Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-16, 09:22   Link #461
ion475
にこにこにー

http://mig380.chez-alice.fr/up0/file/u1_005323.txt

Origami easily got 1st, Mao 2nd, Takatsuki Yayoi 3rd. A-tan missed by a vote.

I'll let chaosprophet do his job for the rest.

With that, Only 3 out of 12 make it. On Saki note, Maya Yukiko appear for like 5 seconds in the manga and already getting quite a number of vote (Okay, not even close to enough to qualify...). Once the true S2 start we'll see how Kuro's lost twin sister in Hokkaido will do.
Old 2013-08-16, 09:22   Link #462
chaosprophet

Results for Prelims 2 - Group 4
Spoiler for P2G4 Results:
Old 2013-08-16, 09:37   Link #463
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Damn! Tokido Saya got no love from the Japanese D:

But am damn happy that Tobiichi Origami made it! She topped the group some more!
Old 2013-08-16, 09:59   Link #464
Subayai

I'm happy that Yayoi, Nonna, Mayaka and FunaQ got in.

On the other hand, not enough love for Watanabe Saki. Such a blow but, oh well, shikata ga nai.

Also, here is a list of the 293 characters that will be in the tournament. It's in japanese of course but someone might find it useful anyway:
http://j72820.chez-alice.fr/up0/file/u2_001237.txt
Old 2013-08-16, 10:05   Link #465
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subayai View Post
I'm happy that Yayoi, Nonna, Mayaka and FunaQ got in.

On the other hand, not enough love for Watanabe Saki. Such a blow but, oh well, shikata ga nai.

Also, here is a list of the 293 characters that will be in the tournament. It's in japanese of course but someone might find it useful anyway:
http://j72820.chez-alice.fr/up0/file/u2_001237.txt
Good list. I hope Toki gets drafted into a nice group.
Old 2013-08-16, 10:09   Link #466
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Yay Regina and congrats YuruYuri and Precure breaking a record. Not surprising the results ended up being in a Precure spam instead of Saki.
Old 2013-08-16, 10:36   Link #467
iamadooddood
NOM.

And of course Origami had to prove me wrong by getting triple digit votes when I said there wouldn't be any. Well, grats to her for this, and hope she goes far enough in the tournament. Can't have the only triple digit girl for 2nd prelims fall in round 1 of the main round, can I? It'd just mean the 2nd prelim is pointless. Though that might be a good idea in and of itself...

Group 4 is evidently the least balanced of the 4 2nd prelim groups, as shown by having the widest difference in vote count between the top and bottom, with a difference of 94, as well as having the highest cutoff point at 61.

For all 4 groups (top/cutoff/bottom):

1: 84/60/12
2: 80/54/12
3: 98/51/11
4: 105/61/11

Evidently group 2 is the most balanced (or weakest?) of the 4, but group 3 is the Group of Death.

... Oh wait, forgot to count the total vote count and total number of voters. Oh well.

I shall start supporting Date A Live from here on. If I have the time to get the codes, that is. Took too many uni modules this semester. ;_;

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2013 is screwed up. Everyone's argument is invalid.
Old 2013-08-16, 18:21   Link #468
Team Rocket Elite

6-6

Spoiler for Preliminary 2-4 Results:

That's everyone. Good luck to those who qualified.
Old 2013-08-16, 20:42   Link #469
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

I've defected back over to Imageshack. They're not idiots like Photobucket.

And Behold!

Please point out any typos, errors, and whatnot.
Old 2013-08-16, 21:00   Link #470
exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post
Spoiler:
the first thing that caught my eye is the names are not in Japanese style[surname, name].
second, some anime titles are shortened some are not, if you shorten them then shorten them all, and if not then don't shorten at all, try maintaining the style. plus PMMM is hard to read.
Pretty Cure is usually written just Precure in Doki Doki and Smile.

i guess that's it, i hope i'm not too importunate.

Last edited by exec; 2013-08-16 at 21:11.
Old 2013-08-16, 21:08   Link #471
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec View Post
the first thing that caught my eye is the names are not in Japanese style[surname, name].
second, some anime titles are shortened some are not, if you shorten them then shorten them all, and if not then don't shorten at all, try maintaining the style. plus PMMM is hard to read.
Pretty Cure is usually written just Precure in Doki Doki and Smile.

i guess that's it, i hope i'm not too importunate.
All names are done in Western order to prevent confusion. Including my own.

I had to use my own judgement on how to shorten a name if an official (or unofficial) one did not exist.
Old 2013-08-17, 00:10   Link #472
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Thanks a lot for compiling that list, Aya!

Personally, I'm with you on doing names in Western order. Given names tend to be more distinctive and memorable than family names when it comes to anime characters, in my experience. Some anime characters I remember by their full names, a few I remember by their family names, and most I remember by their given names.

A few observations on this full list:

1) With Love Live! being one of my favorite anime shows of 2013, and probably the 2013 anime show I'd consider the "most moe" of all of this year, I'm very pleased to see that the entire 9-member main cast made it.

2) Do my eyes deceive me, or did Hitagi Senjougahara actually not make it? I notice one block for the Monogatari series, and Hitagi is not there. Shinobu and the Fire Sisters make it, but not Hitagi... interesting. Hanekawa being there is certainly no surprise though.

3) I'm glad to see Nanoha 2nd A's, Steins;Gate, VRO, Tari Tari, and Hanasaku Iroha well-represented.

4) I'm darkly amused by how the only major PapaKiki! girl to not make it is the one that's actually in her teens.

5) Slightly disappointed that Accel World, Rinne no Lagrange, Gargantia, and Kokoro Connect failed to quality more girls. I can think of some pretty moe, and very important, characters in each that failed to qualify. With that in mind...

6) Looking over the list of show's here, and hence some of the characters that never made the cut in spite of being eligible, it's not hard to see why Saki generates some hate. Saki is truly a wave that lifts all sails, much moreso than even Madoka Magica. Hitomi Shizuki is a more important character than some of the Saki girls here, but being a PMMM girl wasn't enough to get Hitomi in. To be fair, though, a solid majority of the Saki girls here are important characters, and hopefully the minor ones will get weeded out in the first round or 2.

7) On the whole, I'm decidedly happy with this list. Plenty of characters here that I like, and this is especially true amongst the strongest of them.
Old 2013-08-17, 02:00   Link #473
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
All names are done in Western order to prevent confusion. Including my own.

I had to use my own judgement on how to shorten a name if an official (or unofficial) one did not exist.
I don't know much about styles but I think that Japanese names should stick to their own style(Surname, Name) since although you're translating Japanese names to Romaji, they are still essentially Japanese names.

I think you should follow how chaosprophet does the translations. It's so far fine and no one is confused as well.
Old 2013-08-17, 02:05   Link #474
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
I don't know much about styles but I think that Japanese names should stick to their own style(Surname, Name) since although you're translating Japanese names to Romaji, they are still essentially Japanese names.
Come on, most of us here know these characters better by their given names.

What do you come across more in posts on the Madoka boards?:

"Kaname, Akemi, Miki, Tomoe, and Sakura"

or

"Madoka, Homura, Sayaka, Mami, and Kyouko"?

And Saki is titled Saki, not Miyanaga.

So that's the two most powerful shows in this tournament. Let's go with given names first, family names second, imo.
Old 2013-08-17, 02:11   Link #475
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Come on, most of us here know these characters better by their given names.

What do you come across more in posts on the Madoka boards?:

"Kaname, Akemi, Miki, Tomoe, and Sakura"

or

"Madoka, Homura, Sayaka, Mami, and Kyouko"?

And Saki is titled Saki, not Miyanaga.

So that's the two most powerful shows in this tournament. Let's go with given names first, family names second, imo.

Thing is Saki is titled Saki cos of the player Miyanaga Saki? If it's Miyanaga it'll be confusing since there is her sister too -_-

Besides, I don't see anyone having problems with chaosprophet translations so I think it's best to try and stick to their original styles.

Your first argument is also kinda invalid. People typed their names cos they didn't type their FULL name out. If they did it'll be family names then their names anyways.
Old 2013-08-17, 02:22   Link #476
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks a lot for compiling that list, Aya!

Personally, I'm with you on doing names in Western order. Given names tend to be more distinctive and memorable than family names when it comes to anime characters, in my experience. Some anime characters I remember by their full names, a few I remember by their family names, and most I remember by their given names.

A few observations on this full list:

1) With Love Live! being one of my favorite anime shows of 2013, and probably the 2013 anime show I'd consider the "most moe" of all of this year, I'm very pleased to see that the entire 9-member main cast made it.

2) Do my eyes deceive me, or did Hitagi Senjougahara actually not make it? I notice one block for the Monogatari series, and Hitagi is not there. Shinobu and the Fire Sisters make it, but not Hitagi... interesting. Hanekawa being there is certainly no surprise though.

3) I'm glad to see Nanoha 2nd A's, Steins;Gate, VRO, Tari Tari, and Hanasaku Iroha well-represented.

4) I'm darkly amused by how the only major PapaKiki! girl to not make it is the one that's actually in her teens.

5) Slightly disappointed that Accel World, Rinne no Lagrange, Gargantia, and Kokoro Connect failed to quality more girls. I can think of some pretty moe, and very important, characters in each that failed to qualify. With that in mind...

6) Looking over the list of show's here, and hence some of the characters that never made the cut in spite of being eligible, it's not hard to see why Saki generates some hate. Saki is truly a wave that lifts all sails, much moreso than even Madoka Magica. Hitomi Shizuki is a more important character than some of the Saki girls here, but being a PMMM girl wasn't enough to get Hitomi in. To be fair, though, a solid majority of the Saki girls here are important characters, and hopefully the minor ones will get weeded out in the first round or 2.

7) On the whole, I'm decidedly happy with this list. Plenty of characters here that I like, and this is especially true amongst the strongest of them.
Hitagi wasn't in Nekomonogatari Kuro that's why she isn't in.
Old 2013-08-17, 02:34   Link #477
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
Thing is Saki is titled Saki cos of the player Miyanaga Saki? If it's Miyanaga it'll be confusing since there is her sister too -_-
Which is another reason to go given name first, family name second - The different name comes first, thus emphasizing which Miyanaga it is.

Quote:
Your first argument is also kinda invalid.
No, it's not invalid. People type their given names because that's the name they know the character best by. On the Madoka Magica subforum here on Anime Suki, people are much more likely to use a cast member's given name over a family name. Even in the event of both names being used, the family name tends to be used first on the Madoka Magica subforum, contrary to what you're arguing.

This is the name ordering approach that most AS members are most comfortable with, from what I've seen on this board, so that's the name ordering approach that I favor for this thread as well.
Old 2013-08-17, 03:32   Link #478
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I hope Homura finally wins this year. Or Madoka
Old 2013-08-17, 05:08   Link #479
Subayai

Quote:

Please point out any typos, errors, and whatnot.
Just two typos:
Saori Takebe @ Girls und Panzer
Kurimu Sakurano @ Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2

Anyway, thanks for making this list.
Old 2013-08-17, 11:19   Link #480
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Outside of Sasano Ichigo and Suehara, all the other Saki girls are not exactly "just appear for 5 seconds" girl. And it's not like girls like Ichigo/Suehara would get past 1st round anyway (Jindai Komaki never did, and she's 1000000x more moe...)

And Hitomi...there's important girl and there's girl that no one likes. Hitomi falls in the 2nd category.

Tags
2013, anime saimoe tournament, saimoe, tournament