AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 7.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 42.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 17.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 17.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-10, 00:08   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 2 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Episode 2.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-10-10, 13:28   Link #2
Midonin
Last Engage

I have no idea who this Athena is that everyone keeps going on about (and am in no hurry to find out), and found the second season's focus on Hina and romance over the comedy to kind of take it down a notch in my eyes. It was executed well, just not what I watch the show for. So far, this year is containing a much better mix of elements that I like, though the first season will probably always stand at the top. (Though Hayate's words at the end of this episode are making me brace for next week.)

Clock motifs (and Ruka's strange monologues), comedy and references, and the supporting cast are all present here, along with that sense of mystery and theatricality that the series is going for. The fourth wall's being broken to a regular degree again and, while the supporting cast isn't quite as prominent as they used to be (though Ayumu's guitar solo was amusing), they're still there. Even Klaus and Tama got cameos! The opening seems to hint this season will have a very Hayate/Nagi heavy throughline, some sort of theme they're working towards. I am genuinely curious what Ruri's up to, and the clock motifs are making me think some sort of time travel might be involved.

It could happen!
Old 2012-10-10, 15:14   Link #3
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

Quite an enjoyable episode. Hamster's appearance was epic!
Old 2012-10-10, 15:41   Link #4
mitsuganae

So the franchise hasn't forgotten that it's a comedy, thank nonexistent gods. The fourth wall breaking is amusing (shades of season one).

The indoor waterfalls are a nice touch.

My only complaint concerns Ruka's mock(/would-be)-profound interludes. There's only one in this episode, but I'm already sick of the schtick (the Dali reference fell flat).

What's with the apple motif?

Let's see how next episode's pandering will work out.

And sheesh, just do a DNA test!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I have no idea who this Athena is that everyone keeps going on about (and am in no hurry to find out), and found the second season's focus on Hina and romance over the comedy to kind of take it down a notch in my eyes. It was executed well, just not what I watch the show for. So far, this year is containing a much better mix of elements that I like, though the first season will probably always stand at the top. (Though Hayate's words at the end of this episode are making me brace for next week.)

Clock motifs (and Ruka's strange monologues), comedy and references, and the supporting cast are all present here, along with that sense of mystery and theatricality that the series is going for. The fourth wall's being broken to a regular degree again and, while the supporting cast isn't quite as prominent as they used to be (though Ayumu's guitar solo was amusing), they're still there. Even Klaus and Tama got cameos! The opening seems to hint this season will have a very Hayate/Nagi heavy throughline, some sort of theme they're working towards. I am genuinely curious what Ruri's up to, and the clock motifs are making me think some sort of time travel might be involved.

It could happen!
+1, and well said. I assume the clock motif has something to do with Ruri's past as well as the flash forward nature of the season.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2012-10-10 at 17:16.
Old 2012-10-10, 16:22   Link #5
Zeross

wait, can you know about ruka but not athena ?

ep2 did it very well for me. the 4th wall need to go down every so often, and the "WTH is going on ?" feeling is the most enjoyable for me in hayate.

so i know this is not suposedly part of the manga timeline, but are every tenant there ? will we see ruka pop up after her work, hina and child athena, and the priest ? i realy hope so !
Old 2012-10-10, 18:00   Link #6
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
wait, can you know about ruka but not athena ?

ep2 did it very well for me. the 4th wall need to go down every so often, and the "WTH is going on ?" feeling is the most enjoyable for me in hayate.

so i know this is not suposedly part of the manga timeline, but are every tenant there ? will we see ruka pop up after her work, hina and child athena, and the priest ? i realy hope so !
Well if you watched the movie and then read about her in some wiki or in YouTube comments, you can actually know her without knowing A-tan .

For the tenants: Well here we have a bit a problem, as this series is set in September in the timeline (I know it's original) while the manga itself is in July if I'm not taken wrong. So actually anything could have happened, but one thing is for certain:

Even if A-tan shows up (what I highly doubt) she can't be in chibi-form anymore as she already will probably get her old form back in the ending of July/beginning of August...

For the ep itself: Well that was Hayate how I love it...breaking of the 4th wall and quite good comedy ^^ so no real complains from me

Ah and Hina probably will show up next week as Hayate in the Epilogue (dunno how to call it XD) stated that a character will show up next week that everyone awaits (judging from the Hina-hype all over the offical charactor polls that will be Hina )
Old 2012-10-10, 18:20   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

An improvement from the previous episodes- Now this is more like an HnG Anime And we got the return of Nishizawa "Amazing Grace" Ayumu !

(The OP leaves very little to the imagination... Doesn't live up to the 'hype' from the prologue Hayate... >.>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
Ah and Hina probably will show up next week as Hayate in the Epilogue (dunno how to call it XD) stated that a character will show up next week that everyone awaits (judging from the Hina-hype all over the offical charactor polls that will be Hina )

Could be Hina, could be Athena (Super highly DOUBT it), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just Ruka but in person.
Old 2012-10-10, 19:38   Link #8
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I have no idea who this Athena is that everyone keeps going on about (and am in no hurry to find out), and found the second season's focus on Hina and romance over the comedy to kind of take it down a notch in my eyes.
I was honestly fine with this series spicing up its comedic nature with a few serious bits here and there, in fact I think that type of thing is necessary for any comedic series, you have to have SOMETHING to contrast against all the laughs.

All of that kept me coming back, curious, and interested. I enjoyed the comedy more when the characters weren't one dimensional one liners.

The problem is that this Athena you're talking about, well her inclusion in the series is huge. I can't even tell you how or why on account of spoilers alone but it's enough that I am DYING for more. I am foaming at the teeth for more. Hell, at one point the scanlators for this series jumped 50 chapters ahead just to translate said portion of the manga. They were aching for more just as much as they wanted everyone else to take it in.

I get that people enjoy the comedy Hayate brings, I can't hate on anyone just looking for a smile or laugh like that. The thing is that I can not understand why they haven't animated her or anything regarding her at all. That entire portion of series is fantastic movie material. Two movies worth even.

Right now they've skipped that entire part of the series. Where season two ended and this begins, that whole GIANT chunk is all Athena. They've just tossed her aside but taken in every character besides her instead, and well that's just fucked up because, well what's the reason?

It's why I'm not all that excited for this season, and why the 'new' characters feel like they're going to be used for their tropes or possible ability to pull in manga readers, and not much anything else.

Mind you I am not arguing with you on enjoying this season, but at the very least I'm just telling you how I feel about Athena, which may be how others feel as well.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-10, 19:45   Link #9
Midonin
Last Engage

The thing is that with everyone hyping up her (and Hinagiku for season two - she doesn't make me laugh enough. I'd rather spend more time with the rest of the student council. Now those are characters I can get behind) appearance, it's making me anticipate it less. I may not know what I'm missing, but from what I've been able to hear, that's when the series went into serious mode, and again... that's not what I watch the series for. I'm sure it's perfectly entertaining, but I'm also perfectly entertained by what I've seen thus far.
Old 2012-10-10, 20:18   Link #10
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Well no one knows how the rest of this season is going to pan out (it could be quite enjoyable) but the thing with Athena isn't simply her appearance or her as a character, it's what she brings to the story, because there IS an actual story to Hayate no Gotoku.

I'm not even going to say something like 'oh it's really cool and you might enjoy it' or 'give serious Hayate another chance', I just have to point out that that part of the series is unbelievably important, which hurts my brain wondering why they took it out. I suppose if they're going to go for laughs it makes sense but it no way detracts from the series because of it. After 'all that' happened the series went back to its usual antics, but for the better.

I just question what direction this season is going to, the amount of characters is a bit overbearing, but if it'll be all slapstick well I suppose it'll be fine.

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-10, 20:51   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

well.... Tsugumi's voice is annoying... hahaha...

gag episode and there's not really any development of stories in this episode..

but there's one amusing thing in this episode... wow! that apartment is still there... and looks like it's placed near Nagi's mansion (or maybe in her backyard?)
Hamster-chan, Chiharu, and Kayura are also still living there...

maybe I'll put same comment with others... yeah! I'm expecting to see A-tan when Hayate said someone will make her appearance in next episode..
but seeing how everything going now, I'm sure he refers to Hina... there's no way A-tan will appear from nowhere without any story re-telling about her relationship with Hayate
Old 2012-10-11, 00:52   Link #12
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Hayate: "Someone who ya'll been waiting for will finally appear next week...'
Me: *fingers crossed* Please, let it be Hinagiku!
Old 2012-10-11, 02:40   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

From the promo art we already know that Hina is in the Anime so I'm not worried.

On the other hand, anybody consider that this might be a gigantic troll and someone like Klaus shows up, or even Wakamoto as the voice of God
Old 2012-10-11, 02:51   Link #14
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

It was more enjoyable than the first episode. Still feels like they're trying way to hard to cling onto the original series, which just makes me want to watch the original series instead. Would be nice if that whole "please do your best to enjoy it, the creators worked hard on it" opening is changed; that's when it feels desperate.

I assume "the person you've been waiting for" is Hina; I look forward to seeing her next episode.
Old 2012-10-11, 04:37   Link #15
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
From the promo art we already know that Hina is in the Anime so I'm not worried.
Haven't seen the promo art yet...still the waiting is almost unbearable.
Old 2012-10-11, 05:31   Link #16
Lukeman1884

Most likely gonna be Hina. Considering A***** is one of THE most popular characters, if she were in here, it would've been hyped to heaven way before the anime started. And yeah, I'm getting sick of Ruka's interludes too at this point.
Old 2012-10-11, 06:01   Link #17
Eragon
Still Alive

Well pretty average at this point. The problem for me in these first 2 episodes was I don't know whether the show want's me to take it seriously or is it going to be like the previous two seasons. The comedy part, as a lot of the posters have pointed out, was meh.

But, as long as I get to see Hina-chan I can endure it
Old 2012-10-11, 06:40   Link #18
madmac

I'm actually starting to think something is up with Ruka.

I'm really digging this series at least. Just to (hopefully) put an end to the canon/filler debate, Hata posted this on twitter:

漫画はアニメの先まで続きます RT @knightwalker506: じゃあ、マンガ本編ではアニメの期間のことは語られないんですか? QT @hatakenjiro: 続きの世界です RT @pink_kaba: これは漫画本編のアナザーワールドなのでしょうか?続きの世界なの

Basically he says it's a continuation of the manga and the manga will eventually reach the end point of the anime.
Old 2012-10-11, 09:48   Link #19
Trans-Fat

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Hata suddenly decides to insert the storyline of the movie and S3 into the manga when the manga reaches that point of date. I mean he already has the storyline for the future, so wouldn't be surprised if he gets lazy and do not wanna think of new material.
Old 2012-10-11, 11:29   Link #20
mitsuganae

If Hata executes complete adaptations/retellings of the movie and this season in the manga, its life will be extended by a few years. That would be completely and utterly fantabulous!
Closed Thread