AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-25, 21:21   Link #1
zizhou

Unlicensed Fansubbed Movies

Hello! I am in charge of doing the programming for my college's anime club, and I'm looking for a good movie to close out the term for our last showing of the year. Because of various associated student bylaws, we are required to secure showing rights for any licensed series/movies that we show and, due to some laziness on my part, I've been a bit slow getting around to doing this. This, of course, rather limits my options in the movie department. I'd love to show something like TokiKake or 5 Cm Per Second, but I'll probably not be hearing back from their respective licensors until next year.

Anyhow, to get back to the point at hand, can anyone suggest any (preferably recent, if only to make obtaining it easier) unlicensed subbed movies? Pretty much any genre works, but I'd prefer to keep it at about a "hard PG-13" sort of rating at most.

I'd rather not have to fall back on the Animal Crossing Movie...

Thanks!
Old 2008-11-26, 00:10   Link #2
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Well, all of the following are decent, and can be found on AnimeSuki so it is not licensed (as well as not shown in the U.S.).
Macross: Do You Remember Love?- an old film, but still a great watch
Clannad (movie)- not as great as the series, but still good overall

May I ask if you have to get fansubbed movies? Can you not go rent some films from a store (that are dubbed). If you are able to rent films, I would recommend the following

Most of Studio Ghibli's work (includes Mononoke Hime, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle)
Advent Children
Paprika

Sorry if I'm not being that helpful.
Old 2008-11-26, 10:16   Link #3
Niji

Nitaboh - traditional music, story about a shamisen player
Piano no mori - about 2 boys playing classical piano
Arashi no yoru ni - about a special kind of friendship
Old 2008-11-28, 06:46   Link #4
zizhou

Thanks for your suggestions! I've already shown Clannad in the past, but I went and got Piano no Mori and that fits the bill pretty well. I'll probably save the Macross film for another time and I'm downloading Arashi no Yoru ni as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers
May I ask if you have to get fansubbed movies? Can you not go rent some films from a store (that are dubbed).
Just to clarify, the reason I have to get fansubbed [anything] is for reasons of legality. The University of California is a public institution and, by association, the club's showings are (in a roundabout sense) publicly funded and open to the general populace. While copyright laws are perfectly fine with private use, when we move into the public arena, things get a little tricky. To make things short, it's easier to head off any potential legal trouble than deal with it should someone object.
Closed Thread