Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-04-25, 03:52   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

AnimeSuki Forum move April 2013

On April 25 the AnimeSuki Forum moved servers. There were a couple of reasons for this. First, after three years I figured it would be possible to get a faster server for less money. Another good reason was that the old server was running Debian Linux 5.0, which has been EOL (end-of-life) since 2011.

The new server has a Intel E3 1230v2 CPU, which is almost twice as fast as the old one (Intel i7 860). It also runs on Samsung 840 Pro SSDs (in RAID-1 for reliability), which should be a lot faster too (despite the old SAS 15K drives being no slouch either). RAM is still the same (16GB), as is our provider: WebNX.

Despite the extra power, the new server costs $70/month less than the old one. It runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which means security updates will last to 2017 (by which time it might be time to move to something faster & better again).

Anyway... I've tried to make this move as smoothly as possible (although some short downtime is hard to avoid). However it is always possible I've missed something, so a request:

If you notice anything that is not working that was working before, please contact me immediately by sending a PM or replying to this thread.

Edit:

- Looking into problems related to Suisei no Gargantia right now...
- FIXED: I forgot to wipe/restart "memcached" after the move (so vBulletin was using old data from the forum backup I used during testing).
- Notice: the search index is being rebuild right now. This might make the forum slower in the next 1-2 hours. Until the update is complete new threads (created in the past few days) may not appear in search queries.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2013-04-25 at 04:34.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 04:08   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Today's move was pretty fast.... around 20-30 minutes? Nice.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 04:14   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Today's move was pretty fast.... around 20-30 minutes? Nice.
I counted closer to 45-50 minutes. The biggest wait (even with SSDs) was to import the SQL dump on the new server again (which took about ~15 minutes). Actually moving the backup (7.3GB over 100Mbit) took some time too, but at least I could do some other things during that time, like fixing the permissions/ownerships of various folders (for the "Pictures & Albums" feature)
Old 2013-04-25, 04:17   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Thought I'm clueless about the words used in the explanation but... at least its fast., Thanks!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 05:10   Link #5
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Are the hard drives painted red? They should be because it makes them three times faster.

Question though, are there any changes for access for the new server? Will any IPs or proxies be blocked?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 05:35   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Question though, are there any changes for access for the new server? Will any IPs or proxies be blocked?
I wasn't planning any changes on that front, at least for now.

Why are you asking, if I may?
Old 2013-04-25, 06:48   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I wasn't planning any changes on that front, at least for now.

Why are you asking, if I may?
I don't want to be caught in a bind if the place I stay over during my convention visit uses a unique blocked IP.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 07:49   Link #8
Haiprbim
Banned

So, we now have a new servers' host for the next 4 years.
I Suki the change, will see if there is anything to report as I do my daily Forum-surf.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:44   Link #9
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

70$ less... per month
I just realized I greatly underestimated the cost of running this site.

Are you doing ok with those finances?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:35   Link #10
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
70$ less... per month

My thoughts exactly.
That is kind of a lot, but it's the same with publishers. If you want a book truly published, you will need to pay, big time.
Old 2013-04-26, 15:30   Link #11
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
70$ less... per month

Its no problem. I got another site whose advertising income covers for any hosting expenses for all my sites. But it's still better to keep hosting expenses as low as possible (without compromising quality).
Old 2013-04-26, 15:33   Link #12
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Its no problem. I got another site whose advertising income covers for any hosting expenses for all my sites. But it's still better to keep hosting expenses as low as possible (without compromising quality).
The good thing is that many top Hosts are competing by giving better offers to their customers than their competition, which brings us quite a nice deal in the end.