AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2013-09-23, 19:21   Link #9541
madmac

Nagi's really not catching any breaks so far.

I had to think about it for a bit, but the lie in Ruka's manga seems pretty clear...
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 20:40   Link #9542
GlassesLady
dat apple

Fight on, Nagi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
I had to think about it for a bit, but the lie in Ruka's manga seems pretty clear...
I'm too lazy to think. Please explain it to me. :P (I think I have an idea, though.)

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 22:45   Link #9543
madmac

Hah. I'm too tired to explain it right now, so maybe later.
Old 2013-09-25, 14:09   Link #9544
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Hah. I'm too tired to explain it right now, so maybe later.
It is now "later". ^_~

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 23:01   Link #9545
madmac

My inherent slothfulness does not grasp your mortal sense of time. Oh all right...

Actually I'd seen some contrasting theories that made me second-think it a little but I still reckon I'm right.

So the part of Ruka's doujin that obviously goes awry is the ending. It's BS. Not only is it unsatisfying, but it's completely unconnected to the plot of the story up to that point. The character goes from trying to prove herself as a writer to "screw it, Got a man, I'm good!" in less then a page.

There's a lot of obvious parallels with Ruka's own situation here. To save myself a lot of typing, she is, in fact, trying to skip straight to her own happy ending and isn't afraid to force the issue. She doesn't just want Hayate, she needs him, as she just told Nagi like two chapters ago. She went from writing a bucket list with "boyfriend" at the top to noticing Hayate was pretty hawt to hitting on him to, well, escalating every time she got turned down.

She worked herself up to a marriage promise within a matter of days, in no small part because she was increasingly frustrated with his obvious lack of interest. It's a one sided relationship and Ruka isn't oblivious enough to not see it, she's just lying to herself.

So that's the big lie, I think, but it's still a bit more nuanced then all that. Like the writer in her story, there's no clear path from point A to point B. The reincarnated writer is mad at these new-fangled light novels and determined to prove herself, but why? How? What does she actually want to do with her new life, and what kind of books is she going to write?

Basically, Ruka needs to deal with her own problems and decide what really makes her happy before she's ready for a relationship. She still does have the debt dragging her down, and that will have to be removed somehow before she's really free to do what she wants.

I've seen some people suggest that the big lie is that Ruka really really loves singing more then manga but ehhhhh I don't see it. Certainly she doesn't hate singing other than that big black ball of bitterness she's currently directing at her parents but there's been no real hints or build up in that direction in the manga, and her doujin doesn't seem to lean that way either. Ruka is explicitly presented at being talented enough in both paths that she could make a career at either if she chose to do so.

In the end, she probably will give up on Hayate, at least in the "gotta make him marry me" sense and go back to being an idol but I don't think it will be as simple as losing a contest or suddenly realizing she likes music more then manga. She'll have to deal with her inner turmoil one way or another and then she'll be able to make clear decisions.

...Or she'll fall into such depression that she'll end up using a stone and fleeing to the RG but we'll just consider that a highly probable detour in getting her life sorted out.

On an different note, I really like the reveal that Kayura is secretly Ruka's biggest fan from way before it was cool. It explains a number of things in both the manga and the anime and makes their future interactions more interesting.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-26 at 07:09.
Old 2013-09-26, 08:14   Link #9546
GlassesLady
dat apple

And that is exactly what I was thinking, Madmac. Only with more words.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if Kayura will be the one to free Ruka from her debt. Would she have the money for that?

Old 2013-09-26, 08:23   Link #9547
madmac

Quote:
At this point I'm starting to wonder if Kayura will be the one to free Ruka from her debt. Would she have the money for that?
I really doubt it. Kayura's family isn't super-rich and they just had that video game funding blow up that Nagi had to navigate off-panel.

Besides, given how much Ruka is like Hayate and how much he refuses to let anyone else pay his debt I don't think she'd accept anyone just handing her a pile of money.
Old 2013-09-26, 08:32   Link #9548
GlassesLady
dat apple

Well, maybe not handing her a pile of money, but transferring the debt so she works for Kayura/the Kayura family rather than the idol people. But you're right, she probably doesn't have the money for that.

Incidentally, Ruka realising she doesn't want Hayate leaves the possibility of her winning the competition without breaking status quo, since she could just concede the prize. And with her latest burst of inspiration and Nagi's cold, that might actually happen. Well, at least it wasn't for lack of trying on Nagi's part.

Old 2013-09-26, 08:43   Link #9549
GDB

Because there's nothing quite like spending 100+ chapters on a huge build-up to a story climax, only to have none of it matter.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 09:10   Link #9550
madmac

Quote:
Because there's nothing quite like spending 100+ chapters on a huge build-up to a story climax, only to have none of it matter.
Yeah, I don't think it's likely. The contest results will stand.

Besides, at this point I'd say Nagi needs a win for her own credibility/capping her character development over the summer more than Ruka needs to win so Hata can do a minor fake-out.

I don't think the arc ends on the competition anyways. Either Nagi will win and Ruka will do something unfortunate or vise versa. He's been teasing the supernatural side of this since the first Convention that introduced Ruka, he's got to work it in somehow.
Old 2013-09-26, 09:34   Link #9551
GlassesLady
dat apple

Well, having something go horribly wrong depending on the winner would be fine, too.

Old 2013-09-27, 12:49   Link #9552
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
I've seen some people suggest that the big lie is that Ruka really really loves singing more then manga but ehhhhh I don't see it.
I agree. Although I think she does love singing and performing more than she may realize, I don't think she's done enough manga to make a real comparison. Besides, right now, her dream is in the manga-ka area.

Quote:
In the end, she probably will give up on Hayate, at least in the "gotta make him marry me" sense and go back to being an idol but I don't think it will be as simple as losing a contest or suddenly realizing she likes music more then manga. She'll have to deal with her inner turmoil one way or another and then she'll be able to make clear decisions.
I think she'll win the contest, but in the process, she will have dealt with her inner turmoil and realize that forcing Hayate to marry her and leave Nagi's service is not the path to happiness since she'd be shackling Hayate in a similar way that her parents shackled her.

Quote:
On an different note, I really like the reveal that Kayura is secretly Ruka's biggest fan from way before it was cool. It explains a number of things in both the manga and the anime and makes their future interactions more interesting.
This is the aspect that I need to go back and reread manga chapters from when Kayura arrived.

Quote:
Besides, at this point I'd say Nagi needs a win for her own credibility/capping her character development over the summer more than Ruka needs to win so Hata can do a minor fake-out.
That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered.

I had been thinking that a Nagi win would be the obvious route since CTMYOY showed that Hayate was still with Nagi, but the two were still friends with Ruka, who'd remained an idol. But, developing Nagi's character, which has been making progress of late, would be a good reason to have Nagi actually win.

Quote:
He's been teasing the supernatural side of this since the first Convention that introduced Ruka, he's got to work it in somehow.
And that element has all but been forgotten. ^_^;

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2013-09-27, 14:24   Link #9553
GlassesLady
dat apple

I can see Ruka coming back to idoling someday, but I think right now what she needs is to step away from it and what her parents left her with and just get herself sorted out.

I also find myself wondering how Hayate would react if he actually ended up forced to marry Ruka... he's shown that he'd prefer it if Nagi won, but other than that we haven't really gotten his thoughts on the matter. Though I can't see how that would actually happen at that point if we're right about how Ruka's lying to herself.

Old 2013-09-27, 15:00   Link #9554
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
I can see Ruka coming back to idoling someday, but I think right now what she needs is to step away from it and what her parents left her with and just get herself sorted out.
Well, she already has returned to being an idol. She did her one concert, and she's got the big Las Vegas concert coming.

Quote:
I also find myself wondering how Hayate would react if he actually ended up forced to marry Ruka...
Well, I'm sure he'd man up. And it isn't as if Ruka would be unpleasant to be married to, at least from some vantage points.

Old 2013-09-27, 18:24   Link #9555
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Well, she already has returned to being an idol. She did her one concert, and she's got the big Las Vegas concert coming.
Only because she still has to cover her huge debt. She's made it clear she wants out, but that she can't because of the debt. Unless that scene where she breaks down in front of Hayate was supposed to be the lie, but I don't really see it going that way.

Old 2013-09-28, 23:10   Link #9556
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
Only because she still has to cover her huge debt. She's made it clear she wants out, but that she can't because of the debt. Unless that scene where she breaks down in front of Hayate was supposed to be the lie, but I don't really see it going that way.
Don't know if you've seen CTMEOY or not, but the almost all of folks in Japan who are reading the manga have. So, to err on the side of caution...

Spoiler for for those who've not seen CTMEOY anime:

Old 2013-09-29, 09:57   Link #9557
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Don't know if you've seen CTMEOY or not, but the almost all of folks in Japan who are reading the manga have. So, to err on the side of caution...

Spoiler for for those who've not seen CTMEOY anime:
I have indeed watched CTMEOY. Ruka's role there mostly consisted of whatever the hell she was doing as a pseudo-narrator. I'm not sure that can really be taken at face value. Though I can see your point.

Old 2013-09-29, 10:39   Link #9558
madmac

New chapter is up. Nagi is...man. There was less tension in the chapter where she ended up collapsed in an empty parking lot. Ruka's not the only one in turmoil right now, certainly.

Spoiler:

I feel dumb for not realizing earlier how much Radical Dreamers is the root of Nagi's trust in Hayate. I blame reading those chapters wildly out of order the first time. (That's the ticket...) It was shortly afterwards that she was able to start shedding her tsundere side and break the stone, and it's still the thing she comes back to mentally to reassure herself. Although there are apparently, limits.

Really looking forward to the next chapter, and not just for color pages.

Oh, and even though I gripe about Maria's lack of attention in recent years, the more explicit framing her as basically being Nagi's mom is the sweetest thing and I never get tired of it.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-29 at 11:02.
Old 2013-09-29, 11:09   Link #9559
GlassesLady
dat apple

Oh god. This I did not see coming. Wow. Uh.

(What's with the apple?)

Old 2013-09-29, 11:19   Link #9560
madmac

Quote:
(What's with the apple?)
I spend the entirety of CTMEOY asking myself that. The best I can do is steal the translated lyrics from the OP and hope it makese sense.

(You know, I just realized, Hata wrote the lyrics to this song. I'd completely forgotten him mentioning it before Season 3 came out.)

Spoiler:

(Yeah, still no clue on the apple thing.)

Tags
comedy, shounen