AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-19, 09:29   Link #4421
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I think you misunderstand a little where I'm coming from. I just heard you say 1) You don't like the show and 2) Wished he analyzed other shows instead of this one. I am sorry if the conclusion I drew from this was in error.

See, you say you wat him to use "more intelligent shows", which I took to mean that shows you like are "intelligent" and this one is not, and therefore not worthy of being analyzed. Therefore I'm arguing that just because you don't like a show doesn't mean no one should analyze it.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand what you meant.
It's actually pretty simple:
  • I don't like every intelligent, nuanced and rich shows out there. I already gave you Haibane Renmei & Texhnolyze as examples of such shows that I'm not a fan of. But due to their rich, intelligent, artful and strong content, I think they still deserve deeper analyses regardless of my enthusiasm of those shows. That's something that I think FranXX lacks of.
  • I don't hate FranXX. Do I have to repeat that each time I post a comment in this thread? I think it's a passable mecha time-waster. There's no question that there are much worse mecha shows out there, but excuse me if I don't sing the gospel of FranXX because I think it's just...okay. Not great but not awful either. A perfectly entertaining mediocre show. Surely you can do a lot worse than that.

Quote:
But this is what happens when people use objective qualifiers to state something subjective. I get confused.
I guess you did not catch the first words that I said when I started my suggestion about what he should review next:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I honestly think........
So yeah, this is all what I think. I never force anyone to agree with me. I'm just voicing my impression of things here.
Old 2018-07-19, 10:27   Link #4422
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Some of you guys really enjoy arguing, huh?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 14:18   Link #4423
EroKing

NSFW
Lewd horn(y) action
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
NSFW
Rope play
NSFW
Bewbs

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-22 at 08:45.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 10:20   Link #4424
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Some of you guys really enjoy arguing, huh?
I'm... Not sure what you mean by that. Is there something wrong with having an honest discussion? And explaining yourself when you're misunderstood.. And asking for an explanation when you don't understand something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's actually pretty simple:
  • I don't like every intelligent, nuanced and rich shows out there. I already gave you Haibane Renmei & Texhnolyze as examples of such shows that I'm not a fan of. But due to their rich, intelligent, artful and strong content, I think they still deserve deeper analyses regardless of my enthusiasm of those shows. That's something that I think FranXX lacks of.
  • I don't hate FranXX. Do I have to repeat that each time I post a comment in this thread? I think it's a passable mecha time-waster. There's no question that there are much worse mecha shows out there, but excuse me if I don't sing the gospel of FranXX because I think it's just...okay. Not great but not awful either. A perfectly entertaining mediocre show. Surely you can do a lot worse than that.

I guess you did not catch the first words that I said when I started my suggestion about what he should review next:
So yeah, this is all what I think. I never force anyone to agree with me. I'm just voicing my impression of things here.
Other than the fact that I don't recall saying you hated it, nor do I recall saying I felt forced to agree, I think I have a bit of a handle of what you were saying. You don't think he shouldn't have done such an extensive analysis on this show, you are just interested in what he has to say about some other shows. I'm sorry for not understanding right away.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 10:22   Link #4425
foxbox360
New Age Badass

I guess the series jump the shark at the Virm revealed and gave us a open ending.
Old 2018-07-20, 11:34   Link #4426
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Other than the fact that I don't recall saying you hated it,
You said I dislike it. Dislike, hate, not fond of, same difference. Rather than dislike or hate, my feeling is rather mixed, meh, or so-so about it.

Quote:
nor do I recall saying I felt forced to agree
Not exactly referring to you, but to those reading this thread who feel insecure about my negative comments about FranXX to the point where they want me to stress that it's all just my opinion. And believe me, they exists.

Quote:
I think I have a bit of a handle of what you were saying. You don't think he shouldn't have done such an extensive analysis on this show, you are just interested in what he has to say about some other shows. I'm sorry for not understanding right away.
That's pretty much it. I think some shows deserve to get deep and thorough analyses more than some others. It has nothing to do with whether I like them or not.
Old 2018-07-20, 12:31   Link #4427
Blueknight78

going a "little off", here from him a video where he is asking what shows he must talk now:
YouTube
Old 2018-07-21, 13:48   Link #4428
Twi

Mmmm.... Mother's Basement did a video. Watch at your own risk:

YouTube
Old 2018-07-21, 15:55   Link #4429
wissenschaft

Its such a shame. I really loved this show up to ep 15. Sigh.
Old 2018-07-21, 17:11   Link #4430
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Nothing wrong with that video. I don't entirely agree with what he's saying but he's being completely fair.
Old 2018-07-21, 19:13   Link #4431
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I agreed with much of what he had to say.

I can't imagine investing all that time reviewing an anime, but he's good at what he does. I''m curious to see what other shows he has reviewed.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-29, 22:56   Link #4432
firemagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post

YouTube
A video in which he completely misses the meta narrative and retelling of the golden bough, and instead writes it off as "just another trigger show that pulls too heavily from other trigger shows," yet again proving that wrapping complex narratives and philosophical plot points into action/drama shows will be missed by most western (read: US) viewers.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that video. I don't entirely agree with what he's saying but he's being completely fair.
His criticism of the plot twists and buildup, as well as some of the writing quirks is fair, but his overall criticism is unfounded as it completely misses what Th8a (nearly on red) laid out in his analysis of the show.

Given how Mother's Basement reviewed Re:Creators, I'm honestly surprised that he treated Darling in the Franxx so harshly and that he missed the references to the broader heroic narrative (the golden bough) so thoroughly.

Last edited by LKK; 2018-07-30 at 09:11. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use the Edit button instead.
firemagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-29, 23:03   Link #4433
Twi

Don't double post within two minutes of yourself. You have an edit button.
Old 2018-07-29, 23:20   Link #4434
Vaans
NEET

The ending was okay for me.

With all that has happened, I just accepted it and move on.

http://coolfunnyquotes.com .”
Vaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 04:55   Link #4435
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
His criticism of the plot twists and buildup, as well as some of the writing quirks is fair, but his overall criticism is unfounded as it completely misses what Th8a (nearly on red) laid out in his analysis of the show.

Given how Mother's Basement reviewed Re:Creators, I'm honestly surprised that he treated Darling in the Franxx so harshly and that he missed the references to the broader heroic narrative (the golden bough) so thoroughly.
That's just like, his opinion, man.
Old 2018-07-30, 05:49   Link #4436
Sacredus

Quote:
A video in which he completely misses the meta narrative and retelling of the golden bough, and instead writes it off as "just another trigger show that pulls too heavily from other trigger shows," yet again proving that wrapping complex narratives and philosophical plot points into action/drama shows will be missed by most western (read: US) viewers.
1. All plot, world and character building was thrown into garbage by aliens
2. This is not even Trigger show, it's A1 anime that Trigger only helped with 6 or so episodes

First 15 episodes: 8/10
Episodes 16-20: 6/10
Episodes 21-24: 2/10
Overall 4/10
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 09:48   Link #4437
Twi

I might respect Nearly On Red for both his efforts and viewpoints, but I agree with Jeff on this one.
Old 2018-07-30, 10:25   Link #4438
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
But how many American schools utilize The Golden Bough as required reading nowadays? I graduated from college without having to read this.
Old 2018-07-30, 18:29   Link #4439
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Retelling of The Golden Bough? Are you sure this is not just people seeing things that simply aren't there? You can stare long enough at a slice of toasted bread until you see the face of Jesus, and you can play around with a plot long enough to think you're seeing analogies with existing myths and stories (especially considering how deep run some of the archetypes those stories use). Doesn't mean that something was intentionally put there by the author instead of being just a result of your imagination.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 19:11   Link #4440
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Retelling of The Golden Bough? Are you sure this is not just people seeing things that simply aren't there? You can stare long enough at a slice of toasted bread until you see the face of Jesus, and you can play around with a plot long enough to think you're seeing analogies with existing myths and stories (especially considering how deep run some of the archetypes those stories use). Doesn't mean that something was intentionally put there by the author instead of being just a result of your imagination.
It is not subtle, they practicality beat your head in with a sledgehammer made of mistletoe and the link between human fertility and that of the land. And if that is not enough they name drop the book as well.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote