AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-30, 16:14   Link #1721
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm mixed on the camera angle issue... after all, the "talking heads" syndrome is about 80% of the comic as well. OTOH, an anime adaptation means the director *CAN* let the camera swing out and in and around -- giving us an expanded interpretation of the characters rather than just "doing a 4-koma with motion"

Haruhi was sourced from a light novel series so all they had to work with was the written descriptions and the very rare piece of illustration.

The more I think about it... it *would* be nice to let the animated medium do more with the same material....
Old 2007-04-30, 16:47   Link #1722
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
it is still pretty odd and makes me wonder what high bar was set for this series. Like Skane says.... it is a pretty pure presentation of the manga material for the most part.... the Lucky Channel segment (original material) seems to be very well received (even though personally I'd rather see more Lucky*Star source material)... they must have expected some knock'em'dead level of buzz that I find an unrealistic expectation.
Well that's like when a sports team fires a head coach just because he doesn't win a championship. Even if the team is performing well, all else considered.

If that's the attitude they have, then this will only be the first of many staff departures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Secondly, compared to, say, Haruhi, there are fewer interesting camera angles and compositions. It is very rare that we see anything other than (1) head and shoulders shots or (2) top half of the figures. More visual variety would be good, full length shots, distance shots, odd angles etc. I think the variety may be increasing but a quick review of episode 3 reveals that those two compositions account for at least 90% of all shots.
So what? If you want SHnY, you know where to find it. Lucky Star isn't Haruhi and it's not fair to compare the two. This is the curse of success, like the many dramas that Gainax has gone through. You do something popular and everyone says, "That was great! Now do it again." But you say, "No, I want to try something different." And the response is "No! Different is bad! You have to do everything just how you did it before. You suck!"

Fancy lighting effects, wierd camera angles, 3d renderings, and all that worked for SHnY. But it won't work for LS. IMO, it'd ruin LS because the beauty of the 4koma is in its minimalism.

edit: This could also turn out to be a lose-lose decision. If the nature of the show changes significantly, they risk upsetting the people who already like the show. Whereas the critics, it seems to me, would not be satisfied with anything less than significant changes.

There's a proverb about not rocking a boat in mid-stream, or something.

(yes,i know the real proverb,i just like mixing metaphors for fun)

Last edited by Telliamed; 2007-04-30 at 19:45. Reason: no reason to bump
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 16:53   Link #1723
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm mixed on the camera angle issue... after all, the "talking heads" syndrome is about 80% of the comic as well. OTOH, an anime adaptation means the director *CAN* let the camera swing out and in and around -- giving us an expanded interpretation of the characters rather than just "doing a 4-koma with motion"

Haruhi was sourced from a light novel series so all they had to work with was the written descriptions and the very rare piece of illustration.

The more I think about it... it *would* be nice to let the animated medium do more with the same material....
While the show still hasn't moved far beyond "talking heads", so far we've seen a bit more creativity on that end. A bit more animation, and what's there is smoother. Konata moving around during the conversation at the train station struck me as one example of that improvement.

I think that it's just going to take a bit to spread its wings, so to speak. I don't expect it to depart greatly from what we've seen, but Azumanga Daioh went through the same "growth spurts" to reach its full potential.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 17:15   Link #1724
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Items like the festival or the roadtrip to the beach, (trying to think of other outdoor events) .... I can think of a few sequences where they could run a bit wilder than close shots -- we'll see what they decide to do with those.

The meat of the material is in the verbal wordplay and "daily chatting and small talk" they engage in though... and there's something perfect about the camera angle that leaves tiny little heads chatting amidst a Large Backdrop .... something nicely metaphorical about it.
Old 2007-04-30, 17:25   Link #1725
ZODDGUTS

Good to hear the Director got the axe. So far watching this series I only had a few chuckles but no laugh out loud moments. This show to me seems nothing more then a slice at life anime with hardly any comedy well they try at comedy but mostly fail.

The first several minutes of the first episode was extremly bad they just went on and on and on with dialogue about food but NOTHING was funny about it what the hell where they thinking? With the new director being the same guy who did Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu this show can still be saved now that anime had some laugh out moments.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 17:38   Link #1726
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

OTZ... people... get over the fact that L*S doesn't summarise itself with only episode 1... (not targeted at the above poster particularly, but it appears that ep 1 haunt much fellows beyond healthy reasoning...)

the fact the new director has done FMP?F doesn't guarantee the following episodes will have "100% hit" humor anyway (especially if they still follow closely the original material)
Old 2007-04-30, 17:46   Link #1727
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Good to hear the Director got the axe. So far watching this series I only had a few chuckles but no laugh out loud moments. This show to me seems nothing more then a slice at life anime with hardly any comedy well they try at comedy but mostly fail.

The first several minutes of the first episode was extremly bad they just went on and on and on with dialogue about food but NOTHING was funny about it what the hell where they thinking? With the new director being the same guy who did Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu this show can still be saved now that anime had some laugh out moments.
Doesn't look like he's familiar with Lucky*Star's 4-koma/manga or the type of humor it uses (so blaming the director for the material is a misfire) .... this may not be the series for him????
Old 2007-04-30, 18:06   Link #1728
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
They'd better keep the karaoke D:
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 18:17   Link #1729
ZODDGUTS

I haven't really gotten into the show I find the characters to be very likeable but the comedy feels flat. I enjoyed Azumanga, Pani Poni Dash, Hidamari Sketch and Strawberry Marshmallow but this show hasn't really click with me.

Yes I do blame the director for his preformance on the the series really the food dialouge in the first episode should have been cut shorter he should have notice it felt dragged out with nothing really funny about it. There were also other bits that had me yawning a bit. Eps 2 and onwards were better then the 1st episode was still a lot of room for improvement.

Quote:
Doesn't look like he's familiar with Lucky*Star's 4-koma/manga or the type of humor it uses (so blaming the director for the material is a misfire) .... this may not be the series for him????
I tend from time to time read comic strips from Newspapers really like Garfield, Peanuts and several others so I doubt that I wouldn't like 4-koma stuff. And wasn't Azumanga 4-koma? I loved that show so I don't see me not getting into 4-koma comc strips. Also I liked them in manga when they have them as omakes section.

I don't know maybe I had to high expectations for this series it's not BAD but it's not great either.

I'm not expecting the new director to changed the overtone of the series or to there to be big changes but to give a "umph" that was missing in this series or something like that lol. Like the comedy bits ending up better executed and places that could end up feeling dragged out(i.e.food dialogue bit) not end up happening because he'll take a notice.

Really hope best for this series because I don't want it to fell.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2007-04-30 at 18:51.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 20:13   Link #1730
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
the fact the new director has done FMP?F doesn't guarantee the following episodes will have "100% hit" humor anyway
I want to see Kona-chan in a Bonta-kun outfit!

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 20:18   Link #1731
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can't dispute on a "4-koma genre" scale with Azumanga/Ichigo-Masimaro ... Lucky*Star comes in a little short but I'll never quite know whether its because those came first or not. Azumanga specifically covered the three years of high school and so had an overall chronology of events. Ichigo Masimaro covered specific and seasonal event in one year. In L*S, although there's a rough chronology, a lot of the gags are pretty timeless or time-independent ... (more like Peanuts or Zits where its like Groundhog Day on a yearly basis).

I've decided that I like the drawing style in L*S better than I.M. and AzuDa independent of anything else (especially the way he draws their eyes). But really... I like each series for slightly different reasons and would hate to have to choose just one.
Old 2007-04-30, 22:31   Link #1732
BOZZY

I hope this is the right place to ask, I would have made a new thread but that seems to be limited to the admins and mods, but how do the different fansubbers match up in terms of translation?
BOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 22:45   Link #1733
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I wish they keep the drama in the anime instead of spilling em out like some ill conceived publicity stunt.
Old 2007-04-30, 23:17   Link #1734
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I wish they keep the drama in the anime instead of spilling em out like some ill conceived publicity stunt.
Next week, on Lucky*Star:

Spoiler:

Is that what you really want?
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:26   Link #1735
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post

Spoiler:

Not a bad idea. Call me crazy, but I like it.

So, Konata singing the opening song of FMP Fumoffu was a sort of foreshadowing, I guess?
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:36   Link #1736
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:

Spoiler:

I need to make a comic out of that. XD
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:37   Link #1737
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Spoiler:

At which point Kona equips a Cleaver, Kagami gets a gun and Miyuki gets a Baseball bat and they all go at it Watanagashi style. And it's all like "URG" HRNH" *Smash* "AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" and nobody is left standing. Lucky Star then ends 18 episodes early.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:38   Link #1738
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask, I would have made a new thread but that seems to be limited to the admins and mods, but how do the different fansubbers match up in terms of translation?
As good as any place I guess
LC is fast (so their error rate is a bit higher and they run on the literal side and might miss a few puns) ... they've been improving though. Their technical skills were beginner at first but they've been improving there as well. Its really great when they produce a really small release file.

a.f.k. -- very good technically though I'm not fond of the pink font against the pink/purple palette that permeates L*S. Their translation is very good... though though my personal view is that they overwesternize at times. They've reworked a few lines of dialog to account for the difficulty in translating wordplay or jokes (rather than use footnotes). They seem to be the most popular.

Eien no Anime -- at the moment, they're my favorite in font/color choices. Their translation of the first two episodes is also my favorite because they've managed to keep most of the meaning without sounding unnatural or requiring footnotes. They're running a bit slow as they seem to be re-organizing their web presence (only two eps done so far).

I re-assess every few episodes and obviously the preceding was just my personal view at the moment.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-01 at 00:04.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 00:02   Link #1739
Shana

Quote:

Spoiler:

I want this, I want this, I want... Yuri in L*S? .
Old 2007-05-01, 00:06   Link #1740
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

You know, it makes me wonder...Do any of those girls even have male friends? I mean, if it's an all-girls school, I can say nothing, but for a coed-school, I kinda wish there are more substance to the males. The parents are one thing, but male students are another.

Especially since the OP hints that it'll end up being 99.999999% female-centric.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen