Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-23, 08:30   Link #81
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
...(EDIT: Or is that... the encoding? Yikes.)
Yep, it's Shinsen's encode. They've opted for some watercolour type filter than brings out the colours. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit hit and miss (IMHO that is).
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 08:33   Link #82
Nosgoroth

Uh, Sonhex... not that I especially like the first Kanon pic or anything, but... I don't particularly understand what you are doing there. Are you comparing the meaning of the whole scene behind the TMGK capture ("self-imposed isolation" and all that) and the graphism of the Kanon capture? Does that make any sense?

Besides, I believe Mitheor's point when posting the pics was to compare technical quality, as was mine.

wao, I also love Manabi's character designs and drawings. That hair colour degradation.. ^^
However, about something that makes me cringe about Tokio Majin... how about drawing definition, for example?

EDIT: Gah, is the watercolor filter thing true? Could you please post a screencap without it?
Nosgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 08:50   Link #83
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosgoroth View Post
Uh, Sonhex... not that I especially like the first Kanon pic or anything, but... I don't particularly understand what you are doing there. Are you comparing the meaning of the whole scene behind the TMGK capture ("self-imposed isolation" and all that) and the graphism of the Kanon capture? Does that make any sense?

Besides, I believe Mitheor's point when posting the pics was to compare technical quality, as was mine.
My subtle way of trying to get across the point that 'good animation' is not just about pretty pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosgoroth View Post
EDIT: Gah, is the watercolor filter thing true? Could you please post a screencap without it?
Sure:

All the raws for Majin are low-res and crappy. Shinsen did a good job of bringing out the colours with their choice of filter, but at the expense of some detail. As a result I think all comparisons of eye-candy should wait until the DVDs of Majin are out, because there's zero chance of hi-res raws. Unfortunately
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 10:13   Link #84
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
I am slightly confused after watching the sub... That white haired person is guy not a girl right? Why did the sub call him a her?
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 10:39   Link #85
Cyprene

Anybody who thinks comparing what looks like an HD raw to an (albeit very talented) encoder's attempt to salvage a crappy analogue broadcast raw and saying that it proves anything about anything is an idiot.

The sub called "him" a "her" because I was the translator, and I am legendarily bad at detecting traps.

You should've seen the crapstorm I got when I called Jakotsu a her in Inuyasha 102.

Last edited by monir; 2007-01-23 at 11:22. Reason: Use the "edit" feature! ;) Merged double post.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 11:39   Link #86
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
comparing what looks like an HD raw to an (albeit very talented) encoder's attempt to salvage a crappy analogue broadcast raw.
You can always give the benefit of the doubt that not everyone is going to understand the kinks and quirks a encoder has to go through to cleanup most of these crappy raws. The reason why those comparison screencaps fail to begin with is that the purpose of those screencaps were to explore animation or animated motion, but those screenshot did anything but explore animated movements. To quote Sonhex,
"My subtle way of trying to get across the point that 'good animation' is not just about pretty pictures."
Kanon is spectacular in many ways, but the show is also devoid of many complicated fluid movements a good animated fight scene demands. A better comparison of KyoAni's work in respect to good animated motion would be FMP 2nd Raid.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 12:01   Link #87
Nosgoroth

I didn't know it was captured from crappy analogue, I thought it was supposed to be that way. My apologies.

I still didn't like it at all, but that's another matter entirely.
Nosgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 15:20   Link #88
Cyprene

Wait, no. I think they said she was a girl in the dialogue.
I don't remember. Maybe they meant the little girl with her. I'll have to look later.
Old 2007-01-23, 15:39   Link #89
Doria

Lol, given the translation you gave me, I believe it's the latter. The lines in question are "Her." and then a few seconds later "She's just a kid." Hence, I took both lines to refer to Claire, as whathisface is easily mistaken for many things--at the least, clearly a woman--but probably not easily mistaken for a child.

It definitely relieves me, though, that so many others found his/her/its gender as confusing as I did.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 15:42   Link #90
Cyprene

OK then. We're safe.

I've made the "She's actually a he!" error so many times this point that I just assumed I'd done it again.
I hate anime like that.
Old 2007-01-23, 16:25   Link #91
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Thanks for answering Cyprene. I was so worried that the white haired dude is actually a girl after I made that comment. I wasn't 100% sure IF that guy IS a guy but I had to ask.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 16:48   Link #92
Cyprene

It's extremely easy to make a mistake like that. >_<

I just looked at the webpage, and as I remembered, it says absolutely nothing as to "its" gender.
Old 2007-01-23, 17:39   Link #93
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Well, in regards to the gender confusion..

I formerly come from the visual kei scene. I loved bands such as Dir en grey and so on. No so much these days, granted - give me some Anatakikou or some Pillows and I'll be in Heaven.

So.. Because of this you just kind of assume any particularly fruity looking girl with a flat chest is a guy. So.. Perhaps I'm 'jaded' but at the very least I wasn't confused.
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 17:58   Link #94
Cyprene

I've fallen for every trap in existence. I STILL hear about the time I saw Mana and went "Wow, she's hot!"

So any time there's a potential for this mistake to be made, I'll probably make it.
Old 2007-01-23, 18:05   Link #95
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Mana IS very convincing woman, but not a convincing musician. xD

You'd think you would have gotten used to it by now. -Pat, pat.-
Old 2007-01-23, 18:46   Link #96
Cyprene

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Anyway, I've given the game a bit more of a lookthrough. The art is weird... is there some reason that most games on the PSX like that look like they were drawn with colored pencils?
Old 2007-01-23, 18:55   Link #97
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

I think that was the style at the time. I've seen a lot of games from the PSX that the art work had a very 'colored pencil' feel to it.
Old 2007-01-23, 18:59   Link #98
Cyprene

I thought it was a hardware limitation for a while, but Device Raider, or whatever the heck it's called, is very anime-ish, as are a lot of other games. It's ugly, whatever it is. Its a series thing; I played Kowloon Academy, which is a spin-off, and it had the same kind of style.
Old 2007-01-23, 19:01   Link #99
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Art chracterisation camera angles and story telling blew me away . The setting is very dark and stark has a surreal feel to it . Lot of emphasis is given on style thats a bonus . Thanx Kira_Naruto for informing me yday
Old 2007-01-24, 01:49   Link #100
sevenheaven7

who is the main character?
sevenheaven7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, supernatural