AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-02-18, 04:28   Link #1
PiePants

Talking Gah too many fansubs; not enough time

Fansubs are supposed to be free, right? So I was wondering if it would be okay to request fansubs burned on DVD-roms and mailed to me. Charge something like 3$ for each DVD-rom, plus the cost of S&H. Is that possible? If so, I'm looking to have One Piece on DVD-roms.

Um...in order to not make this an open request or something, perhaps we can make this into a thread debating the merits of 'selling' fansubs without profit. I think it's okay; just charge the cost of production without adding on any additional fees like wages or what-not. I don't see it as profitting off fansubbers at all. What do you think?
PiePants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 05:20   Link #2
Forse
r00t for life

Well in Russia it's REALLY popular. I mean you can get just about any movie mailed to you on DVD (just divx/xvid burned on DVD with subs) for like 5-15$. But I am not sure if it will work in countries where anime is licensed.
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 05:23   Link #3
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

if u use google... you will find such individuals who do this type of thing...

imo... don't pay for stuff even if it's just for the cost of the disc... if you're patient, you'll get the stuff off bt for sure... i say dl all the stuff u want to watch b4 u go to sleep... then u wake up and go to school/work... by the time u get home in the afternoon/evening, your dls will be done... one piece batches took less than a day for me to complete downloading...

Last edited by Prince of Chronics; 2004-02-18 at 05:24. Reason: grammar!
Prince of Chronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 07:20   Link #4
PiePants

Talking

Very true, but One Piece is like 80 episodes ;_;

Well, if I managed to re-download all of naruto I guess I can download all of One Piece. However if there's somebody out there who has all the eps, and is willing to burn and mail me a copy for the price of whatever materials were used (I don't want to pay more than that), and if it's okay with the staff, PM or something.

Forse: that's not what I meant. I was talking about fansubs specifically. I don't even get fansubbed Japanese movies any more (thanks to certain sites I won't mention). I'm not saying that I'm utterly 'moral' about anime, but if it's widely available to be downloaded, I'd rather pay to have it burned (and mailed....which is I suppose a tax on me for not taking the time) and save the hassle of downloading.
Old 2004-02-18, 09:26   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehehe. When I read the title of this thread the first thing that came to mind was my massive collection of anime I still gotta watch. Some 90+ gig of it. Oh well, I'll eventually get them all watched. I at least finished Chobits last night...finally. Sheesh.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 17:18   Link #6
Lambda

Until digisubs came along, that was the standard way of distributing fansubs. They would send people stuff through the post, in return for just enough to cover the cost of the postage and the media. It's still done today to a certain extent, certainly it's nothing controversial.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 17:27   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePants
...if it would be okay to request fansubs burned on DVD-roms and mailed to me...
You can probably find someone on the web who is doing it already (I am NOT talking about ebay here). See if you can find someone with a website including a page showing order status. There are often self-imposed restrictions about sending stuff internationally or to countries where the anime is licensed.

One thing about tapes was that you could see if someone was getting masters from the fansubbers, which indicated that that person had credibility as a distributor. Or if a fansub group was aware that some distro was cheating people in some way the fansubbers would point it out on their own website.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 18:45   Link #8
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Very true, but One Piece is like 80 episodes ;_;

Well, if I managed to re-download all of naruto I guess I can download all of One Piece. However if there's somebody out there who has all the eps, and is willing to burn and mail me a copy for the price of whatever materials were used (I don't want to pay more than that), and if it's okay with the staff, PM or something.

Forse: that's not what I meant. I was talking about fansubs specifically. I don't even get fansubbed Japanese movies any more (thanks to certain sites I won't mention). I'm not saying that I'm utterly 'moral' about anime, but if it's widely available to be downloaded, I'd rather pay to have it burned (and mailed....which is I suppose a tax on me for not taking the time) and save the hassle of downloading.
One Piece is actually 170+ episodes, and 81 (high quality) subbed episodes.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 05:03   Link #9
PiePants

And it's still going higher. Won't somebody from these fora help me out :P
Old 2004-02-20, 08:45   Link #10
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
As long as you have a Cable/DSL connection it shouldn't be THAT much of a problem for you...
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 14:37   Link #11
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
there's an old unix guru's aphorism ....

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of backup tapes."

I guess it could be applied to dvds and mail too
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 14:44   Link #12
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
I thought this thread was just asking advice about the general idea of fansubs-by-mail. You have not indicated that you have made any effort to google for someone already out there who is willing to do this.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 15:25   Link #13
Freddy C
Invincible

Send a message via MSN to Freddy C
man, really i wouldnt buy stuff off ppl, unless i had a 56k connection. luckily i have 512k and anyway, i havent got enough time to watch the animes i downloaded as in im downloading more than i can watch so i dont really have a problem with slow torrent or anything like that (unless the torrent goes at 3-4k/sec)
Freddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 17:23   Link #14
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
well I have for the moment 128Kbps connection and it's really hard some times, I take like 4 hours to donwload an 180Mb episode. but I got a few friends into anime too so we share out the downloads, it makes it easier, and it makes recieve a huge amount of anime all at one time. last time I got all the full metal panic fumoffu in one shot, and I watch it all in one shot too. getting up at 7 the next day wasn't easy...
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 18:18   Link #15
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Talking

Selling fansubs is bad bad bad
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 07:55   Link #16
K_R
also known as K!

Alternatively, find out if the nearest university has an anime club. Usually you'll find people who would be happy to swap/give anime with/to you at these clubs.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 13:45   Link #17
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
are there really many of these anime clubs in the US ? In france I never heard of it, I should maybe make one next year...
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote