AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters ~Refrain~ - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 16 34.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 27.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 12.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 17.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-28, 14:26   Link #21
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

First of all, let me also chime in with my relief at how the anime successfully enacted the true happy end of the VN while avoiding the stupid time-travel deus ex machina that plagued the ending the of the VN. Heck, just by removing that idiotic Maeda cop-out, that already makes the anime ending better than the VN's, but aside from a few forgettable mild issues, the last three episodes of the anime were just fantastically well-done. Frankly, I can't see modern KyoAni improving on them much if at all.

In terms of endings for Key anime, I'd probably rank this one as second-best right below Air's.

Here are the beach photos at the end of the episode for anyone interested. Mio's camera shyness is especially cute.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-12-28, 15:53   Link #22
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Well...with the anime done here's my quick thoughts:

Did I like the anime more than the VN?
Hell no, but that was to be expected...it had a huge hurdle before it.

Do I think the anime made the VN justice?
Not even close. While I don't believe it made it justice, I also don't believe it was a disgrace either.

Would I have changed anything in the plot choices in the anime?
OH God yes...all the yes...so much yes...

Did JC Staff do a good job?
Meh, decent enough...it got better in Refrain but they made a lot of decisions I do not agree with at all. The animation had its ups and downs, sound was ok (the nostalgia factor helped).

Did I enjoy the anime?
Yes, it was decent. The anime was nothing special or memorable for me (despite being the adaptation of my all-time favorite VN) but it wasn't bad either...it was in that middle ground with a couple of really spectacular episodes but with the rest being really, really average.

Overall...Meh...
Old 2013-12-28, 17:06   Link #23
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is where Riki somehow goes back to his birth and cures his narcolepsy in some sort of dream world,
Wait, that was happening literally?

I thought that was just a weird metaphor.
Old 2013-12-28, 17:14   Link #24
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
No Kiss? Keys not giving another couple a Kiss to remember.. T_T
Old 2013-12-28, 18:04   Link #25
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Since the anime ended I think there's no way I can spoil anything anymore, but here's a minor rant from a VN reader like me.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I wasn't very fond of this part in the VN, so this episode felt weak to me. Still, the added bits of Little Busters' interaction at the beach were great so despite the situation mentioned above, the episode managed to be enjoyable.
All things considered, Refrain was a good enough adaptation. I prefer the VN by a long shot, but the anime did a good job at telling the story.
Old 2013-12-28, 18:18   Link #26
MartianMage

So in the end they survived huh... it's hard to explain but somehow I feel that it doesn't fit IMO...

In any case... I'll say that at the very least I'm glad I sticked with LB Refrain... sure there are aspects that I really can't get into like the "Key Magic" but overall it's a good watch and at the very least it gave me some idea about the VN. Still have no plans on touching the VN though...
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2013-12-28, 18:28   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Since the anime ended I think there's no way I can spoil anything anymore, but here's a minor rant from a VN reader like me.

Spoiler:
That sounds absolutely awful. After reading this, I have a better appreciation of the anime ending. It makes sense and there is little to no bullshit. I can buy that Riki was able to overcome his narcolepsy through sheer force of will alone since it was explained it was a psychological rather than neurological problem (my understanding is that it actually wasn't narcolepsy).

The VN ending, on the other hand, is easily just as bad as Clannad if not worse. I'm glad the anime staff decided to make these changes, I would been very mad if they had remained faithful to the novel. Never thought I'd say this but... good job, J.C Staff.
Old 2013-12-28, 18:31   Link #28
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

cmon guys its a happy ending. Don't overthink it. I was satisfied with the ending.
Old 2013-12-28, 18:38   Link #29
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Also,if I remember correctly (in the VN) Kurugaya had the most injuries out of everyone aside from Kyousuke, far more than the others as she took longer to get out of the hospital (not Kengo) which to many implied that during the crash she did something similar to Masato and Kengo to the other girls or something of the like.
This is of course speculation, but the extent of her injuries was something the anime didn't mention.
Old 2013-12-28, 18:40   Link #30
SeaDoor

We got a Good End! I'm satisfied.
Old 2013-12-28, 18:51   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Going into this episode, I was prepared to hate it. I was prepared for a horribly out-of-nowhere forced happy ending, based on how last episode ended.

To my considerable relief, the narrative did a surprisingly good job of transitioning to a very happy ending after spending so much time clearly building up to a decidedly bittersweet/tragic one.

The way the narrative did this was two-fold...

1) Finally, Riki's Narcolepsy, a seemingly important recurring element that many of us nonetheless found kinda obnoxious and/or laughable, was used very well.

2) Adding a deeper meaning to the idea of Riki "surpassing" Kyousuke.

By clearly tying these two recurring elements into Riki and Rin successfully saving everyone, the ending manages to at least feel like it did not come absolutely out of nowhere. In order for Riki to save his friends, he had to overcome his recurring weakness - His narcolepsy. And that narcolepsy was directly tied into him panicking during a truly terrible personal tragedy. So to get a better result with this horrific vehicular accident, Riki had to overcome a weakness that plagued him in a previous one.

Riki also had to "surpass" Kyousuke in maintaining hope in rescuing his friends, something that Kyousuke himself clearly never imagined possible.

So, kudos to JC Staff for decently managing something that is pretty hard to manage - And that's completely changing tone in the last episode and a half of an anime show.

That being said, I probably would have respected this ending a little bit more if it had stuck to the theme of how it's important for people to become emotionally strong enough to overcome great personal loss (since just about all of us will face that at one time or another in our lives).

My one other major critique is based on how one of my fields of training is Occupational Health and Safety. Part of that training involves learning about Emergency Preparedness, and how best to respond to emergencies just like this one. My background here is part of the reason why I really didn't like how neither Riki or Rin called emergency services last episode. The fact they didn't do that this episode either does exasperate me a bit, I have to be honest there.

Riki and Rin are heroes, but what they did in this episode was absolutely reckless in the extreme. They never called for emergency help, they tried to do everything themselves, and they even took a major risk with a freaking gas leak. I really hope that nobody considers this a good example of how to respond to a major emergency involving a major vehicular accident.

However, this is still a reasonably well-executed happy ending, and that is a treat in itself. It was very nice to see more scenes of the full Little Busters gang, including all the girls, including all of them alive and well.

I'll give this finale a 8/10.
Old 2013-12-28, 20:30   Link #32
ChampDream
Alive

the ending was good for me, with Riki and Rin both doing a miracle to rescue their friends.
the only think was that it make me wonder if Kyosuke love Riki more then Rin.
Old 2013-12-28, 20:42   Link #33
GDB

Only thing that got me was how fine Kyousuke was in the end. I'm not even talking about the "someone should've died" thing. He was comatose for at least three months, right? Shouldn't his muscles have atrophied quite a lot? To the point that he could walk, but not even run, let alone climb a wall or backflip into a room?
Old 2013-12-28, 21:09   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only thing that got me was how fine Kyousuke was in the end. I'm not even talking about the "someone should've died" thing. He was comatose for at least three months, right? Shouldn't his muscles have atrophied quite a lot? To the point that he could walk, but not even run, let alone climb a wall or backflip into a room?
I have mixed feelings here. If a slightly smiling Kyousuke had slowly come walking in on crutches, clearly his body weak and still recovering, while a couple of the LBs starting weeping openly at his return (say... Komari and Kud), I would have teared up as well. I could feel myself getting emotional at the thought of his return.

But the way he returned was too fabulous for that sort of emotionality, lol. His return was extremely cool and swashbuckling. It was fun! But it's not as emotional as it could have been, so yeah, mixed feelings.
Old 2013-12-28, 21:15   Link #35
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
the power of friendship
Old 2013-12-28, 21:16   Link #36
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I loved the change the made with Riki at the beginning from the novel that improved a lot of what was missing before. Also wtf with how about already doing Kick the Can that was unfair!

Overall they did a really good job with this last episode, except they omitted the hospital scene.

I agree with some people saying there should have been some casualties. I really agree with this. Though we did have one in the series that was highly overlooked was Miyuki Koshiki I believe she deserves a spin off.

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Just a reply:

Quote:
From what I got was that it took almost a year for him to come back. When Riki said it is autumn and then he said summer later on. So I know it must have been a long time. The back-flip was not needed though.
Old 2013-12-28, 21:40   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post

I agree with some people saying there should have been some casualties. I really agree with this. Though we did have one in the series that was highly overlooked was Miyuki Koshiki I believe she deserves a spin off.
I have mixed feelings here too.

Having a couple casualties would have made it feel a bit more ballsy, and would have still kept (a little bit) to the theme of Riki/Rin learning to be emotionally strong after enduring painful personal loss.

OTOH, it can easily create a nasty "Am I supposed to be happy or sad?" clash (honestly, I felt this way about Gurren Lagann's ending, for reasons I'll get into in PMs if anybody wants me to). It's also a huge kick in the gut for fans of the specific character(s) that don't pull through. I mean, imagine Kuruguya is the lone casualty. That would be really harsh for some fans here, I think.

So I'm honestly leaning towards "If you're going to have Riki play the Big Damn Hero then go all the way with it. Don't half-ass things. Either keep it BITTERsweet, or make it sweet indeed!"
Old 2013-12-28, 21:42   Link #38
taichi-kun

Quote:
It was riki's dream,they all died with the explosion.(?)
Old 2013-12-28, 21:54   Link #39
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
Actually there are theories that this happened, just like in Clannad.
Old 2013-12-28, 22:02   Link #40
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
Yeah, we can totally take it like that. The ending of the first 15 minutes was ambiguous enough. And Kyousuke in the 2nd half is too genki for all that have happened

Though I think people would rather look at the more positive interpretation, so whatever

Not that I don't like the happy end, but I do want Key to go with a real ballsy ending in their "Dying World" line of work. The other Key works that don't belong to this line all have more bittersweet endings
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Closed Thread