AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 23.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 39.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-30, 20:36   Link #41
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
By the folks, I haven't seen any episodes since number 1, based on my wait and see approach, but have they done anything interesting with Aono yet. Like had her speak or given her backstory as to why she's so...dry and boring.
In ep 3 we find out she's in the hospital because she's
Spoiler:

And ep 4 was all about Aono & Koyori character development.
Spoiler:

Oh, and about the dolls...
Spoiler:

This series may be easier to watch all at once, so you don't have to suffer waiting an entire week after a "slow" episode like the last two have been. Me, I must like suffering.
Old 2007-04-30, 21:36   Link #42
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
In ep 3 we find out she's in the hospital because she's
Spoiler:
No I know exactly what you mean (For Your Eyes Only):

Spoiler:

Anyway Aono is toast, no doubt about it, you can see it coming as early as episode 1. Wonder if they can spare lil' sis and Dead Bunny Goth-Loli chan though. Nothing I saw in episode 1 points to lil' sis having a potential tragic death, but who knows with Dead Bunny Goth-Loli chan. Her hanging around Simon Belmont is not a good strategy to ensure survival in a series written by a Key author.
Old 2007-04-30, 22:40   Link #43
rg4619

From what I read, Hisaya's scenarios are typically quite saccharine (or at least that's one of the complaints raised by fans who prefer Jun Maeda or Yuuichi Suzumoto's tearjerkers), although it's impossible to say how sola will turn out.

Bear in mind that Hisaya worked at Key for only a year (1998-1999), so we can't associate him with anything they released after Kanon.
Old 2007-05-01, 03:03   Link #44
Kensuke

I had to give 9/10 to this episode, I loved the Koyori and Aono interaction in this episode (oohhh, the smile ). While I'm not a big fan of Ai Shimizu's "little sister" voice, but it does fit for Koyori.

Looking forward to see Takeshi and Mayuko's past.
Old 2007-05-01, 03:08   Link #45
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Anyway Aono is toast, no doubt about it, you can see it coming as early as episode 1. Wonder if they can spare lil' sis and Dead Bunny Goth-Loli chan though. Nothing I saw in episode 1 points to lil' sis having a potential tragic death, but who knows with Dead Bunny Goth-Loli chan. Her hanging around Simon Belmont is not a good strategy to ensure survival in a series written by a Key author.
Well, to answer that...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-01, 03:19   Link #46
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub. A bit delayed in my write-up because I had been pressed for time in the past few days (not to mention I am splitting my focused attention between four series ).

Random Thoughts on Ep04:
---- ----
  • The first thing that surprised me was that Koyori was a patient too. Up until now, I had been under the impression that Koyori was just a regular visitor; but now that I think about it, it was unrealistic to have Koyori visiting Aono on her own without Mana accompanying her to the hospital.

Koyori's frequent visits to Aono's room now makes much more sense. I can only blame myself for not being observant enough in the first three episodes.
  • Speaking of which, the bond between Koyori and Aono is something I am encouraged by, in terms of storytelling. Very too often, the issues faced by the side-girls are all solved by the main protagonist. It works, but it tends to place too much importance on one character.

It is rare for a bishoujo-based anime to have the side-characters solve their issues amongst themselves. One of the reasons why Canvas 2 ranks high in my opinion, because the world does not revolve around one character, or one pairing even.
  • Matsuri has weird taste in dolls too... but I suppose that is part of her charm. Setting us up for how compatible Matsuri and Yorito are, before they push us off the cliff.
  • Some of the dolls in the Doll Shop look as though they are being hung by the neck... Is this where Mayuko got her bunny-doll?
  • Kudos to the team for showing that Yorito knows his sister better than Mana in some aspects (I won't say all). If I had to think of a phrase, it would be, "It is the thought that counts."
  • Some of the conversations between Aono and Yorito, and the relationship between Aono and Koyori is particularly haunting to me, because it accurately reflects how people behave in the hospital.

Aono being stubborn about wanting to go home, and Yorito gently telling her that she needed to stay there until she gets better. Man... the number of times I had to have this conversation without losing my composure. Some of you may go, "Oh, it's no big deal." and you'll be right at first; but when the frequency becomes at least 3 times a day, seven days a week, and over months, the strain of keeping a smile while telling them to stay in the hospital is going to crack you a little (especially when your ward starts to gossip with the other patients about how evil-hearted you are for confining her in the hospital ).

Koyori's reluctance to tell Aono about discharging soon is also reflective of "Survivor's Guilt". On one hand, you are glad that you are going to leave the hospital, but you feel guilty that you get to leave before the others, and you feel even guiltier for feeling relief that you are leaving before the others. It's a pretty vicious cycle of self-loathing.

So kudos to the producers for these.
  • Expanding on the first point, the relationship between Koyori and Aono also explains further why Mana is taking such good care of Yorito. Their common bond is that their sisters have been hospitalised, and while Koyori and Aono takes care of each other, Mana helps to take care of Yorito. Quite a complicated web to explain, but easy to understand once you get it.

It also diffuses the need for Mana to develop a romantic interest in Yorito, something which Mana's co-worker seems to point out during the restaurant scene. Mana is simply a very good friend of Yorito, and there is basis for why this is so.
  • It still amuses me whenever Mayuko bosses Takeshi around. Takeshi's comment made me wonder though... why the need to hurry now? Back in Ep02, he said that there was no need to worry, and yet he is worrying now? Did a deadline appear or something?
  • Aono has problems with vending machines too, but instead of kicking them, she sits down and pout, which is quite a cute image.
  • The dynamic between Koyori and Aono is beautiful. At first glance, it would appear that Koyori is solely the carer, but upon further examination, it will be apparent to all that the relationship is two-way and not one-way. As much as Koyori tries to get Aono to open up more, Aono is also there to comfort Koyori in her times of need; because as mature as Koyori tries to act, she is still a child at heart.
  • All the main cast have voiced the "previews". Does this mean we will get real previews now?
I am giving this episode 09/10, because of the characterisations. I was tempted to give it a perfect 10, but I think I will hold back a bit first. None of the scenes were pointless. This is something that is very good. They all had meaning, and helped to contribute to the overall storyline.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-01, 07:39   Link #47
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Two People, Two Wishes

My thoughts for this episode are that it raises the topic on how a true friendship survives the test of change.

Thinking it over the coffee was used as the best example to describe Koyoris' fears.
Spoiler:

There are other metaphors as well that helped me understood as to why Aono dedicates time to her origami after watching this episode.
Spoiler:

Quite some developments were.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-01, 07:46   Link #48
Cyber_chaotic
I recommend Souske!!!

I concur with Skane

although i can't do such a thorough assessment as he, but i'd really like to say that Aono is such an awesome character. Even though she's the most quietest character in the series so far (and may be so for the rest), you can see that although she's stuck in the hospital, she's quite the complex girl with such a deep personality as most of you mentioned.
For some reason, Aono reminds me of 'Zazie Rainyday' from Mahou Sensei Negima! Mainly cuz they are both quiet and has awesome hair styles!

Yea, i love the 'CloudService' that this ep gives.....(heheh, nice one telliamed)
Watching Sola makes me want to study English all over again just so i can dig up the visual techniques that define this series.

10/10!!!

^^
Old 2007-05-01, 08:23   Link #49
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I wasn't too sure about this ep, at first I was kinda disappointed that again, after #3, nothing really "happened". But in the end it just had to good of a feel to it, so I didn't care much for the slow pace after all (gave it a 9).
It kinda seems like the lull before the storm to me, I don't expect episode 5 to be another character-interaction-only-episode. And hopefully there'll be more of Matsuri again next time as well.
Old 2007-05-01, 08:27   Link #50
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
It kinda seems like the lull before the storm to me
Agreed. Once they will be done with the character introductions and initial development, i expect them to plunge in to the meat of the story. The Hunter noticing Yorito at the end of the ep might be a notification that some things are about to be set in to action.
Old 2007-05-01, 09:30   Link #51
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_chaotic View Post
I concur with Skane

although i can't do such a thorough assessment as he, but i'd really like to say that Aono is such an awesome character. Even though she's the most quietest character in the series so far (and may be so for the rest), you can see that although she's stuck in the hospital, she's quite the complex girl with such a deep personality as most of you mentioned.
The 'I speak only when necessary' type of characters are always awesome in my book.

The slow pace is actually fine with me, we might see things hitting the fan very soon if the Hunter's indication points it at that.
Old 2007-05-03, 03:38   Link #52
JediNight
キズランダム

You'd think that in a couple hundred years, Matsuri would have at least learned how to cook. You have to wonder how she fed herself all these years lol...
Old 2007-05-03, 04:34   Link #53
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Her many super powers include kicking things to get what she wants. *not that it's a reliable power though*
Old 2007-05-03, 04:44   Link #54
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
Her many super powers include kicking things to get what she wants. *not that it's a reliable power though*
well I don't know about that...
Kicking things can be quite useful
I've used the Kicking-things technique myself many times.
example when my little brother grabs the last Coke from the fridge, a little round of kicking-things can be quite useful

Old 2007-05-03, 13:14   Link #55
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
You'd think that in a couple hundred years, Matsuri would have at least learned how to cook. You have to wonder how she fed herself all these years lol...
microwave food and that weird drink perhaps?

but im wonder where matsuri came from in the first place...she seemed soo out of date with things its quite shocking that she doesnt even know how to properly work the microwave...dont tell me shes been hibernating for the past 50 years...and where did she stay in the past? she couldnt have been living in that church for over 100 years O.o hopefully these questions will be answered in the future :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-03, 13:22   Link #56
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
microwave food and that weird drink perhaps?

but im wonder where matsuri came from in the first place...she seemed soo out of date with things its quite shocking that she doesnt even know how to properly work the microwave...dont tell me shes been hibernating for the past 50 years...and where did she stay in the past? she couldnt have been living in that church for over 100 years O.o hopefully these questions will be answered in the future :3
Well, thats the thing - for all we know thats exactly how she might have lived up until now - moving from place to place, sleeping wherever she can find a spot. And hiding during the day. (And being constantly hunted - she mentioned being injured more than once)

When you think about it that way, it is not that surprising that she doesn't really know how to operate modern machinery. I mean... it is highly unlikely that she has a house somewhere, and i can't imagine her having much(if any) acquaintances among humans (Prior to Yorito) - most people sleep at night
Old 2007-05-03, 15:23   Link #57
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Although, when she told Yorito why she didn't want to stay with him, it seemed as if she spoke from experience.

But yeah, it's kinda hard to have much of a social life if you have to sleep all through the day. And she doesn't own anything that can't be easily carried in a bag. Still, it wasn't like she was entirely unfamiliar with machines. There are some people who just can't understand technology. Anyone who's done tech support knows that the most common problem is "operator error".
Old 2007-05-03, 15:27   Link #58
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Although, when she told Yorito why she didn't want to stay with him, it seemed as if she spoke from experience.
cause the day she leaves will be the day his heart breaks...how i dread that day

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-03, 15:31   Link #59
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
cause the day she leaves will be the day his heart breaks...how i dread that day
if that day comes... I will cry too.... I just know it

Old 2007-05-03, 15:38   Link #60
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Well... for all we know, that experience might have come from hundreds of years ago Either way - given Matsuri's situation, i don't find it hard to believe she isn't all that familiar with the latest technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
That, i agree with. I don't want her to vanish
*remembers a certain shot from the OP*
*goes to sulk in a corner*