AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-19, 17:10   Link #61
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin4242
Questions, questions... can anybody tell me Kalinin's codname? Does Tessa have one? Does Mardukas have one?
Not that I can remember.

Quote:
How exactly are the crew of TDD-1 organised? There's the SRT, and I've heard of a PRT... what are the divisions, who (named characters) is in which, and what are their ranks? What are the responsibilities of each group? Do we know how many unnamed characters work in them? I believe Kalinin referred once to 200 crew.
SRT is an abbreviation for "Special Response Team." PRT is an abbreviation for "Primary Response Team." PRTs are the ones with lower enlisted ranks, whose major task is providing ground support, whereas SRT members are of higher enlisted and lower officer ranks that specializes in AS combats.

Since TDD is sort of an equivalent of the Marines and the Navy combined, I'll use the U.S. Marine Corps ranks for enlisted and Navy for officers.

SRT Uruz numbers (using Navy rank):

01 Lt. Gail McCarran (died) -> Lt. Jr Grade Belfangan Clouzot
02 Ensign Mellissa Mao
03 Lt. Jr Grade Castero (died)
04 "Hammer"
05 Sgt. Roger Sandarapta
06 Sgt. Kurz Weber
07 Sgt. Sousuke Sagara
08 Corporal Speck
09 Corporal Yan Jun-Kyu
10 Corporal Nguyen Bien Bo (traitor, shot and killed)
11 (blank)
12 Sgt. John Dunnigan (traitor, shot and killed)

Quote:
Kurz's guitar is a Gibson. Any information on what make? Has it ever been illustrated?
The only fact known is that it's a forty year old Gibson Les Paul which was owned by his dad, and that it will easily fetch $10,000 USD at a pawn shop.

Quote:
AS pilots appear to use fairly normal looking weapons (I know nothing about the military). Would these be the same weapons they would use on foot? If not, what are they? Particularly with regards to Kurz.
You mean the PSG-1 sniper rifle?

Quote:
What are the medical facilities on the TDD-1 like? Who is in charge? Do we know their name? Have they appeared in the anime? How well would they know the rest of the crew? How often do people end up visiting the medical facilities? Considering how few characters we know well and how often they seem to wind up requiring treatment, would it be fair to assume it might be a busy place, or are many of the crew in less rough jobs?
I assume the medical crew appeared in the first FMP anime.

Quote:
Classic rock music. That's how Kurz's taste is referred to in the information thread. Are there any specific examples of this given? In the English manga Kaname says excitedly "He can sing just like Steve Tyler!" So what language would he sing in? Presumably Japanese would feel most natural, but there's German too and the comparisons make me wonder if English would be a possibility. I guess it depends if it's covers or his own songs. Or does he do both? (BTW the books mention him singing "Take Me Out Mariana Trench" somewhere, don't they? To the students. I've seen a translation of this song somewhere, but I can't find it now. Does anybody know where I could get one?)
Once again, people think too hard on what languages they speak. It's a freakin' story! Just let it be! If it were any closer to reality, you'll have FMP characters talking and written in so many freaking languages that only a person who is fluent in ten different languages to get the story!!
Old 2006-02-19, 17:31   Link #62
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

09 Corporal Yan Jun-Kyu, ive heard about him even tho we dont see him in the anime, he is quite important in the anime, he cant pilot an AS and comedy is built around that fact i think
Old 2006-02-19, 18:23   Link #63
Pippin4242

I think the language thing is very interesting- for instance we see Mao speaking in four different langauges, which is kind of at odds with her beer-guzzling hard living exterior. (It was me who was nagging you about languages before. I find language really interesting, possible hence my anime addiction.)

I don't actually own a copy of the first series. I remember somebody from the medical wing spoke to Sosuke about Mao's condition just before the TDD-1 was seajacked, didn't they? I was trying to remember exactly what that scene was like. I've only seen that episode once. I had to give the DVD back.

Was Yan one of the men during the Hong Kong incident? The apron-wearing guy when the TDD-1 was seajacked? Or is that just completely a figment of my imagination?

The only fact known is that it's a forty year old Gibson Les Paul which was owned by his dad, and that it will easily fetch $10,000 USD at a pawn shop.

Brilliant. You didn't mention the les Paul part in the FAQ, so there were a few basic looks I could have gone with (I researched as much as I could before asking). Thanks! And the rifle make, I doubt I'd have been able to find that out anywhere either. ^_^

Thanks for all your help!

*~Pips~*
Old 2006-02-26, 01:52   Link #64
adrenalinmew

Because on demand is jacked up. I dont know what episodes are in which series! o.O Because I know that some episodes are labelled full metal panic when i KNOW they're fumoffu.. Im just confused. ;-; What is the latest season of Fumoffu? The latest episode Ive seen (which i think is in the first) is when Sousuke pretends to be that one chick's boyfriend. o.o am i gonna miss anything juicy?

(the reaosn I might miss them is because i notice the episodes of FMP on demand are providing are slowly decreasing)

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-02-26 at 04:19. Reason: don't double-post
Old 2006-02-26, 04:22   Link #65
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Episode titles for season 1 and Fumoffu are both here: Information and FAQs regarding FMP. Season 1 is in post 2 while Fumoffu is in post 3.

As for continuity, you can skip pretty much any episode of Fumoffu or watch them out of order, and not miss anything vital. There is no plot in Fumoffu at all.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-27, 18:34   Link #66
Pippin4242

The episode you're talking about is in the first series, Full Metal Panic, not the second released, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu?. It seems like a Fumoffuish storyline I guess, but I swear it's FMP, since I've actually seen it.

*~Pips~*
Old 2006-03-01, 13:57   Link #67
gryphon1
nimitz

newbie here sorry,
this is to address the questions regarding as to whether Kalinin, Tessa, and Mardukas have codenames.
Kalinin is refered to as Pass-1 in the TSR
Tessa is called Anthaz in Oduru Very Merry Christmas
Mardukas I am not sure about, however Tessa tells a story about him being called "The Duke" when he was in the British Navy

Also, in regards to how the TDD-1 would be run. It would probably be organized like a cross between a modern submarine and aircraft carrier (American), given that it has both sea, land, and air capabilities. Tessa, while being the overall commander, was given Kalinin and Mardukas to help her with military matters. Kalinin would be in charge of ground forces and land based ops, like the AS units. Example, the rescue of the hostages in the first FMP.
Mardukas, on the other hand, would be in charge of sub operations and maintenance and running the ship when Tessa is not there. Example, the fight scene in Oduru Very Merry Christmas.

Hope this was helpful
Old 2006-03-06, 00:34   Link #68
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Questions, questions... can anybody tell me Kalinin's codname? Does Tessa have one? Does Mardukas have one?
As far as I can tell, Kalinin's codename is "Pass-1".
You can check it on the last episodes of TSR where he says "Pass-1 to Urzu 7...".

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-12, 11:21   Link #69
T.V.

Hi there.
I'm new to the forum.

I've been into mecha anime for a just a couple of months and just finished watching the entire FMP anime, including Fumoffu and TSR.
Oddly, I became more enamored with the characters than the mecha I initially started to watch this series for.

I'm now on to read the translated novels, since I'm eager to find out more about the story.

And me being somewhat of a military affairs enthusiast I may be able to answer some of the military related questions.
Quote:

How exactly are the crew of TDD-1 organised?
I believe Gryphon is right on track. I haven't read the novels yet, but from what I can gather from the anime is that the command structure is very similar to the US Navy submarines and USMC amphibious assualt vessels.

Teletha Testarossa (means redhead in Italian ) is the captain, while Richard Mardukas is the XO (Executive Officer).
The one that is only subordinate to the captain and responsible for the day to day affairs onboard.
Andrei Kalinin seems more like the combination of a Navy CAG (Commander Air Group) and Marine expeditionary force commander; the commander in charge of force deployment.
Both seem to act as counselors to Tessa and Sousuko in their own ways.

Quote:
Kurz's guitar is a Gibson. Any information on what make? Has it ever been illustrated?
The '60s Les Paul guitars are one of the most coveted electric guitars worldwide.
Quote:
AS pilots appear to use fairly normal looking weapons (I know nothing about the military). Would these be the same weapons they would use on foot? If not, what are they? Particularly with regards to Kurz.
Most of the weapons used by the AS's seem like scaled up infantry weapons. I forgot the nomenclature used in the series, but they seem like fictious weapons based on real designs and using semi-realistic designations.
And since the AS's are used as extensions of their own body, it is not suprising to see that they use similar weapons in mecha and infantry combat operations.

The gattling gun used by Zaïd's ZY-98 Shadow is a AK-57 (going by memory here).
AK stands for Avtomat Kalashnikov, the most famous machine gun design from Russia, and 57 probalby denotes the barrel diameter of 57mm.
The real AK series of infantry assualt rifles found it's origin in WWII with the production starting in 1947. Hence the name AK-47.

On a side note, the ZY-98 designation seems more like chinese in origin than Soviet, as with the RK-86/92.

Many technical terms are good representations of real military affairs and it seems like the responsible writers and designers have a realism fettish not unknown to the creators of Macross and Gundam.
Having each non NATO arm slave being designated with a codename that starts with an S (Shadow, Shamrock, Savage) is a typical NATO approach.
Soviet alinged fighters always got NATO codenames starting with an F (Fishbed, Flogger, Flanker, etc.) and bombers with a B (Bear, Bison, etc.).
Quote:
Classic rock music. That's how Kurz's taste is referred to in the information thread. Are there any specific examples of this given? In the English manga Kaname says excitedly "He can sing just like Steve Tyler!" So what language would he sing in?
Steven Tyler is the lead singer of the band Aerosmith, so I'd presome Kurz would sing in English.

After I've read the novels I might be able to get a better insight in the usage of military conotations.

All I can say for know is that despite the typical exxagerated comedic element in FMP that the characters come of as believable.
Somehow the the realistic alternate reality Cold War backdrop works fine with a story revolving around a high school aged boy and girl.

I do have one question of myself.
Are there any (online) resources available that go more indepth in the weapon systems used in FMP and the geopolitical situation?

Cheers,

T.V.
Old 2006-03-16, 21:29   Link #70
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Most of the weapons used by the AS's seem like scaled up infantry weapons. I forgot the nomenclature used in the series, but they seem like fictious weapons based on real designs and using semi-realistic designations.
And since the AS's are used as extensions of their own body, it is not suprising to see that they use similar weapons in mecha and infantry combat operations.
The "VSS Vintorez", used by Kurz in Fumoffu (the one which made Kazama go "Panties mode"), is also a real sniper, though it's quite old and obsolete. It's almost an AK-47 with a silencer and a scope =P Though I've seen some people making replications of it. Even the P90 used in one of Tessa's garage kit and by the "UN" forces in the hijacking episode are existant. Basically all the weaponry used in FMP is consisted of real weapons or very similar ones to the real thing.

Quote:
Are there any (online) resources available that go more indepth in the weapon systems used in FMP and the geopolitical situation?
This is something I'd be interested in aswel. However I don't know if there's that much in-depth information about the world of FMP. Well, aside from the incredible ammount of terrorist groups/attacks that occur in the series, that is. :heh;

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-17, 01:59   Link #71
T.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara
The "VSS Vintorez", used by Kurz in Fumoffu (the one which made Kazama go "Panties mode"), is also a real sniper, though it's quite old and obsolete. It's almost an AK-47 with a silencer and a scope =P Though I've seen some people making replications of it. Even the P90 used in one of Tessa's garage kit and by the "UN" forces in the hijacking episode are existant. Basically all the weaponry used in FMP is consisted of real weapons or very similar ones to the real thing.
I was talking about the fictuous mecha weapons, not the small arms weapons.

The P90 is made by the belgian company of FN Herstal if I'm not mistaken.

Too bad there's no FMP 'history' book.
Well, I maybe able to piece together some more of the FMP world after reading the translated novels.

Thanks anyway, Zero.

P.S.
I was really laughing in the FMP ep where Sousuke is introduced to his class.
Him mentioning several Janes armaments (existing publisher!) publications and "Arm Slave monthly" (a deliberate pun on "Air Forces monthly") made me laugh out loud. Especially because I'm familiar with those publications (also reading them).
Old 2006-03-28, 13:02   Link #72
kuroi tsuki

Exclamation im new, and have an important question

can someone plese explain why in the second raid, when kanome went to the hotel, she took all her clothes, wore nothing but a dressing gown, and went to kill someone?

and im asking why she had to change clothes to this robe?
Old 2006-03-28, 18:42   Link #73
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi tsuki
can someone plese explain why in the second raid, when kanome went to the hotel, she took all her clothes, wore nothing but a dressing gown, and went to kill someone?

and im asking why she had to change clothes to this robe?
I don't recall it explaining it in the anime either so, I'll write why she did that from what was written in the novel:

As a Whispered, she knew what technologies are available to place a bug on her clothes. If no one seemed to be following her (which she was trying to find out by jumping onto the train right before the door closed), the only way a person could be tracking her is by planting a bug in her belongings. That's why in the novel, you can read a monologue of Chidori saying: "is technology advanced enough to plant a bug in this bra? [ponders] ....shit! yes." So she left all of her clothes inside the love hotel and wore only the hotel bathrobe so she can find the culprit who's been tracking her down. And as you can see, Wraith was found spying on Chidori believing that she's still inside the hotel.
Old 2006-03-28, 22:50   Link #74
full_metal_sousuke

Send a message via AIM to full_metal_sousuke
yes, exactly what kujoe said. she did have a bug on her clothes that wraith planted
Old 2006-04-16, 00:58   Link #75
AlanWan881

Hi i would like to ask a question based on the last episode (24th) of Full metal panic. When sosouke takes chidori to fish, chidori hasnt kissed sosouke right ? But i read the 9th volume of the fmp manga yesterday and chidori actually kisses him at the end
Does the orginal novel have kiss ? or they just added it into the manga?
Old 2006-05-02, 23:29   Link #76
kazekiri

They added it for the manga. The novels (and TSR) establish when Chidori gets her first kiss and that's not it.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-03, 21:18   Link #77
ianlag

New in the forum...

Hi, iīm new here in the forum ^^

Idiscovered this thread when i was searching for the FMP novelīs trsnlation.

I went to boku-tachi and saw some novels, regarding of FMP fumoffu and TSR stories, but i want to know where to find the translation of the FMP novels:

VOLUME 1: "Tatakau Boy Meets Girl"
VOLUME 3: "Hashiru One Night Stand"
VOLUME 6: "Yureru Into The Blue"

These novels are the Main stories and because of that, i wanted to read them.

Did Boku-tachi translated that volumes? Is it any of the volumes avaiable for download?

Thanks in advance ^^
Old 2006-05-04, 05:24   Link #78
AlanWan881

If u can read japanese then this site is really good
https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos...255933-9221931
Old 2006-05-04, 09:28   Link #79
ianlag

But I canīt T.T

Although i started japanese classes, a canīt read japanese yet T.T The is no english translation of these volumes?

Thanks ^^
Old 2006-05-07, 20:12   Link #80
grss1982

Hey what ever happened to the knife mounted on the ARX-7's head?

Just to be sure....
Spoiler: