AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-26, 19:32   Link #1
curlyconnor

We're fansubbing Puss in Boots

Hello, I'm Curlyconnor, a member of a new fansubbing "group" (2 people) who are fansubbing the classic Toei anime movie "Nagagutsu wo Haita Neko" or "Puss in Boots". This highly entertaining movie was done in the '70s, back when Toei was still quite new to animation (in case you don't know, today Toei produces some of the most popular series in history), and was a huge success. It staffed a young Hayao Miyazaki as a key animator, and he contributed lots to the film, especially the last 30 minutes, which is supposedly a prototype of his later work. This is an amazing movie, and we're happy to have the opportunity to fansub it, especially since we will be the first to do so since Kodacha anime created a hardsub VHS of it, which is now impossible to find. We also will be happy to share our finished product on BitTorrent, and hope you all will enjoy it when it is complete (which will probably be sometime this summer). For more information about the movie itself, go here and go to the bottom. Also, you can search google. We just wanted to tell y'all about this in advance, we'll have our own website up soon, thank you!
curlyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:06   Link #2
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze

Puss in Boots? You fansub that, and you are my heroes!

(Has a realllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy lost VHS with that movie on his house).
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:12   Link #3
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
As I say to all new groups: Get a good timer/editor(and in this case- encoder, since the source sounds old) or I'll burn you.

Ask for help if you need it!

Sounds interesting, if you take too long, I'll burn you. - nah, only kidding, but don't take too long anyway or I'll burn you.

Heh, well good luck anyway
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 21:35   Link #4
a7m4

Thank you so much!!!! I was just telling someone yesterday how much I wanted to see this film. I looked for the Kodacha VHS fansub, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Here is a site with some more good information on Puss 'n Boots.

If you're looking for another project I recommend Hols, Price of the Sun. It's another Toei film made in the year before Puss, directed by Isao Takahata. Kodacha fansubbed it as well, and I was lucky enough to get a copy of it. It is truly an excellent film with a lot of input by Miyazaki as well (the position of scene design was created just for him).
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 21:53   Link #5
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
COOL that is like their mascot
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 23:03   Link #6
curlyconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
Thank you so much!!!! I was just telling someone yesterday how much I wanted to see this film. I looked for the Kodacha VHS fansub, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Here is a site with some more good information on Puss 'n Boots.

If you're looking for another project I recommend Hols, Price of the Sun. It's another Toei film made in the year before Puss, directed by Isao Takahata. Kodacha fansubbed it as well, and I was lucky enough to get a copy of it. It is truly an excellent film with a lot of input by Miyazaki as well (the position of scene design was created just for him).
Unlike Puss 'n Boots, Horus is still circulating among some distributors (such as Hikari's Anime Distribution while Puss is truely gone (those that have copies have horrible ones, and they aren't distributors). If, after we are done with Puss, there seems to be an interest in also "refansubbing" Horus, we would be glad to contribute a lot of time. Unfortunately, we had to hire a translator for Puss, and so this will be the last project we can burn a lot of money on for a long time. I wish I had know about this forum sooner, and then maybe I could have gotten a free translator. But oh well, what's done is done, and we have a good translator all the same. Our website (for the moment), is here . However, we are concentrating on the fansub itself, and not on our website, so it is extremely plain and incomplete (some of the pages still have the Angelfire default ); but nevertheless, we did manage to get an unedited version of our script; so you can enjoy that. As for timing, we don't seem to be having any trouble, although if it gets to be way in July and the timing's taking forever, we won't hestitate to ask for help. Also, once the finished product is done, we'll want an editor/checker to check and make sure the times and sentence breaks flow well, and that it was encoded in an acceptable quality. Our source is the R2 DVD, which I guarantee you from personal experience is loads better than Kodacha's ol' LDs , which we ripped to DivX. We're subbing it with SSA and Virtualdub, and then encoding it in DivX again. We're definitely containing a little intro, like Kodacha did with Horus, and maybe the theatrical trailer (if we can't rip it soon, we'll put it in a later version).
Old 2004-05-26, 23:12   Link #7
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I have an excellent SVHS copy of a Horus: Prince of the Sun fansub... Do you think it'd be worth capturing? I could do it tomorrow, if people say they'll download it

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 23:33   Link #8
Excel 2004
Please Fix My Avatar

Send a message via AIM to Excel 2004
My name is Excel 2004 and I am interested in editing for this project. I can be contacted via Animesuki Private Messaging or e-mail address excel{dot}2004{at}cox{dot}net.

Signed, Excel 2004
Excel 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 00:02   Link #9
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
I have an excellent SVHS copy of a Horus: Prince of the Sun fansub... Do you think it'd be worth capturing? I could do it tomorrow, if people say they'll download it

-Tofu
OMG you tempt me! Do it! Do it!

And thanks for subbing Puss in Boots! I've had my eye on it too. I've been thinking about buying some French DVDs of Puss in Boots, Horus, and Legend of the White Serpent, but I'm having trouble finding information on them other than that I know they exist...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 00:06   Link #10
curlyconnor

Quote:

-Tofu
OMG, that would be awesome, mine's a 1st Gen VHS (as I didn't really become a videophile until after VHS's height was over, I don't own an SVHS deck), it's ok quality, but it ghosts a lot. If you could capture it, man, that would be great. Also, for all people who volunteer to edit or time, how do I send them source? Is it customary to send a hard copy, or how do you move it. I haven't really gotten into the IRC thing, is that like the standard way?
Old 2004-05-27, 00:07   Link #11
curlyconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel 2004
My name is Excel 2004 and I am interested in editing for this project. I can be contacted via Animesuki Private Messaging or e-mail address excel{dot}2004{at}cox{dot}net.

Signed, Excel 2004
Sure, I'll be contacting you in private soon. Just wondering, would you be interested in timing for this project as well?
Old 2004-05-27, 01:12   Link #12
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyconnor
OMG, that would be awesome, mine's a 1st Gen VHS (as I didn't really become a videophile until after VHS's height was over, I don't own an SVHS deck), it's ok quality, but it ghosts a lot. If you could capture it, man, that would be great. Also, for all people who volunteer to edit or time, how do I send them source? Is it customary to send a hard copy, or how do you move it. I haven't really gotten into the IRC thing, is that like the standard way?
Umm, if it's a divx file or something there is no real standard way to send it Whatever works easiest and best for both parties

AIM file send, irc dcc send, ftp, webserver, CD in the mail, etc

And sure, I'll dig up the tape tomorrow.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 02:09   Link #13
a7m4

Quote:
And sure, I'll dig up the tape tomorrow.

-Tofu
Thank you!!! The video quality on my VHS copy is pretty bad. I have been wanting to get a digital copy somehow.

Also, the French DVD release of Horus or Puss doesn't happen to have English subs, right?

Last edited by a7m4; 2004-05-27 at 05:53.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 04:22   Link #14
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Ummm... I believe there's a release of Horus, Prince of the Sun here in Portugal... as well as several other old Toei animes (Tom Sawyer, Future Boy Conan, etc).

If you wish i ccould rip the DVD... downsize of it: Doesn't have english subs
Old 2004-05-27, 07:11   Link #15
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Ummm... I believe there's a release of Horus, Prince of the Sun here in Portugal... as well as several other old Toei animes (Tom Sawyer, Future Boy Conan, etc).

If you wish i ccould rip the DVD... downsize of it: Doesn't have english subs
But they have a Japanese soundtrack ? I ask because my experience shows European releases of older anime most time are "dub only" (at least when talking about French releases and Italian releases).

BTW, Tom Sawyer and Future Boy Conan aren't Toei titles, but Nippon Animation titles.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 07:59   Link #16
curlyconnor

Quote:
Also, the French DVD release of Horus or Puss doesn't happen to have English subs, right?
Nope, at least according to nausicaa.net .
Old 2004-05-27, 08:18   Link #17
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
But they have a Japanese soundtrack ? I ask because my experience shows European releases of older anime most time are "dub only" (at least when talking about French releases and Italian releases).

BTW, Tom Sawyer and Future Boy Conan aren't Toei titles, but Nippon Animation titles.
Eh, sorry for putting Tom Sawyer and Future Boy Conan on the Toei part.

Yes, the Horus release has the Japanese soundtrack. Nausicaa.net confirms that:

Format:
DVD (Region 2, PAL)

Publisher:
New Age Entertainment

Date:
2 August 2002

Catalog #:
5864/02

Runtime:
82 minutes

Price:
€25.5

Notes:
Picture: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic). Audio: Japanese (stereo) and Portuguese (stereo) with Portuguese subtitles. Extras: Trailer, image gallery, and filmography of Takahata and Miyazaki.
Old 2004-05-27, 11:08   Link #18
jennwenn

Quote:
The French DVD is new I think, so it may not be on Nausicaa.net yet. Its being distributed by Wide Side Films but their website doesn't say anything about which languages are an option or where I can purchase a copy! (Or else I suck at websurfing...) It probably won't have English, French anime DVDs rarely do. I'm hoping it will though, as my French is only passable (but better than my Japanese).
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 13:07   Link #19
FarthingRedFox

don't you mean "Puss 'n Boots"
the anime (or) movie that translated into a terrible american NES game?
FarthingRedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 14:14   Link #20
curlyconnor

It can be translated as Puss in Boots, Puss 'n Boots, or even The Cat that Wore the Boots. It doesn't matter. For our fansub though, we're calling it Puss 'n Boots, with the literal translation underneith. As for the NES game, I knew there was a Famicom game at least in Japan, I didn't know it came here, and I had no idea on the quality of it. It doesn't matter though, because we're doing the anime, not any game...