AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-19, 00:20   Link #1
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
Demonbane OVA

This ova just came out, I'm giving it a shot, looks kinda good, over read the description on animinfo. So what do you all think about this OVA? I'll come back when I've seen it.
Old 2004-07-19, 00:42   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hey, it's a Mecha/Drama based anime. Where can you go wrong with a Mecha anime? hehe.
Old 2004-07-19, 01:21   Link #3
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Just finished watching the first episode. The best way to describe this show is that its terrible , seriously I can't actually believe I watched the whole thing.

It just tries to do so many things and colapases under its own weight. First it introduced a lot of characters and all of them are bland making the show boring, their was very little attempt for character development. Second it looks to have a poor story with bad pacing. The show jumps around to a whole bunch of places and introduces all these characters to fast. Its weird I felt I had to watch the whole episode and I really shouldn't have because I just wanted it to end the whole time I was watching it.
Old 2004-07-19, 01:31   Link #4
Data Drain

I think I can explain this. The Demonbane OVA was included with the PS2 game of the same name, Deus Machina Demonbane. The OVA isn't supposed to be stand-alone; it's supposed to go along with the story, where all of the characters are introduced. The PS2 game, recently released July 1st, is a redone version of Deus Machina Demonbane for the PC, released by Nitroplus not too long ago. I've played the PC game, and although I can't really understand much Japanese, I can tell you that you'd like the show a lot better after you play/understand the game.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:00   Link #5
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Yeah since this was an OVA I thought there might of been a series already released but didn't see anything on animenfo. Well it definitly seems like you have to play the game to enjoy the story then.
Old 2004-07-19, 06:40   Link #6
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Just finished watching the first episode. The best way to describe this show is that its terrible , seriously I can't actually believe I watched the whole thing.
I disagree, I liked alot of things that the show did and will definately download later episodes.

I liked all the film noir tricks they pulled with the camera angles. While it did jump around alot, I was able to keep up with it without any trouble. Infact, I thought the weird pacing was a refreshing change from other shows.

The one weakness the show had were the mecha designs. They were pretty mediocre, I thought.

All in all, though, the show was a pleasure to watch.
Old 2004-07-19, 08:31   Link #7
DeluxSkillz

this is only a one episode thing and it sucked bad i guess you need to play the game but seriously this sucked so bad
Old 2004-07-19, 09:08   Link #8
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
I thought it wasn't that bad, I liked the animation style. Except the Demonbane itself reminded me of the power rangers big robot, other then that I was fine with it. I'd like to see some development in a tv series or something. Maybe I just didn't saw much mech animes and that's why I liked it.
Old 2004-07-19, 19:33   Link #9
Elyson
DragonBleaPiece!

Send a message via AIM to Elyson
There's 2 thing's I like about this, and I took screen shots of them!

Spoiler:

and

Spoiler:

.... Other then that I didn't really like it.
Old 2004-07-19, 21:27   Link #10
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

one word horrible

This is a very bad anime. First of all it is extremely short for a ova. Second of all the plot and characters are stupid. I can't believe that i wasted my time dling this. For all who read this plz do not download demonbane
Old 2004-07-19, 21:36   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ok, I finally got to watch this, and yes, I agree with everyone that this IS a VERY bad anime. I sent this thing to the shreader very quickly. I'd say at like the 15 minute mark. Either that or I would have committed kamakaze no jutsu on my computer monitor. o.0 Yes, it's that bad.
Old 2004-07-21, 07:55   Link #12
Baka-Dechu

waste of my downloading time!
Old 2004-07-21, 08:03   Link #13
Anlushac11

If this was a multi episode anime it would have to get alot better real quick to keep my interest.

I though the Mecha wasnt bad, I liked the female reporter, I thought the storyline was decent and mysterious enough to pique my curiosity, Could be interesting if done right.

The bad guy annoyed me...really badly. He was just to much the cliche anime bad guy.

Off hand it wasnt horrible. Not all that great...cant think of anything worse at the moment but Im sure there has been one.
Old 2004-07-21, 12:32   Link #14
LordHypnos
Lord Hypnos

I thought that the name "Demonbane" sounded quite cool so I checked it up on AnimeNfo. If some of you people have read the books about Cthulhu (by H.P. Lovecraft) then I think you might recognize a few things.

Arkham: a city where many of Lovecraft's stories takes place. This is also the place where you can find Miscatonic (can't exacly remember how it was spelled) University, and there you can find the Necronomicon that is a book about black magick and ancient gods. In Lovecraft's books this book, Necronomicon, was written by an insane man called Al Azif.

Putting the name "Deus Machina" on a robot... Isn't "Deus ex Machina" the correct phrase?

Sorry, I've taken up too much of your time now. I won't download Demonbane (even though the title is quite cool) so probably I don't have the right to complain.
Old 2004-07-21, 13:23   Link #15
Tellu54
Banned

Demonbane's OVA alone is a little weak, but it's a LOT of fun in concert with the game.

As for the game itself, I'd give it a 9.5, definately worth a DL. (I won't say where, but we all know where.)
Imagine what would happen if Lovecraft was an anime writer? That's demonbane.
Instead of the minions of the unspeakable Azathoth, you're fighting mysterious gangsters. One of whom is an insane rock-and-roll artist.
Instead of a sanity-ripping tome, the necronomicon is a cute underage girl who turns chibi when she powers you up.
Almost all the characters are women, all of whom have EE breasts. Even the one who can't be more than 16.
Same setting, but now Arkham's gothic instead of spooky.
It's not the SAME writing style, but it's definately drawing inspiration from it. IE, Too many damn adjectives in the writing.
Old 2004-07-22, 06:19   Link #16
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-Dechu
waste of my downloading time!
Geez u getting it for free and still bitching? I never understand people
Old 2004-07-22, 07:27   Link #17
Kiro
chocolate overdose

same here. i downloaded it, started watching it and after 1 minute or so i was allready desinterested so i skipped through, saw lots of weird stuff. -> deleted.

i guess, i just don't like ova's in general. (with exceptions of course) the reason must be that most of them are too fast paced, because they have to squeeze a lot of story in the first ep, then you have to wait like 2 or 3 month for the next episode to come out (and by that time, you don't care anymore or worse, you allready forgot what the first ep was about.)
Old 2004-07-22, 07:30   Link #18
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellu54
Imagine what would happen if Lovecraft was an anime writer? That's demonbane.
Instead of the minions of the unspeakable Azathoth, you're fighting mysterious gangsters. One of whom is an insane rock-and-roll artist.
Instead of a sanity-ripping tome, the necronomicon is a cute underage girl who turns chibi when she powers you up.
How is that anything like Lovecraft?
Old 2004-07-22, 11:52   Link #19
Tellu54
Banned

The trappings, names, settings, and explanation for magic are exactly the same as Lovecraft.
Except when you're exhorted to "Think outside the bounds of Euclidian geometry", it's not because you're slowly going insane from hanging out in a cursed house, it's because you need to use a teleport spell to beat the villian.
Old 2006-06-03, 01:25   Link #20
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Have seen the OVA right now.

Simply put, the visuals just impacted me.

While the DemonBane's movements felt akwardly static and polygonal, the robot itself perfectly blended with the smooth animation and real time cinematics.

Dr. West's one-liners and slapstick mishaps in-between the callous, cold moments are memorable and make the character an atypical villain.

Spoiler:

A perfect 1920's H.P. Lovercraft setting, which portrays magic mysticism within a plutocratic metropolis.

I'm glad to hear for myself that all of the soundtrack in this OVA was ported to the TV series as well.

There were some awesome scores, particularly the one at the end of the climax when Demonbane beats to a pulp West's machine.

It's also got the sentai ranger style from the 70's with all and the robot doing the superhero poses, then Kuro incantating the lines of a justice defender.

Spoiler:
Closed Thread