AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

Old 2008-10-22, 12:00   Link #521
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Just a curious note on some of the pictures...

If that's a bridge behind, why would there be an underpass? It seems kind of redundant.

But anyways, it's good to see that they're taking the scenes as reference and improving them to suit the story, instead of just "photoshopping" them. The grounds for the sacred tree and the shrine is another example.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 12:03   Link #522
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

What has Nagi been eating?

And she looks like she's been watching television the whole day...

teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 14:00   Link #523
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
...I'm still trying to figure out just what it is that makes these characters so entertaining to watch. They're only just slight variations of archetypes we've seen before, but in this instance that's all it takes for them to be really enjoyable to watch. I can't explain it, but I'm liking every minute of it.
I can't explain it, either. The mangaka's approach has something to do with it, but I'm tempted just to put it down to Yamakan's "genius." (That's the director, Yamamoto Yutaka, for anyone who doesn't know.)

Maybe it's knowing which split-second to use for comic timing. Or how to touch an otaku's soul with a character's movements or glance. He seems to me to know just how seriously (or unseriously) to present a character. Or just having a great ironic sense of humor himself. He somehow intensifies both the amusing and the touching elements of Nagi's character, as presented in the manga. And he does it while sticking quite close to the story and images of the manga.

And I think he has a special talent for combining image and music in entertaining ways. This is the guy who wrote, storyboarded, and directed the Suzumiya Haruhi ED and the Lucky Star OP, as well as the SHnY concert episode. He's just got the touch.

He's also rather daring. He did the storyboard for the SHnY episode with Yuki reading for three minutes. And he wrote, storyboarded, and directed episode 00, which took a pretty daring approach, coming first, and leaving Haruhi out until the end. He went ahead and started Lucky Star with the choco-cornet conversation, which worked for some people but really puzzled others.

Anyway, I'll post his photo again, just for good measure. Here he is with Hirano Aya in 2007. I can read a lot into that smile: amusement, irony, knowingness, tension.

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 17:05   Link #524
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, he's becoming a director that I'll be keeping an eye on. Someone who channels multi-frequency high information signals in harmony. ... yeah, that probably only made sense to an electrical engineer but he puts texture into what would be banality in other hands.
Old 2008-10-22, 23:29   Link #525
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
Just a curious note on some of the pictures...

If that's a bridge behind, why would there be an underpass? It seems kind of redundant.
i thought the tunnel was some sort of addition to the anime, otherwise it doesn/t make sense.
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 23:55   Link #526
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, he's becoming a director that I'll be keeping an eye on. Someone who channels multi-frequency high information signals in harmony. ... yeah, that probably only made sense to an electrical engineer but he puts texture into what would be banality in other hands.
As much he has brilliant touch, unfortunately there is some criticism that he is too much of perfectionist, he used more money on animation than usual for TV adapted anime.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2008-10-29 at 17:04.
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:26   Link #527
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
As much he has brilliant touch, unfortunately there is some criticism that he is too much of perfectionist, he used more money on animation than usual anime for TV adaptation.
This has the ring of truth, for me. I can't figure out how he can afford the detail in this show -- but that goes for most KyoAni shows, too, no matter who the director is. It'll work if they sell a lot of DVDs and other goods.

I notice that Ordet (Yamakan's company) gets billing more or less equal to A-1. Perhaps A-1 is covering itself by contracting with Ordet for deliverables, rather than just hiring Yamakan and taking all the financial risk itself.

On the other hand, he may be a perfectionist in some ways, but it appears that he's not a stickler for perfect continuity (the missed hug scene) or having all the backgrounds make perfect sense (the unnecessary underpass). Neither of those things bothered me, in context.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 02:47   Link #528
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I understand where the criticism might come from, because the TOTALLY mundane and otherwise totally useless parts of the anime are animated very intricately. Not that I'm complaining, but if they use up a ton of budget just to animate an everyday scene that doesn't absolutely require it, the director will get some heat for it.

As for the ep itself, I'm surprised to see that I'm rather liking all the new characters they're introducing. Dokusasori, eh? What a blunt way of describing the guy's scorpion-esque hair.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 02:52   Link #529
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Watched it at last. Should make more of an effort to keep up.

Tsugumi's victory dance was so cute... She should rejoice about her weight gain. As long as it's in the right places.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 19:23   Link #530
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Watching first ep of Kannagi since it's been mentioned around often, and it reminds me of Kamipani!! Woootage!!

(Note: Kamipani's a 2008 ero-game involving Shinto gods and such like Kannagi)
Old 2008-10-24, 11:11   Link #531
xris
Just call me Ojisan

We're going to take a bit of a punt with this series and create a sub-forum for it. I hope those who posted in this thread will continue to discuss the episodes and series in the respective threads
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 11:29   Link #532
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Wow awesome! I wasn't expecting a subforum for this series but great that it is given one

This is one of those that deserves one too

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 11:30   Link #533
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Surprised, but thanks..... hope it doesn't turn out to be another kasimasi oopsie because I'm seeing more passion from a small group than some kind of broadband appeal
Old 2008-10-24, 11:34   Link #534
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
+1 for having a sub-forum
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 11:47   Link #535
Kouvley

A very welcome suprise.

Hopefully having a sub forum will attract more people to watch and discuss this show.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 11:56   Link #536
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

EeeeeeEeeEEEeeeEEhh?

How did this get a sub-forum? There wasn't that much activity...... ( O_o; )
Well, it is a great thing, so no complaints...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 12:00   Link #537
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Well, isn't that good?

I thought 27 pages with only 3 eps is quite active, isn't it?
Old 2008-10-24, 12:06   Link #538
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Well, isn't that good?

I thought 27 pages with only 3 eps is quite active, isn't it?
If you are going to have 26 - yes. If it only has enough source material for 13 (i.e. by having just 6 volumes of manga) - no.
Take a look at Rosario Cross Vampire Capu2 - it is also at "3 eps", but has 66 pages of discussion (more than twice of Kannagi), has an additional first season and *two* much longer manga series(http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=47934 alone has enough posts to topple half of existing subforums!) - and yet it has no subforum of its own.

Last edited by SinsI; 2008-10-24 at 12:23.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 12:16   Link #539
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

With 4 eps, Toradora also has about double the amount of pages Kannagi has. But like xris said, they're taking a gamble with this series by giving it a subforum, but I'm not complaining since this is one of the top shows of the season for me. Besides, CG and MF just finished so they need new series to fill the void.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 12:27   Link #540
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You also have to factor in "how many different people post and how often" in addition to pure numbers. A small dedicated group with lots to say can generate a lot of pages but in the end, its a small table at a pub so a subforum level of organization isn't needed.

Choosing what to subforum is a tricky thing. I mentioned Kashimashi because it initially generated a lot of traffic and as soon as it got subforumed, it trickled down to a few passionate posters.

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shounen