AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-01, 01:26   Link #1
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

Send a message via AIM to Zeffer Send a message via Yahoo to Zeffer
Looking for something serious and dark.

I'm looking for an anime that, like the thread title says, is serious and dark. I just finished GunGrave and loved it, its the first anime series since Berserk and The 12 Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki(sp?)) that I haven't had any complaints about. I should point out that my biggest probelm when it comes to anime is I HATE comic relief, it literally ruins the show for me. An example of this is TriGun, I thought it was good, but the comical parts of it made me lose interest in it. More example of what I like are things like Hoshi No Koe(sp?), Kite, the Kenshin OVAs and Tsukihime.

(If it's licensed or not doesn't matter to me.)

Thanks in advanced.
Old 2004-05-01, 01:56   Link #2
delta9

Gilgamesh is serious and dark, the animation is a bit different but it's a great series. Also try hundred stories, it's dark and it's rocks. There's a lot more but I can't think of them right now.
Old 2004-05-01, 02:51   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Something dark and serious try:

- Gantz - action, sci fi and mystery anime. Very violent anime, and some mature theme.
- Monster - sci fi, horror and mystery anime. It's really deep and dark show. I really recomend this one. ^^
Old 2004-05-01, 03:29   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

Now and Then, Here and There. One of the most evil things I've ever seen. Quite depressing. An insane dictator and his crimes against humanity. Not far from reality, unfortunatly.

Narutaru. One of my favorites. The evil side of human nature with no consequenses, in the hands of kids.
Old 2004-05-01, 05:45   Link #5
7thMethuselah

Gilgamesh
Avenger
Hundred Stories
Wolf's Rain
Old 2004-05-01, 06:03   Link #6
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Narutaru (Fansubs) - is definitly a dark series, it shows human nature at its worst.

Serial Experiments: lain (licensed) - probably heard of this one but it fits uder what you want to see, dark and pretty weird

Mermaids Forest (fansubs) - This series is based on humanities greed for eternal life and power, the characters are well thoughtout and the story is clever.

St Luminous mission highschool (Fansubbed) - often referred too as Lain light it holds the same suspense and atomaspere as lain but the story is unique in its own ways.

Witch Hunter Robin (Licensed) - Special people with the gift hunt others with the gift as they're job, but dark and inhumane secrets about the caputured "witches" are revealed as the story unfolds. and the main character finds herself the hunted.
Old 2004-05-01, 07:33   Link #7
Palani
///_^

Have to support Monster (on Fansub 1-3 and counting). It is quite realistic and has a very dark atmosphere surrounding it.
Old 2004-05-01, 14:35   Link #8
Dreamer

I would say : Texhnolyze

Its quite dark,and well i found it interesting
Old 2004-05-01, 17:44   Link #9
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

First off, thanks for the suggestions.

- I seen the first ep to Monster a while back and threw it out, it looked like a Black Jack rip off, but I'll watch a few more eps and see how it goes.

- As for "Now and Then, Here and There" I've seen it and agree, its great.

- Lain was okay, I still need to finish it. (I think I'll start on that.)

- I started DLing the first few eps of Mermaids Forest. (Also Rumic Theater.)

- "Witch Hunter Robin" I've heard the name a few times but never gave it much thought, I thought it was just a magic kid series. But now that I've looked it up... boy was I wrong.

- I saw the first ep of Texhnolyze, and thought it would be a good series, but lost track of it, I'll try to pick it back up.

Thanks again for all the help, I didn't see one bad suggestion (The ones I didn't comment on looked good as well). Guess I'm going to be set for a while now.
Old 2004-05-01, 18:54   Link #10
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Glad to be of some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffer
First off, thanks for the suggestions.

- I started DLing the first few eps of Mermaids Forest. (Also Rumic Theater.)

Rumic theatre and mermaids forest I thought would be intertwined some way (I have yet to watch Rumic theatre S-1) but from what I read its not, it seems Rumic Theatre is a series of standalone stories with different characters and stories each episode. unlike Rumic Theatre S-2 (mermaids Forest) which is 11 episodes following the same story and characters. Its made by Takahashi Rumiko (Inu-Yasha, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku) but Mermaids forest is darker than her other works. I didn't think animenfo had details on Rumic Theatre s-1 but its just a different name here you go http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1...world_tv_.html

Cheers
Rob
Old 2004-05-01, 18:58   Link #11
harudasakurada

Send a message via AIM to harudasakurada
Boogiepop Phantom
Paranoia Agent
Old 2004-05-01, 20:25   Link #12
Zeffer
The Tragic Hero

Thanks for the info on Rumic. The only reason I was getting that thought was because it was part of a batch torrent that with the last few eps of Rumic and the first two eps of Mermaid Forest.
Old 2004-05-02, 00:43   Link #13
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Paranoia Agent
Gantz
Closed Thread