AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-27, 22:24   Link #221
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
But what was Miu wearing cat ears with black wings
It's her work outfit. She hands out free packs of tissues to passers-by on the street to promote a maid café. There's a term for this sort of job, but I totally forget what it is now. Anyway, the money she raises through that job is what funds the club, since it's not officially recognized by the school.
Old 2011-10-28, 00:05   Link #222
sikvod00

I do wonder why Sana even bothered trying to be nice to boys if she really hated them. I mean, that PE scene in episode made her appear incredibly level-headed and accepting. Then there's the cooking scene in the same episode...It's hard to believe all of that was purely an act. Perhaps trying to give them the benefit of the doubt or turn over a new leaf? Whatever the reason, wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with Miu though. Her life revolves around senpai, after all.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 02:19   Link #223
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I do wonder why Sana even bothered trying to be nice to boys if she really hated them. I mean, that PE scene in episode made her appear incredibly level-headed and accepting. Then there's the cooking scene in the same episode...It's hard to believe all of that was purely an act. Perhaps trying to give them the benefit of the doubt or turn over a new leaf? Whatever the reason, wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with Miu though. Her life revolves around senpai, after all.
Yes, from what they showed in the anime, I take it they're saying that she was willing to give the guys a chance, but when she saw Shingo getting close to her Miu-senpai, that was crossing the line and "men can't be trusted after all".

If you're interested at all...
Spoiler for comparison of same to the game (only up to what was shown):
Old 2011-10-28, 05:22   Link #224
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Its unexpected but great that Airi's transtition from hate to accepting and even liking guys was so fast, it was only 4 episodes in. Liked to plot progression shown in this episode, neither too fast nor too slow.

But i guess the authors cant resist having one tsundere-ish person in the game/show. When one goes out, in comes another one
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 12:18   Link #225
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Like relentlessflame and vena, I find this anime fresh in its simplicity and straightforwardness. Real characters, and a rational evolution of feelings. It's a pure harem show (even if we now switch to another route), doing honour to the form.

Cool to hear that exaggerated voice from Iguchi Yuka as another underage nun.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 17:14   Link #226
Candyshark

God, Shingo is so smooth and mindful what else does he have in store?

Personally think Sena's defences crumbled too quickly. Birthday party was nice. What kind of mother does she have?

Last edited by Candyshark; 2011-10-28 at 17:25.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 04:21   Link #227
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for Megami NSFW:
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 19:05   Link #228
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I just want to ask who's the actual heroine in this show?

I think its either the Sakuno or the purple-haired senpai.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 20:02   Link #229
hyl
reading #hikaributts

All the 5 female characters in the opening are the main characters in the game, eventhough Airi is the most likely main heroine i don't think that's known yet what the anime will do (just like the ending of the anime version of Akeneiro Somaru Saka ).
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 00:54   Link #230
sikvod00

The last episode didn't make clear why Airi decided to live on her own and why the heck they never celebrated her birthday before that. We've already been introduced to her mom, and while she's certainly carefree for a principal, neglect doesn't seem to be a characteristic of hers.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 09:48   Link #231
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
All the 5 female characters in the opening are the main characters in the game, eventhough Airi is the most likely main heroine i don't think that's known yet what the anime will do (just like the ending of the anime version of Akeneiro Somaru Saka ).
I'd bet money that the anime goes with First Girl Wins[1]. As much as I enjoy the relaxed feel of the series, it's not going to break formula.

[1] Okay, First Girl Not Related to the Protagonist by Blood Wins.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 18:38   Link #232
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I'd bet money that the anime goes with First Girl Wins[1]. As much as I enjoy the relaxed feel of the series, it's not going to break formula.

Therein lies the flaw in your formula. Going by other VN adaptations we've seen over the years, "First Girl Not Related to the Protagonist by Blood Wins, except when it's revealed later that the first girl related by blood is not actually related by blood or she actually is but they don't tell you because it's a PG-13 adaptation and they still want her to win just because."

That's not by any means a spoiler for this show one way or another... but even "the formula" has some kinks.
Old 2011-10-30, 19:07   Link #233
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by hyl; 2011-10-30 at 19:09. Reason: Added spoiler tags, though there isn't a good way of handling that
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 22:33   Link #234
Vena
Carpe Diem

If its not Airi, they sure are using up a lot of time building her up. We had four episodes squarely devoted to her and Shingo coming closer together, next episode has her at the very least staggered by the events of the previous episode.

At this point, I can't see it being Sana, Angie, or sister who's name I forgot. Sister has acted wholly like a sister this whole time, Sana would need to undergo a pretty radical change (again), and Angie hasn't shown anything (though this may change, but I really doubt its going to be her).

And I really don't think this story is going to be following an omnibus format.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 23:22   Link #235
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
If its not Airi, they sure are using up a lot of time building her up. We had four episodes squarely devoted to her and Shingo coming closer together, next episode has her at the very least staggered by the events of the previous episode.
Well, it's probably important to note that, Airi's developing feelings notwithstanding, Shingo's feelings here are more hidden. We see him explain his behaviour at the end of Episode 4: he said that he did all he did for his own sake, because he didn't like the bad atmosphere. In a sense, with the scene that happened at the end of episode 4 (deliberately at the same park as episode 1), you could sort of say that Shingo and Airi are back to square one (perhaps just a little bit closer). While I definitely agree that this is not an omnibus anime, you could also say that Airi's "arc" is done now. It really all depends on what the anime writers decide to do from now on. With some of the hints they've been leaving, I personally don't think they'll do 100% Airi all the way to the end, at least... (but whether he ends up with Airi... I guess I'd have to make a bet...)
Old 2011-10-30, 23:37   Link #236
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's probably important to note that, Airi's developing feelings notwithstanding, Shingo's feelings here are more hidden. We see him explain his behaviour at the end of Episode 4: he said that he did all he did for his own sake, because he didn't like the bad atmosphere. In a sense, with the scene that happened at the end of episode 4 (deliberately at the same park as episode 1), you could sort of say that Shingo and Airi are back to square one (perhaps just a little bit closer). While I definitely agree that this is not an omnibus anime, you could also say that Airi's "arc" is done now. It really all depends on what the anime writers decide to do from now on. With some of the hints they've been leaving, I personally don't think they'll do 100% Airi all the way to the end, at least... (but whether he ends up with Airi... I guess I'd have to make a bet...)
Shingo, I don't think its all that much of a mystery where his affections lie: Miu and Airi, and he clearly loves his sister. He likes the former two if his subtler actions and reactions are of any indication. Now which of the two does he like more, well who knows. To note, I don't know how much I buy him doing everything for the sake of his personality and not liking bad atmospheres. I think that it is true to a very large degree that he did it because he hates a negative environment and most of his actions line up perfectly with that (from trying to calm Airi in school to taking on the load of the work to being a nice guy with everyone to smiling) but his asking for something in return which could possibly throw him into more of said negative atmosphere (had the problems not started getting sorted out after he made his request) is somewhat bewildering if only taken from the point of: he did it for himself because he hates bad atmospheres. Probably, his actions there were a bluff to calm Airi and make it easier for her to leave but I feel that that was a pretty terrible bluff if he was just out to avoid tension in the air. (He's a boy, and Occam's razor blah blah.)

Bleh, if were to analyze Shingo's character we could call him two-faced to some degree... and then we couldn't even trust what he says!

If we follow formula, the current design leans towards Airi with a possibility of Miu. This can easily change to lean more towards Miu, but I can't really see the other girls having much of a central role as to be the main heroine by the end of the show. The next episode or two will probably make it more or less perfectly clear where this show is going.
Old 2011-10-31, 00:06   Link #237
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Vena: good observations all around.

Quote:
To note, I don't know how much I buy him doing everything for the sake of his personality and not liking bad atmospheres. I think that it is true to a very large degree that he did it because he hates a negative environment and most of his actions line up perfectly with that (from trying to calm Airi in school to taking on the load of the work to being a nice guy with everyone to smiling) but his asking for something in return which could possibly throw him into more of said negative atmosphere (had the problems not started getting sorted out after he made his request) is somewhat bewildering if only taken from the point of: he did it for himself because he hates bad atmospheres. Probably, his actions there were a bluff to calm Airi and make it easier for her to leave but I feel that that was a pretty terrible bluff if he was just out to avoid tension in the air.
Well, I think he had a few trump cards that helped. First, that initial encounter in the park that clued him in that Airi wasn't a bad person. Second, Airi's continued friendship with Sakuno, and Sakuno's reassurances. Third, some minor past successes where Airi momentarily showed her true self. And finally, Airi's own arguments, which he effectively used against her, leaving her with nowhere to run.

I think he wasn't just trying to diffuse tension in general, but specifically with Airi, with whom he took a particular interest (due both to that initial encounter, and her role in the class). At the end of the day, they were forced together and would have to keep working with each other anyway, so he wanted to diffuse the tension with her as much as anything else.

Of course, your observation about the potentially two-faced way we could take Shingo's actions is clear for another reason that is more evident when we consider the source:

Spoiler for comparison to the game, to this point only -- no future spoilers... but do not read if you want zero source insight:
Quote:
Shingo, I don't think its all that much of a mystery where his affections lie: Miu and Airi, and he clearly loves his sister. He likes the former two if his subtler actions and reactions are of any indication. Now which of the two does he like more, well who knows. [...] If we follow formula, the current design leans towards Airi with a possibility of Miu. This can easily change to lean more towards Miu, but I can't really see the other girls having much of a central role as to be the main heroine by the end of the show. The next episode or two will probably make it more or less perfectly clear where this show is going.
Those were my feelings as well. Based on what they've shown in the anime, and the emphasis they put on Shingo's reactions to certain characters, that certainly seems to be what they're hinting. But as you say, the next few episodes should provide more hints about the "turn", if there will be one.
Old 2011-10-31, 00:25   Link #238
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Vena: good observations all around.

Well, I think he had a few trump cards that helped. First, that initial encounter in the park that clued him in that Airi wasn't a bad person. Second, Airi's continued friendship with Sakuno, and Sakuno's reassurances. Third, some minor past successes where Airi momentarily showed her true self. And finally, Airi's own arguments, which he effectively used against her, leaving her with nowhere to run.

I think he wasn't just trying to diffuse tension in general, but specifically with Airi, with whom he took a particular interest (due both to that initial encounter, and her role in the class). At the end of the day, they were forced together and would have to keep working with each other anyway, so he wanted to diffuse the tension with her as much as anything else.

Of course, your observation about the potentially two-faced way we could take Shingo's actions is clear for another reason that is more evident when we consider the source:

Spoiler for comparison to the game, to this point only -- no future spoilers... but do not read if you want zero source insight:
The one thing that does need to be noted, though, is that he could have just as easily blown the situation far out of proportions with Airi had the grocery event not occurred. He did have prior glimpse into her character to some degree (though how much weight he can put to it with just one such meeting is questionable) and her continuing friendship with his sister is a hint he also had going for him, but to put himself into a possibly negative position by requesting a study session sure is a perplexing thought for someone who supposedly avoids bad atmospheres. Had everything not played out so well for him with the grocery store, he'd have been in a situation that either:

a.) Exploded.
b.) Ended in bed.
(Also nothing could have happened but that's boring, so ignore that possibility!)

Now, I would have found the latter pretty hilarious and quite the change of pace for a story of this genre but I doubt such a dynamic would ever be taken up in a non-Nice Boat-ending. He really didn't need to put himself into such a possibly awkward position by making his request for study-time because, as you said, they'd be stuck together every day anyway and he'd have had plenty of alone time with her in a more proper environment to solve the problem.

At this point, I don't even think this analysis has much to do with the show or whatever may come of it, and just a delve into the psyche of the writer. :P

As for the rest:
Spoiler for oh no!:

Quote:
Those were my feelings as well. Based on what they've shown in the anime, and the emphasis they put on Shingo's reactions to certain characters, that certainly seems to be what they're hinting. But as you say, the next few episodes should provide more hints about the "turn", if there will be one.
Bring on more cute Airi!
Old 2011-10-31, 01:05   Link #239
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
...to put himself into a possibly negative position by requesting a study session sure is a perplexing thought for someone who supposedly avoids bad atmospheres. Had everything not played out so well for him with the grocery store, he'd have been in a situation that either:

a.) Exploded.
b.) Ended in bed.
(Also nothing could have happened but that's boring, so ignore that possibility!)
You're right that he clearly didn't think this all the way through. (I like the two choices! ) But actually, I think there's something in Episode 4 that tips us off here too -- at lunch, he was surprised that she took the promise seriously. So I guess he probably didn't actually think that far ahead, and thought only that it'd diffuse the current tension and that she'd either forget about it or he could brush it off later by making some excuse. I guess he thought it through about as well as when she invited him over to her house in front of everyone (getting closer to that option 2 already! ).

Quote:
As for the rest:
Spoiler for oh no!:
Spoiler for some inferring based on the game to this point:

Quote:
Bring on more cute Airi!
Cheers to that! If I were to make a list of "cutest VN heroines of all time", Airi would definitely make the list (along with Sana). Truthfully, if they gave me nothing but lots of that in this anime, I'd probably be totally satisfied -- I'm not that hard to please.
Old 2011-10-31, 02:58   Link #240
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I would also be fine with an Airi-centric anime But, I admit that playing the VN at the same time has helped immensely to increase my positive bias for her. Give me a likeable cast, fitting VAs and an *overall* nice story and I'm mostly satisfied. Heck, I've started to value a likeable cast more than most other points (i. e. the story can be as clisché and corny as it wants as long as it's not a complete "trainwreck")

@Shingo: I also felt that his study-tutoring suggestion was more like "I'll suggest this in order to respect your pride and point of view" than actually taking at at face value.

@"Main heroines" of the anime: Agreed on Airi and Miu, if only due to Shingo's blush and the glittery-sound effect *lol*. I'm pretty satisfied with Sakuno's sister role even though she could have a bit more screen time despite that she's not the most talkative person . And for her to become a "main competitor" I feel there would need to be a (future) event to trigger her flag.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen