AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-03-28, 00:13   Link #1
tweaker

mplayer or videolan?

I have them both currently on my openBSD box. What do you suggest for playback?

cheers,

tweaker
Old 2006-03-28, 01:18   Link #2
Fel
Clean up princess

As far as I'm concernced, mplayer should be your default player. It's much easier to control during playback, and it deals better with ogms and mkvs.

But VLC does pick up the slack in some areas where the mplayer falters, like embedded soft subtitles, status checking during playback, playing on top of other windows. I'm actually doing that right now.
Keep it around and it'll prove useful, but associate your files with the mplayer.
Old 2006-03-28, 01:37   Link #3
tweaker

Thanks.

What are embedded soft subtitles? I just started doing the fan sub thing via torrents. I used to just go to the local anime club and watch them.

tweaker

ps What is the best way to take these avi's/h.264's, etc and burn them to useable DVDs?
Is mencoder by best option?
Old 2006-03-28, 15:09   Link #4
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fle
But VLC does pick up the slack in some areas where the mplayer falters, like embedded soft subtitles, status checking during playback, playing on top of other windows.
MPlayer is superior in the softsub department. As far as I know VLC tends to display multiple subtitles that appear at the same time over each other which makes things quite unreadable. I'm not quite sure what you mean with status checking.
As for playing on top of other windows (I guess you mean stay-on-top-functionality?), there is the -ontop. It does not wirk for me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaker
What are embedded soft subtitles?
Softsubs are subtitles that are renderer by the player and not "burned" directly into the video stream. This means you can disable them, change the style or extract them from the container file, change the, mux them into other files and even print them out, if you so desire.
Old 2006-03-28, 16:33   Link #5
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
I prefer MPlayer over VLC because it's just much more robust. The advantage of VLC is it's GUI and that you consequently find all functions by looking for them. MPlayer also has an optional GUI but that only touches the tip of the functions and if you need something specific you'll have to dig through the manpage (not necessarily a disadvantage but just not so straightforward).

I also agree with Jekyll that subtitle support in MPlayer is superior to the one in VLC and with some tweeking of the settings, you can actually make them look pretty. ^^

Though VLC gets better with each version and it evolved from a buggy barely useable player to a player that one could use as it's default.

One thing I never really quite got the hang of (but also never really tried) is DVD playback with MPlayer. VLC does this very nicely and the few times I actually need this, I resort to VLC...
Old 2006-03-28, 19:41   Link #6
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Maybe it's just me, but Mplayer sometimes cannot detect really old video cards in Windows, thereby shutting down. And their softsub support makes the font look absolutely humongous.

But, Mplayer shines at running anime on an old Win98 500mhz K6-2 processor, so what can I complain about?

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-03-29, 10:10   Link #7
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
And their softsub support makes the font look absolutely humongous.
Default settings are quite bad but using a TTF font and with the various font-settings you can pretty much bend the subtitles to look any way you want. Here's my current subtitle config:
Code:
ffactor=3
subfont-autoscale=2
subfont-text-scale=4
subfont-blur=1.1
subfont-outline=3
subalign=2
subfont-encoding=unicode
subpos=95
font=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/luxisb.ttf
Old 2006-03-29, 23:06   Link #8
tweaker

What kind of box are you on?

I haven't messed with changing up the subtitle settings yet.

tweaker
Old 2006-03-30, 03:21   Link #9
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I use Windows XP home... guess there's not a lot you can do to config Mplayer on Windows.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-03-30, 13:25   Link #10
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Those options should work on Windows too. You just have to find out where to put the config file (named mplayer.ini in the build I use for windows). The font=-line would probably look like this: font=c:\windows\fonts\tahoma.ttf (or whatever font you want to use)
Old 2006-04-01, 08:57   Link #11
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

That's for OSX but works for any system provided you load a ttf font.
In the windows build I've seen the "config" file is usually placed in a directory called "mplayer" right next to the mplayer application.