AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-06, 16:55   Link #1
smashpoint

A Special Kind Of Romance

I'm looking for romance anime that is not too comedy in the sense of a girl punching or kicking a guy frequently. It get's kind of annoying and also tends to make the character look weak. I like EF A Tale Of Memories and Shuffle most. I did like Love Hina though especially the Christmas special and the last episode of Love Hina Again (no hitting going on). I also like serious romance like Ayashi no Ceres but not if it borders on being Shoujo/shōjo. I didn't like Footprints In The Sand because the guy was just the opposite of very shounen lead guys like Kamina and Simon from Gurren Lagen. I liked Kakonon in a kind of indulging way but not too many titles like it except maybe Rosario Vampire. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

I've watched
EF A Tale Of Memories
Shuffle
Rosario Vampire
Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien
Sola
Myself Yourself
Kanokon
Saikano
Ayashi No Ceres
REC
Elfen Lied
Ah! My Goddess (Really liked this one.)
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
Mahoromatic

Last edited by smashpoint; 2009-11-06 at 17:20.
Old 2009-11-06, 17:12   Link #2
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
I'm looking for romance anime that is not too comedy in the sense of a girl punching or kicking a guy frequently.
I knew that you had seen Love Hina right after reading this. Thankfully, not all romance anime is like Love Hina.

First I would reccomend Maison Ikkoku. It sounds like you liked some aspects of Love Hina. Well, Love Hina is basically just a weak clone of Maison Ikkoku, which has the somewhat similar premise and setting. Maison Ikkoku is just a lot better, its dramatic moments are more sincere, its comedy is funnier, etc.

Otherwise, look at Kare Kano, Cross Game, Nodame Cantabile, and Honey and Clover.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-11-06, 17:18   Link #3
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Air, Kanon, Clannad, Myself Yourself, 5CM per second, True tears, don't know
Old 2009-11-06, 22:10   Link #4
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

I'm going to recommend Lamune, it wasn't a very popular anime but it worked incredibly well for me. It's a typical childhood friend romance but it has certain air of innocence that felt very real in my opinion.

It's very slow and the romance itself was mostly platonic but it was one of those anime that just makes you feel good.
Old 2009-11-06, 22:29   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku = Lova Hina - kicking/punching

Also, second Cross Game. Aoba only punches Kou when he crosses the "no touching" line, (and Kou tends to take it pretty well- none of this grovelling stuff).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-07, 02:50   Link #6
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I would highly recommend Fruits Basket if you haven't already seen it. It's really really good--one of my favorites. The manga picks up where the anime leaves off (not that the anime has a bad ending).
I would also recommend Howl's Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart, which are both Studio Ghibli films.
You might also enjoy Special A.
Old 2009-11-07, 15:20   Link #7
MamoruUsagi

Most serious romance series are shoujo manga. Some shoujo manga/anime that are mature and realistic romance that don't follow cliche shojo or that do have very strong romanceare

Mars
The Devil Does Exist
Bokura ga Ita
Kare First Love
Paradise Kiss
Kare Kano
Ceres Celestial Legend
High School Debut
Fushigi Yugi
Happy Hustle High
Land of The Blindfolded
Sand Chronicles

Most mature romance series thta have the couples dating and in relationships are shoujo manga, but their are a lot of mature shoujo that are different from usual. The Ayashi no Ceres manga is a lot longer and more mature than the anime, you should read it.

The best relationship romance series I've read are

Mars
The Devil Does Exist
Bokura ga Ita
Fushigi Yuugi
Kare First Love
High School Debut
Ayashi no Ceres
Paradise Kiss
Happy Hustle High
Missile Happy!
Akuma De Sourou
Wild Act
Sailor Moon
Land of The Blindfolded
Kare Kano

These series have the couples in mature relationships, dating, kissing, sex, realistic issues, no punching and slapstick comedy.

Mars and The Devil Does Exist and Bokura ga Ita and Paradise Kiss and Ceres Celestial Legend are the most real and mature romance manga with no comedy.

High School Debut and Kare First Love and Happy Hustle High and Fushigi Yugi are romance series with the couples dating and in relationships. There is some comedy, but it mainly focuses on the relationships.

Peach Girl is a seriosu romance series, but it might be too shoujo for you. Marmalade Boy and Absolute Boyfriend have couples in relationships and dating, but there is some comedy.

We Were There, Bokura ga Ita is greta and realistic.

Mars is the most mature and realistic manga out of all series.

The Devil Does Exist is also a manga I really recommend.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2009-11-07 at 15:31.
Old 2009-11-07, 19:11   Link #8
Ansalem
Speaker

Since you say that Ef: A Tale of Memories is one of your favorites, I'd second some series that have been mentioned already: Air, Kanon, and True Tears all have the same kind of vaguely mystical feel that is present in Ef. Ef also has a sequel, Ef: A Tale of Melodies that I'd assume you'd be interested in if you haven't seen.

Otherwise, Nodame Cantabile and Honey and Clover are very enjoyable romance shows which I'd recommend wholeheartedly.
Old 2009-11-11, 13:28   Link #9
smashpoint

Well I'm watching Ichigo 100% and it's pretty good so I'd add that to my list. About the ones that are serious but shoujo/shojo the thing is I like when the main character is male but not as the pathetic character or as a side story to the girls' activites.
Closed Thread