AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 17 29.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 26.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 15.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.51%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-16, 15:06   Link #81
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Three cheers for pointless character going bye bye?
And champagne? Seriously, his existence was the greatest waste of time. Though what is unnerving is that while being a waste of time, he apparently became a magnet of many negative character attributes. Failed character development is failed character development!

That and the silly love triangle. It served only to dumb down the characters' maturity level while adding nothing but frustration in between. The game portrayed young adults in war, but the anime only turned them into high school rejects. Now, I am not saying there is absolutely no merit in their character development, but there were times when I felt extremely short of expectations.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-16, 15:27   Link #82
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

I'm glad i'm not like most of you guys that played the game. I've enjoyed the series so far and don't have any problems with it. Just like the Chaos Head, everyone that played the game was pissed about the anime version, which I also enjoyed.

And
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post

Hopefully the writers keep Faldio's game outcome in tact. l need more lulz.
Lol can you tell me what's his outcome? PM if you can't say it with the spoiler tags. XD
Old 2009-08-16, 16:02   Link #83
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Neither am I, but I probably wouldn't go around shooting a comrade-in-arms and, worse, someone I've declared my feelings for. It feels forced as all hell, even with the "out of mind" excuse going on. Sorry.
His problem is that he saw a true valkyrian and her powers. I think he is afraid that Alicia could turn out the same as Selvaria he shot out of affect.

But what also could be possible is that he shot at her with the risk of a lethal wound to awaken her valkyr powers as a counterpart to Selvaria. But without a real sub I really do not know why she shot at the end but these two possibilities is what I have in mind regarding faldios shot.
Old 2009-08-16, 16:06   Link #84
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
His problem is that he saw a true valkyrian and her powers. I think he is afraid that Alicia could turn out the same as Selvaria he shot out of affect.
lf that was his only reason, then he is plain retarded. By all the stalking he has done... you would think he pretty much would had figured out Alicia's character by now.
Old 2009-08-16, 17:41   Link #85
kalbron

Exactly.

This twist makes no sense. In the context of the game, the shooting made sense, here Faldio should have been doing everything in his power to find a way to not shoot Alicia, no matter how traumatised he is from his squad's death.

I mean sheesh. Does this mean we should have expected Welkin to shoot Alicia because Isara died? I'd say they're both roughly equal on a mental pain level given that a squad formed less than a year ago can only ever become psuedo family, whereas Welkin had grown up with Isara.
Old 2009-08-16, 18:10   Link #86
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

Maybe he knows thats the only way to activate her powers. He was already planning on sniping her, remember he was practicing his sniping skillz. But he isn't very
good at sniping so he took that opportunity to shoot her at close range.
Old 2009-08-16, 18:27   Link #87
golthin

only thing that I have to say about this episode is; whoever designed that empire big tank, he has to join the designer of the deathstar for allowing their weapon to have such a big flaw.
Old 2009-08-16, 18:38   Link #88
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
lf that was his only reason, then he is plain retarded. By all the stalking he has done... you would think he pretty much would had figured out Alicia's character by now.
Give the guy a break.

He just saw his entire squad and allied regiments wiped out within seconds, leaving him the only survivor. That's enough to traumatize anyone into a mute.

With Alicia, well you know what they say, extreme situations requires desparate measures and he threw in his lot to give Gallia a fighting chance.

Quote:
And champagne? Seriously, his existence was the greatest waste of time. Though what is unnerving is that while being a waste of time, he apparently became a magnet of many negative character attributes. Failed character development is failed character development!
Whose existence was a waste of time? What character are you guys talking about? There was never such a character
Old 2009-08-16, 18:45   Link #89
Tak

In regards to Faldio nearly fatally shot Alicia, here is my take.

In the game, the sniping wasn't up-close-and-in-your-face, thus the audiences' animosity towards Faldio may have been lessened as a result, especially he had his big redemption.

Here? We witnessed the shooting up-close-and-in-your-face personal, the effect on the audience is drastically altered, allowing those who already hate the man to hate him even more, and perhaps even change the opinions for some of those who might actually like the guy.

At this point, I am not sure if he knew anything about Alicia's secret, but if shooting her was simply due to his frustration, while suffering from a mental breakdown, its probably not the best way to raise our sympathy for him.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-16, 19:08   Link #90
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
What? He shot her because he liked her? Now, ladies and gentlemen, that's class.

Now, now, I was one of the (very?) few people who didn't really dislike his character. But now, with what he's done here, I can clearly say I have no sympathy for him whatsoever, anymore. It'll have to be one hell of a redemption for this impression to change, I give you that.

Old 2009-08-16, 19:09   Link #91
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGO View Post
I'm glad i'm not like most of you guys that played the game. I've enjoyed the series so far and don't have any problems with it. Just like the Chaos Head, everyone that played the game was pissed about the anime version, which I also enjoyed.
same here, I actually really like this show lol, the characters are quite interesting, the visual quality is quite consistent, and the story has a bit of everything...glad I don't have PS3

Back to Falido, I wonder what kind of book tells him he can do that kind of experiment?

He probably read a fairy tale and the book states: "Once upon a time, there were some ppl who had amazing abilities..." and he actually believes in the fairy tale
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-16, 19:41   Link #92
kujoe
from head to heel

Ah no...

The same criticism applies regardless if one has played the game or not. To say that "I'm glad I don't have a PS3," (the console or the game? Okay...) and to think that having no such thing should automatically give this turn of events a pass is entirely missing the point. The anime after all, has done things differently in certain areas already.

Like I said, it's isn't really about the anime vs. game comparisons, but rather—for this episode, with regard to Faldio with all the stuff so far—it's more about the suspension of disbelief.

Granted, there's still the next episode for things to turn around and make better sense, but at this point I'm just going to call like it is.
Old 2009-08-16, 19:53   Link #93
justavisitor

Oh I am responding to the general criticism about the series...Sometimes it's the first impression that got into ppl's minds...I was in similar situation before, I could hardly accept those novel-turned-into-drama or novel-turned-into-movie...Every time when something goes differently, I immediately think the novel is better, provided that I read the novel before those dramas or movies

about Faldio, like I said, I don't know what kind of book he is reading, and i think he was going so close to be insane at that moment...so you can't really predict the next step from a guy in abnormal state..so does the scene feel rush, probably, but it's not really that unexplainable in my opinion
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-16, 19:56   Link #94
Tak

Quote:
What? He shot her because he liked her? Now, ladies and gentlemen, that's class.
Heh, that reminded me of Sky Crawlers...

- Tak

Old 2009-08-16, 21:02   Link #95
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

hmmmm I wouldn't mind more Valkyria special episodes

Lot's of fanservice lol
Old 2009-08-16, 21:35   Link #96
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

About the DVD special... poor Selvaria...

Old 2009-08-16, 22:30   Link #97
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

Quote:
About the DVD special... poor Selvaria...
She's one of the characters thatI hope stays alive at the end... yeah she was left all alone
Old 2009-08-16, 22:34   Link #98
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Heh, that reminded me of Sky Crawlers...

- Tak
Now that was a movie that made you think. The ending was a tad unsettling, but expected.
Old 2009-08-16, 23:00   Link #99
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Oh I am responding to the general criticism about the series...Sometimes it's the first impression that got into ppl's minds...I was in similar situation before, I could hardly accept those novel-turned-into-drama or novel-turned-into-movie...Every time when something goes differently, I immediately think the novel is better, provided that I read the novel before those dramas or movies

about Faldio, like I said, I don't know what kind of book he is reading, and i think he was going so close to be insane at that moment...so you can't really predict the next step from a guy in abnormal state..so does the scene feel rush, probably, but it's not really that unexplainable in my opinion
I guess we were all patient enough to see how they would adapt the material into anime. But after 20 episodes, I don't think there is enough for M. Yokote to redeem himself from the mess he left after taking so many liberties going against the essence of the original game. If you read what I wrote earlier today, you'll know why I am particularly disappointed with this screenwriter as well as why I am not optimistic about how this will end.

As Tak wrote earlier, this is supposed to be depicting war involving young adults with the maturity/rationality that goes with it rather than characters looking like "high school rejects" (to quote him). I don't know what was the purpose of drastically changing characters, but all I know so far is this: leaving the game's screenwriter out of the picture opened the door to changes which led to the overall mess we are in right now. Yokote lost of sight the essence and most important themes of the original story anyway.

If Faldio is so mad about losing his squad, why not depict him going into a killing frenzy of Imperial soldiers (cutting throats and scalping their heads if he has to) if that can vent his frustration somewhere else? At least, keep the irrational part for the enemy . Meanwhile, shooting Alicia could have been done with required rationality and from a mile out as it originally was.
Old 2009-08-17, 02:02   Link #100
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Now that was a movie that made you think. The ending was a tad unsettling, but expected.
Slightly off topic, watch Moon. At least it didn't have weird Oshii-isms.
Closed Thread