AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-09-05, 11:17   Link #221
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

You know, given that Soma has referenced older anime like Yu-Gi-Oh and others, it wouldn't surprise me if he took that "battleship with wheels" idea from the notorious Adrastea-class battleships that have flattened armies, cities & fortresses under their gigantic wheels in Victory Gundam.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

As for the battles in this episode, for an anime with limited budget & resources, they actually got their animation priorities right. They did the boring fortress charge using still frames while they poured their animation resources for the aerial battle which is much more exciting to watch. Good stuff.

Even though tactics are not detailed, I still enjoy this episode. Don't know how Soma will deal with the army who have waited until dawn there but we'll see.
Old 2021-09-05, 11:32   Link #222
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
You know, given that Soma has referenced older anime like Yu-Gi-Oh and others, it wouldn't surprise me if he took that "battleship with wheels" idea from the notorious Adrastea-class battleships that have flattened armies, cities & fortresses under their gigantic wheels in Victory Gundam.

Images

As for the battles in this episode, for an anime with limited budget & resources, they actually got their animation priorities right. They did the boring fortress charge using still frames while they poured their animation resources for the aerial battle which is much more exciting to watch. Good stuff.

Even though tactics are not detailed, I still enjoy this episode. Don't know how Soma will deal with the army who have waited until dawn there but we'll see.
I've seen people thinking it was a Space Battleship Yamato reference. All it's missing is a Wave Motion Gun .
Old 2021-09-05, 17:58   Link #223
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Just realized I can finally say it...

The device I was talking about several pages earlier is actually the transmission gemstone, since it's portable .

That being said, I still don't get what happened with the Fortress, and I didn't in the Manga either.

The anime made it seem like they were building one from scratch, while the manga suggested they restored a no longer used one.

Also that's a very weak cannon Carmine has there... I also still think he looks more imposing in the Manga. Same goes for Beowulf. :P

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-06, 12:37   Link #224
zeross87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Just realized I can finally say it...

The device I was talking about several pages earlier is actually the transmission gemstone, since it's portable .

That being said, I still don't get what happened with the Fortress, and I didn't in the Manga either.

The anime made it seem like they were building one from scratch, while the manga suggested they restored a no longer used one.

Also that's a very weak cannon Carmine has there... I also still think he looks more imposing in the Manga. Same goes for Beowulf. :P
They were really more like prefabricated buldings. the parts were constructed back in their capital, loaded on wagons and were assembled and solidified in place.

The cannon is weak because it's just a big ball of metal, it's not a cannonball with explosive powder.
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-06, 13:50   Link #225
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
They were really more like prefabricated buldings. the parts were constructed back in their capital, loaded on wagons and were assembled and solidified in place.

The cannon is weak because it's just a big ball of metal, it's not a cannonball with explosive powder.
Thanks for clearing that part up.
As for the cannon, that shouldn't change anything at all. In fact, it should make the cannon penetrate the wall.

Castle walls got seriously damaged from Trebuchets, which are not only less accurate, but also less powerful.

Note here how the wall gets hit so hard, it doesn't even fall down, but just gets penetrated.
YouTube

We have in the anime? Going by the gate 2 rows of stone bricks.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2021-09-06 at 14:12.
Old 2021-09-06, 14:05   Link #226
BWTraveller
Born to ship

It depends on a lot of factors, like the quality and design of the walls (and how well they were joined). No lord/king who could avoid it would set up a wall as flimsy as the adobe wall shown in that clip, and they would not readily let the cannons or trebuchets be brought that close. Typically it has multiple layers (large, hard and heavy stone blocks on the outside, front and back and smaller rocks and materials between). And there's a gap between a wall being damaged and being destroyed completely. It takes more than one shot to bring down anything that's even remotely well-made. The damage shown seems fairly close to what I'd expect really.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-06, 14:27   Link #227
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
It depends on a lot of factors, like the quality and design of the walls (and how well they were joined). No lord/king who could avoid it would set up a wall as flimsy as the adobe wall shown in that clip, and they would not readily let the cannons or trebuchets be brought that close. Typically it has multiple layers (large, hard and heavy stone blocks on the outside, front and back and smaller rocks and materials between). And there's a gap between a wall being damaged and being destroyed completely. It takes more than one shot to bring down anything that's even remotely well-made. The damage shown seems fairly close to what I'd expect really.
Yeah, I rewatched it earlier, and you do see the cannon ball. I was watching from 2.5 meters away where it looked like the ball had just burst and there was only a smudge without even a crater.

That being said, it's still a rather thin wall, so I'm still not completely happy with the damage.

Old 2021-09-06, 23:09   Link #228
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'm not so sure it's that thin. Typically in castles if you're looking over the crenellations then you're standing literally on the wall, meaning it's at least thick enough for people to walk around on top of it (or at least thick enough to support a slightly widened top that people can walk on).
Old 2021-09-07, 08:42   Link #229
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
I'm not so sure it's that thin. Typically in castles if you're looking over the crenellations then you're standing literally on the wall, meaning it's at least thick enough for people to walk around on top of it (or at least thick enough to support a slightly widened top that people can walk on).
We actually see how thick it is when the knights leave the fort. The thing they stand on is a wooden platform.
It actually looks thicker from where the Foxgirl is standing, but that's more likely perspective, as making the gate wall that much thinner, compared everything else, makes no sense at all.

Old 2021-09-11, 13:01   Link #230
Frontier

Souma finally confronts Castor in his snazzy new king duds, thanks to looking through the library for maps that reveal secret paths into his castle. Once again, it pays to be well-read and to check out a library once in a while .

Castor knows he's beaten, but he can't go out without a fight, so he and Aisha engage in single combat. Souma may be a Hero but he's not that kind of hero quite yet. But the deciding factor is short-haired Liscia coming in through Living Poltergeist to freeze Castor for Aisha to deliver the decisive blow. And then Liscia tells Castor that she's so loyal to Souma now she'd even go up against her father for him .

I love how Aisha didn't want to admit in front of Souma that she's a lot older than she looks. Dark Elf Genes are the best .

Poor Carla arrives just in time to see her father defeated and collared with a slave collar that puts him basically at Souma's mercy, and she has no choice but to let herself be collared as well. I mean, it's their own fault, but I kind of feel bad for these two .

And you can tell Liscia feels bad about fighting and then taking into custody on the possibility of execution people she's close to. Including Duke Carmine .

Well, that is one awkward sky carriage ride as Souma, Liscia, and Aisha travel with Carla. Liscia trying to save her best friend's life by stammering out all of Carla's good points so Souma can see worth in keeping her alive. Was she about to say how good her figure is outside that armor before Souma stopped her :P?

I love how Souma and Hal are such bros now .

Souma comes in with the air cavalry and short of holding hostages (which he won't abide by), Duke Carmine knows he's lost and makes sure the corrupt nobility are the first to get collared before having himself collared to mark Souma's victory. It seems like Carmine finally has shown some sense...until it turns out this was all planned from the start by Carmine to give Souma and Liscia a wedding gift of weeding out the corrupt noblemen and giving Souma an excuse to completely stop them and take full military power. This wasn't some stupid war general going out for one last fight, this was actual strategy to help Souma, the man Liscia chose. Jeez, now I kind of feel bad and don't want the guy to have to die for this .

And then things turnaround for Amidonia as Souma storms their capital while they're busy invading, and luckily the princess hid herself away while Souma and company take over. Souma outplayed everyone and decisively won on all fronts .

Okay, so Juna is also a ninja too, apparently? I thought that was her when I saw that one ninja had gigantic boobs .
Old 2021-09-11, 14:56   Link #231
Lex79

Quote:
Was she about to say how good her figure is outside that armor before Souma stopped her :P?
Well, even the armor cannot hide her pair of assets that seem on par with Aisha's...but unfortunately for her, no matter how beautiful she is, it seems Souma gives priority to maintaining his reputation as a king rather than adding a new girl to his harem.
One could say that Carla and Castor ended up as victims in Carmine's plot...but they were given chances to side with Souma and they refused, so now they have to face the consequences.
Speaking of Carmine, now that the truth has been revealed I hope people will appreciate his noble and heroic sacrifice.
On a lighter tone, one cannot help but notice the sexual dimorphism between males beastmen like Carmine and Beowulf and females like Tomoe and Kaede.
Old 2021-09-11, 17:13   Link #232
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Well, even the armor cannot hide her pair of assets that seem on par with Aisha's...but unfortunately for her, no matter how beautiful she is, it seems Souma gives priority to maintaining his reputation as a king rather than adding a new girl to his harem.
I guess one can appreciate Souma having his priorities in order .
Quote:
One could say that Carla and Castor ended up as victims in Carmine's plot...but they were given chances to side with Souma and they refused, so now they have to face the consequences.
Yeah, I kind of feel bad for them...but their own pride and headstrong nature put them in that position. Although I don't want them executed .
Quote:
Speaking of Carmine, now that the truth has been revealed I hope people will appreciate his noble and heroic sacrifice.
Yeah, I took a complete 180 on Carmine's character .
Quote:
On a lighter tone, one cannot help but notice the sexual dimorphism between males beastmen like Carmine and Beowulf and females like Tomoe and Kaede.
So same old same old .
Old 2021-09-11, 21:07   Link #233
Itlandm
Porcupine

They say the pen is mightier than the sword. And thanks to his magic, King Souma has three of them working simultaneously. So he is a mighty hero indeed. Being able to draw on the military history of two planets turns out to be quite useful, I guess.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-11, 21:45   Link #234
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just realized that Tomoe's role (as beast whisperer) has been shown in the OP sequence for just about every episode.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-11, 22:05   Link #235
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Just like Seton Academy...

Also, looking back, I feel like Carmine kind of chose his words rather carefully when talking with the other dukes. He probably really meant it when he said that Souma was being too aggressive in his attempts to deal with things, that the resentment from those he disenfranchised would come back to bite him. He just set it up to look like he thought the solution was to eliminate Souma, not the corrupt nobles.

Also interesting to see their conversation when Souma met with the dukes knowing that both knew the truth behind the plot.
Old 2021-09-11, 23:42   Link #236
moridin84
Custom User Title

This seems a bit rushed compared to what I remember in the LN but it doesn't seem too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I just realized that Tomoe's role (as beast whisperer) has been shown in the OP sequence for just about every episode.
We found out that she was a beast whisper and that it was a big deal at the exact time she was introduced though.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-12, 00:48   Link #237
Lex79

Quote:
Just like Seton Academy...

Also, looking back, I feel like Carmine kind of chose his words rather carefully when talking with the other dukes. He probably really meant it when he said that Souma was being too aggressive in his attempts to deal with things, that the resentment from those he disenfranchised would come back to bite him. He just set it up to look like he thought the solution was to eliminate Souma, not the corrupt nobles.

Also interesting to see their conversation when Souma met with the dukes knowing that both knew the truth behind the plot.
It would be interesting to rewatch the previous episode and listen to Souma and Carmine's dialogues, knowing what they really meant with their words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yeah, I kind of feel bad for them...but their own pride and headstrong nature put them in that position. Although I don't want them executed .
Souma certainly doesn't want too, both because they are capable people and to not make Liscia sad. We'll see if the slave collar will be considered enough of a punishment.
Old 2021-09-12, 03:51   Link #238
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
But Souma's question ("Why are you doing this?" and Carmine's answers were genuine. The context was just different from what it appeared.)

Quote:
It's not dimorphism, they're different races of beastfolk. And it's just coincidence that males happen to be of races with beast faces, while girls are of races with cute animal ears.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-12, 22:40   Link #239
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
To be fair, Kitsune are usually the ones looking less like foxes in anime, so the Fox-girl isn't surprising.
The (I think) Korean version of the Kitsune on the other hand, is animal like, and also something you don't want to meat Unless you've got a liver to spare.

I mean there are people who mistook Tomoe for a white fox, so...

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2021-09-12 at 23:13.
Old 2021-09-13, 01:48   Link #240
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

By this point I'm looking forward to Souma taking Roroa as a princess consort, thereby uniting the two countries together.

As for Carmine and Vargas, I don't want them to die, and they probably won't, so it would be interesting to see what their punishment will be.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote