AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-10, 16:19   Link #6421
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
My guess at Vivid's next story arc?

Vivio: Hey look everyone! *Holds up flyer that says "Strike Arts Tournament"* Let's all take part in this! We should get training right away!

Yes, nothing says 'generic shonen' like a tournament arc
I hope not, that would kill any interest left i have in Vivid.
Old 2010-01-10, 17:03   Link #6422
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:

Vivio: Hey look everyone! *Holds up flyer that says "Strike Arts Tournament"* Let's all take part in this! We should get training right away!

Do not want.

Barely anything is keeping me in Vivid as it is, if they go this route with the characters I'll just drop it completely and focus on Force.
Old 2010-01-10, 18:05   Link #6423
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:

I would LOVE it if it would actually happen! Cookies for Raiser if it actually happens. (even though it's been done repeatedly in other series...)

EDIT:

Quote:
I hope not, that would kill any interest left i have in Vivid.
Quote:
Do not want.

Barely anything is keeping me in Vivid as it is, if they go this route with the characters I'll just drop it completely and focus on Force.
Huh?
Old 2010-01-10, 18:44   Link #6424
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
Huh?
I don't want a tournament arc. I'm praying we don't get a tournament arc. It's a staple of many fighting/shounen series, and I've very rarely read a case where it was well done. I'm already turned off from Vivid because of the massive fanservice and lack of a decent plot, barring some hints that barely caught my attention. If we go into a tournament arc, I'm going to drop the series completely.
Old 2010-01-10, 18:44   Link #6425
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:

Forgoing all yuri undertones and settling for HOT BLOODED THESE-HANDS-OF-MINE-THEY-GLOW-WITH-AN-AWESOME-MANALET-MY-FIST-DO-THE-TALKING?

YYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 2010-01-10, 18:45   Link #6426
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

YuYu Hakusho - The Dark Tournament.

Very entertaining watch.

Guess it boils down to what is more interesting. Training camp ala StrikerS, or real fighting with incentive. I'll admit tournaments are a very generic shounen cliche, though...
Old 2010-01-10, 18:47   Link #6427
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

YuYu Hakusho never really caught my attention, and still fails to. Honestly, the only tournament arc I love to pieces is the arc in Negima, and that's because it's part of the plot and character development. Vivid has been seriously lacking in both up until this point, not counting Vivio, Ein, and Nove.
Old 2010-01-10, 18:49   Link #6428
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well that arc in particular was good. I thought.
Old 2010-01-10, 19:29   Link #6429
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well, a tournament arc in Vivid would go one of two ways:

1.) Named cast members defeat faceless opponents off screen and the only fights shown are ones between named characters.

2.) A bunch of new characters are introduced as rivals, making the people who thought the cast was big enough already scream and tear their hair out.

Anyways, no matter where the manga goes, I predict that in the end it will boil down to a fight between Vivio and Einhart, where Vivio actually wins this time.
Old 2010-01-10, 19:31   Link #6430
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:

2.) A bunch of new characters are introduced as rivals, making the people who thought the cast was big enough already scream and tear their hair out.
Okay, I no longer have a desire for a tournament arc.
Old 2010-01-10, 19:48   Link #6431
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
But... but...

Lio and Corona haven't even been decently fleshed out! At least Suzuka and Arisa got some character development before they were dropped! Vivio might as well have cardboard props for friends with all the personality they have... >>;;;
Old 2010-01-10, 20:22   Link #6432
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
But... but...

Lio and Corona haven't even been decently fleshed out! At least Suzuka and Arisa got some character development before they were dropped! Vivio might as well have cardboard props for friends with all the personality they have... >>;;;
I actually giggled at this.
Old 2010-01-10, 21:07   Link #6433
Jimmy C

Tournament stories are often plot devices for stalling time in the event the creator has no idea where to go with his story. The usual 8-4-2-1 matches format gives you 15 stories in one go, many times that in chapters if you break up each fight into several chapters. If you've figured out what to do early, you can abort the tournament, or just get on with it after wrapping up the tournament.
But does Vivid need that kind of delaying tactic? With only one chapter to produce per month, they have 4 times the time for planning.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2010-01-10 at 22:34.
Old 2010-01-10, 21:21   Link #6434
Lord Pertinax
Word Bearers Kommandant

Quote:
I actually giggled at this.
Most of us did, it's normal.

"For each hero's song thousands die alone, unsung and unremembered." Anonymous.
Old 2010-01-10, 22:28   Link #6435
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Oh no tournament arc. We don't need another Negima Loli-Shounen hybrid. D=
Old 2010-01-10, 22:47   Link #6436
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Loli-Shounen hybrid. D=
You just made me think of the girls all getting turned into shoutas. I wouldn't mind bishie!Teana though... What's that orange light?

*is Starlight Breakered*
Old 2010-01-11, 03:43   Link #6437
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:

Huh?
For my part i really loath tournament arcs, most of the time the plot slow to a drag and you must go through a serie of more or less pointless fight.
Old 2010-01-11, 07:38   Link #6438
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
For my part i really loath tournament arcs, most of the time the plot slow to a drag and you must go through a serie of more or less pointless fight.
Then suddenly you have a twit, either the host or someone else, who does an ominous smirk while cackling as s/he looks at Vivio, Einhart and the rest of the combatants of the canon cast and says, "Everything is going according to the plan."

"Plan" meaning, "I don't know what to do with the story so I pull a Just as Planned device off my ass to hide the glaring flaws of my story."
Old 2010-01-11, 07:50   Link #6439
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Then suddenly you have a twit, either the host or someone else, who does an ominous smirk while cackling as s/he looks at Vivio, Einhart and the rest of the combatants of the canon cast and says, "Everything is going according to the plan."

"Plan" meaning, "I don't know what to do with the story so I pull a Just as Planned device off my ass to hide the glaring flaws of my story."
As a general rule of thumb, all evils villains have ridiculous faith in plans. "Sure, they've beaten my soldiers, dragon, best mage, and a demi-God, but NO ONE could beat this mystical artifact! Muhahaha!" And if they do, no problem, because there's NO WAY they could beat the forest of illusion, etc. Villains are dumb.
Old 2010-01-11, 08:44   Link #6440
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Not dumb. Just... Cliched and thus predictable.

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen