AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-09-12, 01:28   Link #27521
Zeydra
A random passerby

If they make a Burst Mode version and include effect parts for it to be the actual Burst Mode version then I would totally buy it.

Wouldn't bother if it's just a recolour though like the Trans-Am kits, special coating kits always picked me as more hassle than they are worth, what with all the nub marks they musty have and so on.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 03:27   Link #27522
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

As long as they don't look like the beam effects for the Freedom that was released during the HD Remaster, it'd be quite nice.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 10:56   Link #27523
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Found that via Google Looks awesome, IMO

StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 11:26   Link #27524
GameraBaenre

Speed build for me, but it's about 97% done. I still have the heat hawk to finish up, but for all intents and purposes. It's done. Hope you guys like it.

Here's the blog post that details the final steps in the build as well as the display stand build: http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2625

And for the full details on the build progression, go here: http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=2600
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 23:23   Link #27525
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

That looks so badass, Gamera! The red and black stripes reminds me of (if you know the franchise) Fate/Stay Night servants when they get into Dark Mode.
Old 2012-09-13, 02:09   Link #27526
Asuras
Dictadere~!

So, I'm a rather new person to mecha model hobbies, and I figured if I had a question about such things, there's no better place than here. I definitely have no problem with construction, but what I can never seem to get past is finishing with a flawless surface on my models. What do you guys use to get rid of blemishes/leftover plastic? Do you paint over them, or use a tool that files them till they're flat? Also, what tools do you use to simply remove each piece from the trays? I (luckily) haven't had many breaks when trying to remove them, but they never seem to come out looking to hot (still have plastic dust/edges/bumps on them after removing). To note, I use a knife to saw away the pieces from the tray very slowly. I'm not sure if this is the right method or not.

Any help would be much appreciated. Btw, I love all of your pictures and finished models, everyone. Makes me wish I had the money to buy more.
Old 2012-09-13, 02:30   Link #27527
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

@Asuras
Let’s see, if you’re not a guy who likes to paint or air-brushing, using a knife or file to clean the plastic nubs on the surface is already a good method. Still, if I were you, I won’t use just any kind of knife. You better use a hobby-knife which is perfectly designed for such job. You can get it (& other tools for your kits) in stores that sell model kits. Also, after you cut the nubs, it is better if you paint the nub-spots with color-matching markers a little. For example, for Gundam models (Gunplas), Bandai already provide some Gundam Markers with various colors for you to buy & use.

If you like to air-brush, that’s even more simple. Just use the knife (some might suggest using sand-paper, but I still prefer the knife) to clean the nubs and then just brush it away.

To be clearer, you might want to check this link:
http://gunpla-inochi.com/tools/

I hope that helps .

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2012-09-13 at 03:50.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 08:13   Link #27528
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
So, I'm a rather new person to mecha model hobbies, and I figured if I had a question about such things, there's no better place than here. I definitely have no problem with construction, but what I can never seem to get past is finishing with a flawless surface on my models. What do you guys use to get rid of blemishes/leftover plastic? Do you paint over them, or use a tool that files them till they're flat? Also, what tools do you use to simply remove each piece from the trays? I (luckily) haven't had many breaks when trying to remove them, but they never seem to come out looking to hot (still have plastic dust/edges/bumps on them after removing). To note, I use a knife to saw away the pieces from the tray very slowly. I'm not sure if this is the right method or not.

Any help would be much appreciated. Btw, I love all of your pictures and finished models, everyone. Makes me wish I had the money to buy more.
1. You need to have the expensive tools. The quality difference is noticeable.
- Tamiya Hard File Pro
- Tamiya Modeler's Knife Pro
- Tamiya Modeler's Side Cutter
... If you're gonna use these, use the side cutter to nip off pieces, but leave a little extra. Then get close to the part and get it off. If there is still excess, then use the knife or file. Don't go back and forth since that'll leave an uneven surface.

2. If you want that pro look, you need to sand down w/ the metal file. This will leave scratch marks. But what you do is "fill them in" with a primer. Then you give it maybe 1 or 2 thin layers of paint with a air brush or you could hand brush, and then top coat.

That's a lot of effort. Personally, I just use Gundam Markers to fix nub marks and then if I want, I top coat.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:11   Link #27529
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Great looking AGE-FX custom

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=93741
Old 2012-09-13, 09:18   Link #27530
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnike629xx View Post
1. You need to have the expensive tools. The quality difference is noticeable.
- Tamiya Hard File Pro
- Tamiya Modeler's Knife Pro
- Tamiya Modeler's Side Cutter
... If you're gonna use these, use the side cutter to nip off pieces, but leave a little extra. Then get close to the part and get it off. If there is still excess, then use the knife or file. Don't go back and forth since that'll leave an uneven surface.

2. If you want that pro look, you need to sand down w/ the metal file. This will leave scratch marks. But what you do is "fill them in" with a primer. Then you give it maybe 1 or 2 thin layers of paint with a air brush or you could hand brush, and then top coat.

That's a lot of effort. Personally, I just use Gundam Markers to fix nub marks and then if I want, I top coat.
I will have to add that no you don't need to get expensive tools for the best results.
Alot of the tools you can get at local shops will more than likely do the job for you, just as long as it's not dirt and very badly made but you'd be able to notice that when buying them anyway.
However I find that you should find a nice good hobby knife, so spending a tad more on that is good idea but again you really don't need to(you can find good ones for pretty cheap anyway)
Following the guide Obelisk ze Tormentor posted is good start but no need to get the Tamiya stuff if you want to save some money(that stuff can be abit pricey)

For getting rid of nub marks can try this guide out.

Also if your having trouble cutting pieces out of the runners, then I advise to cut the runner up itself into smaller more manageable pieces to handle.
Instead of cutting the piece straight out you can cut away the runner from around off instead but that requires more work(altho putting in lots of tender loving care is part of the hobby)
I just tend to cut up the runners into quarters for easier work.

Quote:
Great looking AGE-FX custom

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=93741
Now that is pretty damn cool, Hi-Nu FX?
Old 2012-09-13, 09:26   Link #27531
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I will have to add that no you don't need to get expensive tools for the best results.
Alot of the tools you can get at local shops will more than likely do the job for you, just as long as it's not dirt and very badly made but you'd be able to notice that when buying them anyway.
However I find that you should find a nice good hobby knife, so spending a tad more on that is good idea but again you really don't need to(you can find good ones for pretty cheap anyway)
Following the guide Obelisk ze Tormentor posted is good start but no need to get the Tamiya stuff if you want to save some money(that stuff can be abit pricey)

For getting rid of nub marks can try this guide out.

Also if your having trouble cutting pieces out of the runners, then I advise to cut the runner up itself into smaller more manageable pieces to handle.
Instead of cutting the piece straight out you can cut away the runner from around off instead but that requires more work(altho putting in lots of tender loving care is part of the hobby)
I just tend to cut up the runners into quarters for easier work.

Now that is pretty damn cool, Hi-Nu FX?
I agree, I don't use expensive stuff either and still get good results.

AGE Hi-FX!
Old 2012-09-13, 22:51   Link #27532
suiton629
Master Grade Master

You think Bandai could release a MG Exia R2 as a P-Bandai Online Exclusive?
Old 2012-09-14, 01:57   Link #27533
FalsePrime

They seem to be using it for several things at this point and I do expect we will start to see more unique stuff other then just recolors as time goes by.

I don't know if they would do it with Exia given it's a lead and fairly popular one at that.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 05:20   Link #27534
maknaedik

Quote:
You think Bandai could release a MG Exia R2 as a P-Bandai Online Exclusive?
Nope. Not even as a regular release.

Red Gunpla Reviews: http://redblondemean.wordpress.com

My Personal Blog: http://cmgaddict.wordpress.com
maknaedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:40   Link #27535
firefox
Seed seeder

My lastest build, and for now my favorite 1/144 HG model! The G-Bouncer!

Even if you do not like Gundam AGE, this design is great, the quality is superb! I can't recommend it enough. And this come from a guy who does not like the color White

This guy begs for being MG-ed!!!!

firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:46   Link #27536
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
My lastest build, and for now my favorite 1/144 HG model! The G-Bouncer!

Even if you do not like Gundam AGE, this design is great, the quality is superb! I can't recommend it enough. And this come from a guy who does not like the color White

This guy begs for being MG-ed!!!!

I totally agree man! I actually want the 3 Woolf suits in MG. I built the Genoace Custom, G-Exes, and G-Bouncer and I actually enjoyed building them. They're so well done, details look great, and for a HG especially the quality and detail is amazing. =)

Also, the Age-2 Normal Special Ops should get an MG to "complete" the series of white suits from Age.

Reference the video below to be amazed with the 4 HG's.. =P I rarely post my built GunPla kits on public because too many people just being stupid by automatically thumb downing the video...makes no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksS-HgybQ4g&hd=1

And besides, my MG and 1/100 collection is begging for those 4 to get MG releases (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi37rOFi7Ek&hd=1)
Old 2012-09-14, 12:18   Link #27537
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Anyone here think that the Perfect Grade is pretty much dead?
Old 2012-09-14, 12:48   Link #27538
FalsePrime

Perfect Grade isn't dead.

This isn't the first time that we have had a gap in PG releases and it won't be the last.

Also over half the PG's are recolors anyway so you got to remember the amount of unique PG's we have is incredibly small.

We will get another in time, but the combination of size, complexity, and overall popularlity has to line up just right for us to get these. These things are huge and take alot to design on top of asking alot even for heavy Gunpla fans to pay so they can't just throw them out whenever and of whatever and expect them to do well.
Old 2012-09-14, 12:51   Link #27539
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Perfect Grade isn't dead.

This isn't the first time that we have had a gap in PG releases and it won't be the last.

Also over half the PG's are recolors anyway so you got to remember the amount of unique PG's we have is incredibly small.

We will get another in time, but the combination of size, complexity, and overall popularlity has to line up just right for us to get these. These things are huge and take alot to design on top of asking alot even for heavy Gunpla fans to pay so they can't just throw them out whenever and of whatever and expect them to do well.
Those are my issues with PG.

1. Expensive
2. take a long time to come out
3. not many people buy it relative to like SD, HG, MG, and now RG...

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get rid of PG and work towards improving quality and color separation in SD, RG, HG, and MG?
Old 2012-09-14, 13:18   Link #27540
FalsePrime

Quote:
Those are my issues with PG.

1. Expensive
2. take a long time to come out
3. not many people buy it relative to like SD, HG, MG, and now RG...

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get rid of PG and work towards improving quality and color separation in SD, RG, HG, and MG?
No this is a line entirely dedicated to the most popular suits at some of the highest quality for those modelers who want the most indepth design they can have.

The other Grades are always being improved upon, that is why we have modelers always talking about how High Grades of today out class early MG's, and how stuff like Nu needs a new MG to keep up with todays quality. There is no reason to drop the PG line just for others. Even if they did drop the PG line, there is no reason to believe that MG's and the rest would suddenly get a quality bump anyway.

Your reasons for the drop of a line that has proven popular and by all account profitable for Bandai are completely selfish and really have no benefit to anyone other then to deprive those who really love the line.

PG's aren't for everyone, but neither should they be dropped because of that. They have their place just as HG, MG, RG, and NG's.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy