way) for the context of the situation they're in. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 2017-01-07, 14:53   Link #18
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
I gave it a look and while there are lots of interesting concepts in there, the list itself is useless to me because I don't know which of those meet my criteria (and I'm mainly talking about criteria that cannot be checked anywhere, like conclusive ending, or lack of fanservice, because anime fans generally don't give a damn about those).
Check them out for yourself. We can't do ALL the work for you. You can learn a lot from watching just the first 5 minutes of each one.
Old 2017-01-07, 15:01   Link #19
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Check them out for yourself. We can't do ALL the work for you. You can learn a lot from watching just the first 5 minutes of each one.
And it looks like you need to improve your comprehensive reading. Sure, I can check out if the genre is right or if I like the artstyle, animation etc. myself, but how can I check if a show has a conclusive ending or no fanservice unless I see it all? And believe me, I really don't feel like wasting my time on watching something I might not like at all.
Old 2017-01-07, 15:08   Link #20
Tenzen12

Ueki was fun show if bit on crazy side... and that's it. Being generic means "belonging to certain genre" There are good and bad generic show. Well, I don't think you will ever find what you look for if you are too picky. It isn't critism, just warning.

As for Nyarko, we are talking about Lovecraft's space horrors that can cause insanity just by being around taking form of teenager girls. This concept itself is ridiculous and putting spin on rom-com tropes. Than again while there is action in it, I doubt it really counts as "action anime". So take it as you will.