AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 13:09   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Hunter x Hunter - Weekly Episode Comparison of the 1999 and 2011 Anime Series

The purpose of this special thread is to allow for viewers of both the 1999 and 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime series to compare the way the plot was presented in these two adaptations of the manga. By creating this thread, it is our hope that such comparisons will no longer occur in the other Hunter x Hunter threads.

Rules
  1. Do NOT discuss any manga content beyond what has been presented in the 2011 anime adaptation, even behind spoiler tags. (If you want to discuss future material, please go to the Manga thread.)

2. Do USE properly-labelled spoiler tags for any manga comparisons about content already shown in the 2011 anime (or anything the 2011 anime clearly skipped -- again, no future content).

3. Comparisons between the two anime series themselves do not require spoiler tags, remembering again that you can only discuss things up to what was shown in the 2011 anime.

4. Do NOT use this thread to discuss anything that is better placed in one of the other relevant Hunter x Hunter threads (see below).

Other Relevant Threads
Old 2012-09-21, 13:25   Link #2
Gooral
Banned

About Kurapika being depicted as a female in the old version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Spoiler for Why do I keep saying Kurapika is a girl in Nippon's adaptation:
"Hungry [man] has bread/steak on his mind." This expression suits you very well. You obviously want "old" Kurapica to be a female.

Quote:
Episode 07: Look at this pictures. Are you telling me these are not breasts and his shirt "happened" to look like this?!
Give me another example of his "breasts". Otherwise, yes, it only happened to be like this and it's insignificant when you compare it to the number of times where there is no shadow and he looks completely flat.

And hey, look what I've found:

The curve on his shirt must mean he has big breasts, right?

Quote:
Episode 18: What's the deal with "his" reaction of seeing naked Leoreo?! Even he thought Kurapika's behavior was suspicious!
Don't know about you but I don't like to look at naked men either.

Quote:
Episode 32: What's the deal of this pose?! Guess who else I saw doing this...
I can guess:

Your comparison to Sakura is like comparing apples and oranges. Or not even that. And surprise, surprise, Kurapica had no problems with sitting with his legs spread later.

Quote:
Episode 45: Need to remind you about the chain bondage scene?! Just give it watch to know what's the deal.
And what is the deal? Because what I see is that Kurapica has been shown in his natural state were there were no foreign objects on him (the chain was something he created, a part of his body).

Anyway, can the above examples be interpreted as you've interpreted them? Sure. Can they be interpreted the way I've interpreted them? Sure. Which only shows that creators of the old anime did a perfect job since Kurapica's gender hasn't been confirmed in the manga to this day. But unless stated explicitly otherwise Kurapica is a normal guy. And there is not even a hint of faggotry in his scenes, not even close. Contrary to the new anime and the infamous Hunterpedia episode where Killua kisses Gon. Or even worse: http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...k/schwing2.jpg </throwing up>. For that reason alone old anime >> new anime.

Edit:
While taking screenshots I've remembered about two other things that really annoyed me. The scene of opening the gate in which Madhouse has completely messed up (but hey, at least we got the boring background of Canary ) and when Leorio's arm-wrestle scene was cut out.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 18:37   Link #3
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Some of us just feel like the 1999 adaptation's Kurapica was too girly, even considering the source. It's greatly exaggerated, and we don't like it. Just deal with it.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 20:51   Link #4
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Spoiler for Why do I keep saying Kurapika is a girl in Nippon's adaptation:
I agree with you. Those look like boobs to me.

Now in the 2011 version, Kurapika looks male to me.
Old 2012-09-21, 21:45   Link #5
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I agree with you. Those look like boobs to me.

Now in the 2011 version, Kurapika looks male to me.
Yup, those look like boobs, but I never give it a thought, that he was a female at all.
Old 2012-09-21, 21:49   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I've always thought Kurapika was a girl because of the same scenes back then...

Fujoshis would have been pissed off if Kurapika was really a girl.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 13:15   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I watched the original series so long ago and in a completely different place in my life that I have forgotten quite a bit. Looking at these screenshots though, it is coming back to me quickly. I recall this being one of those indefinable shows that was marketed as shounen but appealed to a wider audience. At first I wanted a sequel, but now I'm kind of happy to have this reboot and get a refresher. It's a quiet day for once so maybe I'll watch a few episodes in a row.

How has everyone liked it in comparison to the old show? I've read people that claim the reboot was meant to be closer to the manga. Has that held true thus far? Looking at crunchyroll, quite a few episodes have already been released, which is nice.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 13:58   Link #8
SHINOBI-03

((So they made a separate thread))

First, I'd like to apologize to you all. I was too biased with my latest comparison and I'm sorry if I offended any of you. I went back and re-edited the offensive parts.

I'm not taking back what I think of Kurapika, but next time I'll watch my tone and be and I'll keep my opinion to myself when I compare.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 14:27   Link #9
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
How has everyone liked it in comparison to the old show?
I can't speak for everyone due to how opinions differ on these two show, but as a long time huge fan of the '99 series, I am quite pleased with the remake so far, and I dare say that I'm in love with it at this point as much as I'm in love with the manga and older series.

There areas where I think that the '99 series was better, like the soundtrack and some of it's visual aspects e.g backgrounds, lighting and some of the fights in the Hunter exam such as the Hanzo/Gon fights (though that doesn't mean that the new series lacks in either of these aspects, the OST here is very good and if anything I think this show is overall better looking than the '99 series), and area's where the remake just takes the material and then injects it with undiluted awesome, particularly key fights and moments after the Hunter exam. Also, as I mentioned before, the new show is overall better looking due to how consistent the artwork and animation is, as well as the character designs looking more lively and the brighter colour plate (on the filp side, it also means that for some pretty long stretches, the show doesn't really display much fantastic animation, though that changes once the Gon/Hisoka fight starts).

If you are a fan of the '99 series, I recommend giving this one a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I've read people that claim the reboot was meant to be closer to the manga. Has that held true thus far?
Yes, thus far it had been pretty faithful to the manga, with a few minor changes here and there.
Old 2012-09-22, 19:19   Link #10
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Ya even though I was complaining some about last weeks episode in comparison to 99', I would still say over-all this has been a great reboot. I think the way they did the Hisoka vs. Gon fight in the "Battle-tower" was done better this time around for example.
Old 2012-09-23, 11:34   Link #11
ditn

thanks for making a thread for this
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 15:09   Link #12
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 48-

Spoiler for Part 1:

Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:50   Link #13
Arkeus

Yeah, this episode rushed a lot of good scenes.

Really disappointed there.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 03:11   Link #14
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Yeah, this episode rushed a lot of good scenes.

Really disappointed there.
Indeed. HxH didn't really need a remake. It feels heavily toned down.
Drkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:46   Link #15
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Indeed. HxH didn't really need a remake. It feels heavily toned down.
Nah, it needed a remake- the original anime was crap and destroyed most characters.

This episode, however, was really bad.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:50   Link #16
Regaldo

HxH needed a remake big time. The 1999 anime wasn't as faithful. Also this a re-make of the manga...The current episode did its job, now on to the next.
Regaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 17:15   Link #17
Miraluka
Banned

So its that transitory part in the anime?
No problem, never was interested on it when the Spider was on the spotlight.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 09:25   Link #18
Ishe

While I didn't really like how episode 48 was so abbreviated, at least the statue part made more sense than in the 1999 anime. The statue scene in the 1999 anime always confused me.

Spoiler for 1999 Anime:
Ishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 11:37   Link #19
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishe View Post
But those claims were pretty pointless when he could have just brought up the point that no one saw them open the statue, so no one knows if the gems came from it in the first place.
lol
It was irrelevant whether this treasure would come from the wooden statue or not, you still wouldn't be any more sure that it was the real thing. It was beyond the point. If they could show that the gems were real then they would sell it for a high price. The problem was that they had no proof. They would need a microscope for that or some third party expert to verify it's authenticity.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 00:39   Link #20
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think animation wise, 1999 was just better, not to mention the type of music used. Esp at the part where Killua tried to escape Phinks. In 2011, the music they used was the same one they used for Gon/Hisoka's fight, which didn't really fit the Phinks/Killua scene like it did for Gon/Hisoka. The execution of the chase was better in 1999 too, though I did like how they showed different cuts where Gon/Killua was hiding in 2011 verson.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote