AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-08, 02:40   Link #1
Digital Klown

New guy w/ FMP question..

Hi all! I can't really find any other forums where there are people who know about FMP so I'm glad I found this forum when I did.

Just a quick question: has anyone seen the english dub of Full Metal Panic (I'm referring to the first series, of course) and if so, was it at least as good as the subtitled version? I mean, both versions are available on the dvd, I know, but I'm just wondering if the english dub will add anything to my enjoyment of the series. Thanks!
Old 2003-12-08, 21:34   Link #2
Go-lytely

The dub is well.... a dub. I dont like it, but then again I dont like most dubs. Some of the Japanese jokes were left out in the dub too because they couldnt think of anything to replace them with. I mean, they could have thought up something even if it was something corny.
Old 2003-12-09, 05:23   Link #3
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Stick with Japanese audio and english subtitles
Old 2003-12-09, 05:59   Link #4
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Stick with Japanese audio and english subtitles

thats what i do...also for fmp...in my opinion, the japanese voices sound better...well actually i think jap voices for all anime is better then english dubs.
Old 2003-12-09, 11:18   Link #5
phaeton
don't mind me

the original version is always best.
esp in anime where u don't get any actors, so the voice of each character plays an even bigger role. the original voices for animes are always better than the dubbed versions.
even with OGMs, I'll hear the japanese dialog and read the eng subs
Old 2003-12-10, 00:21   Link #6
gambit13
'...the ragin' cajun...'

Stick to subbed version, the dub on the dvds suck.The voice isnt 2 good and Souske's sound is ver annoying, but anyhway thats how i feel!
Old 2003-12-10, 15:24   Link #7
FreedomZero

Send a message via AIM to FreedomZero
Well I don't think that the dub of FMP is that bad. I have seen/hear MUCH worse. (Love Hina still pisses me off, and that was not the worst)

Generally I watch an anime that I own on DVD in both, once in the Japanese audio with English Subs, then just the English Dub most times I even watch English Dub with the English Subs to really see differances. Hoewever there are a few differances with FMP, but nothing that I can remember offhand that is earth-shattering.

Personally I think that they did a nice job matching the general picth and sound of the voices to the Jap counterparts. I am not expecting it to be pefect, but it is good.

Personally though, if I am going to show an Anime to friends it is almost always English dub, unless it is a fansub on the computer . FMP and FMP-F are great animes though and are al least in the top 5 for me. Sorry for the length.
Old 2003-12-11, 04:07   Link #8
Digital Klown

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'm kinda leaning towards the subtitled version myself. Not because I think the english dub version is bad, necessarily. It's just that I can't imagine their voices being done by anyone else.
Old 2003-12-30, 01:02   Link #9
Umbrae
Generic Human

I'm of the opinion that sub > dub in all situations. If nothing else it adds a more authentic atmosphere.

Seriously school kids in japan, wearing japanese school uniforms . . . speaking english?

Of course I am of the opinion that in any film sistuation people should speak the language that would be appropriate to the situation. I am tired of watching nazi soldiers discuss plans in english in ww2 films. of course I do not expect this to happen untill at least the litteracy rate of the US raises.
Old 2003-12-31, 02:19   Link #10
PSX
SCEI

Send a message via ICQ to PSX Send a message via AIM to PSX Send a message via MSN to PSX Send a message via Yahoo to PSX
augh, the english voicing for sousuke is horrible, he doesnt have much of a military tone and sounds like a p*ssy(duno if i can out that ^^) and when women speak japanese its more pleasant to hear rather then loud crackling american women, well, im not saying its a bad thing, its just how it is ^^
Old 2006-04-04, 11:55   Link #11
fotte

Does any one know where i can find subtitles for FMP sec. Raid. ? thanks...
Old 2006-04-04, 12:06   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotte
Does any one know where i can find subtitles for FMP sec. Raid. ? thanks...
Errr, here....

FMP TSR at AnimeSuki

Unless you are asking for the actual scripts, in which case you are on your own.
Old 2006-04-05, 04:36   Link #13
toot
Pow! right in the kisser

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
Seriously school kids in japan, wearing japanese school uniforms . . . speaking english?
then how would you explain Tessa's mother tongue when she's supposed to be Italian? Just don't think too deep on anime stories because those are only fiction.

Not all dubs are actually bad..
great list here
but then that's only the writer's opinion

Last edited by toot; 2006-04-05 at 04:47.
Old 2006-04-05, 14:29   Link #14
masterwok

well i think the dubs versions r great bc when u have to read the subtitles it takes u away from the visual and then u miss some parts or u stop to read the subtitles. when u stop it or not looking at the visual u miss the action in the show, so the dubs r better to me.
Old 2006-04-06, 08:41   Link #15
Crucifix

FMP first and second season english dub is good, well not as good as the japanese version but it is way better compare to most dubbed anime. I think it was the only anime I watched in dub and did not had the urge to puke.

If it is just mere comparison, then by far the japanese version is better. But if you are judging it based on the quality of the english dub by itself, I'd say it's not bad.
Old 2006-04-07, 04:42   Link #16
toot
Pow! right in the kisser

^yeah, It's not bad but it's not great either. Sousuke's (Eng) voice sounded a bit dj-ish & lively whereas the japanese voice is more monotone & stoic which perfectly suited the character. But the rest of the characters are really well done.
Closed Thread