AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-07-28, 02:54   Link #1261
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Something I think needs to happen with the Wii U is regulation of third-party material. The Wii's library lost so much appeal when budget games were being pumped out for the console like clockwork. If you check the bargain bins at WalMart or any gaming store, you'll find a load of ridiculous games that aren't even worth looking at.

Other consoles suffer this same fate and it is impossible to eliminate budget titles entirely, but once again, regulation may be what saves the next Nintendo console.
Hmm mmh, it is a tricky thing. IIRC some of the blockbuster titles like Assassin's Creed were only possible because other ubisoft shovelware titles were doing great in the past, ps2, wii and DS games mostly. At the moment shovelwares are funding blockbuster games for most third party devs/publishers. But in this gen it was not balanced, wii shovelware were actually funding PS360/PC titles, don't now if you can be angry about it, but that is just the way it was/is.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 21:37   Link #1262
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I, for one, really like Virtual Console. Final Fantasy III US (FF VI) hit NA VC recently, btw, for anyone who cares.
Old 2011-07-29, 21:49   Link #1263
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Virtual Console's good and all; I just prefer having the original games. Since I have the original consoles, why not?
Old 2011-07-30, 00:37   Link #1264
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Lots of consoles equal lots of switching systems in the TV set up you have. I wish I had a bunch of old systems, though, and plenty of games to go with them. But then again, I already have more than enough games to play. I can't keep up with them all. I recently bought FF XIII, but now I'm much more interested in replaying FF 6. I haven't played through it since the 90s. And it is in my top ten for games! At least I think so. I never made a top ten list for games, but FF 6 is up there.
Old 2011-07-30, 14:08   Link #1265
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

The problem with the Wii was that barely anyone bought non-shovelware. People kept complaining how there was nothing worth buying, but games that were worth buying didn't get bought, not even by them (or so it seems).

In the end, developers and publishers who wanted to make non-shovelware got burned, and turned their attention to the Xbox 360 and the PS3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Lots of consoles equal lots of switching systems in the TV set up you have.
Or you can just emulate them all on one box. I don't think it's fair to have us pay for the same games again to be able to play them on the Wii.
Old 2011-07-31, 03:05   Link #1266
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Or you can just emulate them all on one box. I don't think it's fair to have us pay for the same games again to be able to play them on the Wii.
Why not? PSX games sell on PSN. Doom and Wolfenstien sell on XBLA. I use emulation too, but I'll support companies on some of my favorite games from the past. Yesterday I bought Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI) and Chrono Trigger for SNES off of VC, and was happy to pay for such quality games.
Old 2011-07-31, 03:09   Link #1267
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Emulation just isn't the same either. I personally hate the feeling of using a Wii remote/Classic Controller or a gamepad/keyboard instead of the original controllers. Also, emulation removes all the flickering, improves sound quality, and cleans up all the blocky graphics. It IS an improvement and not a bad one either, but for me it ruins the charm that the original games had.
Old 2011-07-31, 03:35   Link #1268
Sides

The only problem i have with original consoles is, they look bad on LCD screens without an external scaler like XRGB3/2+. That is the only reason i still keep a crt tv at home, for the old consoles.
I'm not sure how VC upscales the games, but i reckon it might look better than hooking up your retro console onto an LCD.
Old 2011-07-31, 03:41   Link #1269
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

VC games seem to take that into consideration- the few that I bought with a card I received for my birthday played quite well.

Oh, and like you said, I have a CRT TV in my house with a three-way adapter lead that connects all three coaxial inputs for the retro consoles I keep in this apartment. The mighty LCD TV also means I can't have friends over playing Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman.
Old 2011-07-31, 04:20   Link #1270
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

They should put Duck Hunt on VC with Wii pointer controls. And that game where you shoot clay discs (I don't know if it came with every version of Duck Hunt).
Old 2011-07-31, 04:29   Link #1271
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I like the idea, but it wouldn't work as well. Even with MotionPlus, the Wii uses accelerometer and optical sensor technology while the Zapper used light detection. I'm going to point to the Wii Zapper and Link's Crossbow Training here as an example. The thing is, you're either going to have a honking big crosshair at all time on your screen, or you're going to have to hope the Wii Zapper is pointing directly at the right location.

The original Zapper malfunctioned a lot, but it was efficient and quick. The sight on the gun was quite accurate.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:34   Link #1272
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Good points. Duck hunt wouldn't be the same with a cross hair, not in the original; maybe in a WiiWare remake. And it'd be hard to code that in for a NES game. Nintendo should make a Duck Hunt WiiWare game. That would work better. The new Excite Bike game for WiiWare worked out well, afterall.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:57   Link #1273
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

That could work. I haven't heard of the ExciteBike Wii version though- shows how much I know about the console's lineup after Brawl.
Old 2011-07-31, 19:38   Link #1274
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
That could work. I haven't heard of the ExciteBike Wii version though- shows how much I know about the console's lineup after Brawl.
It is a WiiWare title. It doesn't have the charm of the original, but it is solid.
Old 2011-08-17, 04:37   Link #1275
Sides

Nintendo 2011/12 lineup

NoE just released some new info on their 2011/12 line up, read more on nintendo.co.uk. There is a PDF listing all games for autumn/winter 2011 at teh bottom of that page, it goes into 2012, because winter goes into the next year..

Small excerpt for JRPG fans
Quote:
Those who are anticipating the impending launch of Xenoblade Chronicles, the action-packed role playing game (RPG) exclusive to Wii launching on 19th August, will soon get to experience two new RPGs exclusively for Wii, as The Last Story and Pandora’s Tower will both be making their European debut on Wii in 2012.
Quote:
Wii – autumn/ winter 2011 Release Date

18- Aug WiiWare - Flight Control (Firemint)
19- Aug Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo)
01- Sep Driver San Francisco (UBISOFT)
09- Sep Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident (Nintendo)
15- Sep Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension (Disney Interactive Studios)
16- Sep Nintendo Selects The Legend of Zelda™: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
16- Sep Nintendo Selects Super Mario Galaxy™ (Nintendo)
XX- Sep WiiWare - escapeVektor™: Chapter 1 (Nnooo)
XX- Sep X-Men Destiny (Activision)
11- Oct Just Dance 3 (UBISOFT)
14- Oct Skylanders Spyro's Adventure (Activision)
20- Oct The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (UBISOFT)
27- Oct Disney Universe (Disney Interactive Studios)
XX- Oct Spider-Man: Edge of Time (Activision)
15- Nov Need for Speed The Run (Electronic Arts)
18- Nov Family Trainer Magical Carnival (NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S.)
18- Nov The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword (Nintendo)
XX- Nov PES 2012 (KONAMI)
XX- Nov Rayman Origins (UBISOFT)
XX- Nov Power Rangers Samurai (NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S.)
XX- Nov Happy Feet 2 (Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)
XX- Dec Kirby’s Adventure Wii (Nintendo)
Autumn Go Vacation (Namco Bandai / Nintendo)
____Q4 White Wii** with Wii Party™ & Wii Sports™ (Nintendo)
____Q4 Ben 10 Galactic Racing (NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S.)
____Q4 Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 (Activision)
____Q4 WiiWare – MotoHeroz (Redlynx)
____Q4 WiiWare – La-Mulana (Nicalis)
Coming to Europe in 2012 The Last Story™ (Nintendo)
Coming to Europe in 2012 Pandora’s Tower™ (Nintendo)
Some other Wii news, a budget version of the Wii will be released around christmas. It will not have GC BC, as the ports are cut from the budget model.
Quote:
Those looking for the perfect present for all the family this Christmas can look no further than the new value Wii bundle. It not only offers great value to European fans, but introduces a streamlined Wii console with a slightly altered configuration*, which is designed to sit horizontally, rather than vertically. The bundle includes the newly configured Wii console in white, a Wii Remote Plus controller, Nunchuk, and copies of Wii Sports and Wii Party. A number of other Wii bundles will be announced this autumn, all offering great value for the family this Christmas.

*Please note that the new configuration Wii is no longer compatible with Nintendo GameCube software or accessories.
Old 2011-09-19, 09:08   Link #1276
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Dude, there are twist and turn regarding the story. The game starts out that a pack of friends head out to seek revenge,
Spoiler:

I don't think any jrpg this gen can rival this game, not because it is impossible, but largely because of financial costs and development time. I honestly don't think this type of game was possible, if monolith soft was not backed by someone like nintendo. Being a first party devs does have its advantages, see the studios owned by sony and nintendo, focus on making good games and not distracted by the crap is going on, especially opinions and shit-talk by fanboys, videogames analysts and journalists.
Is the game worth the £30? Hell yeah. Do i want a sequel of some sort? Yeap, but not in the next few years. One big game every gen is enough for me.

It's certainly a great game but to say it's would be hard to match due to cost and time seems a bit too much. I personally think the main FF still has better production, graphic, artistic design, and story though you can argue about the gameplay. But personally, I welcomes the new stuffs they tend to try in every new FF as loong as not all JRPG ends up like those.

Another would be Ni no Kuni for PS3. The game is develops joinly with DS counterpart and had different graphics, gameplays, and even story element. Super-charged by Studio Ghibli's artistic design and storytelling ability. The PS3 trailer shown in TGS was amazing to see and the animated cut scene is typical Ghibli quality as well.

And it's announce to States, really I 'm getting tired of Nintendo of America keep shoving U.S. owners around. If they are not will to bring their own games to U.S. and support their own systme. What makes they think the 3rd parties will fo the same.

I mean. the fact that Namco-Bandai is welling bringing Tale of Grace F to U.S. on PS3 early next year but not the Wii version should show Nintendo of America something....

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-09-19 at 09:27.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 14:35   Link #1277
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
It's certainly a great game but to say it's would be hard to match due to cost and time seems a bit too much. I personally think the main FF still has better production, graphic, artistic design, and story though you can argue about the gameplay. But personally, I welcomes the new stuffs they tend to try in every new FF as loong as not all JRPG ends up like those.

Another would be Ni no Kuni for PS3. The game is develops joinly with DS counterpart and had different graphics, gameplays, and even story element. Super-charged by Studio Ghibli's artistic design and storytelling ability. The PS3 trailer shown in TGS was amazing to see and the animated cut scene is typical Ghibli quality as well.
I am talking about the change of the gen an the increase of development cost. Games produced for PC/360/PS3 are much higher than on previous gen and wii. FF13 was in development for at least 4 years and has a massive financial backing, Ni no Kuni is back by two studios, if you like. Monolith soft has around 70-80 staff and I honestly don think they are as big as SE or Level-5. If they were still a independent developer, i honestly don't think they could have done a game this scale, without probably going bankrupt half way through. FF13 sold massively (over 7million?), xenoblade probably just managed around 250000 worldwide, so yeah it would have been bad move to do something like that, without someone watching your back.
As for tales studio, same issue, they have been making red numbers since the start of this gen, without NB they would be gone probably after the release of ToG (Wii). So yeah, jrpg can be a risky business in the current climate.
Old 2011-09-19, 15:58   Link #1278
Undertaker

Alright, in that case I simply mistaken your post. I thought you were saying that there are not likely another JRPG with production value similar to Xenobladde.

I'll agree that it'll be hard for Monolith to produce another game similar to Xenoblade but that's on Nintendo rather than the landscape of JRPG gaming.

I still don't think that the JRPG are as risky as you say. I mean they are not more risky than say a FPS games or any other genre. Not all games have to sell a million to make money. If you are talking about independent developers, Falcom and Nippon Ichi would be better examples, both specialize in JRPG, neither have, say million seller, but both companies are doing fine.

The simple fact that Squre-Enix and Atlus are still stands strong and even H-games and Galge developers are still around shows that JRPG as whole is doing fine considering the economics. The problem here lies that on the marketing and decision of the parent company.

In Tales Studio's case, they are in red primarily because of the bad decision Namco made to release Vesperia on 360. You might as well develop for Virtural Boy and you get better sale from it. (In Japan anyway) Vesperia's sale in other territory is not bad, unfortunately not enough to make up their home territory. Then they follow that decision by releasing Grace on Wii.

Now, nothing against Wii, I own one as well, but who would have know that the console with the biggest market share of this gen would be such a bad software seller or that Nintendo would be such an ass that other then their own first party games, no third party would thrive on it.

Really, the success of Grace F on PS3 (double the sale on Wii) and newest Xillia (highest opening selling for Tales) shows that the market is still there, they just need to do better job identifying it. The fact that Namco still popping all those SRW games on PS3 and PSP shows that RPG market are still there they picked the wrong system.

Not to mention Xillia is another high production RPG that Namco is combine both Tales team to work on it even to the point that both Kosuke Fujishima and Mutsumi Inomata, the two primary character designer of the series, each famous in their own right, (and I'm sure expansive) ware working together as well. That there show that Japanese company are still sinking big money in JRPG and the market still warrants it. This along disapprove your theory on JRPG market in Japan.

The sales for Xenoblade really is more telling that Nintendo screwed up their marketing on Wii more than anything (as they admitted themselves in E3). I mean, is their any reason for them not to bring it over to U.S. when there is already the an English version available? Extra port cost? They brought that themselves with their Region Lock.

The fact still remains that Namco Bandai is welling to port a Tales game to U.S. on PS3 yet refuse to do the same for the same game on Wii shows how all this is more Nintendo's own fault than anything..

I mean if you see some of the article on game sell, it shocking how bad a job Wii is doing on on software sales.

According to an article on IGN on Sony's sale release during TGS. Sony shows that they own 43% of software sales for the past year (between last year and this year's TGS). If that's true and given how 360 dominates in U.S. in software and Nintendo's first party sales, you gotta wonder what the heck Nintendo was doing for the 3rd party developer trying to release games on their platform....
Old 2011-09-19, 17:17   Link #1279
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
The simple fact that Squre-Enix and Atlus are still stands strong and even H-games and Galge developers are still around shows that JRPG as whole is doing fine considering the economics.
What do H-games and Galge have t' do with JRPGs?
Quote:
you gotta wonder what the heck Nintendo was doing for the 3rd party developer trying to release games on their platform....
Everyone keeps blamin' Nintendo for poor third-party sales. Why? Isn't it t' publisher's job t' market their own game? What does Nintendo have t' do with it?
Old 2011-09-19, 18:34   Link #1280
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Now, nothing against Wii, I own one as well, but who would have know that the console with the biggest market share of this gen would be such a bad software seller or that Nintendo would be such an ass that other then their own first party games, no third party would thrive on it.

The sales for Xenoblade really is more telling that Nintendo screwed up their marketing on Wii more than anything (as they admitted themselves in E3). I mean, is their any reason for them not to bring it over to U.S. when there is already the an English version available? Extra port cost? They brought that themselves with their Region Lock.

Sony shows that they own 43% of software sales for the past year (between last year and this year's TGS). If that's true and given how 360 dominates in U.S. in software and Nintendo's first party sales, you gotta wonder what the heck Nintendo was doing for the 3rd party developer trying to release games on their platform....
Best way to keep people off from saying "******** Fanboy" = I have the system too!
And...?

And like Benoit said, why is it all Nintendo's fault? Why is it an ass?
Did Nintendo hide the existence of every video game made by third parties from the world? Do they have to advertise beyond informing people on their website for the 3rd-parties? The only one to blame is the third party. Trying to force all the responsibility on someone else is absurd.
And if you think they didn't do anything for 3rd parties, the president even went out of his way to appear at the Last Story conference before the game was released.
So yeah, they did something. And I hear it was a success sales-wise.
There are a good number of 3rd-party games that sold millions. You'll have to refer to their conferences to read about it though. Or wait for the next one, which should happen soon, for the update.

As for the sales, if the game made a profit, then that makes it a success.
And as for why they don't bring it to America, who knows? Ask NoA.

Oh yes, for the last year. And I hear that the PSP was the best selling system!
For last year!
Anything can sound good when you limit stuff.
I mean, I'm the smartest person in the world that goes on Animesuki with the username "serenade_beta".

Quote:
The simple fact that Squre-Enix and Atlus are still stands strong and even H-games and Galge developers are still around shows that JRPG as whole is doing fine considering the economics.
The eroge industry is very, VERY seperate. That industry goes by different rules and has a lot smaller, limited consumer base. Not something to compare to.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, wii