AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 20:34   Link #441
Icehawk

I experimented with smoking for a bit way back in highschool, I never got physically addicted and was only really doing it for the "social" aspect (IE, because I thought it looked and felt "cool" and I just wanted to finally see what it was actually like) I quit very easily after going through several packs over the course of 11th grade. It was interesting because, the longer I was doing them, the WORSE I thought of them and it finally got to the point where I really couldnt stand the taste or smell of them anymore and they never really did anything for me anyways except give a light buzz for the first few inhales after lighting up. It was also like I was nearly immune to the nicotine because I honestly never had any "cravings" to go back to them after I finally called it quits.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 20:38   Link #442
LeoXiao
思想工作

Smoking is a shitty pastime. It's bad for you, it makes the air smell like shit, and not to mention it's bad for the environment and the growing of tobacco takes up space that could go to feeding people who are starving. Nicotine is worse than pot even, at least pot is not technically addictive.

I myself would not smoke unless someone forced me to. When I walk by someone who's smoking, I just stop breathing for awhile. However, sometimes they blow the smoke right into you and it stays on your clothes. It would be okay if what was being burned was something nice like incense, but no, when cigarettes burn they smell like shit.

Quote:
I have no regrets about the way my life has gone. If I die young, I'll still be happy with the life I lived.
What if you have kids? Do you want them to have a parent who will die early? Just think about it for a moment.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 20:49   Link #443
Icehawk

I've actually been trying to convince some friends who are diehard smokers who arent likely to quit to atleast try THIS OUT.

With this, you get your nicotine fix and also the pleasure of inhaling and breathing out "smoke" and having something to fiddle with in your hands just like any other cigarette, but you arent ACTUALLY smoking. The smoke-like vapors are completely harmless and non-toxic. The cartridges come in different strengths and flavors and there are even nicotine free cartridges. Each cartridge will supposedly on average last as long as it takes to get through a standard pack of cigarettes.
Old 2009-03-26, 21:00   Link #444
t3htr0LL
Banned

Nicotine is actually bad for your health, raises blood pressure and smoking in general causes more plague build up in the arteries.
t3htr0LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 21:06   Link #445
Icehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3htr0LL View Post
Nicotine is actually bad for your health, raises blood pressure and smoking in general causes more plague build up in the arteries.
True, nicotine can have it's own negative effects if abused like any substance, but atleast they no longer have to worry about the lung cancer or emphazima and the other main respiratory health risks which are by far, the primary killers. If every smoker would convert over to these, you'd have a HUGE strain lifted from the hospitals and health industry and would also overall save many thousands more lives each year.
Old 2009-03-26, 21:27   Link #446
Desiree Disaster
Keiichi Fangirl ♥

I'm fifteen and live with my family still and they ALL smoke. I've spent the past fourteen years of my life inhaling second-hand smoke and I'm sure my mother smoked when I was still in the womb.

Thanks to their inconsideration, I'm now prone to inner-ear infections, have asthma and am constantly coughing and wheezing like an eighty-year old.

All my clothes smell of smoke and my school was even concerned that I was the one doing the smoking and contacted them. It's only been since then that they have decided to smoke outside, away from me. Thank fucking God, I say.

While I don't hate smokers, I'm sure you can understand why my feelings against smoking are strong. It's already killed three of my family members. It's just horrible. -_-
Desiree Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 00:50   Link #447
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Some people just realize the negative effects of smoking at a later time and by the time they know it, its too late.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 03:22   Link #448
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Guess I can count myself among the lucky ones. Nobody in my home smokes and nobody seems tempted to start doing it anytime soon.

I once tried to smoke one just to see what it tasted like, and though the thing to be outright horrendous. My only serious exposure to second hand smoke is when I hang out with my friends, but they are sometimes considerate enough to not do it when we are in a closed area.
Old 2009-03-27, 03:40   Link #449
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Nobody smokes in my family either (well, my aunt did but stopped early luckily) and I can say I am not very good around smoke overall, albeit I bet no one is. I'm not allergic, but I seem to be very sensitive to it, coughing or similar like crazy.
I never even had the nerve to try one, just looks...wasting and expensive, excluding gross. I don't see the "attraction" in it.

Some of my friends do smoke, but they always do it outside. Although, they do complain about not having enough money to buy food once in a while...

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 03:44   Link #450
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Some of my friends do smoke, but they always do it outside. Although, they do complain about not having enough money to buy food once in a while...
This reminds me about an old job I once had, where people were not allowed to smoke inside the office. Come break time, all smokers would rush outside just to have a quick smoke..... even if that meant skipping lunch alltogether. >_<
Old 2009-03-27, 03:47   Link #451
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^ Since our lunch HOUR at uni is quite long, they don't miss it, but they do spend a lot of time out there

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 04:00   Link #452
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
^ Since our lunch HOUR at uni is quite long, they don't miss it, but they do spend a lot of time out there
We had an hour too, but it still wasn't enough time for people that wanted to eat somewhere a bit far or people that just wasted the whole hour smoking and chatting.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-03-27 at 06:27.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 06:24   Link #453
KimmyChan

I tried a puff on my first ever cigarette when I was 15, and have never wanted to smoke since >.<
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 21:57   Link #454
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
What if you have kids? Do you want them to have a parent who will die early? Just think about it for a moment.
I don't plan on having kids. Neither my girlfriend, nor myself, are interested in continuing the overpopulation of the planet. Personal preference again but, VHEM for the win.

I stand by my statement. I've enjoyed my life, and I will continue to enjoy my life. If I die young, I'll have no regrets about the life I've lived.
Old 2009-03-27, 22:32   Link #455
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Meanwhile, the world rolls on.

As stated before, I do have the weird desire to breathe in smoke from time to time. I guess that's because I don't choke on it.
Old 2009-03-28, 01:06   Link #456
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
I don't plan on having kids. Neither my girlfriend, nor myself, are interested in continuing the overpopulation of the planet. Personal preference again but, VHEM for the win.

I stand by my statement. I've enjoyed my life, and I will continue to enjoy my life. If I die young, I'll have no regrets about the life I've lived.
Ah, a hedonist. I guess the world always has some room for them , provided there aren't too many.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 07:34   Link #457
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
Some people just realize the negative effects of smoking at a later time and by the time they know it, its too late.
And there are those that realize the negative effect long ago but just couldn't resist the temptation such as I.

Happily paying the price of smoking but sometimes, i wish i were not.
Old 2009-03-28, 08:50   Link #458
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
My dad used to smoke cigars everyday until at some point he started losing his voice, he went to the doctor who told him he had to stop smoking ASAP because his vocal glands or whatever they're called started rotting away because of the smoke.

As for myself, I smoke once every month but then not cigarettes =P a joint is the only thing I'm inhaling. If smoking doesn't kill you something else will, just look at all the chemicals that's stuffed in food or fumes from traffic, if it isn't lung cancer then it will be something else. I enjoy doing what I do and I don't do it too much and otherwise at the end of my life I will certainly regret not trying it. I still don't see how people get dependant on smoking though, I've tried it when I was really young but stopped right after the first cig, even with joint I can't stand smoking them even twice a week.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 08:53   Link #459
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Some nice body chemistry you have there. Mind going for some blood test or scans to let science know why some people don't get addicted?
Old 2009-03-28, 10:12   Link #460
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Some nice body chemistry you have there. Mind going for some blood test or scans to let science know why some people don't get addicted?
I know about all addictiveness I'm not stupid or anything, I just find it strange that when I've smoked and I even smell the scent of it that I already detest it instead of feeling that I should smoke as well, I can resist it when I see other people smoke as well or when stress levels are high. My sister found it strange as well though she still keeps on ranting that it will happen to me one day, I don't even have tobacco in my house because I've just never had the urge to suddenly smoke something.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate