AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Rate the series (final rating)
Perfect 10 54 17.14%
9 out of 10 64 20.32%
8 out of 10 101 32.06%
7 out of 10 54 17.14%
6 out of 10 17 5.40%
5 out of 10 11 3.49%
4 out of 10 8 2.54%
3 out of 10 3 0.95%
2 out of 10 1 0.32%
1 out of 10 2 0.63%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-03-02, 19:35   Link #81
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I give it a 7.

The first 17 epsodes were a huge waste of time. Seriously, every time I was done with an episode I thought: "Why the hell do I keep downloading and watching this crap?" The characters (especially Rin) had so many cheesy lines I almost couldn't take it, somehow there was no animosity between the girls and there was also lots of really forced fan service that just didn't look right.

Ep. 18 was much better, but still nothing special. Episodes 19-24 are what bring the overall score all the way from negatives to 7. The psycho time bomb, Kaede, finally blows up and we get some drama. Minus points for the weird knife trick but otherwise the show is doing great at this point.

After the whole Kaede thing the show becomes a little bit weaker again in my opinion, but it was quite enjoyable all the way to the end.

PS. What the hell was that Sia + Kaede thing in the ending credits? Now that's something they should have properly included in the series.

PS2. I hate the way Nerine says "Rin-sama!"
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 19:42   Link #82
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

wow. i never though i would hear praise from...well anyone for the last eps, nevertheless calling the first eps a waste of time. i felt the exact opposite. the first eps had plot, comedy, and good animation. once the kaede arc started though...everything went downhill. and if that was how the show started, i would have never watched it.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 19:49   Link #83
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom
wow. i never though i would hear praise from...well anyone for the last eps, nevertheless calling the first eps a waste of time. i felt the exact opposite. the first eps had plot, comedy, and good animation. once the kaede arc started though...everything went downhill. and if that was how the show started, i would have never watched it.
Err, what plot? There was absolutely no plot or character developement at all for the first half of the show.

It was basically Rin trying to be the ultimate goody-two-shoes who just wants to be friends with the girls who are all madly drooling at him. Then in ep. 14-15(?) when the so called "drama" came I didn't know if I should cry or laugh. It was just so bad. -_-;
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 20:33   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nothing like a fresh strong opinion ..... of course, I happen to love Nerine's voice so its a good thing tastes differ.

Another difference... there clearly was plot and character establishment in the first half of the series.... it was just pretty generic, consisting of character focused episodes. I agree it was a loss that the writer of the Kaede arc didn't have control of the whole show -- the quality would have been the better for it.
Old 2006-03-02, 21:30   Link #85
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I've been wanting to get this off my chest, better late than never I suppose...I gave Shuffle a 4...on further reveiw maybe a 5 because i don't usually watch a full series that's a 4....However i did give up on Shuffle at about ep 13...it was just bad to me, the main character and the plot was so boring and the biggest thing of all is that the show isn't funny (Only Itsuki and Mayumi eps ever made me laff)...Then a few people like evil-samurai and some others kept telling me about the "Kaede arc" and how impactful that whole thing is (Not that it was good, but it was worth watching to understand the series)...So I watched the next 11 eps over a 3 day period just to get to that part and after it was all said and done i wished i hadn't...But the one thing I have to admit about Shuffle it's one of those series that really illicits a strong reaction from you...I'm about to be pretty analytical so stick with me...

Do you understand how much of my basic human knowledge I had to suppress to get thru this thing?? First is Asa's sickness....Rin and Kaede call her Asa-sempai which denotes they have known her a while and have established a relationship...So in the whole time they've known each other she has never passed out or fallen down or has shown any sick conditions to them...Once her illness is revealed she's dying every other episode?? Just didn't make sense...I was hoping she died for the tragic ending that would have satisfied me a bit, but after her beyond crazy reason for not wanting to use her magic I just tried to get thru the rest of the series without trying to think to much...

As for Kaede I understand why people sympathize with her...Eventhough she did some evil $hit when she was younger it still seemed to me Rin treated her bad...One of the best and only moments in the series I really enjoyed and connected with was the scene where Rin goes on an on about how Asa is suffering and Kaede (almost like a person who has lost there resolve to live) says something along the lines of "I understand I haven't suffered enough..." I was like damn she must feel like nothing inside...then she cracks and has some really good dark scenes with her in the shower then her most desperate attempt at Rin's love...And like many others the way they made her and Asa become friends again was a joke at best...Destroyed all the tension and Kaede's character development aswell...

Now with all that said i have to play Devil's advocate a bit aswell...Personally I can't blame Rin all that much for not wanting to be with her (not the oblivious way he treated her though)...I mean if a girl I lived with as a child had tried to kill me multiple times I don't know if i could ever completley get over that (despite the circumstances)...I also don't think it should be a given that the guy should always get with the girl who does everything for them, it creates an atmosphere of dependantcy...And furthermore a relationship like that would inevitable become stale...You have to have passion for the girl you want to be with IMO...I hated Rin for alot of reasons, but not for not wanting to be with Kaede (Just the asinine way he dealt with the situation)...

Now everybody talks about Kaede getting jobbed, but what about Sia? Sia got the worst treatment...She was basically about to marry Rin...he was falling for her...She overhears Nerine's "out of the arse" story, tells him she'll work harder for his love...Next thing ya know she falls off the face of the earth (With no rhyme or reason)...They throw together a lame 1-parter explaining she's a skitzo and then she gracefully bows out and to boot tries to hook him up with Asa...Insanity?? Anyone??

And don't get me started on Asa...i don't dislike her at all, but c'mon she knew what she was doing...She made Sia and Nerine look like fools in front of Rin and she did it with the full knowledge of why they were trying to keep Primula's secret...Furthermore anyway you look at it she knew Kaede was in love with Rin yet she still pursued him (A good friend doing this vs. new girls changes everything)...She looked at Rin thru the window as he waited day after day for Kaede and she wanted that...Do i blame her for that? No that's how girls are, they don't care about friendships when they like the same guy (historical fact)...But lets not pretend there is no deciet involved....Your teaching your good friend how to cook and clean for the guy you like while knowing their feelings?? That's the definition of deciet...

As for Asa giving her permission to still love Rin, how pathetic is that, sheeesh...I guess this was the innovative harem script we we're hearing about :rollseyes:... Your giving the girl false-hope (I mean she's crazy for being the first girl on earth to immediatley become friends again with the girl who "stole" her man cause that never happens)...But it just crapped on her character evenmore...I just felt sorry for her fanbase...

And finally Rin cutting his wrist was the first thing he did ALL SERIES inwhich he used his own freewill...IMO he stands at the bottom-feeder of harem lead characters...He was really awful if you think about his whole development...He makes Taka from KGNE look like a smooth-a$$ pimp...I even enjoy Manaka from Ichigo 100% infinitley more than Rin...

Overall Shuffle had some great fanservice and what was so good about the fanservice (beside it being fanservice :P)...It took place in some of the most morbid and dark scenes in the series which really makes it somewhat unique in the harem genre, but other than that Shuffle fell flat in alot of areas IMO...One of the rare animes I've watched that i wished I hadn't completed...So why am i here discussing it you ask? Well Shuffle is one of those shows that really get under your skin if you don't like it...It really is a polorising anime...Other than Gundam Seed Destiny, no other anime I've watched in the last year has made me literally angry upon it finishing but Shuffle...I mean I was just upset for hours...It really can extract raw emotions from you (good and bad) and I guess I'll have to give it credit for that, but before ever watching it again i think I'd rather Shuffle a deck...
Old 2006-03-02, 22:01   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Probably one of the more precise analyses of what went wrong with Shuffle!

If they'd left it as light hearted fluff romantic comedy they'd have been on much safer ground. But you're right... you kind of have to ignore a lot of very basic human behavior to put up with what happened.

My metaphor is that you know the puppeteers are doing good work if you forget about the strings...... in this show the strings were being pulled so hard you're surprised their little heads don't come off.

Yet another "Great Characters" "Great Premise" "Execution by Retards" ..... ah well, I have some pretty figurines.
In the mean time I'm seeing much more sensible writing over on many of the shows listed in my .sig lines.

ps: like your katakana for Texas..... I grew up in Houston, got a BSEE from Rice, worked down at NASA for many years .... my sympathies
Old 2006-04-06, 17:28   Link #87
Nikku

Send a message via AIM to Nikku
Shuffle! Good or Bad? *SPOILERS*

I started this thread to see what everyone's opinion of shuffle! was?

I havent decided yet if i like or hate this anime, i was very suprised when Rin choose Asa out of all people, i mean what was the point of Sia and Nerine? Rin didnt choose ether at the end. Out of all people i would have put my money on Kaede. Besides that i thought they did a good job on character development, an "ok" job on relating it to life, and a good job on animation. although i didnt care for the "emo" ending. lol, i think this anime balances out on a good and bad scale. so i would give it a 5.5 out of 10.
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 17:40   Link #88
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

You mean something like this thread?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=27639
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 18:16   Link #89
Moon Eclipse

While I either agree of can understand the majority of the merit behind the accessment of Shuffle!

My own personal feelings aside, I believe that Shuffle! is a great anime if for no other reason than to affect people so much that they would talk about it long after it was done. You're completely correct about the raw emotions part. I think anyone that's ever looked over the threads will agree that the pure fanatisism and devotion that Shuffle has inspires is painful aparent. The fact that they left everyone so unfulfilled in the end might even work to their advantage in the end as it will infuriate and scar us all for the rest of out harem anime watching lives
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 18:55   Link #90
Rin-Sama
Banned

perfect 10!
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 00:54   Link #91
Nikku

Send a message via AIM to Nikku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
perfect 10!
how can you like the fact that he choose asa? i didnt know that was possible. i would have been happy if he would have choosen anyone else, but asa. that was to.... random.
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 01:06   Link #92
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikku
how can you like the fact that he choose asa? i didnt know that was possible. i would have been happy if he would have choosen anyone else, but asa. that was to.... random.
The Asa ending idespite the proganda form KKK was not drawing out of a hat.

If you re-watch form Ep7 onward that Asa and her illness had been carefully sprinkle inot the show in almost every ep. And that more then anyone else Asa is the one that makes Rin go forward with his life.
Old 2006-04-07, 01:32   Link #93
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^

If you re-watch form Ep7 onward that Asa and her illness had been carefully sprinkle inot the show in almost every ep. And that more then anyone else Asa is the one that makes Rin go forward with his life.
And that's standard AAA propaganda.
Old 2006-04-07, 01:34   Link #94
Rin-Sama
Banned

Truthfully i liked Asa from the very begining. However even i thought that Rin was going to end up with Kaede. Having him end up with Asa really brightened things up for me!
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 04:27   Link #95
DrewGSR

Meh such an average anime I dunno how its getting so much 10s... Compared to others in its genre its inferiors. I give it a 6. Pretty cliche and way too "cheese" towards the end. But if Asa had died. Even better if they would have let Rin kill himself at the end. Then i would give it an 8 or possibly a 9.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 04:56   Link #96
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
No it wasn't, it was the dartboard that decides the fate of most animes.
Old 2006-04-07, 04:59   Link #97
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88
No it wasn't, it was the dartboard that decides the fate of most animes.
Yes, let's all not forget the Chief-Writer and the Dart-Throwing Writer
Old 2006-04-07, 05:21   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd say the writers had Asa in mind almost from ep 1 ... but it doesn't mean they didn't just clusterf**k the last five episodes with writing done by randomly pulling dialog out of a hat and rationale even a three year old would respond to with "wtf?".

Here's hoping "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi" gives us much more quality diversion time
Old 2006-04-07, 05:29   Link #99
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'd say the writers had Asa in mind almost from ep 1 ... but it doesn't mean they didn't just clusterf**k the last five episodes with writing done by randomly pulling dialog out of a hat and rationale even a three year old would respond to with "wtf?".

Here's hoping "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi" gives us much more quality diversion time
Isn't Suzumiya more like a comedy?

At least, they could've just messed up only 20 secs in the final ending credits At least, I'd be happy with the rest of the series Now the whole series looks like crap (to me) because of those 5 episodes.

Last edited by npal; 2006-04-07 at 08:25.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 08:24   Link #100
Zelos_Zalis
Only 70% Neutral

a 6. while I only give this a 6 it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it but aside what has already been said this anime shows what happens when a bishojo game gets animated. what do I mean? well its the simple fact of when playing the game a player typicaly within the first 10 minutes picks who they like and want to pair up the main character with, this ofcourse inturn means you pick the ending you want to see, self-gratification. this is true with all bishojo games.

The problem with this is that when it goes anime this option is completely unavavalible and the decisions are left up to someone else that may not share your opinions so for alot of people you are left with a bad taste in your mouth. That is why these animes will always be flawed.

Now for other things, I tend to like the light-hearted so I liked the beginning of the series. I agree with wingdarkness that some of the humor was cheesy and childish, but that doesn't neccessarly make it bad, when its overdone it becomes bad (I felt ashamed to watch the whole "victory panties" thing).

For the characters, I'll give writers credit for atleast trying to get some backstory on each character, know we've all seen the animes who have no backgrounds. I can't give them too much credit though since they had the game to work from and they did use it, since the only difference that the game has is everything is so smashed togather, for reasons stated earlier. If I had to really chose, I'd say the time with the non-main of main characters (i.e. no rin, kaede, asa, nerine or sia) was the best time in the anime. The Kings were funny and tolerable, the teacher came off as a decent character except when she felt she needed to torment rin (more corniness, reminds me of yumeria, ugh). Ama and primula I actually felt sad for, I don't usually get emotional for an anime character like that. Itsuki and Mayumi were just funny and I was kinda suprised nothing happened between them since anime kinda leaned on it.

That is pretty much it. The final word: A 6, slightly above average but not much.
Zelos_Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote