Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-04, 08:11   Link #81
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
I have a bad feeling that 'Grandma' will die. Ruko need some motivation to win right?

I also hope I will be wrong.
I have to say, a grandmother who designs a custom Tetris level was the highlight of the episode for me . She looks quite the savvy granny. Though she wasn't characterized much beyond that.

Also, am I the only one who rolled his eyes at "you need to make friends -> here, take this SUPER UBER POPULAR CARD GAME that will surely help you make the truest of friends" ? That smelled of toy commercial so bad .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 08:44   Link #82
ValvraveTruth

Interesting

Everthing seems fine and the op not bad at all. As we have watch tons of anime, we can see this anime is going to get very DARK if you know what i mean. Whats more the twin sister love brother cliche, i kinda think the brother will like the MC Ruko and? deadly killing between Ruko and Yuzuki?
ValvraveTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 08:50   Link #83
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvraveTruth View Post
Everthing seems fine and the op not bad at all. As we have watch tons of anime, we can see this anime is going to get very DARK if you know what i mean. Whats more the twin sister love brother cliche, i kinda think the brother will like the MC Ruko and? deadly killing between Ruko and Yuzuki?
What about Yuzuki wishing for her brother to love her back, only to discover that he's now a mindless drone whose only thought and desire is that to be with her but that has lost all his own will and character? That's the kind of wish granting you'd see from Fate/Zero's Holy Grail .

Old 2014-04-04, 08:57   Link #84
ookamigirl

I like Ru's little family ^^
So far it looks nice.
I'm kinda skeptical about the whole card game thing though.
The incident with the card was kinda LOL
Looks like this anime has some serious potential to be great!
The hints they were throwing got me interested.
Think I might give this one a few more episodes before I decide.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 09:01   Link #85
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I was more disturbed by the fact that they're playing those cards in the open, at lunch break, at the cafeteria, where presumably other teachers are also eating their lunch a few tables from them.

If it happened in my school, there would have been a week long investigation as to what type of cards those girls were playing, whether it had objectionable content, those who were caught playing it would be interrogated, the cards would be confiscated (without any hope of return), parents will be summoned, announcements about the "offense" will be posted in bulletin boards around the school, until finally a week long suspension will be given out and those caught will be placed on strict surveillance by teachers months after the incident.

that's why we had secret signals, secret spots, false bottoms in our school bags and look-outs whenever we brought our pokemon cards and battle at school
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 09:25   Link #86
Birdway
Banned

I know that, my friends gathering at places away from teachers in order to play cards (poker, yo gi oh, etc) or videogames.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 09:55   Link #87
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
It's not so much the setup or the characters that give me a Madoka vibe, but rather the directional style. The camera angles and quick cuts to various backgrounds are highly reminiscent of what Shaft did for Madoka. This is especially apparent because it's not a style that JC staff normally uses for their shows. The show is also paced slower like Madoka.

Then there's the pastel like colors, and the way the lighting is set up for normal/dream-scape shots, the use of various filters. All of it combined just feels similar to Madoka.
The style felt more like Another and Shin Sekai Yori to me, both of which used all the techniques you list without being anything like Madoka. (I also didn't notice any pastels - it was all greys and browns with some reds and all the other colors muted.)
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 10:05   Link #88
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I was more disturbed by the fact that they're playing those cards in the open, at lunch break, at the cafeteria, where presumably other teachers are also eating their lunch a few tables from them.

If it happened in my school, there would have been a week long investigation as to what type of cards those girls were playing, whether it had objectionable content, those who were caught playing it would be interrogated, the cards would be confiscated (without any hope of return), parents will be summoned, announcements about the "offense" will be posted in bulletin boards around the school, until finally a week long suspension will be given out and those caught will be placed on strict surveillance by teachers months after the incident.

that's why we had secret signals, secret spots, false bottoms in our school bags and look-outs whenever we brought our pokemon cards and battle at school
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THOSE CARDS, MISS?!?"

"I'm... playing a children's card game..."

"UNACCEPTABLE! I'LL CONFISCATE THEM IMMEDIATELY!"

"But it's not like I enjoy it! I'm only doing so in order to get the magical power to grant my wish of having my brother pork me!"

"Oh, then it's okay. Go on."

Old 2014-04-04, 10:23   Link #89
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post

I'd prefer that to what I got in High school where we were far more likely to be target of jibes from our peers than discipline from our teachers. Thankfully that wasn't too much of an issue since we hung out in the library like the nerds we were. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 10:27   Link #90
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, I also definitely get a Madoka Magica vibe with this show.

Not so much with the characters - They're fairly different from the PMMM main cast, at least so far - But rather with the tone and atmosphere and some of the ideas/terminology being explored. All this talk of wishes, literally fighting for your wish, and achieving an idealized self - This all vividly reminds me of Madoka Magica.

So my hope is that this show might be to "children's card game shows" what Madoka Magica is to "magical girl". Only time will tell, though.

A very solid opening episode that shows a lot of promise, imo.

Edit: When I was a high-schooler in the 90s, it wasn't uncommon for kids to be playing Magic: The Gathering in the cafeteria during lunch hour, for those who didn't go home for lunch. I myself played it some times. Teachers never really had a problem with it, so I could easily relate to the 'out and open' card-playing here.
Old 2014-04-04, 12:31   Link #91
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
It's not so much the setup or the characters that give me a Madoka vibe, but rather the directional style. The camera angles and quick cuts to various backgrounds are highly reminiscent of what Shaft did for Madoka. This is especially apparent because it's not a style that JC staff normally uses for their shows. The show is also paced slower like Madoka.

Then there's the pastel like colors, and the way the lighting is set up for normal/dream-scape shots, the use of various filters. All of it combined just feels similar to Madoka. Whereas if you look at Genei wo kakeru taiyou, even though it has the same kind of light/dark split between the real world and the battle world, the resemblance isn't really strong at all. Finally, the music and sound effects give me the same feel I did while watching Madoka.

When you combine all of these elements, as well as the basic setup, it heavily gives off the Madoka vibe, which is a bit unfortunate as I think people will compare it with Madoka with a bias against the show. The first episode was interesting enough, but I think the show probably would have benefited more by distancing itself from Madoka.

All seriousness aside, Tama is totally the Kyubei of this show.
I agree with you that there are SOME similarities between Shinbo and Satou's directional style, but I personally feel that those similarities have a lot to do with both of them just being good directors and using an efficient style of shot blocking.

That being said, I think there are some HUGE differences between these shows and I think most of them have nothing to do with the visual style:

Spoiler for Comparison to Madoka Magica:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
For your information, I haven't read any blogs or anything on this show. Madoka Magica was my immediate impression when I watched the trailer and it was further strengthened when I watched the première. And I think it's disingenuous to say the similarities are only superficial. How many shows have you seen start off with young moe girls being attracted to a magical side that turns out to be incredibly dark and suffering? It doesn't help that the whole "cute girls suffering" appears to be a major point in this show, just as it was the whole point in Madoka Magica.
Hmmm, moe characters, magical powers, dark powers, how many others have I seen?

Show about cute characters that are forced to suffer due to supernatural (or super-technological) events?

Spoiler for Comparison to a whole bunch of other anime; spoilers inherent, at your own risk:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-04 at 13:16. Reason: added spoiler tags
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 14:04   Link #92
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
I agree with you that there are SOME similarities between Shinbo and Satou's directional style, but I personally feel that those similarities have a lot to do with both of them just being good directors and using an efficient style of shot blocking.
Stein's Gate's first episode feels nothing like Madoka despite using similar techniques. Every thing I said above has been done in other anime, but it's the combination of all of it, and the fact that it's in the same 'genre' as Madoka that make it feel similar.

[quote]

That being said, I think there are some HUGE differences between these shows and I think most of them have nothing to do with the visual style:

Well, I was going by episode 1 impressions. At that point you don't know that the girls have to give up their humanity for their wishes, nor do you know that Kyubey is an emotionless logic machine bent on harvesting the girl's despair. I also said 'all seriousness aside' for the Kyubei comment, which meant I said it more as a joke. But Tama does look very similar to what 'human' versions of Kyubei look like in fanart, especially with her colors scheme. The 'nightmare' Ru has of Tama also totally feels like the nightmare fuel renditions of Kyubei you see fanart. All of this could just be a coincidence but with all the other signs it just does feel like they did it intentionally.

Quote:

Show about cute characters that are forced to suffer due to supernatural (or super-technological) events?

Spoiler for Comparison to a whole bunch of other anime; spoilers inherent, at your own risk:
I've seen most of those shows and the only one that resembles Madoka in 'feel' is Uta Kata (at least initially), and in Uta Kata's case the story and theme are quite different. If you score the similarities, out of 10, I'd say most of those shows fall between 2-5, whereas WIXOSS is definitely more like a 7-8.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 14:06   Link #93
Triple_R
*Author

@NinjaRealist - I think there are significant similarities between this show and Madoka Magica that you are overly downplaying. I also think that your assessment of Madoka Magica is simply off on some points. So I'm going to address that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post

Quote:
I think you're missing Haak's point. It's not just these bare ingredients that's key, it's also how they come across when brought together.

Some of the shows you listed don't give anywhere near as dark/serious/sober a feel as either this show or Madoka Magica.
Old 2014-04-04, 14:55   Link #94
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Just watched it a while ago and agree about the similarities in Madoka but just the atmosphere alone and some little bit dark vibes, aside from that instead of a Yu-gi-oh similarity the design are much similar to Angelic Layer before specially when they are battling. So in short it really looks like a darker version of angelic layer..
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2014-04-04, 15:21   Link #95
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Don't think I'll watch this.....this really a card game anime.

And the girls don't give me a "WOW" factor at all.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 15:41   Link #96
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think it just reflects the success Madoka had that a seemingly (isn't that bad from episode 1) dark anime with young girls and supernatural elements is going to draw the Madoka comparisons. Not that I don't see where some of them are coming from, not sure I'd say there is a massive similarity either. Plenty of series have got elements that you'd attribute to this show at this early stage.

At this point it's a tournament style series with a dark atmosphere. Right now this thing has more in common with the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh than Madoka.

As things stand this situation hardly seems to be that bad. The only concerning bit is whether some jerk wins who wants to end the world or become a god or something.
Old 2014-04-04, 20:18   Link #97
SeaDoor

I'm not sure that having this show go dark and drive the girls to despair would be the best approach for selling a card game. Perhaps, they only intends to make a few oblique references to Madoka/BRS to up the coolness factor and no one will get so involved they lose their head.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 20:26   Link #98
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
I'm not sure that having this show go dark and drive the girls to despair would be the best approach for selling a card game. Perhaps, they only intends to make a few oblique references to Madoka/BRS to up the coolness factor and no one will get so involved they lose their head.
Is this an actual real-life card game that we're seeing here, though? As it is in Yu-Gi-Oh? Or is this a purely fictional card game created strictly for this anime?
Old 2014-04-04, 20:48   Link #99
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Is this an actual real-life card game that we're seeing here, though? As it is in Yu-Gi-Oh? Or is this a purely fictional card game created strictly for this anime?
According to wikipedia the card game is slated to be released April 26th. I mean, if you're going to include a card game in your anime you might as well capitalize it to sell some merchandise right?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 21:15   Link #100
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

[QUOTE=Esclair;5069665]Stein's Gate's first episode feels nothing like Madoka despite using similar techniques. Every thing I said above has been done in other anime, but it's the combination of all of it, and the fact that it's in the same 'genre' as Madoka that make it feel similar.

Quote:

Well, I was going by episode 1 impressions. At that point you don't know that the girls have to give up their humanity for their wishes, nor do you know that Kyubey is an emotionless logic machine bent on harvesting the girl's despair. I also said 'all seriousness aside' for the Kyubei comment, which meant I said it more as a joke. But Tama does look very similar to what 'human' versions of Kyubei look like in fanart, especially with her colors scheme. The 'nightmare' Ru has of Tama also totally feels like the nightmare fuel renditions of Kyubei you see fanart. All of this could just be a coincidence but with all the other signs it just does feel like they did it intentionally.
Well, to be fair, with those comparisons I was taking what I know of a completed series (Madoka) and comparing it to what I expect to happen in an incomplete series (WIXOSS). We won't really know how similar these shows are until WIXOSS is over.

Quote:
I've seen most of those shows and the only one that resembles Madoka in 'feel' is Uta Kata (at least initially), and in Uta Kata's case the story and theme are quite different. If you score the similarities, out of 10, I'd say most of those shows fall between 2-5, whereas WIXOSS is definitely more like a 7-8.
My point isn't that those shows are similar to Madoka, my point is that a lot of those shows are more similar to WIXOSS than Madoka.

Spoiler:

Tags
game, proxy battles