AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-12-20, 02:18   Link #541
Laurcus
The black angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I think you're absolutely right about the differences in demographics, which ties back into something that has been previously discussed more times than I can afford to count (the time slot change and the subsequent pressure to increase ratings, which was ultimately unnecessary since the show got mediocre TV numbers all across the board but, like the previous season had accomplished, still had good DVD and BD sales).

That's not to say there was no overlap, no, but trying to serve several masters is usually a bad idea and upsets an already fragile balance. I can't pretend to have no disappointments, regrets or complaints.

I suppose you can say my own position is based on the idea of not throwing out the baby with the bath water. I think the basic framework of the plot works, it just was executed too sloppily and with less attention to detail.

That might not sound like much, but more exposition and less of a rush would have done wonders. That's one of the reasons why I think it was a mistake to force the entire Zero Requiem arc into the last 4 episodes of the season. Such a radical scenario, whether one likes it or not, would have worked better as a movie instead of something tacked on at the end. Without that element, those episodes could have been used to expand on other issues and characters or even to add tactical / strategic complexity to some of the mecha battles.

Adding the director's natural inclination for not spelling things out to a second season that was already rushed and compressed is what leaves us with a less than optimal result and many incomplete answers, yes, but I have to accept R2 as canonical. ZZ is still part of the Gundam canon after all, as much as some would prefer otherwise.

On the other hand...if there ever was a remake or movie / OVA adaptation that restored some of the lost balance, whether through an AU or a sequel / prequel, that would be great. As long as the franchise is commercially viable, I think we'll get something better or at least different in due time.
Honestly I have to agree with you on pretty much all of those points.
Old 2009-12-20, 02:19   Link #542
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
LL and CC have a kid
Considering that it was stated that Lelouch died a virgin I'd have to say no.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 02:38   Link #543
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Who is this L.L. he speaks of? I have heard not of him. Is an OC?
Old 2009-12-20, 02:48   Link #544
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Who is this L.L. he speaks of? I have heard not of him. Is an OC?
Oh yes, valid point. I think L.L. was the phony baloney name some fans gave to Lelouch after they speculated about him gaining a code.
Old 2009-12-20, 03:05   Link #545
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Oh yes, valid point. I think L.L. was the phony baloney name some fans gave to Lelouch after they speculated about him gaining a code.
No-no, that was R.R.. After all, L.L. doesn't work for R2.
Old 2009-12-20, 03:10   Link #546
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
No-no, that was R.R.. After all, L.L. doesn't work for R2.
L.L. R.R. R2. R2-D2. There's too many letters and numbers jumping around here!
Old 2009-12-20, 03:23   Link #547
Laurcus
The black angel

I could be wrong here.....but I believe R2 refers to the name of the final episode which is Re: Or rather I believe that refers to the words Revival Re:advent or R2.
Old 2009-12-20, 03:28   Link #548
Kuroshinobu

The R2 really fueled the speculation that Lelouch gained the code. Although, it's understandable why.
Kuroshinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 03:42   Link #549
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
which is kinda stupid
since, despite the japanese mispronunciation, he is not actaully named "Rurouch Ramperuge"
Old 2009-12-20, 04:13   Link #550
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshinobu View Post
The R2 really fueled the speculation that Lelouch gained the code. Although, it's understandable why.
the random guy on the wooden wagon is laughing his ass of at this point
no more RR or LL's, he's RIP remember? discussing that again shouldn't be done in this thread

and a kid o.o;
you'd think CC has been through menopauze after all these hundreds of years, it's quite impossible that she would have some eggs left in her
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 05:47   Link #551
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Guess I'll have to say it again.

According to those in power, Taniguchi and Okouchi, R2 officially means "Reconstruction and Revolution", the two main themes present in the second season.
Old 2009-12-20, 13:15   Link #552
Worriors1
Spontaneous Retirement.

Quote:
Guess I'll have to say it again.

According to those in power, Taniguchi and Okouchi, R2 officially means "Reconstruction and Revolution", the two main themes present in the second season.
Hey, delusions for fans.
Ironically, this is why fanfiction exists. Glad R2 means something relating to the show. It makes sense when you think about it, heh. I guess when I first heard it I skipped it over.
Old 2009-12-20, 13:48   Link #553
Anime Daisuki

So this is ultimately going to be a spinoff with some ninja boy with metal arms?
Old 2009-12-20, 13:54   Link #554
Kuroshinobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
the random guy on the wooden wagon is laughing his ass of at this point
no more RR or LL's, he's RIP remember? discussing that again shouldn't be done in this thread

and a kid o.o;
you'd think CC has been through menopauze after all these hundreds of years, it's quite impossible that she would have some eggs left in her
I wasn't supporting nor trying to bring the argument back up. I was merely stating that it's easy to understand why people would assume what R2 means.
Kuroshinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 14:09   Link #555
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Daisuki View Post
So this is ultimately going to be a spinoff with some ninja boy with metal arms?
Well, the manga is anyway. There's no news about a new anime yet.
Old 2009-12-20, 21:24   Link #556
Commander 598
Zeonic

Send a message via AIM to Commander 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
ZZ is still part of the Gundam canon after all, as much as some would prefer otherwise.
However from I've heard ZZ isn't actually all that bad, only a handful of bad episodes in a ~50 episode series in which, ultimately, the biggest complaint is probably bad animation. UC canon can be spotty some times but ultimately reconcilable without much problem... I don't think any Gundam (Well, I'd be willing to bet CE has done something equally bad...and 00S2 had the dumb mass suicide clone thing that comes close) has done anything as bad as forgetting they had a lengthy scene involving the spamming of optically guided SAMs and an intro featuring overpowered F22esque air superiority fighters while the following season, only a year later, has critically undersized mecha swordfighting in mid air at the speed of sound with mass charges and still trumpeting the phrase "tactics" while a fleet of flying battleships flies out of a great black acquisitions plot hole and are promptly shot down at point blank range because the concept of defensive armament is a totally alien concept to them.

That is why I can't accept it as canon. Most of the events in R2 are simply impossible when the simplest of logic (And the previous season) is applied to them, to say nothing of the sensible things that were cut out so that they could willingly not make sense. Establishing that you have some pretty damn good anti-air ability and then pretending it never happened and the like is a pretty big worthy thing to me. I guess I'm too much of a military nerd to just accept things without having to type up lengthy rants on them. If they want my future attention they better be coming up with some damn good extra material to fill in these gaping plotholes.
Commander 598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 21:51   Link #557
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Is this a discussion about the new Geass series or a Generic Discussion?
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 01:16   Link #558
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Bunny View Post
Is this a discussion about the new Geass series or a Generic Discussion?
Not sure, I've seen it swing between whether Lelouch is alive or not and "what I'd like to see for third geass anime"
Old 2009-12-21, 02:53   Link #559
Laurcus
The black angel

Methinks we're chasing rabits here lol.
Old 2009-12-21, 10:47   Link #560
VanityWantsYou

If Lelouch and CC had a kid, I would have to say that both Lelouch AND CC would be milfs. Sorry, Lulu, but you're just so... gurly.
VanityWantsYou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mecha