AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-03, 20:10   Link #121
RedWing

I definitely saw some strong Christian themes of redemption and sacrifice with her character, but it's possible I'm over thinking it.

You can definitely see what the show was trying to do with her character - she was to be the exact opposite of Sayaka, showing the two directions that one could take as a MG.

Her back story, and the things we see with her after that are certainly meant to redeem her, to make her out as a good person who has merely lost their way rather than the selfish, heartless animal we are first introduced to. I say for the most part it has worked - Kyoko never really loses the firery spark in her to the end, despite her heel face turn - which is the sign that her character was genuine and could be related to. Are we to learn something from her realisation of the things that she has thrown away?

We are not given a true explanation of Sayaka's sacrifice, but I do not believe it to be reaching to make implications from what we are shown. We definitely see that Kyoko's whole scale destruction of Sayaka and herself leaves no Grief seed, in a way we can say it is a solution to the system.

But in the end was her noble sacrifice merely a suicide? I can definitely see that the show doesn't want us to feel that way but it's hard not to understand why Sayaka's self destruction must mean hers too. But looking closely we can see a very big theme of loneliness with the character which is expounded by how much she felt her and Sayaka to be similar and therefore likely to be friends had she not have lost her way. This is exaggerated by the juxtaposition of the fact that she acknowledges she and Homura could never be friends and her line of how it is sad to be alone, a condition she herself has evidently been plagued with for quite some time.

All in all I am quite shocked at how good Kyoko's character actually is and it's a sign that with a small enough cast and good storytelling you can create a very good, deep character in just a few episodes.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 20:55   Link #122
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Damn...when Kyouko made her first appearance in the series, she immediately became my favorite character. Even though she seemed evil when she was first introduced, I knew she wasn't entirely bad. I don't know why I like her so much, maybe its her personality, her ravenous appetite or food, her character design, her tragic backstory, or maybe its all of it. Either way, she's a great character to me, and this is further reinforced when she had a change of heart, and sacrificed herself in an attempt to save Sayaka.

Kyouko...and Sayaka, you both shall be missed.

May they both find peace in the afterlife...
Riga92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 21:16   Link #123
estdesoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
I definitely saw some strong Christian themes of redemption and sacrifice with her character, but it's possible I'm over thinking it.
Kyuko did come from a Priest family, so I suppose that did influenced her greatly. See how she prays before her death? Ah..what a heart breaking scene, even through we all know that her death is coming.

Kyoko is untimately saved, I believe so, as she did not become a witch. The same probably goes true for Mami. As for Sayaka..I don't know.
estdesoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 21:47   Link #124
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

She was my favorite character (though I'll admit that nothing is as classy as Homura's hair flips and coffee cup cap twists ).

On the one hand, I wanted to scream at her for sacrificing herself when I'm pretty sure she didn't have to, but on the other, I get it. I do. She wanted to end things on her own terms, and from her religious background, what better way then to do it in the hope she'd be able to keep Sayaka company as she killed them both.

Ah, Kyoko. The show isn't going to be the same without all the close ups of you munching away.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 21:51   Link #125
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Oh Kyoko.. I'd pour one out for you, but I don't have the food budget to do you justice.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 22:37   Link #126
Sekirei07

The worst WORST thing about it is they make it an absolute death so people can't hope she somehow lives. Her Soul Gem shatters right before the attack. Damnit all!
Old 2011-03-04, 00:07   Link #127
NeoEevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
The worst WORST thing about it is they make it an absolute death so people can't hope she somehow lives. Her Soul Gem shatters right before the attack. Damnit all!
I dunno. Personally, I can never believe a character is dead until I see a body. :/
NeoEevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 00:34   Link #128
Jimmy C

The "body" in question was shattered. She's not coming back.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 00:55   Link #129
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
The "body" in question was shattered. She's not coming back.
Probably not.

However, there is still a possibility. The Soul Gem is supposed to contain her life and her soul, yet she didn't drop dead the moment her Soul Gem shattered.

Perhaps her soul returned to her body for her final attack. If her body isn't destroyed clashing with Sayaka, she could still come back.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 01:24   Link #130
Seitsuki
Onee!

Am I the only one who saw mass parallels with Kiritsugu from F/Z? Idealistic hero of justice, turns into jaded cynical hero of pragmatism after seeing how impossible her ideals were and betrayed by those she trusted, meets someone who slowly warmed her up again, that person is turned to the dark side, she regains her original convictions and sacrifices herself. Or something like that.

Quote:
Perhaps her soul returned to her body for her final attack. If her body isn't destroyed clashing with Sayaka, she could still come back.
This is Shaft we're talking about here. With Urobuchi chucked in for good measure. Don't go around hoping for Disney endings

Last edited by Seitsuki; 2011-03-04 at 04:58.
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 01:37   Link #131
Shadow5YA

I said if her body isn't destroyed. It's a possibility, not a prediction.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 01:45   Link #132
Jimmy C

Remember, once a girl becomes a magical girl, the meat body is irrelevant. And the soul transfer is irreversible.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 10:09   Link #133
Golden Bug-Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Oh Kyoko.. I'd pour one out for you, but I don't have the food budget to do you justice.
That's just as well. She reacts poorly to throwing away food, right?

I think I can understand Kyoko's "suicide", if it really should be called that. I think it's more like, if Sayaka couldn't be saved, then she knew she was damned as well, so she resolved to save her or die trying. It's just that partway through, she realized Madoka wasn't getting through so it was going to be that second one.
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 11:19   Link #134
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

damn! i'm still mourning over kyoko...T_T
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 11:45   Link #135
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Remember, once a girl becomes a magical girl, the meat body is irrelevant. And the soul transfer is irreversible.
hmm apparently not, for madoka anyways. as she has the ability to warp the very laws of nature. if you can trust QB enough to believe that....

edit : but damn i do wish her back ;( i didn't really like her before but was suddenly warming up to her this episode. and finally liked her the moment she kissed and released her gem. she was so beautiful then.
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 11:54   Link #136
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Kyoko View Post
Please, God.... if this is how my life ends.... let me see a happy dream just once...

Looks at the face of God Urubochi Gen. UUUUUURUUUUUBOOOOCHIIIIIIII!!!!!!
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 14:58   Link #137
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Allow me to join the mourning of Kyoko here...wide style...
;___________________________; *sob sob sob*
OK, real question now. Have we been shown a fact of what happened to MG's soul gem after they die? Does QB still collect them anyway, or is this really the only peaceful way to go?
Old 2011-03-04, 15:17   Link #138
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Have we been shown a fact of what happened to MG's soul gem after they die?
They only die if the soul gem is destroyed, which is what happened with Kyoko's gem.
Old 2011-03-04, 15:39   Link #139
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Damn this series. There is no one likable left. We're at the "oh just blow up the freaking planet" point. I should have known the moment Kyoko became a good character they'd have to kill her. Madoka is the damn tag-along partner of death. Anyone that goes somewhere with that girl is going to die.

They have got to be going worse case scenario for this ending. Who knows maybe it'll lead to another time travel action by Homura.
Old 2011-03-04, 19:30   Link #140
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Damn this series. There is no one likable left. We're at the "oh just blow up the freaking planet" point. I should have known the moment Kyoko became a good character they'd have to kill her. Madoka is the damn tag-along partner of death. Anyone that goes somewhere with that girl is going to die.

They have got to be going worse case scenario for this ending. Who knows maybe it'll lead to another time travel action by Homura.
Haha, thar sounds about right.

And I am also leanig towad homura doing that.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters