AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-06, 03:25   Link #3221
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Getting stuck in traffic for 5 hours is no joke... it's even worse when the culprit is someone who is merely threatening suicide. Shove em' I say, and let there be open lanes.
I salute the fella who pushed the suicidal man down. That's called acting in the interests of the people.
Old 2009-07-06, 04:03   Link #3222
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428 View Post
I salute the fella who pushed the suicidal man down. That's called acting in the interests of the people.
That is a pragmatic way of thinking.

Solving problems by the root, I like that.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-07-06, 04:14   Link #3223
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is a pragmatic way of thinking.

Solving problems by the root, I like that.
Now, if only there was a penalty for suicide to the families too, like what JR does to suicides on its property. I think it's a good deterrent. I always believed in deterrents like Lee Kuan Yew.
Old 2009-07-06, 04:20   Link #3224
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Now, if only there was a penalty for suicide to the families too, like what JR does to suicides on its property. I think it's a good deterrent. I always believed in deterrents like Lee Kuan Yew.
Though making a politician from a state in which you just broke away inspect your Leclerc tanks and forcing citizens to donate their organs when they die sounds "bitchy" and "inhumane" respectively, but the benefits reaped surpassed the discontent generated by the people have proven to be effective in sustaining such a teeny sized island.

It is not whether a single person is happy or not, it is whether the MASSES are happy or not that reflects on the government's effectiveness.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-07-06, 05:43   Link #3225
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Though making a politician from a state in which you just broke away inspect your Leclerc tanks and forcing citizens to donate their organs when they die sounds "bitchy" and "inhumane" respectively, but the benefits reaped surpassed the discontent generated by the people have proven to be effective in sustaining such a teeny sized island.

It is not whether a single person is happy or not, it is whether the MASSES are happy or not that reflects on the government's effectiveness.
Uhm. That borders on violation of human rights. And, no, I don't get the Leclerc reference.
Old 2009-07-06, 05:46   Link #3226
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
More big trouble in little China~

Scores killed in China Protests
Violence in China's restive western region of Xinjiang has left at least 140 people dead and more than 800 people injured, state media say...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-07-06, 05:56   Link #3227
Shadow Kira01

Sub seen returning to Israel via Suez

Due to the nuclear threat the Iranians pose, Israel will most likely be striking down some of their problematic military facilities and the United States will not be intervening as that this is a conflict between two independent nations in a different continent.

Although Iran is making threats that they will launch an all-out counter-offensive if Israel dare pull of a military operation but chances are it could all just be a bluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Violence in China's restive western region of Xinjiang has left at least 140 people dead and more than 800 people injured, state media say...
It appears that the Muslims have finally woke up but unfortunately, it also appears that there is very little they can do against a full-scale military invasion.
Old 2009-07-06, 05:56   Link #3228
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Usual stuff. You see, that's the problem with Xinjiang. The Uighurs resent the Han Chinese coming in to Xinjiang and "taking their jobs". However true it is, I have no idea. But what I do know is that this is exactly the same problem as Taiwan and Tibet. Basically, the government in Beijing only cares about the Han. And without US intervention in Taiwan, I can say with some assurance that China would have tried to do something there too.

As it is, China rejects all notions that the government created the mess.

For a more informative read, try this.

But here's the shocker.
Quote:
Truckloads of German Shepherd police dogs were also brought into Urumqi and large swathes of the Muslim quarter of the city were sealed off, the reporter said.
This from Singapore's Channelnews Asia.

DOGS!? In a Muslim area!? Nutjobs for sure they are.
Maybe the biggest mistake China did was to make Xinjiang autonomous. When they did, Han Chinese flocked there to open shop, and then the Uighurs also wanted independence at the same time. THey should have just used the SAR system.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:38   Link #3229
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*

Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
Usual stuff. You see, that's the problem with Xinjiang. The Uighurs resent the Han Chinese coming in to Xinjiang and "taking their jobs". However true it is, I have no idea. But what I do know is that this is exactly the same problem as Taiwan and Tibet. Basically, the government in Beijing only cares about the Han. And without US intervention in Taiwan, I can say with some assurance that China would have tried to do something there too.

As it is, China rejects all notions that the government created the mess.

For a more informative read, try this.

But here's the shocker.

This from Singapore's Channelnews Asia.

DOGS!? In a Muslim area!? Nutjobs for sure they are.
Maybe the biggest mistake China did was to make Xinjiang autonomous. When they did, Han Chinese flocked there to open shop, and then the Uighurs also wanted independence at the same time. THey should have just used the SAR system.
Sigh, now the Chinese forums are full of anti-Uighur sentiments (and vice versa, I guess).
IMO, the concept of the SAR system was brought up a little bit late to be put in use for Xinjiang.
+Taiwan is a totally different story.

BTW, according to CCTV, (if anyone still wants to believe), the deaths are mainly Han-Chinese.
Pictures are also circled around the internet showing people soaked in blood, and dead little children.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:40   Link #3230
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec4rhapsody View Post
Sigh, now the Chinese forums are full of anti-Uighur sentiments (and vice versa, I guess).
IMO, the concept of the SAR system was brought up a little bit late to be put in use for Xinjiang.
They could always implement it now. Too bad PRC is insistent on not doing so. "Xinjiang and Tibet were always Chinese, and will never be SARs", so one government official said some time ago.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:46   Link #3231
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*

Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
They could always implement it now. Too bad PRC is insistent on not doing so. "Xinjiang and Tibet were always Chinese, and will never be SARs", so one government official said some time ago.
Impossible, stability is the first principle in China and I guess the vested interest is the main obstacle for any reforms.
Old 2009-07-06, 08:03   Link #3232
封鎖された渋谷で

US condemns N Korea missile launch

Quote:

The US has urged North Korea not to "aggravate tensions" after the country test-fired a further round of missiles.

North Korea launched seven ballistic missiles on Saturday, coinciding with the US's Independence Day celebrations, further raising regional and international tensions.

Karl Duckworth, a Us state department spokesman, said: "North Korea should refrain from actions that aggravate tensions and focus on denuclearisation talks and the implementation of its commitments from the September 19, 2005, joint statement.

"This type of North Korean behaviour is not helpful."
I personally find it discouraging that the US can only condemn and sanction, and nothing else.
Old 2009-07-06, 09:53   Link #3233
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Robert McNamara dies at age 93. Whoa.
Old 2009-07-06, 10:16   Link #3234
Thingle
Banned

Quote:

I personally find it discouraging that the US can only condemn and sanction, and nothing else.
Yeah. Sorry U.S. Allies in the region. Your eagle thinks it has so much to lose if they do walk their walk...
Old 2009-07-06, 10:41   Link #3235
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:

I couldn't help but frown a little and scratch my head here. Though I'm not going to say you guys are part of it - I have no way of telling, and the comment isn't specifically directed at anyone here in particular, if I remember correctly the last time we did more than "condemn and sanction", the whole World pointed at us with enraged fingers and called us criminals of war. What gives? If intel pointed out Iraq had WMDs at the time of the invasion but was disproved otherwise, what makes anyone think NK will be any different? Does that mean we have to spend resources we already don't have in taking stronger measures against North Korea and become the laughing stock of the International community once more?

Don't get me wrong, I'm here hoping something is done soon, but I can't help but find it funny that the US is always the go-to handyman everyone looks at when shit breaks down. It's like we're that very skilled but somewhat crude plumber that gets the job done, but won't take your Chihuahua out for a walk when she needs. Everyone looks at France with awe-inspired eyes for their defense of human rights and sensibility, so why don't they take out a few North Korean nuclear facilities and cuts the US some slack?

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2009-07-06, 11:00   Link #3236
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
I couldn't help but frown a little and scratch my head here. Though I'm not going to say you guys are part of it - I have no way of telling, and the comment isn't specifically directed at anyone here in particular, if I remember correctly the last time we did more than "condemn and sanction", the whole World pointed at us with enraged fingers and called us criminals of war. What gives? If intel pointed out Iraq had WMDs at the time of the invasion but was disproved otherwise, what makes anyone think NK will be any different? Does that mean we have to spend resources we already don't have in taking stronger measures against North Korea and become the laughing stock of the International community once more?

Don't get me wrong, I'm here hoping something is done soon, but I can't help but find it funny that the US is always the go-to handyman everyone looks at when shit breaks down. It's like we're that very skilled but somewhat crude plumber that gets the job done, but won't take your Chihuahua out for a walk when she needs. Everyone looks at France with awe-inspired eyes for their defense of human rights and sensibility, so why don't they take out a few North Korean nuclear facilities and cuts the US some slack?
Nobody likes to get their hands dirty. That is the problem. Apparently some people think that "As long as the missiles are not aimed at us, we are fine."*

Obviously these people are history nuts or are born outside the Cold War's peak periods.

Besides I think military intervention is the way to go, but everyone is looking for US to send their SOF in to clean up the mess (or create a mess Kim is never going to recover from). So it is pretty much like politically maneuvering someone else to do the shitjobs for your sake.

* - These people don't think about the future of anime. The nearest allies of US NK can nuke are SK and Japan.

Old 2009-07-06, 12:29   Link #3237
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
the whole World
mmmm not really. There WAS a lot of support during the initial days.

You don't want your country be handy-man, then stop preaching about democracy and act like an honest self-serving empire without any pretense. Wage wars for oil? Ok fine, but say it as it is and do not make it sound like you're "liberating" oppressed peoples.
Old 2009-07-06, 12:49   Link #3238
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post

You don't want your country be handy-man, then stop preaching about democracy and act like an honest self-serving empire without any pretense. Wage wars for oil? Ok fine, but say it as it is and do not make it sound like you're "liberating" oppressed peoples.
Actually people always find motive for a war don't they? The third Sino-Vietnamese have proven that China is willing to send in troops to "teach Vietnam a little lesson" when they are actually looking to justify their act of stemming the original communism by killing a few hundred. Also was Vietnam vs the Khmer Rouge as "liberating the oppressors", Japanese stance in WWII of "creating a greater Asian co-prosperity sphere", Iran-Iraq War (protecting the Shiites), the precursor of Desert Storm (Kuwait was slant drilling into Iraq's oilfields), etc.

The Green Beret's motto is "De Oppresso Liber" or "To liberate the oppressed" in Latin. Though their actions are not always welcome, their "liberating of the oppressed" should be welcomed if they didn't create a mess like Afghanistan in the 1970s or Vietnam. Nevertheless, each scenario should be treated separately before we can pass judgements about each and every special activities unit.

Old 2009-07-06, 13:05   Link #3239
Thingle
Banned

I tell you man, The USA will be much better off if it stops being the synonym of the words "liberator" or "democracy". They won't be pressured to "condemn" the "evildoers" everytime anymore and thus, would get rid of this stupid double standard that puts them at a disadvantage.

Beacon of freedom no more. Be the empire you really are.
Old 2009-07-06, 13:19   Link #3240
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post

I'll agree with that. And I won't be as naive as to say there weren't second motives in the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. There were. But how about North Korea? Don't you think we have a lot to gain from having one more ally in the region? If Iraq is our current base of operations in the middle east, wouldn't having a nice little piece of land in East Asia benefit us as well? We have allies in the region, but wouldn't we benefit a bit more from "occupying" a country there?

My point is that you can't be outraged at a slaughterhouse if you eat meat. It's pure hypocrisy. Likewise, you can't be outraged when the US takes action after you're outraged it's taking no action whatsoever. Unfortunately I can't give much insight into current World events, what the implications of a direct military action would mean to our economy and to the current administration's chain of command.

I have no doubt that something will be done sooner or later. Better sooner than later, preferably before we have a nuke going out somewhere in the World. Be it Japan, South Korea, or even a bomb that went off prematurely or a missile that failed and ended up causing disaster to the North Koreans themselves.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international