AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-04, 14:57   Link #41
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I have an extra closed beta key for those who enjoyed their time in the open beta weekends, and want more. Just send me a private message if you want it.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 16:33   Link #42
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
I'll just leave this here...

Original soundtrack scheduled for release later this month.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 10:17   Link #43
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Judging by some recent video gameplay it looks to be just another very very generic MMO (as expected sadly).

Still, I really want to give this a chance.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 17:40   Link #44
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I guess no one plays. ;D

Anyways, haven't had to work my brain like this in a video game in...well, years. Possibly even decades. Heh.

Currently in Egypt. Primarily Shotgun/Hammers damage, and enough spill over to tank if need be. Essentially finished Shotgun/Hammer skills (and a few pvp utility skills), and am now pumping up Pistols to start a healing subset.

My character at the moment:

Also, cake.
Old 2012-07-09, 17:47   Link #45
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I guess no one plays. ;D
I'm still waiting for the supply to reach my local game store -_-

But in the mean time I have been keeping an eye and ear out on any news related to this game.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:03   Link #46
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I thought this thread was all about how Secret World was gonna suck.

I thought it looked cool. how is it?
Old 2012-07-09, 18:07   Link #47
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I thought this thread was all about how Secret World was gonna suck.

I thought it looked cool. how is it?
From what I heard- Very polarizing apparently, but nothing unanimously game breaking or terrible. Even the worst feature from beta, the combat, have reportedly been improved already... The feeling of it anyway.

The 'skill tree' system is not very beginner friendly though, for better or worse it's not a game that holds your hand.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:18   Link #48
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Hah! Try Fallen Earth. That game slaps your hand and kicks your butt 100 miles into a desert and takes your shoes.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:23   Link #49
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The best thing about the game are the quests/story. If you don't enjoy really working your brain over some rather difficult quests, then there is little in this game that would likely win anyone over to treat it as their primary MMO. If you do enjoy that type of thing, this is pretty much the best game (note, game, not MMO), you'll have played in decades. Possibly ever.

I'm not joking when I said it's likely been decades since I had to work my brain this much in a video game.

If you're the type who's going to simply google everything, I honestly wouldn't bother with TSW, because...

The combat is ok. The Ability Wheel takes brain power, and it's easy to make sub-par combinations of abilities if you're not very bright. There are no skill/ability resets. You screw up, you just have to keep gaining experience to gain more points. Eventually, you theoretically can buy everything. No idea how long that would take. Probably not as long as leveling every class on one character in FF 11, but a long time. Same idea, as well, in that you should, with enough time, be able to fit your character to whatever role you want. That said, I have a hard time believing anyone would play this game long term primarily because of the combat, though there are a lot of fun boss fights.

The aesthetics...well, I suppose that's a matter of personal preference more so than anything else. I think they're fine, but would hardly call them stellar.

The pvp is ok. It's instanced, and split between two 'Battleground' types of instanced pvp you're probably very used to in any other MMO, and one much larger persistent pvp map in which all three factions vie for control points, with the total tally being added up weekly. The best moments are when all three faction's zergs inadvertently run into each other. Best, in that there's a lot of death, and it's always nice when it's your faction that ends up routing the others. I actually rarely run with the zerg, outside of doing my daily that basically requires you to, and most of my time spent is ganking stragglers at outlying points. My shotgun/hammer build puts out so much damage (it's all damage, no survivability), I pretty much win 99% of my 1 v 1s, and laugh when people complain about not being able to dent certain healing builds.

I stay in Fusang (the persistent pvp map) long enough to do my three repeatable missions, then zone out. 90% or more of my time is actually spent in pve, wracking my brain over the puzzles.

As for whether it's a noob-friendly game or not, I would rate it as one of the most noob-unfriendly games on the current market (which, as far as I'm concerned, is a good thing).

Lastly, there's a big revamp/upgrade coming in August for more Character Creation and in-game Plastic Surgery options. Yay.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:25   Link #50
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Hows the male character customization? I wonna make a guy like the dude in hte trailers who was takin a piss when the monster attacked.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:34   Link #51
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Hows the male character customization? I wonna make a guy like the dude in hte trailers who was takin a piss when the monster attacked.
I only make females. Sorry.

Currently, character customization (well, outside of clothes), is less than stellar, but they are working on a vast upgrade to it all in August.

The reasoning, in beta, was they wanted to limit all that to keep frame rates managable in high pop situations, but there was an overwhelming amount of people who essentially said character customization was super important to them, and so Funcom kind of backed down there. Plus, the main place where frame rates are important is in Fusang Projects, and Funcom dealt with that by making everyone wear a Faction-specific outfit and mask, so there was no longer any reason to limit character customization for the pve side of things.

As for the male characters I run into in-game, I think there were little to no complaints there; it was just the agonizingly large amount of female options that no one would use and started the whole ape-woman meme in beta, that was a problem.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:02   Link #52
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Oh goody, Not only will i be the minority, I'll have to be careful who i talk to =\ lol
Old 2012-07-09, 19:44   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
He's an actual NPC in the game You'll meet him very early on- as well as the other characters in the CGI trailers.
Old 2012-07-09, 21:50   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I was severely disappointed in the character creation... so did I could. Hopefully we'll get a free re-do when the upgrades appear.

I mean, this is a game where BY DEFINITION you're basically roleplaying even if you don't want to
Old 2012-07-10, 00:16   Link #55
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is there a chupakabra in the game?
Old 2012-07-10, 17:08   Link #56
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
The developers have decided to drop some knowledge regarding the planned infusion of new content.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 18:25   Link #57
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Got rank 13 today. It's very obvious some of the monthly content will be concerning your faction rank and story, as the last you hear of the faction story is at rank 10, with no conclusion to speak of.

It's kind of hilarious when you reach faction rank 13 (currently the last rank), what your 'next' rank is:

It's caused all sorts of jokes (and conspiracies), as one might imagine.
Also, cake.