AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 49 50.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 32.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-13, 08:00   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
VROOM VROOOM needs a gif. I will give half of my kidney to whoever does it.
Otherwise, this episode be ballin'. Brains Base needs moar car chase scenes though - they make them hilarious.

It's just not the same without the sound though (I'll give you a discount, cookies will do )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Somehow I though that Mikado would faint when Selty opened her helmet, I wonder if it's just me.
I like the short interaction between Mikado and Selty, kinda like Selty finding a friend she can confine in SeltyXMikado? LOL
I didn't think he would faint but I didn't expect him to look like he just got a pony. And Selty already has a friend she can confide in: Shizuo. At least, that's what their relationship looks like to me, and that's why I love seeing them together.

And I wonder if Izaya, Selty and Mikado will ever learn they've been chatting together on the internet for god knows how long. I'm sure Izaya already knows but the other two are probably clueless.
Old 2010-03-13, 08:35   Link #62
Sol Falling

Mikado's reaction to Selty's lie was ironic given the shit he'd been spewing at Anri just moments ago. I first thought of this given his 'cliche' line during the bullying incident, but anybody else notice how judgemental Mikado is? He can call bullies 'cliche', treat Anri like a stalker, and laugh at the 'lameness' of Kida's jokes and Selty's lying skills all he likes, but the truth is, when it comes to social interactions and confrontations with real people, Mikado's just a complete pussy. Jesus Christ, how shallow can you get? One moment he's stammering complete idiocy in an attempt to convince Anri he isn't 'two-timing' her , and the next he's silently treating her like a freak because he 'imagines' she might be stalking him.

His totally inappropriate reaction to Selty's face totally reminded me of Shinra too.

Am not convinced at all by the ending scene. How easy is it to give lame characters 'secret abilities' to give the audience an escapist template to feel good about? Sorry, guys; Mikado is still 100% from my perspective.

Rest of the episode was pretty good though. I'll admit that Uzaya was more entertaining than annoying this episode, but am I the only one who finds Kida way funner to watch? That exaggerated 'Biishi!' or whatever it was (zombie-gg translated it as 'good luck') nearly killed me. Actually, I found the first half of the episode more enjoyable accordingly (on that note, Durarara's constant referencing still isn't working for me, unfortunately: I'd choose neither BiriBiri nor Himegami to be main characters--Kuroko-sama is where I'm at.).
Old 2010-03-13, 10:19   Link #63
Noata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Mikado's reaction to Selty's lie was ironic given the shit he'd been spewing at Anri just moments ago. I first thought of this given his 'cliche' line during the bullying incident, but anybody else notice how judgemental Mikado is? He can call bullies 'cliche', treat Anri like a stalker, and laugh at the 'lameness' of Kida's jokes and Selty's lying skills all he likes, but the truth is, when it comes to social interactions and confrontations with real people, Mikado's just a complete pussy. Jesus Christ, how shallow can you get? One moment he's stammering complete idiocy in an attempt to convince Anri he isn't 'two-timing' her , and the next he's silently treating her like a freak because he 'imagines' she might be stalking him.

His totally inappropriate reaction to Selty's face totally reminded me of Shinra too.

Am not convinced at all by the ending scene. How easy is it to give lame characters 'secret abilities' to give the audience an escapist template to feel good about? Sorry, guys; Mikado is still 100% from my perspective.

Rest of the episode was pretty good though. I'll admit that Uzaya was more entertaining than annoying this episode, but am I the only one who finds Kida way funner to watch? That exaggerated 'Biishi!' or whatever it was (zombie-gg translated it as 'good luck') nearly killed me. Actually, I found the first half of the episode more enjoyable accordingly (on that note, Durarara's constant referencing still isn't working for me, unfortunately: I'd choose neither BiriBiri nor Himegami to be main characters--Kuroko-sama is where I'm at.).
The stalking scene was done for comedy, and you've never laughed at someones stupid jokes? Seems like you're grasping at straws to make it seem like Mikado is the worst character ever created.
Mikado was already set up to be the country-bumpkin type person who is bad at socializing. He came to Tokyo to try and change himself, and he even said he couldn't keep up with Otaku duo+Kida's type of conversation.
Old 2010-03-13, 11:58   Link #64
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
It was Kida that called the bullies cliche. Not Mikado. He doesn't laugh at the lameness of Kida's jokes. He just points out that they're not good. He doesn't teat Kida any differently just because he thinks his jokes are lame. He just thinks his jokes are lame. He can't help that. I mean, how is he supposed to? And I don't recall Mikado treating Anri like anything.

Besides that's an Ad hominem. Just because you're lacking in social skills does not mean you have poor judgement on whether someone is scary, unfunny or is a stalker. For the first two there's nothing to be judgemental about. It's either scary/funny or it isn't. Does he ever claim or give the impression he could do better? Not really. About the bullies he said "Not even I would be scared". Sounds to me like he's fully aware of his social ineptitude and takes it into account. He was quick to react to Anri's joke, but that was because of his poor social skills, not despite it. That was the joke. Having poor social skills will make you edgy.

And about him judging Celty to be lying. Given the general tone, I think the joke was that Celty is so bad at lying that even a socially inept person can tell.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-13 at 12:23.
Old 2010-03-13, 20:51   Link #65
Jarmel

Great episode. I, as well, am a victim of Wiki so I wasn't shocked but the way they did it was great. The music made the moment. It also explains alot of stuff as well. Hope it can keep this pace and quality.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2010-03-13 at 21:23.
Old 2010-03-13, 21:50   Link #66
Raskolnikov
Former Siberian

Quote:

You hate Mikado with such a passion that it's starting to feel weird. I wont ask why though, not the thread for it, etc.

Is it just me or do we need another 4 Dollars episode? I require info on those four.
Old 2010-03-13, 22:19   Link #67
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Is it just me or do we need another 4 Dollars episode? I require info on those four.
The otaku gang? Yes, I would love an episode where we have Erika and Walker co-narrate (because I just can't imagine one without the other), sure it'd be informative and funny as heck. And, if Mikado was contacting the Dollars in this episode (to me it looked like he put all the pieces together and then sent out a message to the other Dollars to keep an eye out for the head and maybe a few other things) then we should see them again. And of course, we have to know how that car chase ended!
Old 2010-03-13, 22:29   Link #68
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
we have to know how that car chase ended!
Yeah, that didn't seem like we saw all of that chase. The thing I can't figure out is where that fits in. Was it shown out of sequence? There have been a few of those, but not too many, so maybe not. If they were chasing the cleaners before they showed at Mikado's apartment, why weren't they there to witness the arrival of Celty, etc.?
Old 2010-03-14, 00:17   Link #69
Godslayer
人間・失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Yeah, that didn't seem like we saw all of that chase. The thing I can't figure out is where that fits in. Was it shown out of sequence? There have been a few of those, but not too many, so maybe not. If they were chasing the cleaners before they showed at Mikado's apartment, why weren't they there to witness the arrival of Celty, etc.?
though this sounds foolish, but there's chance they're getting trouble due violating red light hence they're late to the scene ?

lol as if Togusa would even care with some small time police ^^
Old 2010-03-14, 00:40   Link #70
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

The Dollars/Mikado plot confuses me. Is this series trying to pull a Fight Club? Mikado was subconsciously part of Dollars?

The chat room we see episode to episode, is that from the Dollars website or elsewhere?
Old 2010-03-14, 00:58   Link #71
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
The Dollars/Mikado plot confuses me. Is this series trying to pull a Fight Club? Mikado was subconsciously part of Dollars?

The chat room we see episode to episode, is that from the Dollars website or elsewhere?
Don't think so, the ending scene of ep 10 implies that he's always been part of the Dollars and he's just been feign ignorance about them.

Chatroom doesn't have anything to do with them since they talk about the Dollars in there along with rumors of Ikebukuro.
Old 2010-03-14, 01:15   Link #72
Lightseeker

Quote:
I first thought of this given his 'cliche' line during the bullying incident, but anybody else notice how judgemental Mikado is? He can call bullies 'cliche', treat Anri like a stalker, and laugh at the 'lameness' of Kida's jokes and Selty's lying skills all he likes, but the truth is, when it comes to social interactions and confrontations with real people, Mikado's just a complete pussy.
Look, if you want to diss a character, at least use the right fact. Kida is the one that called the bullies "cliche".
Old 2010-03-14, 02:13   Link #73
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Interesting and really funny episode.
Mikado's imagination and Izaya's antics are hilarious!

And in the end I though Mikado would say this:
Spoiler:

Somehow the scene looked awfully appropriate for such.xD
Old 2010-03-14, 02:49   Link #74
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Man, Mikado is an idiot. Suspecting Anri is stalking him JUST from her remembering his name during the time they handed in their application to the school? When Mikado has already a reputation for having a weird yet memorable name, to the point that even the Dollars member has heard of him despite not meeting him face to face? Facepalm worthy, man, facepalm worthy.

This is especially mind boggling when it was really him who approached Anri in the first place, and he volunteered to be class rep out of his own free will. And he has the gall to call her a stalker? Lost major points with me man. >_>

In any case, the plot thickens. Now I can't really decide whether or not to have Celty reunited with her head (or her being reunited with her body?), as now I particularly like head!Celty with Seiji along with body!Celty with Shinra. Whatever the case maybe though, a proper reunion with the two Celty is one thing I'm looking forward to, as they're separate entities now. Question is, where did head!Celty go...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-03-14, 03:36   Link #75
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Man, Mikado is an idiot. Suspecting Anri is stalking him JUST from her remembering his name during the time they handed in their application to the school? When Mikado has already a reputation for having a weird yet memorable name, to the point that even the Dollars member has heard of him despite not meeting him face to face? Facepalm worthy, man, facepalm worthy.

This is especially mind boggling when it was really him who approached Anri in the first place, and he volunteered to be class rep out of his own free will. And he has the gall to call her a stalker? Lost major points with me man. >_>
To be fair Mikado isn't aware that his name is famous, only Erika and Walker had noted it being interesting back ep.1. He's just surprised that she knew about him before he met her. She even supposedly marked him in attendance because she like it. Mikado probably doesn't see it as anything special, so he was weirded out the she would remember it out of hundreds of students on the first day. Considering she was just teasing him she purposely wanted lead him into that line of thinking.

IIRC, I don't think he called her a stalker outright either, It's not like he would have minded if she was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
In any case, the plot thickens. Now I can't really decide whether or not to have Celty reunited with her head (or her being reunited with her body?), as now I particularly like head!Celty with Seiji along with body!Celty with Shinra. Whatever the case maybe though, a proper reunion with the two Celty is one thing I'm looking forward to, as they're separate entities now. Question is, where did head!Celty go...
Poor Celty, everyone wants a part of her.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-03-14 at 03:46. Reason: tags
Old 2010-03-14, 05:00   Link #76
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0d_sl4yer View Post
though this sounds foolish, but there's chance they're getting trouble due violating red light hence they're late to the scene ?

lol as if Togusa would even care with some small time police ^^
Maybe we won't see them again till the end of the show, where we find out that they missed out on all the action in a police station...
Old 2010-03-14, 05:37   Link #77
Lightseeker

I thought the part where Mikado thought of Anri as a stalker was just for comedic purpose, never thought people would have taken it so seriously.
Old 2010-03-14, 07:25   Link #78
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It was a joke to highlight Mikado's social ineptitude. That's all.
Old 2010-03-14, 09:08   Link #79
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseeker View Post
I thought the part where Mikado thought of Anri as a stalker was just for comedic purpose, never thought people would have taken it so seriously.
Same, I guess the little silly cutout puppets didn't give away that you were supposed to laugh not over analyze the situation.
Old 2010-03-14, 10:44   Link #80
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseeker View Post
Well, considering that the show hasn't ever used Mikado's actions for true comedic purposes, I highly doubt they would start now. One might as well argue that Mikado running off with Anri w/out Kida in an earlier episode was done for comedic purposes as well...

If it was coming from Kida, then people might have a point. But coming from Mikado, I seriously can't see it was done to lighten the mood up, as he never has been used as such.

Speaking of Kida... at least he understands that the situation would've been 'perfect' if head!Celty was also Mikado's osananajimi. Just goes to show how idealized the childhood friend lovers trope is in Japan; it's right up there with the girl being a princess lol. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Closed Thread