AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 133 39.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 81 24.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 8.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 2.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 32 9.58%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-30, 15:35   Link #1161
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Edit: @Mughi that was actually a nice analysis of the situation. Though I don't fully agree on some points (blame ship opinions for such)... it offers a fresh view on things...
Thank you Twilight! I know it's really quite easy to slap shipper goggles back on and see some really wonderful relationship development based in this scene. If the coming movie really turns out to be a Ranka vs. Sheryl battle FTW with Alto, then this scene will come right back to the center of the arguments again at that time... but without knowing where the story is going and having nothing more than what has been actually SAID by the chara, I have to go with my analysis relationship wise...

Now to the board... Many of you KNOW this stuff, but you get so close to the story because it's well crafted. In the end, It all comes down to storytelling and flow... The animation can be literally ANYTHING imagined... When done skillfully like this, viewers tend to get so involved in the storyline and emotions, that they forget that they aren't watching real people with real intentions. There are NO COINCIDENCES! These characters are NOT REAL! HELLO! There are a huge team of people manipulating the situation behind all of that "digital celluloid". If someone turns towards the camera, then it took months of meetings on storyboards, story and layout drawings before the artists, timers, key animators, inbetweeners, cleanup artists, ink and painters, workbook staff, checkers and compositors get that turn to happen. Someone salutes, someone responds, someone turns away to face camera and "happens to miss" that salute. It was all carefully choreographed that way and physics be dammed if it serves the story.

Nuff' said?
Old 2008-09-30, 15:37   Link #1162
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That was harsh

- Tak
Even worse, I can't really respond to that post, otherwise he would say I admit it

Just watch that DYRL, actually the salute scene only happens right after showing Misa, Minmay was not in there, before or after the scene (I know she is in the ship, but she was not showing herself at that moment) So it was a lot less confusing than Frontier
Old 2008-09-30, 15:39   Link #1163
Radik

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor
I know ppl would recongize the salute homepage immediately, but I doubt ppl watching in TV would say that Ranka is looking at the wrong direction, or knowing the Alto is closer in Fronter than Quarter etc.
I think the problem here is people that did see the original salute are trying to make a direct comparison even though there's a huge difference in Macross Frontier: the LT hasn't been resolved yet. For that reason alone, it would make perfect sense to repeat the original scene but this time with both ships, and Alto saluting while flying in between them.
Old 2008-09-30, 15:41   Link #1164
magnuskn

Quote:
That was harsh

- Tak
But a truth. Look at the picture, people!

Altos VF-25 is flying up right next to Sheryl! Of course the salute was for her. Geeze.
Old 2008-09-30, 15:44   Link #1165
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
I think the problem here is people that did see the original salute are trying to make a direct comparison even though there's a huge difference in Macross Frontier: the LT hasn't been resolved yet. For that reason alone, it would make perfect sense to repeat the original scene but this time with both ships, and Alto saluting while flying in between them.
Agree. And Really, how many ppl can instantly say Ranka is looking at wrong direction when they see it at the first time?? (Again, not arguing whether she is looking at the right direction or not)
Old 2008-09-30, 15:55   Link #1166
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Agree. And Really, how many ppl can instantly say Ranka is looking at wrong direction when they see it at the first time?? (Again, not arguing whether she is looking at the right direction or not)
I think that because it's not obvious Alto is saluting Sheryl (and not both) what made this scene important. It's the same with the scene on the rooftop in 23 when Klan says Ai in place of Koi (for example).

It's all done to be ambiguous and keep to the audience POV the LT undecided.

With all the arguments made it's a FACT that Alto is suluting Sheryl, if this it's importnt or not it's open to debate.
Old 2008-09-30, 16:04   Link #1167
musouka

When I first saw the scene, it never even occurred to me that Alto was saluting both girls. And in an episode that seemed to be slightly more Ranka centric to make up for the lack these past few eps, I appreciated the obvious nod at the couple I prefer.

I don't know why it is some Ranka fans seem to have trouble with Alto and Sheryl's scenes together. I mean, as Alto burns a hole in the wall of Battle Galaxy and flies off with Ranka in his arms, I don't try to argue that he's secretly reminiscing about flying with Sheryl in the first episode. I don't claim that when Ranka confessed to him, he was secretly wishing Sheryl was doing the same.

It's really sad and pathetic when people can't allow ships to have their moments. Alto and Sheryl's scene last episode? Was about Alto and Sheryl. The salute? Was about Alto and Sheryl. Be happy with what you have instead of being greedy--the show doesn't revolve around your ship.
Old 2008-09-30, 16:04   Link #1168
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
And clearly you have disregarded each and every point I made as to why this is Sheryl x Alto to Hikaru x Misa. Clearly you're looking at this with subjective opinion as opposed to objective. Even so, you refuse to keep an open mind. It's pointless to continue.

I leave you to your thoughts on the matter.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-09-30, 16:17   Link #1169
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post

I don't know why it is some Ranka fans seem to have trouble with Alto and Sheryl's scenes together. I mean, as Alto burns a hole in the wall of Battle Galaxy and flies off with Ranka in his arms, I don't try to argue that he's secretly reminiscing about flying with Sheryl in the first episode. I don't claim that when Ranka confessed to him, he was secretly wishing Sheryl was doing the same.
By the same standard, I don't have a problem when Alto and Sheryl were inside the locker room together either .

Everything was fine until someone said Ranka ignored/didn't see/didn't respond the salute. I was just saying that had the director put Sheryl alone in the scene, than it would be a lot clearer. Then I just said it's unlikely that director goes all the trouble (put both in the scene) and tells us subtlely that Ranka didn't see it.

I am merely stating my assumption. I hope I am not in that "some Ranka fans" category you suggested
Old 2008-09-30, 16:20   Link #1170
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

ARGHHH!!

ITS A FRIGGIN' SALUTE!

For Macross' sake, even the most fanatical Japanese fans are not even close, and I mean, not even close to creating this entire session of confusing bullshit.

Look:

Alto saluted, Sheryl saluted back

That is it, no more, no less, lets leave it at that, sing some friendly tunes and call it a friggin day.

- Tak (Now its a good time for Bavarian alcoholic beverages)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-30, 16:23   Link #1171
Radik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
And clearly you have disregarded each and every point I made as to why this is Sheryl x Alto to Hikaru x Misa.
It's more a matter of not agreeing than outright disregarding your points. It's not even that I disagree with you that much, I personally would have preferred it if Quarter and Ranka didn't appear in the scene at all and Alto was flying in front of Battle Frontier while saluting. However, that's simply not the case. In the end the only thing I see is Alto saluting to both Sheryl and Ranka, and only Sheryl responds.

EDIT: nevermind, I'll just leave it at that like Tak said.
Old 2008-09-30, 16:28   Link #1172
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I prefer a light soda, myself. Or a cranberry juice. By the way, did we ever find out what it was that Alto gave Sheryl to drink, during their dinner?

Old 2008-09-30, 16:29   Link #1173
Tabris

Quote:
Adorable sister type does not long-term relationship make!
Which is why I said "Ranka is the adoramoe~ little sister you've always wanted to hug and pinch the cheeks of..."

I wish to have her as a little sister.
Old 2008-09-30, 16:30   Link #1174
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
Then she'd sing, and Vajra would crawl from under your bed...

I am going to have to think about it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-30, 16:35   Link #1175
magnuskn

Quote:
Which is why I said "Ranka is the adoramoe~ little sister you've always wanted to hug and pinch the cheeks of..."

Besides those pesky Vajra, you´re going to have Ozma and Brera as siblings. You really want that? ^^
Old 2008-09-30, 16:35   Link #1176
Tabris

You'd be thinking differently when you're riding on top of your new red vajra to get to work
Old 2008-09-30, 16:37   Link #1177
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Talking

Quote:
...I wish to have her as a little sister.
Ranka: "Tabris onee-chan, you're making me mad! Give me back my Vajra doll!"
Tabris: "Uh... Ranka-chan, your stomach is glowing again...."
<crashing shooting sounds outside>
Tabris: "OK, OK!!! Here's your stupid Ai-kun plushie! Now cut it out with the bugs already!! ...Mom! Ranka's wrecking the house with the bugs again just 'cause I had her dumb doll!"
Ranka: "HE'S NOT dumb! You take that back!"
<more crashing noise>
Mom downstairs: "Kids! Get along! Don't make me come up there!!!"

Old 2008-09-30, 16:49   Link #1178
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I prefer a light soda, myself. Or a cranberry juice. By the way, did we ever find out what it was that Alto gave Sheryl to drink, during their dinner?
It's champagne, and probably a parody of the label "Mumm". Notice the one-sided red "ribbon" on the neck.

Old 2008-09-30, 16:52   Link #1179
Wesley84

Quote:
You'd never hear the end of her goddamn crush.
Old 2008-09-30, 17:00   Link #1180
Father Hentai

Quote:

- Tak (Now its a good time for Bavarian alcoholic beverages)

or