AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-28, 05:28   Link #41
Gordy Lechance

More important than Freeza's voice is actually Gohan's voice.

His innocence and vulnerability was the heart that drove Dragonball Z, and making him (quote the Dub's producers) a "tough Milhouse Van Houten" simply dosen't cut it.

If anything, the performance in the hopeful re-dub should be more like the soft, gentle and sweet Oliver Twist from the 1950's version of Oliver! The English voice actress of Mikuru (of Suzumiya Haruhi) and Hinata (from Naruto) would be perfect for the improved dub Gohan.

Even as a teenager, she could just deepen the voice a bit and still have him sound sweet and boyish, like the "Daniel from th Karate Kid" performance they gave Ranma's male voice in the early 1990's dub.

Let's hope Funimation dosen't stuff up the re-do as well.
Old 2009-02-28, 05:41   Link #42
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
More important than Freeza's voice is actually Gohan's voice.
but gohan doesn't wear black lipstick...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 09:52   Link #43
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Let's hope Funimation dosen't stuff up the re-do as well.
Why are you worried about that when it's not even licensed yet? Furthermore, with all the new series Funimation has been licensing recently, I seriously doubt they'll be picking this any time soon.
Old 2009-02-28, 12:47   Link #44
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
but gohan doesn't wear black lipstick...
You missed the point of his post. He seems to say that Gohan's voice is worse than Freeza's voice.

DBK. I really didn't finished or completed watching DBZ. I only watched fragments of episodes, which are not bad. Good to hear they are remaking it.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 13:29   Link #45
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I can't believe I slept on that ...

I had been wondering where the heck your name came from...

As for Freeza, for all intents and purposes me and my friends always considered him a “her”…Perhaps lost in translation perhaps not (Hell Goku is 100% female in the Japanese VA), Freeza always came off better when we thought he was a girl…Hell he looks feminine and I never had a problem thinking as such…Additionally, if they only edit one thing, I hope they change Freeza saying Namek had 5 MINUTES before it blows up….That had to be the most mind-defying miscalculation of time since watching an episode of LOST….
lol I remember when Krillin was gonna say some thing weird about Freeza's final form and Piccilo was like "Dont! say it"
Old 2009-02-28, 13:32   Link #46
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Yeah,finally a remastered DBZ,can't wait for it.Hopefully the VA will be awesome.
Old 2009-03-01, 11:17   Link #47
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Trailer's been released. This is actually SD Project's subtitled trailer, but we're having some problems getting the torrent out, so this'll have to do for now. Yes, the group is still alive. Just they haven't released much...

Actually, speaking of which, how is AnimeSuki going to treat this series? Although the footage does come from Dragonball Z, it technically isn't DBZ, as Toei is pushing it as a new product/series. Not to mention, it's a complete re-edit and rerecording of the series. Just wonder if you guys will post the torrents or not...

EDIT: Okay, torrent is out.

Last edited by ChibiGoku; 2009-03-01 at 11:40.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 11:20   Link #48
cyth
Banned

I bet they just resized a bit, warpsharped, and rescaled coloring of them cels.

A reedit? This hasn't been confirmed.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 11:20   Link #49
Fran~
floating away...

There is no school like old school... period.
Old 2009-03-01, 11:22   Link #50
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
A reedit? This hasn't been confirmed.
Yes, it actually has. The ads that have been released have mentioned it is a re-edit of the material and the information that was posted by someone that works for TAP (Toei's Philippines studio) basically confirms this.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 11:53   Link #51
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Once again, the series being cut down into 100 episodes has not been confirmed. It is just a rumor being spread by many people. Sure the DragonBall Z anime had lots of filler, but to suggest that nearly two-thirds of its content was filler/scenes being prolonged is ridiculous.
The 100 episode-count might not be confirmed, but they have said that they'll cut out the fillers. And seeing how you say that you can't believe that 2/3 of the show was filler... More or less every single episode had tons and tons of filler-scenes, be it "dramatic staring", added fighting or otherwise completely irrelevant added stuff. Two thirds seem just about right to me, though I admit I haven't actually seen ALL of the series. But when you consider the pacing of the manga, (each chapter would take like, a minute to finish most of the time) 100 episodes seem like a pretty good guess. I mean, look at the infamous "five minutes" on Namek, which, if you remove the fillers, might actually BE five minutes long... Ok, more like fifteen, but still, it should be possible to press it all into a single episode if you remove all the unnecessary filler.

That being said, I hope they'll keep the filler-shots and padding in SOME moments. For example, Gohan's transformation towards the end of the Cell-saga was amazing, and I definitely don't want them to change anything about that... Well, except the higher quality audio, but if they replace Unmei no Hi with some other music, I can't possibly imagine the scene being anywhere near as good as it was in Z.
Old 2009-03-01, 12:15   Link #52
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

So... they're basically milking a dead cow.

Man, they could at least redo the series, I'm sure it made more than enough money to actually finance a remake rather than a re-edit.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 12:55   Link #53
Fran~
floating away...

A remake with modern animation techniques is fail in DB... DB is DB because the "vintage" feel.

A Kamehameha with CGI is fail.
Old 2009-03-01, 13:13   Link #54
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Prejudice is bad...but yeah, knowing the story (and having played millions of high-speed DBZ games) I think it won't have the touch of the original.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 13:21   Link #55
Fran~
floating away...

It's true, prejudice is wrong, but as you said, DB without that vintage touch is not DB.

Just look at the "hollywood movie" about DB.
Old 2009-03-01, 14:19   Link #56
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
The 100 episode-count might not be confirmed, but they have said that they'll cut out the fillers. And seeing how you say that you can't believe that 2/3 of the show was filler... More or less every single episode had tons and tons of filler-scenes, be it "dramatic staring", added fighting or otherwise completely irrelevant added stuff. Two thirds seem just about right to me, though I admit I haven't actually seen ALL of the series. But when you consider the pacing of the manga, (each chapter would take like, a minute to finish most of the time) 100 episodes seem like a pretty good guess. I mean, look at the infamous "five minutes" on Namek, which, if you remove the fillers, might actually BE five minutes long... Ok, more like fifteen, but still, it should be possible to press it all into a single episode if you remove all the unnecessary filler.
Trust me. I have seen the entirety of the Z series numerous times so I am quite well aware of what is filler and what isn't. People really over exaggerate how much filler, stare downs, and additional fighting scenes, this series had. There was a lot, but not as much as people make it out to be. And you say that each manga chapter would take a minute to finish most of the time? Are you even listening to yourself? You're basically saying that they could cram in 20 chapters into one episode. There is no way that is happening and it is simply not possible. As for the 5 minutes on Planet Namek, I assure you it will take more than one episode to depict that segment of the fight exactly like the manga.
Old 2009-03-01, 14:38   Link #57
Vegard Aune

Quote:
And you say that each manga chapter would take a minute to finish most of the time? Are you even listening to yourself? You're basically saying that they could cram in 20 chapters into one episode.
I was referring to how quickly you can READ THROUGH a chapter, not how much time it would take in animated form. But still, there are plenty of chapters that could be accurately adapted into like, 5 minutes worth of footage at most.
Old 2009-03-01, 14:46   Link #58
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I was referring to how quickly you can READ THROUGH a chapter, not how much time it would take in animated form. But still, there are plenty of chapters that could be accurately adapted into like, 5 minutes worth of footage at most.
Personally, I think 150 episodes sounds okay. Have you actually read the whole manga? If you have, I have a question for you. How many pages did each chapter roughly have? I've never owned the manga and so I'm asking you this question.
Old 2009-03-01, 14:50   Link #59
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
It's true, prejudice is wrong, but as you said, DB without that vintage touch is not DB.

Just look at the "hollywood movie" about DB.
What do you know? it could be better...
Old 2009-03-01, 14:51   Link #60
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Personally, I think 150 episodes sounds okay. Have you actually read the whole manga? If you have, I have a question for you. How many pages did each chapter roughly have? I've never owned the manga and so I'm asking you this question.
Each chapter had about 15 pages each. And yeah, I've read it all... Though it was the norwegian version, which has some of the most awful translations I've ever seen in a professional release. But the actual page-number isn't what's important here. The important thing is that the artwork is presented in such a way that you can get through one chapter in no time at all, and there's very little that actually happens in each one. (I just pulled out volume 34 of the manga... The first chapter can basically be summed up as "Goku and Cell fight. They increase their power. They fight some more. Mr. Satan and the other viewers stare with disbelief. Chapter ends.")