AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-02-18, 06:20   Link #501
joswilliams

Unfortunately there are too many new anime series with fanservice. Huge amount of fanservice. And the ones who were watching anime during at least 10-15 years, will notice how less serious they become, and even won't try to find something serious. So ,eventually, they'll think, that they are grow out of anime and will drop it.
joswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-20, 09:22   Link #502
Chosen_Hero

^Basically too much overexposure bad for you, for example look at how people nowadays react anytime they see the synopsis for an anime, how many times have you rolled your eyes anytime you see one that you just know is going to be the generic anime of the season? (Heck sometimes there's more than one).

The anime industry is doing harm to itself while the audience gets tired of seeing the same stuff ad nauseum, which ends with a lot of fans just valuing different things in the anime they watch but since there is too much stagnation the fans just stop watching or don't watch as many anime as they used to even to the point where they just won't watch some genres due to feeling like it's never going to evolve or do anything different.
Old 2016-02-20, 11:14   Link #503
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswilliams View Post
Unfortunately there are too many new anime series with fanservice. Huge amount of fanservice.
It really helps if you avoid the obvious ones like the LN battle harems that all have the same premise.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 04:08   Link #504
joswilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
It really helps if you avoid the obvious ones like the LN battle harems that all have the same premise.
I mean the ones like... Grisaia,for example. I watched only first season, and played only the first game. The story is very good, but it's too much fanservice, especially in first episodes. I mean... seriously, there are situations when showing panties is funny, but sometimes it's really unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
^Basically too much overexposure bad for you, for example look at how people nowadays react anytime they see the synopsis for an anime, how many times have you rolled your eyes anytime you see one that you just know is going to be the generic anime of the season? (Heck sometimes there's more than one).

The anime industry is doing harm to itself while the audience gets tired of seeing the same stuff ad nauseum, which ends with a lot of fans just valuing different things in the anime they watch but since there is too much stagnation the fans just stop watching or don't watch as many anime as they used to even to the point where they just won't watch some genres due to feeling like it's never going to evolve or do anything different.
And I don't like how anime,based on manga,is made. Some of them are still pretty good-Akame ga Kill, Prison School( I know,that I mentioned before,that I don't like too much fanservice, but this series is something special),D-Frag... But some are I mean such as Tokyo Ghoul,Gokukoku no Brynhildr.

Last edited by Flower; 2016-02-22 at 04:21. Reason: Please do not double post ... just use the edit button. :)
joswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 12:53   Link #505
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:

AT, it seems like lately we've been getting either all girl main cast with tons of fan service and no plot or harem series with the usual plot with tons of fan service either way. Though it does seem now we get harem Anime with random twists l oddly enough miss the Slice of Life harem days now

Why? It seems like all we've been getting is these types of Anime so it's hard to avoide. I remember what got me into Anime in the first place, Anime with fun love able characters and good plots plus good fights, examples Dragon Ball Z pre AF days UGH that series

Pokemon and YuYu Hakusho than more other fun Anime that was airing back on
Toonami and 4Kids ala Pokemon and Yugioh.

It's not hard at all to see why people would be bored of Anime these days.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 17:13   Link #506
IceHism

Quote:

Can't complain if you aren't shelling out money for them. Anime studios are too dependent on Manga, Ln, and vn publishers for funding. Just for reference, the two biggest sellers this season are konosuba and rakugo. Innovation is impossible if they don't have enough money.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 18:28   Link #507
aakun4

It's funny (not funny) how most fans (both international and japanese fans) complain about the trash LN anime all the time yet those are usually the ones getting most of the attention each season these days. They are hardly the most popular anime of their season, but stuff like Rakudai Kishi or Asterisk and the generic LN airing this season get more posts in this very same forum than some of the "quality" anime people are apparently always looking for.

I read the anime subforum on 2ch and some japanese matome sites and the tendency is the same there, those series usally get as much or even more comments/posts than the "good" shows. Even if the the trash LN genre rarely averages over 2k sales, they pretty much always get a really good novel boost afaik so there IS a pretty relevant audience asking for that type of shows to be produced, and seems like the results given by the adaptations are good enough for the publishers to keep funding more and more of these so why stop?

I personally do agree that they are indeed trash anime, but as long as there's a part of the fandom that likes it people just need to accept it already as a prominent genre of current day anime and move on, so I think this thread can basically be answered with: it's not like people grow out of anime, it's just that the industry changed and those people didn't like the changes.

Last edited by aakun4; 2016-02-24 at 01:47. Reason: Typos
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 18:48   Link #508
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hard to say...some people grow out of anime just like any other hobby. There may be a few common reasons why someone might begin losing interest as a whole in a specific hobby that can be seen in several people at a specific time frame, but it is not always the case.

Some folks, again, like any other hobby, simply have an interest that waxes and wanes in a subject - a pattern that is as common as the day is long, being a very general common human pattern of behavior.
Old 2016-02-24, 01:06   Link #509
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakun4 View Post
It's funny (not funny) how most fans (both international and japanese fans) complain about the trash LN anime all the time yet those are usually the ones getting most of the attention each season these days. They are hardly the most popular anime of their season, but stuff like Rakudai Kishi or Asterisk and the generic LN airing this season get more posts in this very same forum than some of the "quality" anime people are apparently always looking for.
A couple comments:

I generally watch a mix of "guilty pleasure" shows and more substantial ones. I liked Rakudai Kishi (Asterisk War not some much, but I had to watch some episodes to decide between the two). I also liked that season's Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru. The latter was harder to talk about though - I had to actually come up with something intelligent to say, as opposed to just gushing about how adorable Ikki and Stella were as a couple.

Second, while I liked those show, I don't love them the way I love some of my favourite shows from 2011 (i.e Madoka, Hanasaku Iroha, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, etc) or 2012 (Hyouka, Shinsekai Yori, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Inu x Boku SS, etc). My favourite shows of 2015, like Koufuku Graffiti and Akatsuki no Yona, narrow the gap somewhat but I still found 2015 underwhelming compared to those years.

So to me, it's not surprising for something like Rakudai Kishi to receive attention even while the fanbase is clamouring for something better.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-24, 01:44   Link #510
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I think a lot of it is that many of these LN adaptations look very promising at a surface level.

They often have good stylish character designs, an interesting world setting, and the potential to have both great action scenes and an engaging thrill-ride plot.

And, every now and then, they actually pull it off.

Shakugan no Shana is an older example of a LN adaptation that made good on what it seemed to be. More recent examples would be Accel World, Sword Art Online (at least its 2nd season) and Tokyo Ravens.

Every so often, one of these action-oriented LN adaptations take themselves seriously enough that they end up feeling like a good superhero movie.

But the thing is, it's tricky to tell which of these action-oriented LN adaptations will pull it off and which ones won't, unless you actually sample some of each one.

Some pull it off really well, some crash and burn (an easy drop after an episode or two), and some are in this awkward mid-point where you're given just enough hope to think that if you watch more it'll "get better" (and sometimes, it does in fact get better).

The good ones are good enough that they create hype for future LN adaptations that might be good ones.
Old 2016-02-24, 01:46   Link #511
IceHism

Quote:

I read the anime subforum on 2ch and some japanese matome sites and the tendency is the same there, those series usally get as much or even more comments/posts than the "good" shows. Even if the the trash LN genre rarely averages over 2k sales, they pretty much always get a really good novel boost afaik so there IS a pretty relevant audience asking for that type of shows to be produced, and seems like the results given by the adaptations are good enough for the publishers to keep funding more and more of these so why stop?

I personally do agree that they are indeed trash anime, but as long as there's a part of the fandom that likes it people just to accept it already as prominent genre of current day anime and move on, so I think this thread can basically be answered with: it's not like people grow out of anime, it's just that the industry changed and those people didn't like the changes.
They can't be trash if they're better than the majority of what airs in a season anyways. Sure they're not very good or anything but there's a whole ton more shows coming out each season that suck even harder. Yea, we get something mindblowingly good like fate/zero, madoka, bokumachi every once in a while but they are by far the extreme minority.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-24, 03:14   Link #512
aakun4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
A couple comments:

I generally watch a mix of "guilty pleasure" shows and more substantial ones. I liked Rakudai Kishi (Asterisk War not some much, but I had to watch some episodes to decide between the two). I also liked that season's Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru. The latter was harder to talk about though - I had to actually come up with something intelligent to say, as opposed to just gushing about how adorable Ikki and Stella were as a couple.
Oh and I perfectly understand want you mean. The generic LN genre is basically the junk food of anime. People know it's far from nutritive but they still eat it all the time. And that's all good! I mean, the point I wanted to get across with my post was that this genre does have a strong audience and people need to stop acting as if they were "trash" no one is actually asking for, when they in fact get more attention than most critically acclaimed shows.

And if they really want more "quality" anime to be made they might as well actually watch them at least, because just checking MAL is enough to notice the "good shows" -except if we are talking about those that get hyped like bokumachi this season or one punch man last fall- are always pretty much close to bottom of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think a lot of it is that many of these LN adaptations look very promising at a surface level.

They often have good stylish character designs, an interesting world setting, and the potential to have both great action scenes and an engaging thrill-ride plot.

And, every now and then, they actually pull it off.
Oh I can relate to this a lot personally. I think the world settings the generic LNs use (be it either the magic high school or the isekai setting) are indeed really interesting but they always find a way to ruin it for me with all the LN tropes and so on.

Still, the fans that complain about these things should know well enough by now that LNs like Accel Word or Log Horizon are the exception and not the rule, so complaining over and over about it is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
They can't be trash if they're better than the majority of what airs in a season anyways. Sure they're not very good or anything but there's a whole ton more shows coming out each season that suck even harder. Yea, we get something mindblowingly good like fate/zero, madoka, bokumachi every once in a while but they are by far the extreme minority.
Well sure, whether a show is good or not is always up to the person watching, but I'm talking about the average anime fan pow over these shows here. Most people would categorize Asterisk War as a trash LN just like shows like Concrete Revolutio or Fafner are considered as quality anime, yet the "generic trash" show here had like the triple of the audience of both of the "quality" shows /together/ according MAL, and probably this forum as well.
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-24, 06:22   Link #513
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswilliams View Post
I mean the ones like... Grisaia,for example. I watched only first season, and played only the first game. The story is very good, but it's too much fanservice, especially in first episodes. I mean... seriously, there are situations when showing panties is funny, but sometimes it's really unnecessary.
Personally, I'd say give the second season of Grisaia a chance. Personally, I never played the game, but I actually liked how Grisaia no Rakuen (and the Grisaia no Meikyu OVA) basically takes a more action oriented route- there seemed to be less fanservice (though still the occasional panty shot) and more in the way of action scenes, as well as some darker stuff about Yuuji's past that, to avoid spoiling to much, involved abusive family, the loss of the only person who showed him any affection in childhood, being forced to become a child soldier, and the death of pretty much anyone he cared about as a child. After all the fucked up shit he's been through, I'd say Yuuji earned that harem ending!

That said, as the anime did go from the "darker and edgier" tone of Grisaia no Meikyu OVA to the action scenes of the last few episodes, which were the kind of thing that would not be out of place in a James Bond movie.

Now that we're through with that aside, back to your regularly scheduled conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
A couple comments:

Second, while I liked those show, I don't love them the way I love some of my favourite shows from 2011 (i.e Madoka, Hanasaku Iroha, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, etc) or 2012 (Hyouka, Shinsekai Yori, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Inu x Boku SS, etc). My favourite shows of 2015, like Koufuku Graffiti and Akatsuki no Yona, narrow the gap somewhat but I still found 2015 underwhelming compared to those years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post

Quote:
Oh and I perfectly understand want you mean. The generic LN genre is basically the junk food of anime. People know it's far from nutritive but they still eat it all the time. And that's all good! I mean, the point I wanted to get across with my post was that this genre does have a strong audience and people need to stop acting as if they were "trash" no one is actually asking for, when they in fact get more attention than most critically acclaimed shows.

And if they really want more "quality" anime to be made they might as well actually watch them at least, because just checking MAL is enough to notice the "good shows" -except if we are talking about those that get hyped like bokumachi this season or one punch man last fall- are always pretty much close to bottom of the list.

Oh I can relate to this a lot personally. I think the world settings the generic LNs use (be it either the magic high school or the isekai setting) are indeed really interesting but they always find a way to ruin it for me with all the LN tropes and so on.
As for the generic LN setting, the magic high school is kind of meh, but as are as the isekai, there are some ones that I thought were pretty good. For instance, while it has some people who hated it, I thought Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There was entertaining enough to ignore the obvious "nationalism porn" and one-sided "medieval vs modern" battles- a 32-year old JSDF lieutenant is definitely a great change from the usual teenage protagonist. Personally, I thought the Gate anime adaptation did a fairly good adaptation of the manga (haven't read the LN), at least up to the battle with the Flame Dragon (S2 Ep 5) after that, it seems to be missing practically an entire story arc. Still I'll reserve judgement until the series ends.

Personally though, what I'd like to see in an isekai anime is a one that takes the protagonist somewhere that cannot be at least loosely described as a medieval fantasy. Attention LN authors, there are plenty of other interesting settings for the hero to be transported to!

As for my watching habits, I haven't seen a decline in my viewership since I started following anime as it aired because I do not follow a large number of series in a given season. In general, my anime view habits for a season start with me watching typically no more than two or three things I either like the premise of or liked the source material. For instance, this season, I have been following Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There (liked the manga) and Boku Dake ga Inai Machi/Erased (liked the sound of the premise, and it is shaping up to be best of season if not 2016).

After finishing a season, I go back and watch anything that sounds interesting at a second glance, or which was highly acclaimed on the forums (recently, I'm mostly through Akatsuki no Yona, and saving space in my schedule for drug-laced donuts... I mean Shirobako!).

Quite frankly, I almost wondering if some people here are not so much growing out of anime as shifting from the viewing pattern where they watch several things per season, to the point they watch at least one new episode on most or all days of the week, to a pattern more like mine- "watch a couple things that look good as they air, and come back for anything else that seems worth it".

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2016-02-24 at 06:44.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 00:22   Link #514
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I am beginning to fall out of love with anime and I am now trying to regain that feeling I had lost with anime.
Old 2016-02-25, 00:42   Link #515
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There are moments where I feel burned out too (or at least frustrated that I can't proceed through a series), but taking a break without a complete disconnect to the world of anime helps a lot.

If not for Animesuki, I might have quit a long time ago. Having someone to talk to about anime helps in keeping me interested in watching anime.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 03:54   Link #516
jdennis007

To me it's not a question of growing out of anime, it's more like getting disinterested in it. I think we all have had periods like that. One season you might find barely any shows to watch, then another season you have too many.
I have done that with comic books there have been periods where I read a ton of books and other times I read none.
Old 2016-02-25, 08:27   Link #517
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

These days I end up watching... maybe 2-3 series every season at the most. Partly because of IRL concerns and a certain loss of interest in a lot of shows that would have otherwise kept me watching. Maybe it's age or changes in taste but, for the most part, I don't touch perhaps half of the shows I would have maybe 6 years ago.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-27, 22:14   Link #518
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

1. I can't keep up with everything anymore.

2. I'm buying things but not watching them due to IRL concerns and time. Plus I'm into manga and...gaming right now.
Old 2016-02-28, 05:58   Link #519
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Anime isn't serving my tastes like it used to. It would be nice to wipe it away and say that it's just nostalgia or something like that, but I genuinely feel as if I came into anime at a particular time and that now the industry wants to go in a different direction from the one I was already happy with at the time.
Old 2016-02-28, 19:26   Link #520
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I just go with the burnout model for some people and what is currently trending for others. If there are lacking in types of shows that you enjoy then the whole thing will be less appealing. Same with just getting burned out which happens for all sorts of things (movies, tv, games, sports, you name it). Some people come back, some people don't.

Personally I'm still good. There are times when I get a bit burned out, but it doesn't last for long. At the very least anime has done a good job keeping my interest in comparison to some types of tv shows (or frankly regular television in general, just nothing I care to watch right now).