AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-28, 11:40   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

A Spanish Star Spangle Banner

I just read on CNN that someone fruitcake came up with a Spanish version of the Star Spangle Banner. To anyone who doesn't know, that is the national anthem for the USA.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/28/anthem.inspanish.ap/index.html

The guy said this is thanks for all the immigrants and their handwork. Well I would ask where the Chinese ver. or a Korea is ver. a Japanese ver. or maybe a French and Germany Ver too.

Why only a Spanish version?

I would like to know what everyone thought on this subject as well as what happen if someone turn your country's national anthem into a different language?

PS. before anyone asks I am Chinese American, born in China and immgrate to the US legally in the 80s. Most of my family also immigrated during the same time and we all learn to speak English.

I expect a lot of negative rep points for this so go ahead and negative to your hearts content.
Old 2006-04-28, 12:05   Link #2
Roopoo
Roo

Send a message via MSN to Roopoo
Well my question would be why would they need to do this in the first place? Who are the Americans? Surely America itself is made up of so many groups in the first place that doing this is rather unnecessary. And, as you so rightly say, why choose only one group? Many nationalities have made America what it is today. It would be akin to making a Greek version of the Australian anthem. What about all the other groups??????
Roopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 12:22   Link #3
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roopoo
Well my question would be why would they need to do this in the first place? Who are the Americans?
Its is not mater of ethnics groups, is a matter of who made it-in this case someone that felt like the Latin’s deserve to have the USA anthem in their 1st language-, besides that Latin’s are the most common group that immigrates to USA, so Spanish is fastly becoming a common speak language in that country, so is no surprise it was made in Spanish, and not in any other language.

America is a land said to be of equal opportunities for everyone, so making a Spanish version is just a demonstration of this type of vision. But I will say I don’t agree of changing the language of the Anthem of any country for a specific group, if someone is going to live in the USA and become a citizen, I guess that person should at least learn how to speak the language. Is like this forum, I can't just begin to brag about only using English as language, and begin to use Spanish instead.
Old 2006-04-28, 13:09   Link #4
Homeschooler_Jenni
Rar.

That is umm...well....interesting O_o
Homeschooler_Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 13:44   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roopoo
Well my question would be why would they need to do this in the first place? Who are the Americans? Surely America itself is made up of so many groups in the first place that doing this is rather unnecessary. And, as you so rightly say, why choose only one group? Many nationalities have made America what it is today. It would be akin to making a Greek version of the Australian anthem. What about all the other groups??????
It's nothing but a political statement by people who think the immigration debate in the US is racially motivated. It's an attempt to show hispanics are a vital part of the nation. While I cannot deny that many people who want border security wouldn't be yelling quite as loudly if the people coming in were white, I believe they'd still be yelling.

Of course any debate about immigration reform is meaningless, as the new system would have the same problems as the current one. Poor funding leads to insufficent staff to process legal immigrants, which in turn leads to people coming into the country illegally.
Old 2006-04-28, 14:36   Link #6
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

I'm not replying much to this, as it's a very sensitive subject for many people.

IMO, if you're here legally, you're an American; people have fought and died so that they, their children, their children's children, etc, could grow up here.

I do not feel you should be able to jump a fence and say "I'm an American."
Therefore, the AMERICAN anthem, was fine the way it is.
It'd be nice if America would declare a national language like everywhere else has.
Bleh

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 17:08   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

While I don't agree with illegal immigration, if an illegal alien comes to the USA with a good attitude and works hard, contributing to society, I would gladly call them an American. As for why it is in Spanish... Well, you kind of demonstrated it yourself. You are Chinese, so naturally the first 'version' that you thought of was Chinese, whereas Spanish-speakers thought of a Spanish version. I don't understand exactly why you take offense to this. If you want a Chinese version, make it yourself, and be proud that you legally came to America and became a contributing citizen.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 17:19   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy
While I don't agree with illegal immigration, if an illegal alien comes to the USA with a good attitude and works hard, contributing to society, I would gladly call them an American. As for why it is in Spanish... Well, you kind of demonstrated it yourself. You are Chinese, so naturally the first 'version' that you thought of was Chinese, whereas Spanish-speakers thought of a Spanish version. I don't understand exactly why you take offense to this. If you want a Chinese version, make it yourself, and be proud that you legally came to America and became a contributing citizen.
I was being sarcastic.

I don't want Chinese version of the Star Spangle Banner. And it wasn't a a hispanic that thought of a spanish it was a british guy.
Old 2006-04-28, 17:52   Link #9
hooliganj
Team Player

Kamui summed up my position pretty well, but I have a tangent subject to address. English is not the official language of this country for a multitude of reasons, and there's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be a version of the song in Spanish, or Chinese or whatever. Most people just hum along anyway, so it's not like anything is really different.

It is meaningless to take umbrage at a statement like this, especially when it's related to a celebration of diversity in a country that supposedly honors freedom above all else. There is a point somewhere where people started treating the symbols of America as being more sacred than the idea of America, and that leads to counterproductive behavior.

... I'm not sure my point came through all that clearly, I'll have to come back and revise later.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 19:19   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
I'll probably get a lot of people's hatred over what I'll say, but here it goes:

I'm an immigrant as well, coming from Brazil in 2003 due to the instable political and economical bullshit that has been going on in there since the 80s. My grandfather was an american, my mother is american, so our entrance here wasn't as difficult as other people's, legal or not. Right now I'm an american citizen and things are looking up.

But even though I am legally here and am, by Juris Sanguinis a rightful citizen, I just don't feel that we have a RIGHT to be here; no immigrant in anyone's country does. We have the PRIVILEDGE to be here, and be part of the US nation. Therefore, I'd pretty much say that, if you're an immigrant in the United States, your first step is to embrace or, at the least, accept the culture.

I believe that the immigration laws are important, first because we all know that the US needs the labor. However, I'm also pro to border security, and that, if they facilitate the immigration of aliens in the US, they also make it harder for illegals to get here anyway. Having 10+ million illegals in the country is a big problem. But it becomes even bigger when some of these people, who are here getting education, medical assistance and basic care for free (as most don't pay taxes), and also when kids leave school to protest for immigration laws when they aren't aware that their schools would lose off about 30 bucks for each student who missed school.

Quote:
While I don't agree with illegal immigration, if an illegal alien comes to the USA with a good attitude and works hard, contributing to society, I would gladly call them an American.
You've said it. It's everything about attitude. It annoys the heck out of me seeing how some people try to implement their own social values in the American culture, sometimes wanting to do things like they did back in their countries, things that here are completely unnaceptable. And believe me, I live in Florida, and I get firsthand broadcast on what it feels like to be in a mixed culture.

And I must say that I don't agree with that much freedom of speech and freedom of expression either. As I believe that people should express themselves the way they want to, there're things that you shouldn't be supposed to do. Take the example of the Spanish Star-spangled banner that you posted up. Myself, I find it a slap in the face to have some guy adapting it as a protest for immigrants, and I wasn't even born here. If I get to their countries and start changing their theme songs into english and adding a bunch of criticisms to their society, hell, they'll burn American flags, raid american stores and even boycott Coca Cola.

If you hate America, start by not coming here in the first place, damn it.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 19:33   Link #11
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
This is stupid.

You don't see the French national anthem in Greek

Or the Japanese National Anthem in dutch, do you?

So why the fuck should the american national anthem be made in spanish?

America is a diverse country, who all come here with an understanding that the primary language in America is english.

All this does is spit in the face of ALL american immigrants, not just hispanic ones, who go through the trials and pain of getting legal citizenship.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 21:01   Link #12
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I don't really.. I mean doesn't America print things in Enlgish AND Spanish? Same deal.

In Canada we sing the anthem in French AND English, because we know there are people who speak both languages and we should cater to all members of the majority of society.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 21:22   Link #13
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
I don't really.. I mean doesn't America print things in Enlgish AND Spanish? Same deal.

In Canada we sing the anthem in French AND English, because we know there are people who speak both languages and we should cater to all members of the majority of society.

Because your nation has a duality of languages.

America doesnt.

America has 1 standard language.

And I just saw on my local news, that the local Hispanic radio stations refuse to play this song, because even THEY and their listeners feel that the song should be sung in english, and that it is disrespectful to translate it.

in fact, the only person that my local news interviewed, that said the song should be translated, is an ignorant asshole who couldn't even speak english

This song was written by a BRITISH guy

So this isn't like the Latino community is crying out in demand for it to be translated. This was just some asshole trying to spur controversies.

as for things being printed in english and spanish.

I think that is stupid as well, except for items that ship internationally [ Like Ikea things, but Ikea has developed simple images that show how to assemble their stuff, instead of languages ] with no change in packaging, then you end up having English, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese and french.

Thats not because its cattering to specific people who refuse to learn the language of the country they are in, its just because they are reducing prices for everyone by not repackaging the same product for every region they ship to.
Old 2006-04-28, 22:30   Link #14
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba

Canada has two National languages as mentioned before.

No not everything is printed in Spanish and English, in fact around here I see things either printed in English or printed in like 4-6 languages (usually, Vietnamese, Chinese, and French as well). I rarely see anything in Spanish really. The only thing that comes to mind is at Bush Gardens the rides' directions are in both English and Spanish.

Why does the song really matter though? Couldn't everyone just write it off?
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 22:41   Link #15
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226
Why does the song really matter though? Couldn't everyone just write it off?
A national anethem is a major symbol of a country. Disrespecting it is the same as burning a country's flag.

The main problem people are having with this is that it seems like some kind of ploy to turn this the USA into the United States of Mexico. Alot of these ILLEGAL aliens seem to be acting as though they deserve not only to live in The US, but to be catered to while they live there. I remember seeing an interview on the news where a hispanic guy was citing the Mexican American War as the sopposed reason he should be able to live in the United States, and claiming that he was taking back his rightful land. Many people gave their lives to make the USA what it is today, and the arrogant attitudes of these illegals is what's getting people angry.

Last edited by Ziv; 2006-04-28 at 22:55.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 22:47   Link #16
sanghyun1990
상현

That would be funny in Korean, I tried to translate it does not match. So it probably won't work with other asian languages.
sanghyun1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 00:10   Link #17
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
This is stupid.

So why the fuck should the american national anthem be made in spanish?

America is a diverse country, who all come here with an understanding that the primary language in America is english.

All this does is spit in the face of ALL american immigrants, not just hispanic ones, who go through the trials and pain of getting legal citizenship.
Exactly.

I just watched The O'Reilly factor and his "most ridiculous" item of the day talked about the anthem in Spanish.

And one thing my mother brought up is that, most of these people come from countries where things are doing pretty bad. Economy, politics, whatever it is. And they get here and want to do things the way they did back in their countries and want the American way to change and fit them.

I understand that a lof of people have respect for their countries, even though they come here for better jobs and lifestyles, and they want to keep their roots. But keep them to themselves; don't go around trying to make the US an Spanish-speaking country, 'cause that's just not gonna work. If you're here and wanna be a citizen or have any legal rights, learn english, and to things the american way.

Quote:
I don't really.. I mean doesn't America print things in Enlgish AND Spanish?
Fact is that America doesn't consider Spanish to be an official language, like many countries have (French in Canada and a few parts of Spain and Italy, for example). Things printed in Spanish, or any other language are just for the benefit of the reader and a better understanding between the parties involved. I've been translating things to Portuguese for my brother's elementary school for a couple of months now, but that doesn't mean Portuguese is an official language in the US.

Quote:
I remember seeing an interview on the news where a hispanic guy was citing the Mexican American War as the sopposed reason he should be able to live in the United States, and claiming that he was taking back his rightful land. Many people gave their lives to make the USA what it is today, and the arrogant attitudes of these illegals is what's getting people angry.
A lof of people do have shi- on their heads, don't be surprised with it.

Quote:
I rarely see anything in Spanish really. The only thing that comes to mind is at Bush Gardens the rides' directions are in both English and Spanish.
It might be that down here in Florida, the majority of immigrants is Hispanic, while in other places like the West coast, there're are also many Asian immigrants as well.

Quote:
I would like to know what everyone thought on this subject as well as what happen if someone turn your country's national anthem into a different language?
Sincerely? MY Country of birth's, I wouldn't give a damn. They can blow themselves up for all I'm concerned.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 01:03   Link #18
hooliganj
Team Player

While I respect and commend anybody who takes on the challenge of learning English as a second language, please don't pretend that it had any motive nobler than you wanting to be able to get around better in American society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara
Fact is that America doesn't consider Spanish to be an official language, like many countries have (French in Canada and a few parts of Spain and Italy, for example). Things printed in Spanish, or any other language are just for the benefit of the reader and a better understanding between the parties involved. I've been translating things to Portuguese for my brother's elementary school for a couple of months now, but that doesn't mean Portuguese is an official language in the US.
It's true that Spanish is not the official language of the US, but neither is English. This country is a melting pot, and the official policy of the government is for its services to be available to all of its citizens, regardless of what language they speak. This is why state offices will often have every form available in the 2 or 3 most common local languages, including English, and federal papers, like the 1040 income tax form, are available in just about every language on earth, because to have it otherwise would be blatant discrimination against large segments of our own population.

Which leads to the major fallacy at the root of this argument - not all immigrants are illegal, in fact, the majority aren't, and many legal immigrants speak primarily Spanish. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to celebrate their new homeland in the language they grew up speaking. Rather, it is offensive to my mind that someone would marginalize such a large group of people by passing off the assumption that their words are somehow insufficient or inferior.

The reason that I, as an American, can take pride in the flag, the anthem, the statue of liberty, the bald eagle, and all the other symbols of America is because of the freedoms and ideas that they represent. If a piece of cloth or a song has become more sacred than the freedom of speech or freedom to protest, then the experiment of democracy has lost its way, and if that cloth or that song have become holier than the people that salute or sing, then we as a society have commited ourselves to the greatest sins of the pride before the fall.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 01:37   Link #19
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
It's the words of the anthem that matter, not the language it's sung in. Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
This is stupid.

yes, lets compare ourselves to japan and france, both of which have an extremely estranged and alienated immigrant population...
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 10:20   Link #20
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
It's the words of the anthem that matter, not the language it's sung in. Really

yes, lets compare ourselves to japan and france, both of which have an extremely estranged and alienated immigrant population...

Way to totally ignore the point for an unjustified jab at me. Brilliant work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
While I respect and commend anybody who takes on the challenge of learning English as a second language, please don't pretend that it had any motive nobler than you wanting to be able to get around better in American society.

It's true that Spanish is not the official language of the US, but neither is English. This country is a melting pot, and the official policy of the government is for its services to be available to all of its citizens, regardless of what language they speak. This is why state offices will often have every form available in the 2 or 3 most common local languages, including English, and federal papers, like the 1040 income tax form, are available in just about every language on earth, because to have it otherwise would be blatant discrimination against large segments of our own population.

Which leads to the major fallacy at the root of this argument - not all immigrants are illegal, in fact, the majority aren't, and many legal immigrants speak primarily Spanish. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to celebrate their new homeland in the language they grew up speaking. Rather, it is offensive to my mind that someone would marginalize such a large group of people by passing off the assumption that their words are somehow insufficient or inferior.

The reason that I, as an American, can take pride in the flag, the anthem, the statue of liberty, the bald eagle, and all the other symbols of America is because of the freedoms and ideas that they represent. If a piece of cloth or a song has become more sacred than the freedom of speech or freedom to protest, then the experiment of democracy has lost its way, and if that cloth or that song have become holier than the people that salute or sing, then we as a society have commited ourselves to the greatest sins of the pride before the fall.

The only reason America hasn't officially set its language to english is because of foreign assholes who cry foul and protest over the most moronic things.

Like everyone crying foul over the latest immigration policy on the table, The original root for the protests was that they, illegal and stupid legal [ I say stupid legal, because I know quite a few intelligent legal immigrants who agree with the immigration policy and realize its not them getting booted ], thought america was trying to kick ALL hispanics out of the country

Its silly, People crying foul about their rights in America...when if you are illegal, you don't have any rights afforded to citizens, and protesting that fact and waving around Mexican flags does not a good impression make for your cause

You may live in America, and not have english as your primary language, but out of respect for the nation that took you in and gave you citizenship, you should atleast be able to speak english as a second language.

And not expect the national anthem to be translated into 100 different languages for you, because not only is it disrespectful to the nation, the true meaning of the words dont come across in translations [ Before you even say it, no, its hard if not impossible to portray the true meaning of anything like this when translated from one language to another....You'd think people who watch fan-subs would atleast know this much. ]