AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-24, 06:17   Link #10001
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
So the US is sending one of their biggest aircraft carriers for purely defensive exercises? Considering how pushed the are from an economic pov, I'm just a little surprised at this.
Old 2010-11-24, 06:32   Link #10002
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
So the US is sending one of their biggest aircraft carriers for purely defensive exercises? Considering how pushed the are from an economic pov, I'm just a little surprised at this.
Actually, I was expecting this; it's almost as they send a Aircraft carrier group everytime North Korea ( or anyone ) make some fuss.
Old 2010-11-24, 06:48   Link #10003
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Well, I was expecting the US to do something for the reason you mentioned, and sending an aircraft carrier was the most logical thing to do. I'm surprised they send a carrier that's within one of the biggest classes in the Navy.
Old 2010-11-24, 07:30   Link #10004
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Well, I was expecting the US to do something for the reason you mentioned, and sending an aircraft carrier was the most logical thing to do. I'm surprised they send a carrier that's within one of the biggest classes in the Navy.
Well there's a reason we have so many carrier battlegroups...so that when something comes up we don't feel strapped for sending something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
He was the guy who planned and help win the Battle of Midway, which severely crippled the Japanese naval forces in World War 2, near Southeast Asia and Australia.

To CM him would be to CM a war hero and make the politicians look bad.
That's a practical reason not to court Martial MacArthur. Not a legal one. If Truman was feeling truely vindictive and decided that the Democrats were going to lose the presidential race anyway, he'd have had an entire array of things to use to nail MacArthurs balls to the wall. And it'd all be perfectly legal.

There's a reason why the congressional outrage over his dismissal died down and fantasies about Trumans impeachment went with it. Even the hardcore Republicans realized that pushing the affair further would just bring up MacArthurs insubordination and sedition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Does NK have any natural resources that SK could use? I'm sure the cost will be high initially, but I can't help but feel 50 years down the road from reintegration the 'investment' would pay off. That's just my assumption though, I don't really know too much about the issue.
It has plenty of resources...none of which can be taken advantage of immediately, due to the decayed state of North Korean industry and infrastructure.

Quote:
I feel terrible for those poor people How can these upper officials live with themselves, causing such suffering?
How do you think those Communist parties officials lived with themselves during the Great Leap Forward? Exaggerating their local harvest productivity, so that the Government would take practically all of the Peasants rice and grain, condemning them to starvation?

You read about all these Communist agricultural processes, and you come to a disturbing realization that in many cases Feudalism was a more fair system to the peasants.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2010-11-24 at 07:48.
Old 2010-11-24, 08:53   Link #10005
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Does NK have any natural resources that SK could use? I'm sure the cost will be high initially, but I can't help but feel 50 years down the road from reintegration the 'investment' would pay off. That's just my assumption though, I don't really know too much about the issue.
It has some, at least according to the FAO:
Quote:
From wikipedia:

In 2005, North Korea was ranked by the FAO as an estimated 10th in the production of fresh fruit[109] and as an estimated 19th in the production of apples.[110] It has substantial natural resources and is the world's 18th largest producer of iron and zinc,[111][112] having the 22nd largest coal reserves in the world.[113] It is also the 15th largest fluorite producer[114] and 12th largest producer of copper and salt in Asia.[115][116] Other major natural resources in production include lead, tungsten, graphite, magnesite, gold, pyrites, fluorspar, and hydropower.[6]
So, substantial mineral resources, as well as arable land.

Another important resource to factor is cultural, as several important natural or architectural landmarks of the Korean culture are in the North.
Old 2010-11-24, 09:06   Link #10006
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Another important resource to factor is cultural, as several important natural or architectural landmarks of the Korean culture are in the North.
That makes me curious as to how much tourism there is in North Korea. I wouldn't have thought there was that much there tbh.
Old 2010-11-24, 09:20   Link #10007
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My aunt who works as a Filipino diplomat recently went to NK on a "tour" with some backing from the Chinese government I think. Wasn't much of a "tour" as it was being herded around by angry looking people through some suspiciously happy and joyous populations.
Old 2010-11-24, 09:30   Link #10008
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

The fact she's a diplomat and had Chinese backing tells me that it's a bit difficult to actually enter NK as a tourist in the first place, which leads me to think that there isn't much of a market for tourism there. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from what you said
Old 2010-11-24, 09:45   Link #10009
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. may stop the terror rainbow: Could ditch colour-coded alerts
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1811216/
Old 2010-11-24, 09:53   Link #10010
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
That makes me curious as to how much tourism there is in North Korea. I wouldn't have thought there was that much there tbh.
They really started pushing that after Soviet aid dried up after the break up of the Soviet Union. It's just an example of how strapped for cash they are (for awhile I think they were also trying to generate revenue from Pachinko machines that North Koreans living in Japan operated).
Quote:
The fact she's a diplomat and had Chinese backing tells me that it's a bit difficult to actually enter NK as a tourist in the first place, which leads me to think that there isn't much of a market for tourism there. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from what you said
Indeed. It's hard to organize tourism when you're a militant paranoid state...
even more when you consider that outside of the official tour guide area's, there ISN'T anything a tourist would be remotely interested in.
Old 2010-11-24, 10:17   Link #10011
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
He had nothing to do with midway. Are you thinking of the re-invasion of the Philippines? Though you are right about him being considered a war hero and that it would just make Truman look bad in the eyes of the public.
I was thinking about his work in the Pacific theater, which indirectly leads to major offensives in the SEA region. A couple of biographies I read about him gave him alot more credit than Nimitz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
even more when you consider that outside of the official tour guide area's, there ISN'T anything a tourist would be remotely interested in.
Or China could just simply outsource the building of their ripoff arms to NK to help them earn money. Capitalism ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
My favourite response to the current Korean Peninsula standoff had to be Russia's:

Source

Does anybody remember the South Ossetia War in 2008 and Russia's retaliation on Georgia for it's incursion into the protected territory? The use of force sure as hell didn't seem to be an unacceptable path then did it?

In any case you can bet China and the U.S are on high alert and ready to step in in some capacity should things escalate from here.
Welcome to politics : an act of looking good in front of others while being totally ugly when solving actual pertinent problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
And the resulting blood bath is a disservice when you actually meant to help those people.
According to Stalin, a bloodbath (war) usually solves problems : no man, no problem.

Quote:
Here is something to sate your curiosity.

So....do you still want to tour there?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-24, 10:21   Link #10012
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
More than it cost rehabilitate Eastern Europe, the GDR in particular? I don't know the answer, but I'd bet reconstruction in the DPRK would end up costing less even though they have such a limited base to build on.
1. the infasture wold have to be completely rebuilt or built as there is nothing modern except its nuke plants

2. the entire population would have to be train for as a modern workforce.

3. you have to feed them

Quote:
I feel terrible for those poor people How can these upper officials live with themselves, causing such suffering?
a trick question?
Old 2010-11-24, 10:24   Link #10013
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Or China could just simply outsource the building of their ripoff arms to NK to help them earn money. Capitalism ho!
Lol they already do it with so many other good to so many other countries, I don't see why not But the one thing to consider is that selling their own weapons would put their own military at risk. Even capitalist countries don't want to do that

Quote:
Welcome to politics : an act of looking good in front of others while being totally ugly when solving actual pertinent problems.
Someone has a thing to say about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver Ocelot
The gift of the silver tongue. It's the mark of a good commander. And of a liar.

Quote:
According to Stalin, a bloodbath (war) usually solves problems : no man, no problem.
Gulags, concentration camps and assassins work just as well. Just sayin'

Quote:
Here is something to sate your curiosity.

So....do you still want to tour there?
Ehhh, no not really
Old 2010-11-24, 10:26   Link #10014
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Simple. Ignorance is bliss.

Using the mindsets of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard), NMFP (Not My F***ing Problem) and MMOB (Minding My Own Business), they are able to secure their current lifestyles and income streams without any conscience or guilt.

That is how individualism makes people rich, at the expense of society.

Quote:
Lol they already do it with so many other good to so many other countries, I don't see why not But the one thing to consider is that selling their own weapons would put their own military at risk. Even capitalist countries don't want to do that
Remember, most of their technologies are reversed engineered or ripoffs. See Norinco? They even copied the M16 rifle and changed the pistol grip to a revolver grip!

The technology itself is dispensable since they are just unlicensed copies. If the Khyber Pass residents can rebuild rifles using resources from the region, North Korea shouldn't have a problem making stuff for China at a much lower cost.

Quote:
Someone has a thing to say about that:
Hence the term : political correctness. Though I fail to see how correct it is to be a total hypocrite.

Quote:
Gulags, concentration camps and assassins work just as well. Just sayin'
Come to think of it, Gulags and concentration camps are much better. Unlike prisons where you have to take care of human rights and all sorts of stuff, it eats into taxpayer monies. Concentration camps, on the other hand, force the workers to live and work at the bare minimum : you don't have to even pay them for dangerous jobs such as mining in a firedamp.

If the population within dies, simply arrest more people. From a business standpoint that is maximum efficiency. *sarcastic*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-24, 10:44   Link #10015
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
That is how individualism makes people rich, at the expense of society.
Oh I do wonder what was going through Richard Maynard Keynes when he created this system of self-benefit for the people D=.

Quote:
Remember, most of their technologies are reversed engineered or ripoffs. See Norinco? They even copied the M16 rifle and changed the pistol grip to a revolver grip!

The technology itself is dispensable since they are just unlicensed copies. If the Khyber Pass residents can rebuild rifles using resources from the region, North Korea shouldn't have a problem making stuff for China at a much lower cost.
Of course, that is how most of China is making its money. It makes sense for them to sell quasi-counterfeits to the outside to make more money. I imagine they would make a lot of money from the US considering the gun-culture there. Although I find it hard that gun lovers would be interested in off license goods.

Quote:
Hence the term : political correctness. Though I fail to see how correct it is to be a total hypocrite.
I'll tell you. It's correct as long as there's no one to prove you wrong. That's the motive behind many and all dictators' tactics in purging enemies both internal and external.

Quote:
Come to think of it, Gulags and concentration camps are much better. Unlike prisons where you have to take care of human rights and all sorts of stuff, it eats into taxpayer monies. Concentration camps, on the other hand, force the workers to live and work at the bare minimum : you don't have to even pay them for dangerous jobs such as mining in a firedamp.

If the population within dies, simply arrest more people. From a business standpoint that is maximum efficiency. *sarcastic*
There's always hypnosis......just saying'
Old 2010-11-24, 12:28   Link #10016
GundamFan0083

China and Russia quit US Dollar.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_11599087.htm

Here's an interesting quote from the article:

Quote:
"Wen said Beijing is willing to boost cooperation with Moscow in Northeast Asia, Central Asia and the Asia-Pacific region, as well as in major international organizations and on mechanisms in pursuit of a "fair and reasonable new order" in international politics and the economy."
Old 2010-11-24, 12:36   Link #10017
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:

You sir are an evil genius.
Old 2010-11-24, 14:43   Link #10018
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
China and Russia quit US Dollar.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_11599087.htm

Here's an interesting quote from the article:
Meanwhile I agree with that the dollar is too risky, I don't agree with that quote : it sounds like utter bullshit to me.

Fair and reasonable new order? I think they are just extending their rights to build Gulags and suppress dissent against China's exploitation of not just their own people, but smaller countries as well.

Quote:
Oh I do wonder what was going through Richard Maynard Keynes when he created this system of self-benefit for the people D=.
Keynes' focus is in building a richer world through inflation, but he assumed one thing : that corruption, nepotism and cronyism will be truly eradicated, and even if there is a monarchy, it places precedence on democracy first; after all, he is born in the UK under the Queen.

Unfortunately it wasn't. In the US, democracy has been corrupted by corporatism, while in China, democracy essentially is taken as the right to exploit the people on the lower-income pyramid, rather than giving them a chance to succeed in life.

He must have rolled over in his grave to see that his great economic plan taken to pieces by people called "lawyers", "politicians" and "responsibility shirkers".

Old 2010-11-24, 18:36   Link #10019
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Though it would certainly help their economy if they became more tourist-friendly. This has helped bolster the economies of third world nations for years.
Old 2010-11-24, 18:53   Link #10020
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Though it would certainly help their economy if they became more tourist-friendly. This has helped bolster the economies of third world nations for years.
I don't know about this one; don't they tend to make tourist-trap with the only goal to get the money of them at the expence of local population.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international