AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-08-14, 00:04   Link #1
Seiryuu

Minami-ke

Just thought I'd start this up though it's months away. Despite his success with Today in Class 5-2, I honestly didn't think this author would get this series animated, much less as a TV series. This is honestly a hilarious story from what I remember of it though I haven't read much.
What I remember of the plot seems sort of like a 5-2 interpretation of Binbou Shimai Monogatari, with the addition of a third sister. The eldest, high-school sister is mature but maybe a bit laid back. The middle-schooler is on a permanent sugar high, and the extended effects seem to have involved brain damage. The elemetary-schooler is cynical, unemotional, and unnerving.
I only remember one scenario, but I hope it'll be near the start of the series:
Spoiler:
Looking forward to this, it should be very funny. Given the author, expect lots and LOTS of pantsu.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 01:29   Link #2
NeoSam

This anime is based on a seinen manga.

I'll post the covers of the available manga covers in this post.

==========

みなみけ
Minami-ke

Starchild official site for the anime:
http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/minami-ke/

Based on a manga thats serialized in the seinen manga magazine Young Magazine.
For now there are 4 volumes released of this manga.
Covers: (only normal edition)

Spoiler:

From Manganews:

Quote:
In the Minami house there are three sisters: Haruka, Kana, and Chiaki. Each sister cannot be more different from the others. Haruka is both industrious and motherly, perfect traits for the eldest girl and therefore head of the household. Kana is spunky and deeply naive (alright, stupid). Chiaki is cool but capable of tenderness, especially toward the much-admired Haruka.

Unlike most other manga series, Minami-ke does not depend on outlandish situations or characters to evince humor. Instead, hilarity arises from the sisters' interaction with their peers at school and each other at home. Sometimes touching, sometimes slightly naughty, but always funny, Minami-ke is one manga that should not be missed.
Mangaka: Sakuraba Koharu

Genre: Seinen, Comedy

==========

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-09-12 at 07:14.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 01:34   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Hummm... from the basic story synopsis it didn't really spark my interest, but that may change. Seems like another um... what's that word ^_^, um... I can't remember. Ah ha ^_^ Slice of life.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 03:04   Link #4
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Looking forward to this, it should be very funny. Given the author, expect lots and LOTS of pantsu.
Funny? I hope so. More pantsu? For the love of everything moe, I hope not.

I really loved Kyou no Go Ni (the manga) but the excessive, unnecessary, and inappropriate emphasis on innuendo (in the anime adaptation) ruined the experience for me. The quality of the art suffered in transition and most of the supposedly comic scenes lost their charm due to improper setups. Besides, it's rather disturbing when a mini-series about gradeschool kids is produced by a company (Shinkuukan) that has done other shows such as Dark Love, Heritage From Father, MAID iN HEAVEN SuperS, Sexfriend, and Sexy Magical Girl (all "adult titles").

Since the company producing Minami-ke appears to be different from the previous one, I hope that they could pull off this properly like the people behind Ichigo Mashimaro did.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 21:41   Link #5
Seiryuu

I agree to some degree. However, I didn't mind the excessive fanservice moments in 5-2 too much. I'd say the kids generally behaved like kids their age would, with some exceptions(particularly the adult versions of their faces are more like what situations may look like in an adolescent's mind), and I remember from fifth grade, while it wasn't so over-the-top, there was no shortage of "accidents" at school.
As far as this show goes, it's not a bunch of fifth graders, it's a broad spectrum, so you won't get too much of the ultra-loli stuff from before. I expect that the fanservice will be toned down since it's TV, but this work IS by that author, and I doubt this series will be able to cut it out completely. I'm expecting it'll be around the same level as the original Nanoha...
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-16, 10:12   Link #6
Fruitfly

From what I saw in the manga that was translated, the only pantsu shot i saw was that of Chiaki, the youngest one. Unless you count bloomers as pantsu. But I'm looking forward to this series. There was some great funny moments

Here's a neat [mad] video
http://stage6.divx.com/Japanese-Mad-...video/1367272/

Last edited by Fruitfly; 2007-08-16 at 18:46.
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 10:21   Link #7
NeoSam

Here's a nice Minami-ke wallpaper from the publisher:
http://www.yanmaga.kodansha.co.jp/ym...i/minami_l.jpg
Old 2007-09-12, 01:35   Link #8
Fruitfly

I'm looking at the website and why is there 2 versions of Minami-ke?
There's regular Minami-ke and then there's Minami-ke ~Okawari~

I think I like the art for the regular one better than Okawari but Okawari has the right hair colours.
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-12, 06:12   Link #9
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitfly View Post
From what I saw in the manga that was translated, the only pantsu shot i saw was that of Chiaki, the youngest one. Unless you count bloomers as pantsu. But I'm looking forward to this series. There was some great funny moments

Here's a neat [mad] video
http://stage6.divx.com/Japanese-Mad-...video/1367272/
not bad, looks like a regular slice of life, romance, and comedy series. it looks interesting, im always sold if its a good comedy series
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-12, 07:13   Link #10
NeoSam

Volume 4 of the manga got released on September 6, 2007.
Cover:

Seinen manga.
Serialized in the seinen manga magazine Young Magazine.
Old 2007-09-12, 15:51   Link #11
S_K
Let's begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Volume 4 of the manga got released on September 6, 2007.
Cover:

Seinen manga.
Serialized in the seinen manga magazine Young Magazine.
I was looking at some series that might come out in the winter, and it says that there's going to be a Minami Ke Okawari, I believe that its a second season, but 1st season hasn't even aired yet
Old 2007-09-12, 21:30   Link #12
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
I was looking at some series that might come out in the winter, and it says that there's going to be a Minami Ke Okawari, I believe that its a second season, but 1st season hasn't even aired yet
I think it's exactly the same situation as with the two Futakoi shows a couple of years ago: there will be one series this fall, then another, by a totally different animation company, next winter. Starchild produced both Futakois and both of these, but contracts with different animation houses. The first series is by Doumu and the "second helping" (o-kawari) by a company I think called Asulead (Asuriido).

This version is by the director of Yoake-mae yori Ruri-iro na ~Crescent Love, and the one in January will be by the director of Shuffle! Neither makes me very enthusiastic.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 03:43   Link #13
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

I also have my qualms about this adaptation. If it's anything like the Today in Class 5-2 OVAs, they'll totally miss the mood and pacing. The studio/director situation doesn't inspire much confidence either.
mako1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 16:28   Link #14
totalnet

I getting more of an Ichigo Mashimaro feel from it than Class 5-2. The middle sister, Kana, reminds me of the next door girl in Ichigo Mashimaro.
totalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 16:47   Link #15
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

As a fan of Sakuraba Coharu's work, I was looking forward to this one. It mostly stays true to the original material in terms of sister characterization, but Kana did get a minor Miu-shift. Primarily because of that, it feels a lot more like Ichigo Mashimaro than it originally did.

I don't really take issue with the change because it isn't out of character and I was a big fan of Ichigo Mashimaro as well. Thus, I'd recommend this to the same sort of people who liked Ichigo Mashimaro for its type of comedy.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 17:03   Link #16
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Ichigo Marshmallow or Azumanga knockoff... take your pick, not that it's really a bad thing... but parts of it make it really REALLY obvious that it's trying hard to imitate Azumanga, complete with their title in a rolling ball for the girls to push around.

The actual content was pretty amusing, but the background music was just awful. Almost all of it was of the twangy guitar or elevator music variety. When there's actual energy going on with the show, but the music is putting me to sleep, it hurts my brain. There was also some really dysphoria (good word... dysphoria) going on with the art/animation above and beyond the usual "artists forget how to draw perspectives so she'll have giant cheekbones this scene." Some things (mostly the mouths) varied through about five different styles with very little rhyme or reason, but at the same time, whoever's handling the CG work for them is damn good. It's just very strange to see really nice effects in one scene, then five seconds later, glaring animation inconsistencies.

THAT ASIDE, it was a rather enjoyable episode. I imagine subtitle watchers who have to concentrate less on the sound will find the music less distractingly bizarre. The content is definitely strong, it's just too bad the music seems designed to make you ignore the joke delivery entirely.

Caps
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=391

OP
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 19:06   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow, that was highly enjoyable.

Another 4-koma adaptation, though from watching the first episode --- i get the feeling this is going to stand out compared to what we've seen in the past. Not only that, though just watching this episode alone made me think "Ichigo Mashimaro" (yeah i know, same animation production).

Just from that episode alone, this is easily one of my fav' shows from the new season.
Old 2007-10-07, 19:25   Link #18
S_K
Let's begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
Ichigo Marshmallow or Azumanga knockoff... take your pick, not that it's really a bad thing... but parts of it make it really REALLY obvious that it's trying hard to imitate Azumanga, complete with their title in a rolling ball for the girls to push around.

The actual content was pretty amusing, but the background music was just awful. Almost all of it was of the twangy guitar or elevator music variety. When there's actual energy going on with the show, but the music is putting me to sleep, it hurts my brain. There was also some really dysphoria (good word... dysphoria) going on with the art/animation above and beyond the usual "artists forget how to draw perspectives so she'll have giant cheekbones this scene." Some things (mostly the mouths) varied through about five different styles with very little rhyme or reason, but at the same time, whoever's handling the CG work for them is damn good. It's just very strange to see really nice effects in one scene, then five seconds later, glaring animation inconsistencies.

THAT ASIDE, it was a rather enjoyable episode. I imagine subtitle watchers who have to concentrate less on the sound will find the music less distractingly bizarre. The content is definitely strong, it's just too bad the music seems designed to make you ignore the joke delivery entirely.

Caps
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=391

OP
highly enjoyable lookin for ward to this series
Old 2007-10-07, 19:52   Link #19
U<3Anime
Boo!

It does resemble azumanga quite a lot. Especially Kana's baka-ness, it just totally reminds me of Tomo . This is not a bad thing because i enjoyed the RAW of ep 1 quite a lot, even though i didn't understand what they were saying most of the time. The scene where Kana is trying to kiss Chiaki had some really nice animation. Although its expected because its the first episode. I just hope the animation and drawing stays fairly consistent for the rest of the show. However, i know that will be kind of slim for a show like this. I'm really looking forward for the subs and the next episode.
Old 2007-10-07, 20:26   Link #20
U<3Anime
Boo!

Wow, this fan-made opening is so much better than the official one DX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLelt...elated&search=

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life