AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Zero no Tsukaima

Notices

View Poll Results: Zero no Tsukaima (second series) - Episode 12 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 51 26.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 19.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 15.10%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 10.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 10.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 5.73%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 3.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 3.13%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.04%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 3.65%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-01, 05:09   Link #161
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akida View Post
Is it me or does albion somehow have about 100x more mages than Tristain...yet they thought tristain would win the war -until the brainwashing of henrietta's troops-? wide gaping random loophole out of nowhere

The episode lost points with the poorly executed change of moods in the last 3 minutes. Of course, there was a laugh from me when I noticed how the music changed according to the mood, but it just went totally the wrong way (I don't think there is a good way to change that mood from the start)
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-01, 05:57   Link #162
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I told before and my opinion stands the same - despite the fact that season 1 looked so much better, season 1 was actually already digging its own grave. The reason why we didnt see it screwing up badly was because of its short length.

Why I Say so?

Season 1 turned ZnT into a comedy. Sure first two volumes of novels of ZnT are probably the most comic ones but it still had serious moments... You see ZnT originality lies in a very interesting shift of mood - from serious to comic ones, yet not destroying the flow of the story itself (something that season 2 tried to do, but failed miserably).

Thats why they simply had to make ZnT second season more comical than the novels were because it would look way off compared to lighthearted season1. But for that they needed fillers or more pervered jokes,, and as we all saw they are not very good at original jokes.

Season 1 made a big mistake by not showing us Wales arc more closely, since it was very serious discussion about what is worth diying and living for. the most ironic part is that Louise was against dying for honor there since according to her "Living for the person you love" is the most important. Its very ironic since later she herself takes the same Wales position.

For example heres A scene from the novels
Spoiler for rough translation:

why was this and almost all of Wales arc scenes ignored in season 1? My guess is that they were too serious... I mean for the bigger part of anime season we had just pointlessly running around , doing nothing but comedy and here - bam we have discussion about serious things and people getting ready to die... This would have been bit too much... Of course I held the opinion that they should have included serious moments prior that so that it would follow ZnT more truly and wouldnrt have problems later...

But its just me... The decided to go for comedy only instead of giving us some serious scenes. This and short length are the main killers, in my opinion, of Zero No Tsukaima anime... Well for seciond season we should also add a very poor director to that as well...
As for saito's arm

Spoiler for novels:

There was no such scene in anime which is a little bit of pity since it led to
Spoiler for Novels:

There were of course much more scenes that Season number one ignored totally, but because it had more freedom than season number 2 and because the director wasn't so bad it still managed to give us satisfying resslt, though many novels would probably agree that it could still have been better... and longer.
Old 2007-10-01, 19:15   Link #163
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well they built up an incredibly beautiful and nicely touching episode here....Then promptly blew it out of the water in the last few minutes...

Ayaya...Im going to pray for a third season because that was just way too pathetic of a way to end the series...I mean is it absolutely necessary to hit the reset button on those two anytime they make some progress? Bah...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-10-04, 09:33   Link #164
chrono12
PPP

Just watch the last ep & the overall feeling I had for this ep is rushed as i personally feel that Saito's fight should be lengthened or they should emphasize the fact that he's taking out the leadership of Albion army. The main aim of Saito would be to fight a rearguard action, so as to buy time for Tristain's forces, citizens to retreat and to allow a safe distance to render any pursuit harmless. The way the ep is shown, it seems like Saito is trying to take out the whole Albion army IMO, which may mislead some people, hence the emphasize on the taking out of the leadership together with the resulting chaos faced by the Albion army would be better.

I find it impressive at the way he blocked most of the arrows but the fact that some arrows got through only highlights the extreme odds he's facing and how he flash back his memories with Louise at that moment. Taken together with the flowers "Eclair D'amour", Saito wish of not dying, how the couple shouted out each other name at the dying of Saito, it have much impact and is very touching.

While a lot of people feels that this ep screwed things up for future eps, I think there's still some hope of salvaging it. First of all, the last part in the ep at the school, nothing is said about how long had passed since the retreat from Albion. Henrietta, being the queen of Tristain, will have a lot of matters to look into, after the retreat, so I don't think that scene happened immediately. I estimate a few weeks to have passed before that scene (not as long as in the novel but at least it'll allow some leeway as to what happen to Saito after he got mass bombarded, & more about the elf in future eps). Not to mention, they also didn't explain how did Saito escape from Albion, so maybe this will form the main plot for the start of season 3.

I giving this ep a 7. 3 points was deducted as the ending is rushed imo, not enough being done to animate Saito fight as explained above together with the appearance of Saito in the end. It'll be much better if the ep end in the cliffhanger, with Saito missing but the flower blooming again. Of course Noto as the seiiyuu for the elf is a bonus for me.
Old 2007-10-04, 13:15   Link #165
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

@Darknemo2000 - Wow thank you for taking the time to translate that part of the novel. Even though it is such a small part it does deliver far more emotional impact then the anime I am sad to say. I so want there to be a translation of the novels as I do believe that the concept of the story and the characters are wunniful.
Old 2007-10-05, 02:07   Link #166
Darknemo2000

Asa I said due to anime and due to first two volumes of novels people somehow think that ZnT is mostly about comedy. While of course it always has comedy and some fanservice (mind word SOME, not like in anime where the director still hasn't gotten over his puberty period) it is quite serious series as well. No, there are more serious ones as well but it does well in its own accord too.

Well ok the last volume 12 of ZnT novels was really pathetic as it was mostly made for fanservice and comedy ( find it to be the weakest volume from all ZnT volumes I have read so far), but usually it does a good job without going overboard.

ZnT first season screwed up because it ignored the serious part of it, leaving ZnT 2 season to deal with it, but because rather pathetic directors work it didnt turned out well. He had a certain burden from first season since he simply could not keep the same atmosphere as first season as first season used the bigger part of best comedy scenes from volumes that it should have not covered (like love potion episode) leaving second season basically empty handed so far as comedy goes.

They needed to make original comedy. It wouldnt have been that bad if we would not have had the director that is still struggling to overcome his puberty period and thinks that tit-jokes will make a greatest hit out of anime. So he put those everywhere, following the logic - the more the better.

In a sense it had same silly feeling of first season, but he greatly overdid with it. Some scenes should have been just left the way as they are without perverted jokes or same Louise-explodes-on-Saito ending.

This particular episode would have been good if it would have ended with cliffhanger, but they chose to over rushed it, skipping an volume 8 in general and even giving tit-joke in the end with the same boring Louise-explodes-on-Saito ending...

I still think that re-doing series would be the best way... Who knows... If fans will keep on being so "satisfied" as they are now, they might even re-do it someday. Hope dies last, no matter how pathetically weak it is, I guess...
Old 2007-10-06, 00:03   Link #167
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?

Quote:
Well they built up an incredibly beautiful and nicely touching episode here....Then promptly blew it out of the water in the last few minutes...
Sir, I couldn't have said it any better!

Mind you I didn't even like the first episode (and I haven't seen season 1), and the second episode was also stupid but somehow I got hooked up CoughYouTubeConvenience&FastStreamingCough and the more I watched the more I thought it was an ok anime. However, in the first episode Saito said he was in "war"! Ironically enough, this said war wasn't shown properly and the moments where he uses his so called legendery powers are so scarce and short all over the series!

And then the last episode!

I thought it was the best episode and no more of those overdone moments of whipping or stupid boobs remarks until I saw the last min! That was so unforgivable!

Spoiler for Last Moments:

I give this ep. 2/10 for the horrible end! it shows how a few poorly made moments at the end can screw things up! Overall, the series gets 5/10 from me.

I almost started to like Louise. I almost felt that "At last! It was about time you two get along seriously" but WTF?

Last edited by Anima; 2007-10-06 at 00:15.
Old 2007-10-06, 01:20   Link #168
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Personally I think the show should be re-named to "A Sado and Her Masochist"
Old 2007-10-06, 01:46   Link #169
Darknemo2000

Or it could be "Kou You's puberty struggles" as its pretty clear that director hasnt gone through puberty yet and thing that tiot-jokes are funny even if repeated over and over again...

This series illustrates that...Sadly...
Old 2007-10-06, 21:56   Link #170
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?

I just wasted 6 straight hours to watch the first season. But to my astonishment, the first season was way WAY better than the second one IMO! (tho the last episode was also a bit stupid but not like this season's one!)
I liked how the relationships developed between various characters tho I hated some of the unjustified pure fanservice.

So now I am even more disappointed that the first season was good and the second one was like that! I've never seen an anime that uses the word "baka" or "inu" that much! so I will add my naming suggestion to be: "Let's Meet the Baka!" or "The Inu of Louise".

Now that I think about season two, I wonder what was it all about? It's more like one very lengthy episode of Louise struggling to overcome her "nobility" to express her feelings to Saito and Saito failing to hide his interest in big-breasted girls in front of Louise to get his ass handed to him. I don't say that there wasn't other events but they were overshadowed by that theme so much.

So if there was a third season (which I think will happen) then I will proceed with caution! xD

Last edited by Anima; 2007-10-06 at 23:40.
Old 2007-10-07, 12:44   Link #171
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Yay, Saito falls. That means there'll be a 3rd season, like it or not.
Old 2007-10-17, 05:17   Link #172
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

I quite enjoyed this last ep... I guess watching through 11ep of crappy boob jokes, make this ep shine even more... Seriously from the wedding part too the final moments of him lying on the floor as the army around him starts glowing.. It was magical! This ep was so good that I thought to myself is this really Zero no Tsukaima the crappy second season? The piano version of "I Say Yes" set the mood perfectly and if you think back to the lyrics you'll see the irony in Saito's decision, but it also makes it alot more potent..

The fight between the 70 000 was just epic and is exactly what I had imagined it from the book...

Certainly the last few minutes did ruin the mood that was built up starting from the wedding.. But I can forgive them for that, for giving me those 10 or so minutes of pure drama (that i'm not ashamed to say, I did shed a few tears)...

I also have a question, is there an OST CD for Zero no Tsukaima second season? I definitely going to get it, and fingers crossed for a third season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
Spoiler:
By the way I think you've made a mistake in your comment, the 70k soldiers were wholly Albion, not the minions..

You even saw in the anime that Saito was finishing off the minions in the town before facing the actualy Albion army.

Last edited by holyman282; 2007-10-17 at 23:40.
Old 2007-10-17, 13:05   Link #173
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
I quite enjoyed this last ep... I guess watching through 11ep of crappy boob jokes, make this ep shine even more... Seriously from the wedding part too the final moments of him lying on the floor as the army around him starts glowing.. It was magical! This ep was so good that I thought to myself is this really Zero no Tsukaima the crappy second season? The piano version of Stay With Me set the mood perfectly and if you think back to the lyrics you'll see the irony in Saito's decision, but it also makes it alot more potent..

The fight between the 70 000 was just epic and is exactly what I had imagined it from the book...

Certainly the last few minutes did ruin the mood that was built up starting from the wedding.. But I can forgive them for that, for giving me those 10 or so minutes of pure drama (that i'm not ashamed to say, I did shed a few tears)...

I also have a question, is there an OST CD for Zero no Tsukaima second season? I definitely going to get it, and fingers crossed for a third season...

By the way I think you've made a mistake in your comment, the 70k soldiers were wholly Albion, not the minions..

You even saw in the anime that Saito was finishing off the minions in the town before facing the actualy Albion army.
I was talking about the novel

Last edited by mist2123; 2007-10-17 at 15:44.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:18   Link #174
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Old 2007-10-25, 12:19   Link #175
jouttex
nana-chan fangirl

Fight was lame.

But it was still a better episode compared to the previous 11. I got pretty emotional too while watching Louise's tears...
....but still, *cough*Saitoshouldhavediedforreal*cough*

And Mamiko Noto as a guest star? WIN.
Old 2007-11-02, 08:58   Link #176
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouttex View Post
And Mamiko Noto as a guest star? WIN.
To me, that's the best part of this whole episode - yousei-san!

Other than that, i think it varies quite a bit from the novel, which would perhaps create some problems of continuation later if there were a season three.
Old 2007-11-04, 20:14   Link #177
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
Spoiler for About saito at the end...:
The comic ending was apt, the series itself is largely based around comedy, so I think it was cool.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-04, 21:29   Link #178
Aquifina

I finally got around to seeing this. I never take ZnT very seriously, and although this ep. actually had its moments, it really was something of a catastrophe for me. Too much whiplash--the fight scene struck me as a bit silly--and although the emotional power of it made up for it, along with the high-quality animation--Saito's sudden return to life was just too drastic. It was never explained, for example, why the flower wilting *wasn't* an accurate indicator of Saito's death--which leaves the possibility that the elf had actually revived him from death. And while Louise going all apeshit again was funny, it just didn't fit, for all the reasons enumerated here.

Although I was disappointed with Shana II ep. 5 (all the previous ones have been good, though, IMO), ZnT II really does make me appreciate Shana even more.
Old 2007-11-05, 03:00   Link #179
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Okay, I just watched ZnT 2, and all I have to say is that even though the ending purely sucked, Shana (and Yuji for that matter) had nothing to do with Louise and Saito and their problems. Don't even think about bringing Shana into this.
Old 2007-11-05, 03:04   Link #180
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

The ending was good up till a certain point, but I did feel the drama in the ending, especially saito's sacrifice for Louise. Most people simply hated it because of the last three minutes where basically it went from touching drama to stupid S&M comedy.

I still wouldn't say the ending was crap, it isn't without it's merit and Saito fighting the 70 000 was quite touching actually, made me shed a drop of tear. This coming from a person who already knows the end result of the fight against the 70000 (that is Saito survives) but it didn't make it any less dramatic.. It was nicely done and the music during that scene was nicely done also.