AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-12, 17:30   Link #1061
cyth
Banned

I still believe discrimination is a bit of a strong word they're using. Granted, it's institutionalized, but it's just a bunch of immature kids we're talking about here. I've attended such a high school myself, where even teachers were trying to brainwash us into thinking we're somehow better than our peers. You really need a mature mind to see beyond the propaganda.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:39   Link #1062
Lazy cat

^
then it is discrimination made by the students themselves, but even so it is discrimination, how it was showed on ep2 the students have more power than usal in this scholl and that only turn things more unbalanced between both courses(the student counsil can't acept course2 students, and the moral comitee needs strong students, not to mention that thus far those two clubs seemed be to be the most important within the scholl).
Lazy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:40   Link #1063
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I still believe discrimination is a bit of a strong word they're using. Granted, it's institutionalized, but it's just a bunch of immature kids we're talking about here. I've attended such a high school myself, where even teachers were trying to brainwash us into thinking we're somehow better than others. You really need a mature mind to see beyond the propaganda.
I was just using the term used in the show. Admittedly it does make a lot more sense if I just treat the whole heirarchy as analogous to the type of ridiculous social hierachies you get in regular high schools. Though if that's the case, then it becomes a different problem of why a story about a magical school is giving so much SRSBSNS focus to a "revenge of the nerds" style plot.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:43   Link #1064
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
CR translations are no good. Even without intimate knowledge of source material, it's clear in this context that they shouldn't be translating "ordinary people" to "civilians". Good grief >_< Saying the students are not civilians is like what the hell.

I always thought Suzune should have a lower voice, *shock*

That lover joke, that cornering of Azusa, that eat your words to Hattori, Tatsuya's horrible personality animated is just plain awesome. They even animated Hattori's mental simulation. Really no complaints about the episode except for CR's translations.
Yeah. Shizuku's voice seemed awfully squeaky to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
So it looks like the flashback from episode 1 was in line with Tatsuya's abilities - he clearly still possesses the combat prowess from the war a few years ago. It was more of a physical thing though (extreme agility that allowed him to take out Hattori even before he gets to cast his spell). We still do not know what his current situation is with his magical powers.

The mystery now is why Tatsuya's practical test scores are so low. From that one scene in the middle of the episode, we can see that for some reason or other, the machinery that they had to operate wasn't really compatible with Tatsuya for some reason - or at least, he wasn't able to output his magical powers in the way that he wanted to. Perhaps his magical source is "wired" differently from the other mages in the school, or that his powers were being suppressed/sealed somehow (which would still allow him to take out the VP like so at the end of the episode).
I'm afraid you've misunderstood that scene. Everything was working fine. Tatsuya casting speed was just friggin' slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I still believe discrimination is a bit of a strong word they're using. Granted, it's institutionalized, but it's just a bunch of immature kids we're talking about here. I've attended such a high school myself, where even teachers were trying to brainwash us into thinking we're somehow better than our peers. You really need a mature mind to see beyond the propaganda.
It's not just propaganda though. Students are placed in course 1 and 2 based on test scores and results. So it's not calling it a stretch to say that course 1 students are better than course 2. It is also fact that course 2 students are replacements for those course 1 students that may fall prey to accidents. What should have been a small sense of accomplishment has grown into an ugly lump of pride and superiority. It's not right to just look down on another because of superior magical ability, but this change transition isn't so easy to grasp or escape than you think.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:59   Link #1065
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I always thought Suzune should have a lower voice, *shock*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Yeah. Shizuku's voice seemed awfully squeaky to me.
Agreed about Suzune, but it still works well. OTOH, Shizuku's voice is perfect; just as I hear it reading the manga or novels.

I've actually been quite impressed by the voice casting so far. Everyone (with one glaring exception) seems to be near perfectly cast. I can't correlate Miyuki's voice with her character, though. No knock on her VA, who's doing a fine job, I just don't think her voice fits.
Old 2014-04-12, 18:02   Link #1066
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Agreed about Suzune, but it still works well. OTOH, Shizuku's voice is perfect; just as I hear it reading the manga or novels.

I've actually been quite impressed by the voice casting so far. Everyone (with one glaring exception) seems to be near perfectly cast. I can't correlate Miyuki's voice with her character, though. No knock on her VA, who's doing a fine job, I just don't think her voice fits.
That seems to be one of the glaring faults. Though it is by no means on part of the star VAs. The voices just don't click.
Old 2014-04-12, 18:11   Link #1067
Mentar
Banned

Interesting how different perceptions can be.

I agree with Kaoru Chujo, Hayamin is _perfect_ for Miyuki, and she has been since the Drama CD. Looking forward to the scenes when she's actually really mad and scary
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 18:14   Link #1068
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy cat View Post
^
then it is discrimination made by the students themselves, but even so it is discrimination, how it was showed on ep2 the students have more power than usal in this scholl and that only turn things more unbalanced between both courses(the student counsil can't acept course2 students, and the moral comitee needs strong students, not to mention that thus far those two clubs seemed be to be the most important within the scholl).
Actually, the school itself discriminates. In addition to the uniforms, Course 1 students have teachers while the Course 2 make do with self-study, and there is that matter of the Student Council which the Course 2 students can't be members of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
This Hatori, he cares more about school's image rather than the student's devotion.
He had a point, though. Discipline Comitee members are expected to be able to kick ass. It's like the physical requirements to enter the police.

Granted that he was wrong about Tatsuya's inability to defeat him, but he had good reasons to think as he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And where exactly is that leap from bragging rights to discrimination?
I may have misunderstood your interrogations. What is it exactly you don't understand about the situation?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2014-04-12 at 18:28.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 18:17   Link #1069
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I was glad they managed to fit in Tatsuya owning that jerk before the time ran out. Really not a surprise when you think about it. His opponent was working on the assumption that Tatsuya would just stand there and try to attack. Now whether it was all magic that got him behind his opponent or partly his physical abilities is something I didn't quite confirm. Though seemed more magic just from the instant kill bit XD.

Good luck keeping a low profile after that . Just shows how insanely good this guy must have been when he was at his best. While I'm sure he's been downgraded in ability, clearly does show that Miyuki wasn't overly bragging about his ability in a fight.

Really does seem like these siblings really do react in place of the other. Rudeness to one is just taken care of by the other.

Not surprised that the situation between the classes are so toxic. Definitely some respect for Mari for inviting Tatsuya partially in order to help do something about that situation. It's a small step, but at least she's attempting to work a culture change in. Of course she had other reasons, but hey even a partial motive is something.

In terms of the voice cast I'm pretty happy with all the choices. Maybe iffy on Azusa, but mostly because the voice is too squeaky to me in general. But I'm going into it without any source material knowledge and that can definitely play a role.
Old 2014-04-12, 18:20   Link #1070
BW95
Banned

What's with this subtitle? Essential Singularity?
Old 2014-04-12, 18:35   Link #1071
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I was glad they managed to fit in Tatsuya owning that jerk before the time ran out. Really not a surprise when you think about it. His opponent was working on the assumption that Tatsuya would just stand there and try to attack. Now whether it was all magic that got him behind his opponent or partly his physical abilities is something I didn't quite confirm. Though seemed more magic just from the instant kill bit XD.

Good luck keeping a low profile after that . Just shows how insanely good this guy must have been when he was at his best. While I'm sure he's been downgraded in ability, clearly does show that Miyuki wasn't overly bragging about his ability in a fight.

Really does seem like these siblings really do react in place of the other. Rudeness to one is just taken care of by the other.

Not surprised that the situation between the classes are so toxic. Definitely some respect for Mari for inviting Tatsuya partially in order to help do something about that situation. It's a small step, but at least she's attempting to work a culture change in. Of course she had other reasons, but hey even a partial motive is something.

In terms of the voice cast I'm pretty happy with all the choices. Maybe iffy on Azusa, but mostly because the voice is too squeaky to me in general. But I'm going into it without any source material knowledge and that can definitely play a role.
Well, Asuza is portrayed as a small animal so...

p/s to mods: I'm not going to be banned, am i?
Politics: Capitalism

-Silentwolfie-
bietchie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:06   Link #1072
kagato3

Quote:
And where exactly is that leap from bragging rights to discrimination?
Have you been to a high school anywhere?
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:08   Link #1073
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I may have misunderstood your interrogations. What is it exactly you don't understand about the situation?
Nothing. I see what's happening: I just want an actual explanation as to why. It certainly doesn't logically follow that there would be such a strong and systematic discrimination against students simply for getting better grades. The discrimination is so strong that your social status in the outside world apparently has no influence. That's quite unlike anything I've ever seen in reality. There's a fundamental gap in explanation that's missing in this social phenomenon that requires a bit more explanation than what we can logically deduce.

On a separate point, it would also significantly make this plot more engaging if they could explain and show it as well, because then it wouldn't feel so cheap, artificial and informed. For example, if the Class 1 students had actual understandable grievances, then this would not only make a lot more sense but also a lot more complex and down to earth (and actually ambitious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Have you been to a high school anywhere?
Not that it matters but I went to two wildly different types. One was a really crappy blatantly underfunded state school and another was a more privileged public school.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:18   Link #1074
c933103
FTNR

Btw, I see some comments on the show and would like novel readers explain their view on this without spoiler...

Last edited by LKK; 2014-04-12 at 23:33. Reason: Removed question. Ask in Spoiler-restriced Q&A thread
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:21   Link #1075
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
Well, Asuza is portrayed as a small animal so...

p/s to mods: I'm not going to be banned, am i?
Yeah, I wouldn't say it doesn't fit the type of character they are going for with her. I just don't like how she sounds in a general sense .
Old 2014-04-12, 19:22   Link #1076
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Nothing. I see what's happening: I just want an actual explanation as to why. It certainly doesn't logically follow that there would be such a strong and systematic discrimination against students simply for getting better grades. The discrimination is so strong that your social status in the outside world apparently has no influence. That's quite unlike anything I've ever seen in reality. There's a fundamental gap in explanation that's missing in this social phenomenon that requires a bit more explanation than what we can logically deduce.
There is a practical reason for the practical discrimination (not enough teachers to go around).

The social aspect derives from it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:31   Link #1077
HandofFate

Quote:
Don't see how you can logically think that these differences WOULDN'T cause discrimination.

The school system itself separates Weeds and Bloomers, the school system literally says course 2 students are reserves and only there in case a course 1 student is injured and cannot continue in the school anymore and has to quit.

You think they're just going to hang in this Magic High School, and that's it?
They're going to go out into the real world after High School. Magicians are already a rare breed, in the real world, their magic ability IS their societal status.

You don't think a sense of superiority creates discrimination? Most sources of discrimination aren't even grounded in logic in the first place.

People IRL discriminate harsher for lesser stuff than in this series like making less money or color of skin.
Old 2014-04-12, 19:37   Link #1078
Caelus

Spoiler for Comparison to the manga:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-04-13 at 01:30. Reason: Please use spoiler tags for comparisons to novels/manga
Caelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:40   Link #1079
venshade

so what's the current count of the Onii-sama of episode 2?
Old 2014-04-12, 20:50   Link #1080
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 2

That... that was a fight I guess?

All that drama about crappy practical skills and the MC one-shots the generic mook anyway. Whelp.

Otherwise this episode much the same as last week for me, only with already notable degradation in it's technical aspects. For such a dialogue heavy series, the writing doesn't exactly do much to carry it. Atleast Tatsuya can crack a joke once in awhile so that's something. Mari is probably the character I like most at the present, a sensible enough person who clearly has spunk. Oh and I guess we can add that Honoka girl to what it will most likely be Tatsuya's growing fangirl fanclub.

As far as the terminology is concerned, the anime does throw quite a bit you, but most of them aren't anything you couldn't figure out from the context. For example form what I have gathered Pisons are essentially the MP/mana/magic power/spirit power/aura/whatever of the series. CADs are modernized mediums where magic is channeled and controlled. Basically all commonplace magic stuff.

There is more obtuse stuff like Singularity or whatever that means in that means in this show's context. But I don't think would affect my enjoyment or lack thereof if I knew.

Last edited by LKK; 2014-04-12 at 23:31. Reason: removed quote
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural