AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-10, 20:28   Link #701
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post

Man, I'm griping a lot for a series that I'm enjoying so far.
You know what, that's not anything to be worried about. It keeps you on your toes to see where room for improvement can be made, and makes it all the more satisfying when improvement does happen. It also makes you appreciate other series where they have gotten a certain thing right that the one you are watching didn't all the more. Nothing about anything is perfect, there are always going to be some flaws, but its still very much possible to enjoy a show despite any flaws it may have. If that weren't the case than shows like Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight or Gaogaigar would have no fans at all.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 20:47   Link #702
JayF

I've got the SFS srt avi file and there are no subs when I play the video. Special codec needed?
JayF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 20:54   Link #703
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF View Post
I've got the SFS srt avi file and there are no subs when I play the video. Special codec needed?
Nope, just make sure that the subs file and the video file have the same name. And are in the same directory.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 21:13   Link #704
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Oh, there's no arguing that it was appropriate music! It was, indeed, very appropriate.

It was just awful.
When did i say it was a argue? & yeah, its all down to personal tastes at the end of the day.
Old 2007-04-10, 21:19   Link #705
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
While we're on the topic of music and catchy openings. Anyone here ever see the opening song and dance routine for Kodoma No Omocha Opening 2. It's even more random and cutesy than this ones. I'm thinking Kyoto Animation took a bit of a cue from this style in doing their original openings. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t01APeDJpq0 . Everybody in the world is Dancin man!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-10 at 21:42.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 21:41   Link #706
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Interesting... the model for the school is an actual school: 春日部共栄高等学校 (and no, they say 春日 is NOT supposed to be read as Haruhi 春日部 is suppsed to be kasukabe). If you look at the school's website, it does look the same as the one in Lucky Star.

Also, I didn't see it before, but it's in the ending credits, too. Around the 26:13 mark in SOS-dan raws.
Old 2007-04-10, 22:06   Link #707
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Interesting... the model for the school is an actual school: 春日部共栄高等学校 (and no, they say 春日 is NOT supposed to be read as Haruhi 春日部 is suppsed to be kasukabe). If you look at the school's website, it does look the same as the one in Lucky Star. Also, I didn't see it before, but it's in the ending credits, too. Around the 26:13 mark in SOS-dan raws.
Lol. Now I know why the police car in the OP said "Saitama Police," since the school is in Kasukabe city, Saitama prefecture (just north of Tokyo).

And if you feed the school's address:
埼玉県春日部市上大増新田213番地
into maps.google.com, you can drill down in the satellite map for a great view of our stage. With cars in the parking lot, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 22:11   Link #708
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
While we're on the topic of music and catchy openings. Anyone here ever see the opening song and dance routine for Kodoma No Omocha Opening 2. It's even more random and cutesy than this ones. I'm thinking Kyoto Animation took a bit of a cue from this style in doing their original openings. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t01APeDJpq0 . Everybody in the world is Dancin man!
Funny little intro for sure.

Never heard about this show until now. <- (this is hardly rare, considering how few anime I actually watch)
Old 2007-04-10, 22:57   Link #709
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Interesting... the model for the school is an actual school: 春日部共栄高等学校 (and no, they say 春日 is NOT supposed to be read as Haruhi 春日部 is suppsed to be kasukabe). If you look at the school's website, it does look the same as the one in Lucky Star.

Also, I didn't see it before, but it's in the ending credits, too. Around the 26:13 mark in SOS-dan raws.
It's the school that Yoshimizu Kagami-sensei (Lucky Star's mangaka) graduated from, that's why.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 23:10   Link #710
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Random thoughts:
  • I'm just loving LS color scheme for the characters; its almost hypnotic.

• And what do you guys think was Yoshimizu Kagami's reaction when he was shown the OP? I can picture him crying manly tears .
Sushi-Y: Where did you got that avatar? Looks great. Very nicely done.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 23:47   Link #711
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
That's why I say it's a faithful adaptation. The manga is pretty much exactly what you see here, a bunch of random daily life topics presented in no particular order. Lucky Star has always been a "page filler" type of manga on the magazines it serialized on: you see it here and there in between other mangas, they may share a loose common theme but no coherent story on their own.

You could say it's like an even less structured Azumanga, I guess.
Oh the other hand, the otaku and moe content is quite high, which means otakus will love this, while others will struggle.
It's not the type of content so much as the technical timing. I'm actually enjoying the manga, and I felt that the technical timing spoiled some of the better jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
Just a thought: what you are percieving as "poor" timing is just a matter of cultural differences, I think. The timing and pace of Japanese humour, whether manzai, or most others, just doesn't fit with what we're used to in the West. You are judging it based on your cultural expectations, and that's not wrong, but keep in mind that it's not going to match up with your expectations.

Personally, I've always struggled to see what was funny in Japanese comic routines, although it's usually easier in movies and anime. Just...not always. Heck, there were plenty of times in Aaumanga that I just didn't see what was supposed to be funny...it's just that the characters had won me over by then, so I didn't care.
That's a very good proposal, and I think this is true of a LOT of people. I'm not so sure it's true of me, though.
I tend to "get" a lot more Japanese shows, and I believe part of that is because I've been watching so much of it since I was a child. And not just catching dubbed shows on Saturday morning television in the US, but original-language Japanese programming, and a lot of it. That probably contributes to my extreme distaste for most dubs, with the exception of those that have more "western style" presentation and dialogue timing that I can stomach watching in English (Kiki's Delivery Service--aside from the voice for Gigi--and Gundam Wing being two examples).
Despite my lifetime of exposure to nearly as much Japanese media as American, I'm still learning tons about the culture, and only now learning the language to any usable degree, so I certainly don't claim to be a cultural expert. However, I can be brought to tears of laughter from a cheesy manzai routine while my friends stand dumbfounded, so I'd say I've leaped the culture gap for interpreting the technical timing of comedy.

That actually alienates me somewhat from American fans. Just like I was mentioning that may people, even fans, didn't "get" Haruhi because they didn't catch so many of the subtle culture (including pop-culture) points, many take away completely different impressions of a series that we all may like. To be the only one laughing--or the only one NOT laughing--is a pretty awkward feeling. And the discussions afterward can make me the odd man out, too.
It's my hope that the continued invasion of Japanese media, ESPECIALLY undubbed, will change those sorts of situations. I'm prepared, though, that my future trips to Japan may make me the odd-man out again for being too Western-minded instead of too Eastern-minded.

I'm rambling... Back on topic: I expect the content of the next episode will be very, very similar, but I think that we'll see improved timing. Unfortunately, I think that even if it does improve and I get to say "I told you so" to many, that I'll be at a loss as to explain the differences so that I can successfully "tell them so".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
When did i say it was a argue? & yeah, its all down to personal tastes at the end of the day.
No, I wasn't implying that it was an argument, I was just stating that I agreed with your point that the music was appropriate, but I hadn't said it wasn't. My criticism wasn't the appropriateness of the music, but just the quality of it. That synth horn sounds EXACTLY like an eight-key toy synth I had as a child two decades ago. No joking. It sounded awful.

I really wonder if this first episode was rushed, done "early", or if the planning process was different for it than previous KyoAni productions. It may be as simple as some different staff members in particular positions. Watching the progression from this episode to later episodes will be very interesting for me. Azumanga Daioh, for example, improved its pacing by leaps and bounds. Aria's animation subtly became smoother over its run. Haruhi and Kanon surprised me, though, by having continuous style in most aspects from beginning to end (with the exceptions of the Live a Live episode in Haruhi and the episode containing the final battle in Nayuki's arc).
So, like a good nerd, I'm waiting with eager curiosity.

...I think I'm becoming one of those posters.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 00:22   Link #712
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Wow... Why did SF-S make their karaoke fonts so hard to read?

My eyes hurt.
Old 2007-04-11, 01:04   Link #713
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

To go with the sig I made earlier:

An avatar

And all are up for grabs!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 01:12   Link #714
tritoch

I think SF is testing out their karaoke timing and us fans are the QCer

I just put the whole thing on play... talk about MOE explosion.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 01:39   Link #715
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Still waiting for the second episodes... Its going to be great...

Also made myself a siggy for Lucky Star and a new release coming soon... ^_^
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 02:13   Link #716
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I *finally* got to sit down and watch the first episode.......

I got exactly what I anticipated in the content. Thumbs up! (I almost felt like I was flipping the pages of the manga but with color and range depth).

The OP was unexpected but very entertaining (it screams for frame by frame examination).

I sense Lucky Channel TV will subversively allow the staffers and VAs to blow off steam and inject some humanity at their fans.

Many little favorite bits but Kona's version of her meeting Tsukasa versus "reality" The BGM ... simple and subtle, with that building sense of a slow smile into a grin.

Okay... slobbering done - I'm not blown away but thoroughly okay with what I see so far.

I will say I thought there were some scene transition oddities (pertaining to the timing/cultural posts above) that were just strange editing --- and, yes, I'm familiar with japanese comedy structure --- it actually reminded me a bit of British Python/Goon skit shifts at times (very confusing to people unfamiliar with 'comic timing' from different perspectives).
I suspect it is just the director's way of handling the "koma" roots of the material. 1-2-BAM-gah and variation thereof.

Pertaining to the excellent speedsub from SF-S: thanks for the effort - the only "whine" I have is that when the text is multi-line, it often covers up the character's faces in a scene. Contradictorially, I like the large font - easy on the eyes. That said... providing the srt file is nice for those of us who like to tinker.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-11 at 02:58.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 02:18   Link #717
Raniie

I've created a Lucky☆Star Fan File Sharing Profile page on DivShare.

http://luckystar.divshare.com/

What's at the website?
Basically a host for direct downloads of this series. This also means anybody else with a DivShare account and join the profile can also upload files too. So anyone can share files relating to Lucky☆Star!
Raniie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 04:18   Link #718
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

even though the character designs are simple, its a very addicting show!!
just saw episode 1 and i like it so far!
its just that the lucky channel segment at the end of lucky star...for some reason i didn't really find that one too funny....hopefully in the next episode...
and i guess lucky star doesn't have an ending theme song??
i guess the opening was good enough already
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 04:46   Link #719
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
even though the character designs are simple, its a very addicting show!!
More like an addicting OP..... damn those dancing moe girls!
Old 2007-04-11, 06:15   Link #720
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen