AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-08, 16:07   Link #41
Katapan
俺様祭り

Finally, the main cast has been announced (scans borrowed from MAL, many thanks go to dtshyk). And I'm pretty damn satisfied with the vast majority of the choices.

Kuronuma Sawako - Noto Mamiko
Kazehaya Shouta - Namikawa Daisuke
Yano Ayane - Sawashiro Miyuki
Yoshida Chizuru - Sanpei Yuuko
Sanada Ryuu - Nakamura Yuuichi
Kurumizawa Ume - Hirano Aya

I wouldn't have imagined it, but Noto Mamiko in this role sounds perfect to me (even though being a perfect fit to Sawako isn't an easy task). So do Miyukichi, Hirano Aya and Nakamura Yuuichi. I haven't heard Sanpei Yuuko play enough female roles to judge, but I honestly think she could pull Chizu off just well (once again, despite not being an easy role). I'm a bit puzzled regarding Namikawa Daisuke as Kazehaya though, as much as I like the seiyuu - I had something different in mind, but it's not like I know all of Namikawa's distinctive voices either.

This is a stellar cast, anyway. Prod. I.G. going all out?!
Old 2009-08-08, 16:34   Link #42
Westlo
Lets be reality

That is a rather stellar cast, I've got mixed feelings about Noto though.. some roles I feel she is really suited for (Nina in Monster for one) and others just seem.. so phoned in... (or maybe it's the characters she's playing as opposed to her) hopefully she gels well with Sawako. Namikawa Daisuke and Nakamura Yuuichi are definitely good fits for Kazehaya and Ryuu imo. Always like to see Sawashiro Miyuki get more roles and she should do her usual great job, though I haven't seen many female characters by Sanpei Yuuko aside from that one in Xam'd. Actually haven't read enough of the manga to see Hirano's character appear so no comment on that piece of casting.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 17:16   Link #43
*reira*

I *love* the female cast.

I really don't undestand why on earth they had to choose Namikawa of all people. To me he just doesn't sound fresh and breezy as Kazahaya is supposed to be.
Really happy for Noto as Sawako and Sanpei as Chizu**.

Last edited by *reira*; 2009-08-11 at 13:29.
*reira* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 17:22   Link #44
Westlo
Lets be reality

Wouldn't his Mikage from 07-Ghost be similar to what he uses for Kazahaya? I doubt he'll sound like Rock from Black Lagoon...
Old 2009-08-08, 18:10   Link #45
nanafan
horo fan

i am excited about this one! i have read a bit of the manga, and i enjoyed what i read of it. i hope it will turn out good.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 18:13   Link #46
Theowne
耳をすませば

I hope this will be good. I haven't found any high school anime since Kare Kano to match how endearing that was.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 02:15   Link #47
Westlo
Lets be reality

I was reading a few chapters of the manga last night.. Noto Mamiko as Sawako just doesn't feel right to me...
Old 2009-08-11, 09:47   Link #48
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I was reading a few chapters of the manga last night.. Noto Mamiko as Sawako just doesn't feel right to me...
I dunno... I think she's one of the rare people who could pull off the very particular kind of innocence Sawako oozes with. I can imagine her in the role, but I can't find any past work where she might sound similar... Anyway, I hope you might be pleasantly surprised when the series starts.

On the other hand, I may love Namikawa's Mikage, but I think that's about as "fresh and breezy" as he can sound (thanks for the very accurate description of Kazehaya, reira) - and sadly, that's not quite enough to convey Kazehaya's character. I'm the one who'll be hoping for a surprise here.
Old 2009-08-11, 09:53   Link #49
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I think it's pretty silly that i haven't read any of the manga yet, especially when i know it's my kind of story. Will probably do a mini marathon sometime this week to see what i think.
Old 2009-08-27, 04:03   Link #50
Katapan
俺様祭り

The official site has been updated with the airing date and time. The series will be starting on October 6th, at 24:59. As I mentioned earlier, Souten Kourou is currently airing on this timeslot.

Still no shoujo in prime time, boo. And if this series doesn't air earlier, which series could?
Old 2009-08-27, 04:16   Link #51
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Not bad. Looks like i'll have Kobato and now Kimi ni Todoke airing on the same day. I'm just going to love Tuesdays.
Old 2009-08-28, 06:27   Link #52
Ottocycle

The ANN review of this manga singlehandedly put this show on my radar. The studio & cast adds to the appeal too. I have pretty high expectations for this.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 07:55   Link #53
Woland
Latin Rascal

I've read the first volume of the manga and I have to say I'm really unimpressed. It get any better beyond that? Because I was surprised such a generic shojo, a (lot) plainer version ov Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge at best, to be that popular (right after Nana in the shojo charts).

I had expectations about the title, so now I'm quite puzzled...
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 04:02   Link #54
Viola C
Teru Fan

It didn't impress me at first, but I fell in love with it somewhere around volume 2. Then again, I tend to like shoujo. Well, anyway, I really want to see the anime now.
Viola C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 08:59   Link #55
Woland
Latin Rascal

Well, let's say I'm more inclined toward Josei but it's not that I a dislike shojo per sé.
Anyway many thanks, I'm a bit relived now, at least I'm more inclined to read other chapters (I'm still watching the series to test the quality of a shojo adaptation from I.G.)
Old 2009-08-31, 13:06   Link #56
nanafan
horo fan

wow, it's airing soon. i just started rereading the manga, i remember why i liked it so much..it's so funny and cute. i am excited for this one.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 16:25   Link #57
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
I've read the first volume of the manga and I have to say I'm really unimpressed. It get any better beyond that? Because I was surprised such a generic shojo, a (lot) plainer version ov Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge at best, to be that popular (right after Nana in the shojo charts). I had expectations about the title, so now I'm quite puzzled...
There would be a reason it was voted best shoujo manga of 2008. I've read 17 chapters and enjoy this manga far more than Shichi Henge, with which it has very few similarities, to me. The feel of this is totally different. It's about how people feel, rather than what they do.

I loathe the common term "generic shoujo," since it seems to ignore the fact that shounen shows are much more generic. Fighting in every one, and a boy striving to be a man. Yawn. But it is definitely shoujo, so if one doesn't enjoy shoujo romance, this isn't a good choice.

The romance and the psychology of the lead are quite interesting, even if things do get a bit repetitive as the story goes on. This is better than Shichi Henge, but nowhere near as good as NANA.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 17:37   Link #58
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I loathe the common term "generic shoujo," since it seems to ignore the fact that shounen shows are much more generic. Fighting in every one, and a boy striving to be a man. Yawn. But it is definitely shoujo, so if one doesn't enjoy shoujo romance, this isn't a good choice.
Firts thing first... Are you implying that all shonen manga strictly follow the same path of a generic shonen jump action title? It's a totally wrong assumption, completely out of sign. And as for myself, I never liked that kind of format, even as a Kid, when all my friends where bewitched by Saint Seiya, Okuto no Ken and such (no there was no dragon ball or Naruto at that time ). Hell, even Sayonara zetsubo Sensei is a shonen.

Second, I've read (not only watched anime adaptation) plenty of shojo, dozen of them actually, from cult classic from Ryoko Ikeda (Versaiiles no Bara, Oni-sama e) or Suzue Miuchi (Glass no Kamen) to more recent authors like Clamp or Ai yazawa to name few. So it's not that I don't know of what I'm talking. That's probably why now I tend to prefer Josei, usually more mature and composed in storytelling.

I have even read a second volume of Kimi ni Todoke, and now, at least, I understand because is famous, definitively more pathos and thing that move in the right direction to grab the attention but (yeah, there is a "but") if possible I Like it even less than before. Because seems to me, again, a generic romance in substance and development, like many other I've read about.

(I fear I pushed my poor english to the limits, so I apologies for this mess )
Old 2009-09-05, 06:07   Link #59
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

The plotline of a good shoujo and a bad typical shoujo is pretty much the same. I often find good shoujo are the ones that are well written, with good character developements.

I was a big shoujo fan a couple of years ago, I read alot of crap shoujo and very few good shoujo. Although I do admit I'm more a ribon/nakayoshi shoujo fan then the more 'mature' mangas. I tend to like shoujo that is well written then having a plot that I never seen before.

I still haven't Kimi Ni Todoke, the anime for now looks very promising, so I think I want to see the anime first before reading the manga. If the anime goes wrong, I can always go and read the manga.
Old 2009-09-14, 20:52   Link #60
CHRONICLE_KEY

Apparently there was a Kimi ni Todoke event and this video shows the event and a little of the anime (around 3:10).
CHRONICLE_KEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
production i.g, romance, shoujo