AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-11, 06:39   Link #41
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

@Mags
Alto is very good protagonist? Really?? He is at best average and on par with many other male protagonists in anime. Seriously if you think he's very good then I cringe to see what is just average to you.

As for Ep 23, what we need is Sheryl saying your welcome to Alto by doing a little apron fetish action. I'm sure that will make him very happy.
Old 2008-09-11, 07:05   Link #42
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
@Mags
Alto is very good protagonist? Really??
YA RLY!

Quote:
He is at best average and on par with many other male protagonists in anime. Seriously if you think he's very good then I cringe to see what is just average to you.
Well, first off you can drop the antagonistic and insulting attitude.

Secondly, different persons have different standards. I like that Alto clearly cares about the other characters, and can forgive him for not having a personality which is more outgoing. He has problems connecting with other people, but when he does, he forms strong bonds, IMO.

Sure, I like other characters more than him. Gene Starwind is such an example. But that doesnīt mean I need to actively disappreciate Alto, like a few here.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:05   Link #43
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

I think some tongue-in-cheek comments on internet boards can be so wrongfully interpreted that the reactions to them seem, at least, funny.
Couldn't we refrain from personal attacks and just discuss/argue like civilized people? I mean, internet fights suck, and not just because they're boring... but because viciousness here is a pretty poor mark of character, wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, back on topic: I hope this episode delivers on the thrills, just like the last one.

Old 2008-09-11, 08:10   Link #44
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Why you always assume that my attitude is the worst every time you read something I post that disproves of the character Alto? Even if I say something half way decent about him you seem to jump down my throat. I'm beginning to think you support the Character Alto only because it makes the Character Sheryl happy in the story and for no other reason than that. And really I'm interested to know what characters you feel are good and which are average because my only opinion of your ability to recognize good from bad is a single male character in a single anime series. Not much to go on really.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:31   Link #45
AlaAlba

3 hours to go
Old 2008-09-11, 08:45   Link #46
Wesley84

I don't think you can 100% believe Alto really cares about anything. The way his brother talks about him, he's never sincere about anything. He's not necessarily a bad guy, but I wouldn't invest anymore interest in him than some character played by a B actor on a soap opera.

Speaking of which, I hope they give Leon a Russian/Eastern European accent. That way everyone will know he's a badguy right off the bat for the dub.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:45   Link #47
magnuskn

Quote:
Why you always assume that my attitude is the worst every time you read something I post that disproves of the character Alto? Even if I say something half way decent about him you seem to jump down my throat. I'm beginning to think you support the Character Alto only because it makes the Character Sheryl happy in the story and for no other reason than that. And really I'm interested to know what characters you feel are good and which are average because my only opinion of your ability to recognize good from bad is a single male character in a single anime series. Not much to go on really.
If you insinuate that I have the taste of a simpleton, because I consider Alto to be a good protagist, then I figure it is an insult. If it wasnīt meant as such, you should choose your words better.

I explained several times what I think makes him a good character. You so far havenīt even tried to counter my arguments.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:51   Link #48
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
3 hours to go
it's settled then................
i'll be awake until then, screw school
Old 2008-09-11, 09:26   Link #49
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I don't think you can 100% believe Alto really cares about anything. The way his brother talks about him, he's never sincere about anything. He's not necessarily a bad guy, but I wouldn't invest anymore interest in him than some character played by a B actor on a soap opera.

Speaking of which, I hope they give Leon a Russian/Eastern European accent. That way everyone will know he's a badguy right off the bat for the dub.

You do realize that your entire perception of Alto is based solely on a SMALL MINOR segment out of the entirety of the show?
Just like how your idolization of Ranka is based solely on the belief that she can do no wrong, and any wrong she does is a result of everyone else being evil?

@magnuskn: Yes I know, but next to all of the other significant characters of the show, Alto really doesn't deliver XD As I said, he's a lameass male hero, my issue isn't with his character but his actions paired next to his status in the show. I don't expect him to be a genius, but he should at the very least have some sort of gimmick, and seeing as his girly face landed flat, and his paper airplane folding is kind of...demented...there's really not much that makes him more than a side character given too much screentime
Old 2008-09-11, 09:35   Link #50
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
You do realize that your entire perception of Alto is based solely on a SMALL MINOR segment out of the entirety of the show?
Just like how your idolization of Ranka is based solely on the belief that she can do no wrong, and any wrong she does is a result of everyone else being evil?

@magnuskn: Yes I know, but next to all of the other significant characters of the show, Alto really doesn't deliver XD As I said, he's a lameass male hero, my issue isn't with his character but his actions paired next to his status in the show. I don't expect him to be a genius, but he should at the very least have some sort of gimmick, and seeing as his girly face landed flat, and his paper airplane folding is kind of...demented...there's really not much that makes him more than a side character given too much screentime
and that shall be over after ep 23..i'm sure of it XD
he'll show you why he was chosen as the main chara XD
Old 2008-09-11, 09:38   Link #51
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

I hope so XDDDDDDDD
I really do, but even if he doesn't I don't really care. In the end all I want is a conclusion so that I'd stop coming here every Thursday counting down till the RAWs come out.

by the way does anyone know where to get them faster D8 Last time i had to wait till (my time) 2-3am and I really don't intend to do that again ;_;
Old 2008-09-11, 09:41   Link #52
magnuskn

Quote:

Well, Hikaru also didnīt habe a special "hook"( Well, besides being a jack-ass to Misa too many times, that is...), and still made a compelling character.

Alto is just a little bit less special, because he never made squadron leader until just now.
Old 2008-09-11, 09:43   Link #53
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, Hikaru also didnīt habe a special "hook"( Well, besides being a jack-ass to Misa too many times, that is...), and still made a compelling character.

Alto is just a little bit less special, because he never made squadron leader until just now.
That's the thing XD
It's a little late. Even if we have a few Eps to go it's very late.
I also don't see him as someone who has leadership qualities. he really doesn't relate with anyone too well unless they have a pair of boobs or big oogly eyes.

I know he likes flying and all, but all i can really see him being is like...a housewife hahaha;
Old 2008-09-11, 09:57   Link #54
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I dunno. I kinda like that Alto is not a supreme pilot who is revered wherever he goes. Makes him seem more special, however oxymoronic that can be. Not every male lead in anime needs to be so special, eh? Sometimes, the mundane can surprise you just as well.
That's one thing I think they got right.

But, if they had explored more of his kabuki background, maybe that could be more to your liking, ippus? I mean, they did make such a big deal of Alto-hime in the first OP, you'd think that image would play out a much larger role in the series itself, no?

Old 2008-09-11, 10:30   Link #55
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
this episode is giving me macross plus vibes

which translate to a probabl 10/10 ep

info high....please make your appearance
Old 2008-09-11, 10:32   Link #56
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Actually, they sort of do. Even Kyon from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (A series which I also hate...*gets flamed by fanboys*) had his gimmick, he had his internal monologue that was flat out down to earth next to the craziness that was occurring around him, and that show prided itself with an entire episode of senseless mediocrity to apparently "celebrate the melancholy mundane-ness of everyday life". They had the guy walk down and back up a bloody hill for the entire damn episode where NOTHING happened *headdesk*

But anyway before I stray even further, He has to be special, that's the point having protagonists. They're not expected to be geniuses, luck doesn't have to go their way, in fact other people can be more special than they are at points in time (Kamina/Simon GL) but they have to climb up and somehow deserve that spotlight.

Alto isn't interesting, the show builds up a hellalot of mystery around him, but who can honestly say they're interested in his background when we're more busy hoping for info on Ranka and Sheryl?
Oh and also, speaking of character history. Am I the only one who thought Mikhail's past story was the most pointless thing ever;;;
Old 2008-09-11, 10:37   Link #57
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

No, you're not.

But I'm sorry to disappoint you: I'm interested in Alto's background, as in "why did he leave his house, after all that time playing in the theater"? That's something I'd like to know, actually - as well as the actual reasons for his dislike of his father (other than the simple "he didn't let me do my thang" shtick).

Old 2008-09-11, 10:37   Link #58
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Actually, they sort of do. Even Kyon from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (A series which I also hate...*gets flamed by fanboys*) had his gimmick, he had his internal monologue that was flat out down to earth next to the craziness that was occurring around him, and that show prided itself with an entire episode of senseless mediocrity to apparently "celebrate the melancholy mundane-ness of everyday life". They had the guy walk down and back up a bloody hill for the entire damn episode where NOTHING happened *headdesk*

But anyway before I stray even further, He has to be special, that's the point having protagonists. They're not expected to be geniuses, luck doesn't have to go their way, in fact other people can be more special than they are at points in time (Kamina/Simon GL) but they have to climb up and somehow deserve that spotlight.

Alto isn't interesting, the show builds up a hellalot of mystery around him, but who can honestly say they're interested in his background when we're more busy hoping for info on Ranka and Sheryl?
Oh and also, speaking of character history. Am I the only one who thought Mikhail's past story was the most pointless thing ever;;;
Haruhi..read the manga...bored to death, i hope the anime is not so

anyway, about mikhail's past, that was definitely a filler, and at least it was still enjoyable, maybe plot-wise it didn't have anything to give us, but in term of chara dev, i think it was worth it
Old 2008-09-11, 10:40   Link #59
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
anyway, about mikhail's past, that was definitely a filler, and at least it was still enjoyable, maybe plot-wise it didn't have anything to give us, but in term of chara dev, i think it was worth it
It seemed under-developed. It was one of the reasons why I was kinda expecting him to pop up anytime, not being dead, dead. Alas... it was a good bit, anyway.

Old 2008-09-11, 10:46   Link #60
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

@indr0008: I was told by a fanboy that it was philosophically enlightening, but I felt it was gimmicky and stupid. The episode scrambling, the half baked forshadowing, the evil mundane episode, episode 1 that is episode zero that is ACTUALLY an episode slotted in the middle made to look like a crappy highschool homemade video in anime form thing.....THAT GIRL HAS A CULT/RELIGION NAMED AFTER HER.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGG

The horrors of past traumas *wibbles in a corner*

Character...development? Honestly I felt I learned...absolutely nothing about Mikhail from that episode which was why i was so bothered.

@BetoJR: You have, what, two episodes after today. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me you'd rather be told in that MINUTE spectrum of time that you'd rather find out about Alto hime's Kabuki past and emasculated traumas OVER Sheryl's childhood in Galaxy, her illness + Mao Nome and co. Along with Ranka's Vajira's connection? If you ahd to choose two characters out of three to find out about during this time, would Alto seriously be on your list o_O
Closed Thread