AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-03-04, 18:31   Link #1
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Internet Issues.

Okay, I have an issue here that I can't figure out. This started about 2 days ago. My standard internet browsing is still the same as always, Like forums and other standard websites load up without a hitch. But if I were to try to stream like in youtube or download either DDL, FTP, Torrent, etc... my internet slows down to a snails crawl. Usually I can run torrents and download at a relatively good speed (anywhere between 200 - 500kbps) but now I only download at like 15kbps with my entire internet bogged down to a crawl.

I tried viral scans, modem + router resets, nothing... Anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 18:32   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Talk to your ISP lately? Maybe you're being capped.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 18:33   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

What ISP you are currently on? ISPs like Comcast are known to cap users if you go over the bandwidth limit.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:35   Link #4
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Comcast... They cap bandwidth now? wtf? =_=... I didn't know they are limiting bandwidth... and it's only the beginning of the month...

Edit: I just looked it up. A 250G per month limit. But still there's no way I could use up 250G's in 1 day... So it must be something else.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:49   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Have you tried connecting your computer directly to the router or the modem? If you connect it to the modem and still having problems, then your modem is at fault.

To be sure, perform a speed test and post your scores with Wifi, Ethernet and the modem. If your wifi is slowing down, you may have interference with the channels and you may need to change the channel to a different setting.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:55   Link #6
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I don't use Wifi since I don't trust wireless just yet. So I'm hardwired to my router. I'll try connecting straight to the modem and see what happens. And yeah I've done a speedtest already it's as slow as whatever it is Im downloading.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:58   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I just looked it up. A 250G per month limit. But still there's no way I could use up 250G's in 1 day... So it must be something else.
I'm not sure what the definition of a "month" is. It could be "past thirty days," or it could be measured relative to the date you first subscribed rather than a calendar month.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 19:02   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Just tried a direct connection to the modem... no dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm not sure what the definition of a "month" is. It could be "past thirty days," or it could be measured relative to the date you first subscribed rather than a calendar month.
hm.. I dunno. I don't really download much. I usually just stream T.V shows about once a week. This really sucks... I can't do anything worth doing on the internet, there's only so much I can do.

Also, if I hit my bandwidth limit they'll send a warning email or phone call since It started two days ago roughly, I shouldve gotten one already.
Old 2010-03-11, 12:37   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It *could* be that you're initiating more connections that your modem was designed to handle... but you say it *was* working fine til just recently.

Have they sent you bandwidth warnings before?

Comcast has been documented for doing shit just to see if people notice. Sites like Hulu are a direct competition to Comcast's content providing... its the biggest reason I don't like the idea of ISPs providing content. They should only provide connectivity.
Old 2010-03-11, 13:14   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Did Comcast ever stop using Sandvine to throttle peoples' bandwidth back if they were detected streaming video or torrenting?
Old 2010-03-12, 00:26   Link #11
Peterbigeyes

Its just a wild guess but have you tried using a different browser?
Peterbigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 10:09   Link #12
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It *could* be that you're initiating more connections that your modem was designed to handle... but you say it *was* working fine til just recently.

Have they sent you bandwidth warnings before?

Comcast has been documented for doing shit just to see if people notice. Sites like Hulu are a direct competition to Comcast's content providing... its the biggest reason I don't like the idea of ISPs providing content. They should only provide connectivity.
Hmm, never had a warning before. Well, I decided to bring my modem in for a check up at the comcast store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Did Comcast ever stop using Sandvine to throttle peoples' bandwidth back if they were detected streaming video or torrenting?
No idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbigeyes View Post
Its just a wild guess but have you tried using a different browser?
Yeah, tried everything I can think of.